Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

Bob Bayliss

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Bob Bayliss »

"Arteta, we're no better, so just GO, GO, GO!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB3fncWyVN4

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I said on the match thread, he wouldn't last until end of November.
Looking again in Sobriety, I can see him gone by early September, if results go the way I expect them to.
Will be completely futile, unless Edu goes as well, I actually believe he is a bigger part if the problem than Arteta.
I can see us rooted to the bottom of the table after 6 games.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

We could for the first time in living memory be 3 or even 4 games into the season with NO Points.

The Kroenke as we all know will bleed the club dry and use it as a business leverage in deals - then when we are totally screwed and fighting relegation they will sell - they both deserve to die in a plane crash or whatever.

Arteta was appointed having NEVER managed at any level before - I hoped that having been Pep's apprentice for 3/4 seasons? he would have a good set of skills etc but appears to have learnt Nothing.

Surely it is only a matter of time before he is sacked, at least that is the hope, mind you having said that knowing the kroenke's they would go for another Cheap and Unqualified option, so the debacle and decline just continue.

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

Lego heads comments on Willian yesterday show how deluded he is:
“ I think Willy is a player that needs to feel happy and feel joy and feel the supporters, and then express himself with the quality he has. None of that has happened.”

So apparently it’s our fault he’s a fat, lazy, useless crunt. :banghead:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Arteta is a Walter Mitty. The problem he has is that he has been given the opportunity and he is being found out.

The main reason we are failing is that his “philosophy” is to play a carbon copy of Man City. We don’t have the players, the attitude or the fight. Trying to play out from the back possession football is suicide with this side. Even City can mix it if they have to. We have nothing. No leaders. No fight. And several weak links. This Ben White guy clearly can’t head the ball. How the actual fuck has that been missed on the scouting reports before we signed him for £50 fucking million. :banghead:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Because his ball carrying and passing stats were through the roof for a centre half.

We weren't looking for a defender that can defend.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

We will have teams load balls into our box consistently. They have all seen the weakness White has. It’s going to be like playing Stoke every week from now on.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Although Neville and Carragher aren't the most popular round these parts they know a thing or two about defending, and called it out about White yesterday. Very good as the ball player with two big centre halves like Dunk and Webster alongside him, but not aerially dominant enough or strong enough as one of two centre halves. Neville said that when he played himself as a stand in centre half, he was ok as one of three but not tall enough or strong enough as one of two

Next week we face Lukaku. Tuchel might as well skip the rest of the field and just push him up on White

Mind you, the helmet in charge rarely picks the same centre half pairing so Holding might come in

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Absolutely right. White can only play in a three. So Arteta plays 4 at the back. It won’t have occurred to him that we have signed a £50m player that requires us to change our whole tactical set up. That tells you how much of a novice Arteta is.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:31 am
Absolutely right. White can only play in a three. So Arteta plays 4 at the back. It won’t have occurred to him that we have signed a £50m player that requires us to change our whole tactical set up. That tells you how much of a novice Arteta is.
Its a travesty that the bloke got the job to start with, let alone being given more time than his predecessor

The new manager FA Cup bounce was exactly that. Loads of bullshit at the time about players being bought into what he was doing. Well look at their body language a year and a bit on from then. The captain hasn't wanted to be here for a year, his star signing Willian never wanted to be here at all, and there's a loads of pay packet kids like AMN, Nelson and no marks like Kolasinac who are our players in body only, certainly not in mind or spirit

Apart from being given cash to buy out Mustafi and Ozil this fucktard and Edu have done fuck all about clearing out the shite

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:35 am
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:31 am
Its a travesty that the bloke got the job to start with, let alone being given more time than his predecessor

The new manager FA Cup bounce was exactly that. Loads of bullshit at the time about players being bought into what he was doing. Well look at their body language a year and a bit on from then. The captain hasn't wanted to be here for a year, his star signing Willian never wanted to be here at all, and there's a loads of pay packet kids like AMN, Nelson and no marks like Kolasinac who are our players in body only, certainly not in mind or spirit

Apart from being given cash to buy out Mustafi and Ozil this fucktard and Edu have done fuck all about clearing out the shite
The bloke is in a pit. Instead of climbing out of it inch by inch he’s got a big shovel from Edu and he’s digging deeper and deeper. Sacked in October.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Kingralph wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:40 am
Lego heads comments on Willian yesterday show how deluded he is:
“ I think Willy is a player that needs to feel happy and feel joy and feel the supporters, and then express himself with the quality he has. None of that has happened.”

So apparently it’s our fault he’s a fat, lazy, useless crunt. :banghead:
Ooh he's going down the Wenger route of blaming the fans fucking early isn't he? It took Arsene nearly a decade of inept failure to reach that particularly embarrassing low. This cùnt is there after one season!

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Quite often you look at a manager and a team and think that a couple of new faces might make a difference but I really can't see how anything would change. The only players we can bring in are the desperate or the hopeless and they won't do anything. This season will be an utter shambles and I can't see any way that we're going to be going past the Aumtumn without sacking him.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Astonishingly I now want this brainless moron gone more than I ever wanted Wenger gone even during Wengers shittest era of the Project.

There is simply no hope with this idiot.

I'm struggling to think of any instance in the entire history of football where a manager chasing a two nil deficit took off all his strikers and brought on a right back as his genius tactical gambit. :oops: Utter fuckwomble. :censored:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

At least under Wenger we'd flood the field with attacking substitutions trying to get back into a game. I recall one match where we had 8 attackers on the pitch, got back into it and Pires then played at right back.

(Can't remember the actual game just that it was at Highbury)