Arsenal history / Manor Ground site redevelopment.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Naki_Gooner

Re: Arsenal history / Manor Ground site redevelopment.

Post by Naki_Gooner »

Bump. Great thread.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

(Dennis Compton was his fave but that was probably because Dad loves cricket too.)

Admit it , It was the Brylcreem.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Our best start since 1904-05 season :barscarf:

I found this from the funkyArsenal website, never heard of 'em before but a great article & pictures about the original Arsenal club and supporters who used to work in the Royal Arsenal Woolwich Torpedo factory & took loads of exploding fireworks to away games :barscarf:

2000 away fans at Notts County loads of fireworks :shock: & a pitch invasion after a victory! :barscarf:

Makes the Palace Ultra twats look like twats! :mrgreen:

https://www.funkyarsenal.com/post/1904- ... h-football

Another article about the Arsenal away support at Notts County :lol:

http://www.thearsenalhistory.com/?p=9243

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:10 pm

I found this from the funkyArsenal website, never heard of 'em before but a great article & pictures about the original Arsenal club and supporters who used to work in the Royal Arsenal Woolwich Torpedo factory & took loads of exploding fireworks to away games :barscarf:

2000 away fans at Notts County loads of fireworks :shock: & a pitch invasion after a victory! :barscarf:

Great find. Really interesting. 8)

I've mentioned it on here before that we had a Kop end before the victims. Nice to see it mentioned in that article.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:45 pm

Great find. Really interesting. 8)

I've mentioned it on here before that we had a Kop end before the victims. Nice to see it mentioned in that article.

Indeed we did, but of course they 'stole' it from us... Quell Surprise eh!? :? :roll:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

A cracking little read, thanks so much for posting, I really enjoyed that.
No wonder other clubs hate us, from the affluent south, loud, boisterous away support and then we went and had the audacity to become bloody brilliant and the most famous team in the world in the 1930’s.

Almunia is a clown

First English club to have our ground closed, fans attacked referee, so we got a 2 game home ground closure & had to play at Leyton High Road the former Essex Cricket ground against Leicester Fosse, & at Gillingham Priestfield stadium against Burton Swifts. :shock: The first ever Football League games played in Essex & Kent in 1885!

Obviously we had the 1st FL game ever in Woolwich Plumstead which was then part of London County Council. :barscarf:

There's also accounts of mass battles against Millwall in midweek games in the United League, fans with swords fighting with mounted Police & another similar occasion against the Swamp Dwellers! :box:

I remember reading we had our ground closed for another period, I think that was from an early 1990's book called "Roots of Football Hooliganism" about pre WW1 football.

It certainly was proper naughty down Woolwich, hardly surprising as the club had massive support from the Royal Arsenal Armaments factories which employed 100,000 & was described as a "secret city" :censored:

http://www.thearsenalhistory.com/?p=9998

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Almunia is a clown

The massive housing development at the site of the Woolwich Arsenal Manor Ground stadium site is well underway, the developers have published a brochure for "Lombard Square". Complete with central gardens at the location of the original pitch.

I'm not sure if Arsenal & the developers have plans to install a memorial indicating that Arsenal played Football League matches at the stadium for 20 years & also nearby previously.

Looks like there's not going to be much improvement in the local infrastructure to cope with an extra 1750 residents, the developers should have paid more towards the costs involved according to locals. There's a lot of traffic nearby with dual carriageway junctions & lack of safe pedestrian access to the nearby rail stations, plus a underpass which many will avoid using at night.

https://www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/-/media ... 3FBF66E607

Almunia is a clown

Wining league titles was never supposed to be easy, sometimes it can appear like a stroll, then in a couple of games, points are dropped, media get the knives out & the fans start to panic. :shock:

I thought I'd go down memory lane, as this is the history thread! :barscarf:

1988-89 Football League Division 1 English Championship.

7 games left, George Graham changes to a 5 man defence & brings in O’Leary as sweeper away to Man Utd. Tony Adams is derided by the national press as a donkey after being at fault for the equaliser 1-1

3 games left Dean Saunders scores a brace as Derby shock Arsenal with a 1-2 away win at Highbury.

2 games left, Wimbledon frustrate Arsenal with a 2-2 draw at Highbury, Arsenal have thrown away 4 points from their last 2 home games, most people believe they have also lost the title. West Ham lose 5-1 at Anfield, the extra goals mean Arsenal have to win by 2 clear goals to win the title.

1970-71 Football League Division 1 English Championship.

4 games left Arsenal are away to WBA, Frank McLintock scores a late own goal to give the hosts a 2-2 draw. Arsenal have previously won 9 games in a row. :rubchin:

3 games left Arsenal lose 0-1 away in a close encounter with rival title challengers Leeds, 7000 Arsenal supporters make the journey for a Monday evening game.

2 games left, Arsenal have another hard fought win at home versus Stoke, the same side who they beat in the FA Cup semi final after a replay. Eddie Kelly scores the only goal. Arsenal have to go to White Hart Lane for the last league game on another Monday night, whilst Leeds have played all their matches. They must win or draw 0-0, a scoring draw means Leeds win the title. The FA Cup final against Liverpool follows on Saturday.

I don't know much about previous league title successes, maybe I can find out more, I've heard we won the league at Stamford Bridge during the 1930's :mrgreen: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:33 pm
Wining league titles was never supposed to be easy, sometimes it can appear like a stroll, then in a couple of games, points are dropped, media get the knives out & the fans start to panic. :shock:

7 games left, George Graham changes to a 5 man defence & brings in O’Leary as sweeper away to Man Utd. Tony Adams is derided by the national press as a donkey after being at fault for the equaliser 1-1

3 games left Dean Saunders scores a brace as Derby shock Arsenal with a 1-2 away win at Highbury.

2 games left, Wimbledon frustrate Arsenal with a 2-2 draw at Highbury, Arsenal have thrown away 4 points from their last 2 home games, most people believe they have also lost the title. West Ham lose 5-1 at Anfield, the extra goals mean Arsenal have to win by 2 clear goals to win the title.

4 games left Arsenal are away to WBA, Frank McLintock scores a late own goal to give the hosts a 2-2 draw. Arsenal have previously won 9 games in a row. :rubchin:

3 games left Arsenal lose 0-1 away in a close encounter with rival title challengers Leeds, 7000 Arsenal supporters make the journey for a Monday evening game.

2 games left, Arsenal have another hard fought win at home versus Stoke, the same side who they beat in the FA Cup semi final after a replay. Eddie Kelly scores the only goal. Arsenal have to go to White Hart Lane for the last league game on another Monday night, whilst Leeds have played all their matches. They must win or draw 0-0, a scoring draw means Leeds win the title. The FA Cup final against Liverpool follows on Saturday.

I don't know much about previous league title successes, maybe I can find out more, I've heard we won the league at Stamford Bridge during the 1930's :mrgreen: :barscarf: :barscarf:
I think it was 1953 we won the title on goal average :barscarf: :barscarf:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:33 pm

I think it was 1953 we won the title on goal average :barscarf: :barscarf:

Almunia is a clown

I think we beat Preston NE 3-2 at Highbury, I'll have to check if I'm right now? :barscarf:

EDIT It was Burnley 3-2 at home, Preston were our rivals for the title. :barscarf:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/features/2 ... in-1952/53

5 wins in a row, home & away followed by a 0-0 draw with a 58000 Cardiff crowd in the 3rd game to go. Defeated away at Preston the title challengers, 2-0 2nd last game.

3-2 against Burnley, League title won on goal average. :barscarf:

I thought my auld father in law RIP was joking when he said he used to go Ninian Park in the '1950's & there was well over 50K in there! :barscarf:

Almunia is a clown

1947-48 :barscarf:

Arsenal won the Football League Division 1 Championship with 4 games to spare over their distant rivals, following a 1-1 draw at Huddersfield. :barscarf: They were top for 41 out of 42 games. :barscarf:

Last 7 games, not including the 4 games after the title was won, 3 wins, 2 defeats & 2 draws. A 17 game unbeaten run from the start of the season was the foundation of this success. :barscarf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys2vdV_r8No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZceHI1HR6rc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6J9-14ZzAw

https://arsenalarsenal.net/2018/01/28/a ... -7th-best/