Finishing Position for This Season (merged thread)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

What Will Be Arsenal's Finishing Position This Season?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:48 pm

In the Top 4.
3%
In the Top 6.
28%
In the Top 8.
31%
In the Top Half of the Table
19%
In the Bottom Half of the Table
19%
Relegation Zone
No votes

Total votes: 36

DB10GOONER

Re: Finishing Position for This Season

Post by DB10GOONER »

If these cùnts that own us do get shot of Martinez-Lite I guarantee they will replace him with the Big German Vagina. Internal solution for the owners. Internal combustion for the club. :censored:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:39 am
Five points away from 4th last season. That is not a huge gap at all. With 15-17 less matches to play mid week, this team can overturn that gap. Top 4 is a realistic proposition. The doom and gloomers amongst us on this forum are the loudest. Top 4 and a domestic trophy. Do it the old fashioned Wenger way.
i nearly posted something very similar yesterday,, but I just can't be as optimistic to think that a top 4 finish is possible.

Man City - no way we are finishing above them. Only thing they are useful for is buying up the best players from other teams. They can do us a huge favour if they buy Kane and Grealish

Liverpool - they had their blip last season, but still finished strongly and will take that into this season

Chelsea - European champions and improving under a world class manager

Man United - only chance of top 4 will be to finish in front of them, but they have far more financial firepower than us and Solskjaer is a season ahead of Arteta with his rebuilding.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:14 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:39 am
Five points away from 4th last season. That is not a huge gap at all. With 15-17 less matches to play mid week, this team can overturn that gap. Top 4 is a realistic proposition. The doom and gloomers amongst us on this forum are the loudest. Top 4 and a domestic trophy. Do it the old fashioned Wenger way.
i nearly posted something very similar yesterday,, but I just can't be as optimistic to think that a top 4 finish is possible.

Man City - no way we are finishing above them. Only thing they are useful for is buying up the best players from other teams. They can do us a huge favour if they buy Kane and Grealish

Liverpool - they had their blip last season, but still finished strongly and will take that into this season

Chelsea - European champions and improving under a world class manager

Man United - only chance of top 4 will be to finish in front of them, but they have far more financial firepower than us and Solskjaer is a season ahead of Arteta with his rebuilding.
My optimism stems from the form of VVD when he returns, the front 3 of Firmino, Mana and Salah have run their course and he needs fresh legs in there, which he ain't getting as they are redevloping the anfield road end, much to the disgrace of a disgraced local council. Personally, I think solskjaer has peaked at united with a comfortable 2nd and defeat in EL final. If Arsenal are serious we should go an get Abraham from the chavs. He isn't a run down has been, he will only improve like lukaku has. Laca and Auba aren't going to get any better. Laca averages 12-15 goals a season, we need 20+ a season striker. More importantly we need a goalscoring midfielder (willock) but now xhaka is staying arteta won't play him. I expect city and chelski to fight out for the title with 6 teams going for 3rd/ 4th.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:49 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:41 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:42 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:48 pm
Where Oh! Where Dost Thou Thinketh THE Arsenal Will Finish in The Premier League this Season?

In the Top 4.

In the Top 6.

In the Top 8.

In the Top Half of the Table

In the Bottom Half of the Table

Relegation Zone

Only One Choice and Once the Season Kicks Off (Friday the 13th :shock: :shock: :shock: ) The Poll Will Lock.
Hi mate, you've ticked the box to allow people to change their vote. Do you want me to untick that box for you?

Ooops! :oops: Yes please Mate. "Thanks".
No probs man. Done. 8)
:cheers:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Clummo99 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:48 am
I'm quietly confident of a decent season. Things aren't nearly as bad as some people paint them and there's still a few weeks of the window left. A good chance of a few more coming in and going out.

Can't quite see a top four finish if I'm brutally honest but we'll certainly be close again.

Pepe to be top scorer I reckon.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

WOW! I admire and respect your Optimism mate.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:55 pm
If these cùnts that own us do get shot of Martinez-Lite I guarantee they will replace him with the Big German Vagina. Internal solution for the owners. Internal combustion for the club. :censored:
That's my secret dread also.

I honestly think Rafa the Jaffa or even Nuno wotsit would do better than Captain Black.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I won't knock anyone for feeling optimistic, although I can't see where it comes from personally.

If I look at the main failings of last year:

1. Our GK has become an arrogant cock who made endless errors last year - problem not solved
2. Our RB position is perilous - when we say that our best option there is Calum Chambers we've got issues. Problem not solved
3. The least creative, slowest and most gormless CDM pairing in the league of Elneny and Xhaka played too many games. Paper ankles wasn't any sort of improvement. Problem not solved
4. We didn't have any sort of number 10 option other than ESR. Problem not solved
5. We didn't score enough goals and couldn't work out where to fit Auba/Laca in the team, and favoured paperweight Eddie as backup. Problem not solved
6. We rotated the CB partnership every week. Remains to be seen........

A terrible state of affairs, little more than a week from the start of the season. Problem 3 above will be a massive ongoing issue throughout the season and makes it nigh on impossible to get back into the top six

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:59 am
I won't knock anyone for feeling optimistic, although I can't see where it comes from personally.

1. Our GK has become an arrogant cock who made endless errors last year - problem not solved
2. Our RB position is perilous - when we say that our best option there is Calum Chambers we've got issues. Problem not solved
3. The least creative, slowest and most gormless CDM pairing in the league of Elneny and Xhaka played too many games. Paper ankles wasn't any sort of improvement. Problem not solved
4. We didn't have any sort of number 10 option other than ESR. Problem not solved
5. We didn't score enough goals and couldn't work out where to fit Auba/Laca in the team, and favoured paperweight Eddie as backup. Problem not solved

A terrible state of affairs, little more than a week from the start of the season. Problem 3 above will be a massive ongoing issue throughout the season and makes it nigh on impossible to get back into the top six
Doubt you have an optimistic bone in your body mate so that's quite understandable. :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:

Let me add to that -

1. The victims had shocking amount of injuries last season and we cant expect that to happen again. The return of van dijk alone will be massive for them

2. Manure were slow and mostly shit at centre back, and now they go out and buy a guy with numerous la liga and champions league medals and who is only hitting his peak years now. He is very fast and IF he stays fit, it is hard to see how he wouldnt be a big addition to their back line. Sancho is imo a luxury player for them imo cos they have too many players for that position already.

3. Chavski were one of the poorest champions league winners in history (that is down to you pep :evil: ), but they are a team that seem to have identified their weaknesses, and are now gonna spent big to upgrade. Big fat lukaku probably wouldnt be very high on my list of quality strikers, but at the same time tuchel has acknowledged that giroud and abraham are not good enough and one is out the door with the other soon to follow, and timo werner wont score the goals to win a league given that he couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo :roll: Chavski wont just buy .... they will buy big and will be heavily backed by the russian crook

4. Never thought that I would say this, but villa are doing good business - they are selling one player (for FAR more than he is worth), and are using that money to bring in 4 very good players. Yes I know that none are as good as grealish, but they will have a much stronger team given that they have strengthened a few positions. Danny Ings is a villa level striker, but he is a good striker for them and will score goals. They were shit on the wings last season and they go out and buy bailey who was a good player for leverkusen in the past few years. They havent spent massively overall, but I think they have made shrewd signings.

5. Leicester are doing what Leicester always seem to be doing ......... sitting quietly in the shadows, making low profile signings, but all the while building a really impressive team/squad. Ryan bertrand will be a great signing for them cos imo they never replaced chilwell, and bertrand will do that. I dont know anything about Boubakary Soumare only that he is apparently very highly regarded. Keeping or losing maddison will probably have a huge bearing on how their season goes, but as of right now they are in a good place imo

As Steve O has alluded to, all of these clubs are addressing positions that they needed to upgrade in, whilst we dont seem to even recognise our positions of need :oops: :oops:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Still 4 weeks to go , market has been dead so some people need dome patience. It seems to be moving a bit now but hardly any club has sold any players yet , that's where our problem is , until it starts moving we can't strengthen positions until we free up some space.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:17 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

Doubt you have an optimistic bone in your body mate so that's quite understandable. :lol:
True. Funny enough I used to be quite the optimist!

A combination of Wenger’s lobotomy and the Kroenke effect have ensured every last ounce of hope I had had been truly rinsed out!

When it temporarily threatened to return we appointed the novice and all of a sudden it was gone again !

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

See I never let it get that far to affect me so bad. My indifference is as much as I'll allow. It would have been a whole different story though when I was younger.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:00 pm
See I never let it get that far to affect me so bad. My indifference is as much as I'll allow. It would have been a whole different story though when I was younger.
It became a lot easier to distance myself from the emotion by not going to games - something that won't change all the while c.unt slop Kroenke remains owner and continues to fleece fans for grade A prices for a grade E product

Whilst a good moan on here is therapeutic, I refuse to let our results ruin my weekend or evening any more. The owner couldn't give a fuck if we win lose or draw, as long as the balance sheet holds up

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

SteveO 35 wrote:

In response

1) Agree problem not solved, no 2nd or 3rd reserve keeper in place
2) RB - Chambers and AMN would be adequate replacements for Bellerin. Neither made as many defensive mistakes, in fact assist wise both contributed more. There are not many decent RB out there available. Would you take Trippier?
3) Surely he cannot continue with Elneny and Xhaka...surely he can see they are not good enough. I'd take a 33 year Henderson ahead of either of those two, and even then he's about 10th on the list.
4) ESR contract situation sorted. Position sorted.
5) Both Laca and Eddie are on the way out. Balogun, Martinelli once he returns from the Olympics, and Pepe will be relied on for goals. If we can get Abraham for £25-30m he will score more goals than Laca and Eddie. Willock showed he can score goals last season from midfield but you've expressed your dislike for him in the past, so despite his record, you'll still say he's shit. Don't forget we will lose Auba and Pepe for a month at the ACN.
6) With White and Holding playing once a week, there won't be as much rotation this season. If they remain fit, they will be his main pairing.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:48 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

In response

1) Agree problem not solved, no 2nd or 3rd reserve keeper in place
2) RB - Chambers and AMN would be adequate replacements for Bellerin. Neither made as many defensive mistakes, in fact assist wise both contributed more. There are not many decent RB out there available. Would you take Trippier? Totally forgot,but can Tavares play RB?
3) Surely he cannot continue with Elneny and Xhaka...surely he can see they are not good enough. I'd take a 33 year Henderson ahead of either of those two, and even then he's about 10th on the list.
4) ESR contract situation sorted. Position sorted.
5) Both Laca and Eddie are on the way out. Balogun, Martinelli once he returns from the Olympics, and Pepe will be relied on for goals. If we can get Abraham for £25-30m he will score more goals than Laca and Eddie. Willock showed he can score goals last season from midfield but you've expressed your dislike for him in the past, so despite his record, you'll still say he's shit. Don't forget we will lose Auba and Pepe for a month at the ACN.
6) With White and Holding playing once a week, there won't be as much rotation this season. If they remain fit, they will be his main pairing.