Thank you

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Thank you

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:47 pm
Thank you again guys- all went well yesterday, he had a good send off, it was all lovely.
( I even hugged and spoke to my sister for the first time in nearly 11 years )

As the curtains closed he departed to the tune of “I’m leaving on a jet plane”, which made me smile, very apt as he spent his entire career airbone with the RAF then BA.

Oh, and I may have forgotten to mention that he was one of them from down the road. Apologies :twisted:

(Thankfully he never took me to see them, or god knows how I might have turned out, instead when we lived in London we watched Palace, Wimbledon, Tooting and Mitcham and Fulham when they had the likes of Best, Marsh and Bobby Moore playing for them !

How / why I turned out a Gooner, I don’t know as we were not exactly doing great in the mid seventies - the first result I can actually remember is beating West Ham 6-1.

He did take me to my first Arsenal game v Coventry a 2-2 draw in 1980, and many, many, matches at Roots Hall, Southend which became our local team when we moved away from London.

A couple of little anecdotes re my old man

When we lived in Hockley, Essex we were directly over the road to a Park that was a huge slope, and whenever it snowed people came from all over to ski, toboggan etc.
Every time I would go up and down with my mates on our toboggan, one year my dad came over too and came down with me on the back.
We ended up on the concrete path, which was solid ice, heading to the 5 bar gate at the bottom - anyway dad chucked me safely off the back and proceeded to carry on until the gate where he put his foot up to stop - and promptly broke his leg.
When I asked him why he didn’t bake out he replied that he didn’t want the sledge to get broken.

Finally on one of his work trips to Australia took Craig Johnston along with the FA cup, as Liverpool had won it that summer and Johnston was I believe the first Aussie to win it. I have a lovely photo of him, alongside the FA cup, Johnston in Liverpool tracksuit and a very tasty stewardess !

So, thanks again for best wishes and advice, I have many happy memories, photos amid it was a great comfort to know how much his wife (he remarried) loved and cared for him and how happy he was.

🍻🍻🍻 cheers all for the man love, much appreciated, I’m good but If I need a chat, it’s great to know you guys (and gals) are out there.
Great Post Stu. Some great memories of your dad in there. Sounds like a truly great bloke. 8)

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:47 pm
Thank you again guys- all went well yesterday, he had a good send off, it was all lovely.
( I even hugged and spoke to my sister for the first time in nearly 11 years )

As the curtains closed he departed to the tune of “I’m leaving on a jet plane”, which made me smile, very apt as he spent his entire career airbone with the RAF then BA.

Oh, and I may have forgotten to mention that he was one of them from down the road. Apologies :twisted:

(Thankfully he never took me to see them, or god knows how I might have turned out, instead when we lived in London we watched Palace, Wimbledon, Tooting and Mitcham and Fulham when they had the likes of Best, Marsh and Bobby Moore playing for them !

How / why I turned out a Gooner, I don’t know as we were not exactly doing great in the mid seventies - the first result I can actually remember is beating West Ham 6-1.

He did take me to my first Arsenal game v Coventry a 2-2 draw in 1980, and many, many, matches at Roots Hall, Southend which became our local team when we moved away from London.

A couple of little anecdotes re my old man

When we lived in Hockley, Essex we were directly over the road to a Park that was a huge slope, and whenever it snowed people came from all over to ski, toboggan etc.
Every time I would go up and down with my mates on our toboggan, one year my dad came over too and came down with me on the back.
We ended up on the concrete path, which was solid ice, heading to the 5 bar gate at the bottom - anyway dad chucked me safely off the back and proceeded to carry on until the gate where he put his foot up to stop - and promptly broke his leg.
When I asked him why he didn’t bake out he replied that he didn’t want the sledge to get broken.

Finally on one of his work trips to Australia took Craig Johnston along with the FA cup, as Liverpool had won it that summer and Johnston was I believe the first Aussie to win it. I have a lovely photo of him, alongside the FA cup, Johnston in Liverpool tracksuit and a very tasty stewardess !

So, thanks again for best wishes and advice, I have many happy memories, photos amid it was a great comfort to know how much his wife (he remarried) loved and cared for him and how happy he was.

🍻🍻🍻 cheers all for the man love, much appreciated, I’m good but If I need a chat, it’s great to know you guys (and gals) are out there.
Lovely post Sru, your Dad obviously lived a very full life and needless to say was loved by many, a man cannot ask for more during his time on earth.

shu

Post by shu »

Top class post , well done