European Super League horseshit now a possibility?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Arsenal Till I Die

Re: European Super League announced

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Imagine of we are thrown out of everything.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:23 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:28 pm
If this is an alternative to UEFA competitions, not domestic leagues then I'll support the move. As an organisation, UEFA has been proven as being bad for football. A rival organisation would be good for football.
Premier League at the weekend, European Super League midweek then fine.
If it means opting out of the domestic league then, no, I would not support that.
Far be it for me to stand up for the corrupt c.unts at uefa and fifa, but a lot of what is wrong with the game has come from wealthy clubs looking to maximise money. Forming the premier league was all about money, most of the "fit and proper" tests for new owners is about keeping the status quo and not allowing clubs like the geordies break in with new money. Expanding the champs league, firstly to 2 teams and now at four teams for big countries, is all about the bigger clubs putting a safety net to ensure that they will be in it most seasons. Expanding the uefa and world cup finals is again about reducing chances of a big country not qualifying, and of course increasing the number of countries in it will increase the value of tv rights and buys votes.

If uefa had of stood up to the big clubs years ago when they fought to increase the champs league, the chances are that this breakaway would have happened then. Uefa bowed to the big clubs back then, and they have bent over for them every day since. When some people knock my love of nfl, I point out to them the financial parity system that they use and how it is a far better and fairer system - what we have now in football is a game run by greedy owners and clubs, and supported by greedy players, and I hope it crashes and burns
Isn't that what the people setting up the ESL trying to achieve? The soccer equivalent to the NFL. No relegation. Money gets spread amongst the participating clubs and the league administrators.
Now I can understand why so many American sport franchise owners have been buying into football clubs over the last few years, so they can join this league once it has been created.
UEFA / FIFA would never have stood up to the big clubs because the people running those organisation enjoyed being flirted with by the big clubs, because they were never good enough players to play for them.
The American owners don't give a shit about the big football clubs because they have no emotional attachment to football. It's just a profitable business.
Also, UEFA has done fuck all to reinvest money into grass roots football and the women's game. It remains a chauvinistic, racist organisation. Needs to be confined to history, along with FIFA.
The ESL will match the NFL structure. So, with that I'd imagine the financial parity it offers will match that of the NFL.
Sky created the monster that is the premier league and they're fearing for their future because they'll be left with the EFL, F1 and cricket. And F1 will be moving from them to a bigger platform such as Netflix or Amazon in the near future.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Nothing has happened yet. So, we can't be thrown out of anything.
A load of "false news" being spread about.
If UEFA or PL deducted points, threw us out of competitions then they'll lose any lawsuit brought against them.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:23 pm
How long before the name of the clubs get changed?

London Cannons
London Red Gunners

Come on Stan - if there's enough money on the table, I'm sure you'd agree to that

The final shame
It'll be just like the team names in Sensible Soccer. London Emirates anybody??

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

BFG4 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:00 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

London Cannons
London Red Gunners

Come on Stan - if there's enough money on the table, I'm sure you'd agree to that

The final shame
He can go lower than a name change, he'll probably relocate us aswell. The Americans don't give a fuck about moving teams elsewhere.
We've already relocated once in our history for financial benefit. Why not again?
Although, it has to be somewhere beginning with an "A", like Arizona or Arkansas.
Although I'd object to moving to Alaska, bloody freezing there.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:05 am
Imagine of we are thrown out of everything.
Better than being knocked out of everything, or relegated.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Thynker wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:29 pm
If the club's fans don't want any part of this super league then they know what to do.

This league only survives if the fans financially support it.
Disagree, this season has proven that clubs in PL and Championship can survive without fans.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

safcftm wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:01 am
Clummo99 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:56 pm
What a complete abhorrent fùcking mess the entire thing is.

The plan is to immediately ban all clubs involved from all domestic and European competitions.

So this season's Europa League final is now already known to be Villarreal vs Roma.

And here's the best one.......

The Champions League final is now already known to be PSG vs Man City. Both of whom are glaring omissions from the list of Super League founding members but are obviously 2 of the 3 remaining clubs that haven't been announced and both are owned by Middle East oil.

I'm sure we'll know after the final has been played.

Man City are in the 12. All the "big" 6 are. There's a lot of misinformation around. Uefa haven't decided anything yet. Hopefully they'll show some balls and fuck the lot of them off, but nothing is certain yet. This absolute joke of a competition can't be allowed to happen like
Yep I just read the Arsenal statement. I made that post after reading about Liverpool where Man City weren't named, only 11 clubs were.
Last edited by Clummo99 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arsenal Till I Die

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:19 am
If UEFA or PL deducted points, threw us out of competitions then they'll lose any lawsuit brought against them.
"Told all six Premier League clubs have quit the European Club Association along with the six other 'founding fathers' of the Super League." - @JBurtTelegraph

As have the other six members.

From a European perspective, it seems ties are being severed.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:33 am
Thynker wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:29 pm
If the club's fans don't want any part of this super league then they know what to do.

This league only survives if the fans financially support it.
Disagree, this season has proven that clubs in PL and Championship can survive without fans.
Particularly if there's even more revenue coming in from other sources.

This season has really killed the myth that the game is dead without fans. Just add some canned crowd noises over the top of the broadcasts and it's job done.

Arsenal Till I Die

SteveO 35 wrote:

London Cannons
London Red Gunners

The final shame
London Red Sox

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Whats the difference between the ESL with 2 leagues of 10 clubs & EUFA's 36 teams in 2 leagues CL proposal for next season? :cussing:

Fuck all that's what, remember when the Premier League was started, it was all about the bigger, richer better supported clubs getting more cash & keeping all their league match home gate receipts & making more commercial & media profits. :banghead:

The Football League First division gave the away side 20% of gate receipts for league matches, the TV companies were offering more cash every season but that still wasn't enough for the greedy top clubs. They said they needed the PL money to rebuild their grounds, fans also had to suffer obscene ticket price increases to help pay for all seated stadiums. :cussing: :censored: :banghead:

The players ended up with obscene wages, the fans still got ripped off & now we have PL "legends" & Sky media whores / former players like ratface Neville lecturing us, the sort of cúnts that have been stuck with their noses in the trough as players & pundits féck off you hypocrites! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

As for the PL, EUFA & FIFA, bunch of corrupt scum, I have no sympathy with their crying, this is all of their own making, the greed was started by them first. :blah: :barscarf:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:35 am
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:19 am
"Told all six Premier League clubs have quit the European Club Association along with the six other 'founding fathers' of the Super League." - @JBurtTelegraph

As have the other six members.

From a European perspective, it seems ties are being severed.
Juve's chairman Andrea Agnelli has resigned from the UEFA Executive committee too.

Could well be some legs to this.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

The French and Germans usually benefit from UEFA and FIFA competitions so no wonder none of them have joined up yet.
It's a midweek competition that doesn't affect domestic league. So, Neville can get off his high horse.
Surprised Liverpool have joined given the pride they have in European competitions. Good job we haven't won a European trophy in the 26 consecutive season we've been participating in UEFA competitions otherwise we will have to wipe them from our history.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Love em or hate em, a Euro Super League without Bayern Munich isn't quite so Super imo.