Arsenal history / Manor Ground site redevelopment.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Almunia is a clown

Arsenal history / Manor Ground site redevelopment.

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Was down in Woolwich & Plumstead last week & had a look around the site of the old Manor Ground & the Woolwich Arsenal. :barscarf:

The old Arsenal Manor Ground stadium where the first ever football league matches were played in southern England is going to be redeveloped for housing. Looks like there's 'gonna be some open park space right in the middle so we can even have a quick game of football when it's all finished to pay our respects. :mrgreen:

https://853.london/2020/12/02/greenwich ... ll-ground/

https://deserter.co.uk/2015/01/woolwich-arsenal-fc/

I've got some pictures to upload & had a drink in the Old Gun Pit / Ordnance pub which has proper Arsenal style cannons on the front just opposite the Woolwich Arsenal entrance.

I know the mods won't want another thread but this is our history & so maybe we could have a historical thread for the club.

DB10GOONER

Re: Arsenal history / Manor Ground site redevelopment.

Post by DB10GOONER »

Personally I love these type of threads. We've had a few about Highbury over the years.

I'm happy to leave it open and would encourage anyone with memories or photos to post them here.

Almunia is a clown

Didn't know Ian Wright was born in Woolwich until I read this article. It's a good read about our South London players & support. :mrgreen:

"Arsenal: A north London heart with players still nourishing its south London soul" :barscarf:

https://theathletic.com/2566446/2021/05 ... ndon-soul/

Almunia is a clown

Charlie Buchan returns to Arsenal.

Charlie Buchan, born in Plumstead, Woolwich, played as a reserve for Arsenal before leaving to become a Sunderland legend with 379 appearances & 209 goals. :mrgreen:

Later on he joined Arsenal again at Highbury & in 1925 & two years later led the club to their first FA Cup Final, negotiating a goal scoring bonus on the contract with Herbert Chapman. :barscarf:

He also contributed to the famous "WM" defensive formation devised by Herbert Chapman & the team. :barscarf:

After football retirement he was a football journalist, famous to later generations for Charles Buchan Football Monthly & his Football Annuals.

https://www.arsenal.com/historic/players/charlie-buchan

https://twitter.com/GoonerFrog/status/1 ... 44/photo/1

He's even got his own fan tribute site in French! Complete with some great pictures & video ! :barscarf:

https://arsenal-histoire.com/charlie-buchan/

DB10GOONER

Re: Charlie Buchan returns to Arsenal.

Post by DB10GOONER »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:38 am
Charlie Buchan, born in Plumstead, Woolwich, played as a reserve for Arsenal before leaving to become a Sunderland legend with 379 appearances & 209 goals. :mrgreen:

Later on he joined Arsenal again at Highbury & in 1925 & two years later led the club to their first FA Cup Final, negotiating a goal scoring bonus on the contract with Herbert Chapman. :barscarf:

He also contributed to the famous "WM" defensive formation devised by Herbert Chapman & the team. :barscarf:

After football retirement he was a football journalist, famous to later generations for Charles Buchan Football Monthly & his Football Annuals.

https://www.arsenal.com/historic/players/charlie-buchan

https://twitter.com/GoonerFrog/status/1 ... 44/photo/1

He's even got his own fan tribute site in French! Complete with some great pictures & video ! :barscarf:

https://arsenal-histoire.com/charlie-buchan/
Brilliant stuff mate. 8)

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

This bloke was my dads hero!!
He was always banging on about him being better than Wilson and Jennings {not sure about Jennings lol} Kelsey used to work in the tiny Arsenal shop at Highbury when he retired and my Dad used to take me there just so he could talk to Kelsey! No complaints from me!!

Jack Kelsey was a world-class goalkeeper during the Gunners' barren spell in the late 1950s and early 1960s, playing a total of 351 games.

After joining from Winch Wen in August 1949, the legendary shot-stopper made his Arsenal debut in a 5-2 home defeat to Charlton Athletic in 1951.

Kelsey was a true one-club man. He began and finished his career at Highbury after eventually ousting George Swindin as Arsenal's No 1 in the 1952/53 campaign.

Dubbed "the cat with magnetic paws" by the Brazilian national side, he won 41 caps for Wales - then a British record for a keeper. He was their goalkeeper at the 1958 World Cup, which remains their only appearance at the finals to date.

He also played for Great Britain v Rest of Europe in 1955.

Kelsey displaced two vertebrae at the base of his spine while playing for Wales in 1962 and was forced to retire. He later took up the post of commercial manager at Arsenal, retiring in 1989.

He passed away in London in March 1992.
Legend

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

My first game at Highbury was against Preston . Kelsey was in goal for us and Else for them , I remember the similarity of their names . 1956 I think.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

elpelsarmy wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:51 pm
This bloke was my dads hero!!
He was always banging on about him being better than Wilson and Jennings {not sure about Jennings lol} Kelsey used to work in the tiny Arsenal shop at Highbury when he retired and my Dad used to take me there just so he could talk to Kelsey! No complaints from me!!

Jack Kelsey was a world-class goalkeeper during the Gunners' barren spell in the late 1950s and early 1960s, playing a total of 351 games.

After joining from Winch Wen in August 1949, the legendary shot-stopper made his Arsenal debut in a 5-2 home defeat to Charlton Athletic in 1951.

Kelsey was a true one-club man. He began and finished his career at Highbury after eventually ousting George Swindin as Arsenal's No 1 in the 1952/53 campaign.

Dubbed "the cat with magnetic paws" by the Brazilian national side, he won 41 caps for Wales - then a British record for a keeper. He was their goalkeeper at the 1958 World Cup, which remains their only appearance at the finals to date.

He also played for Great Britain v Rest of Europe in 1955.

Kelsey displaced two vertebrae at the base of his spine while playing for Wales in 1962 and was forced to retire. He later took up the post of commercial manager at Arsenal, retiring in 1989.

He passed away in London in March 1992.
Legend
I remember many a visit to the club shop and Jack was there.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Jack Kelsey, one of my Dad's favourite players ever. (Dennis Compton was his fave but that was probably because Dad loves cricket too.)

Jack was a decent bloke if a little bit gruff at times. Smoked 80 a day when I knew him!

shu

Post by shu »

Bard and Clummo what was it like watching Arsenal south of the river ?

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

shu wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:40 pm
Bard and Clummo what was it like watching Arsenal south of the river ?
Is that meant to be funny? :oops:

shu

Post by shu »

Yes :D boys the war ended 75 years ago , take your gas masks off

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

shu wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:24 am
Yes :D boys the war ended 75 years ago , take your gas masks off
Gonna risk upsetting shu Farage here but his mentioning of the war got me thinking.... the English weren't world class then either. They did a great job holding Ze Germans to a one all draw before the Americans and Russians came in and won it for you. :lol:

shu

Post by shu »

ha ha :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

:wink: