Finishing Position for This Season (merged thread)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

What Will Be Arsenal's Finishing Position This Season?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:48 pm

In the Top 4.
3%
In the Top 6.
28%
In the Top 8.
31%
In the Top Half of the Table
19%
In the Bottom Half of the Table
19%
Relegation Zone
No votes

Total votes: 36

DB10GOONER

Re: Finishing Position for This Season (merged thread)

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:49 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:19 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:19 am
I am getting a bit fed up with people saying that we MUST get 4th place this season or else! :D

Can I ask - where were you when this thread was created last August?
As far as I can see only 1 person on here said that we could finish 4th, and that is the only person entitled to moan if that position is not reached come the end of the season.

I predicted 5th which I have always thought the most likely, because we have a good up and coming team but have always felt Spurs/ Man United had too much depth of squad for us to compete this season.

Yes I will be disappointed with 5th, but I will see it as an improvement and take it from there.
As long as all the young talent remains this summer and a striker is bought then I will accept that.
Hang on, Rob. Saying we must get fourth and saying we can get fourth are two very different things. I didn't believe at the start of the season we could get fourth. I think I had us anywhere from 6th to 10th. But the position we were in a couple of games ago, before the interlull, with games in hand, our nearest competitors in free fall, and with Martinez-Lite then stripping the squad to the bare minimum, the least he should deliver is fourth and if not then he has failed, he has got it wrong.

If he gets fourth then I'd back him for another season or two to see who he can bring in and if he can put together a title challenge. Not necessarily win the title but at least be in with a shout in May, rather than out of it in January or February. If he does not get fourth from the position we were in before the interlull and this latest run of games, then he has failed and has done no better than Emery - but having spent alot more money. And at that point I want him out.
Ok so a few weeks ago you must have been delighted with Arteta because he was exceeding all your expectations.
For me he is doing exactly what I thought he would at the start of the season.
Getting quite frustrated really - I haven’t been able to get excited or angry about anything this season!
Nope, apart from the FA Cup 8) win I've not been delighted with Martinez-Lite at all. I've been patient with him, I've been enraged by him, I've been disappointed by him, I've had hope dashed by him numerous times but no I've not been delighted with him mate. :(

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:53 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
I am getting a bit fed up with people saying that we MUST get 4th place this season or else! :D

As far as I can see only 1 person on here said that we could finish 4th, and that is the only person entitled to moan if that position is not reached come the end of the season.

I predicted 5th which I have always thought the most likely, because we have a good up and coming team but have always felt Spurs/ Man United had too much depth of squad for us to compete this season.

Yes I will be disappointed with 5th, but I will see it as an improvement and take it from there.
As long as all the young talent remains this summer and a striker is bought then I will accept that.
Hang on, Rob. Saying we must get fourth and saying we can get fourth are two very different things. I didn't believe at the start of the season we could get fourth. I think I had us anywhere from 6th to 10th. But the position we were in a couple of games ago, before the interlull, with games in hand, our nearest competitors in free fall, and with Martinez-Lite then stripping the squad to the bare minimum, the least he should deliver is fourth and if not then he has failed, he has got it wrong.

If he gets fourth then I'd back him for another season or two to see who he can bring in and if he can put together a title challenge. Not necessarily win the title but at least be in with a shout in May, rather than out of it in January or February. If he does not get fourth from the position we were in before the interlull and this latest run of games, then he has failed and has done no better than Emery - but having spent alot more money. And at that point I want him out.
Ok so a few weeks ago you must have been delighted with Arteta because he was exceeding all your expectations.
Getting quite frustrated really - I haven’t been able to get excited or angry about anything this season!
Nope, apart from the FA Cup 8) win I've not been delighted with Martinez-Lite at all. I've been patient with him, I've been Engorged by him, I've been disappointed by him, I've had hope dashed by him numerous times but no I've not been delighted with him mate. :(

I KNEW it! :lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:59 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:53 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Nope, apart from the FA Cup 8) win I've not been delighted with Martinez-Lite at all. I've been patient with him, I've been Engorged by him, I've been disappointed by him, I've had hope dashed by him numerous times but no I've not been delighted with him mate. :(

I KNEW it! :lol: :wink:
:lol:

FA Cup final win.... I had a fucking hammer hanging out the front of me trolleys. :lol: 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Totally convinced now that it will be a shoot out with Wolves for 7th. Probably a maximum of one win between now and end of the season

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

With manure imploding we could finish anywhere from 6th to 10th. Fourth though relies on us beating the scum and given that they have Conte and we have Martinez-Lite and they have strikers and we have none, certainly none that Martinez-Lite will play, I don't hold out much hope for fourth.

The sickening thing is I'm pretty sure at the start of the season I went with anywhere from 6th to 10th, certainly didn't think we'd get top 4.... is it really that predictable to us fuckers that haven't worked 30 years in football, but not blindingly obvious to the cùnts that own and run our club? Sadly I think it might just be.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

I don’t see where a win comes from. Brighton had lost 5 or 6 in a row. We were at home. Yes, folks, we lost. Every time we lose a game we lose a few. Every single time.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:25 pm
I don’t see where a win comes from. Brighton had lost 5 or 6 in a row. We were at home. Yes, folks, we lost. Every time we lose a game we lose a few. Every single time.
True. Very true.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Looks like we will be 7th or maybe even 8th - If only we had a Manager who knew what he was doing(*)

He keeps Clive
He off-loads Gendouzi (who is pulling up trees for Marseille)
He extends Saliba's loan (Who is - guess what - playing some great football for Marseille)
He keeps Clive! (That alone should warrant him being fucked-Off back in August)

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

What everyone constantly forgets is how crap some of the other teams are as well.

I stated 5th at the start of the season and I’m sticking with that, despite the results this week.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:37 pm
What everyone constantly forgets is how crap some of the other teams are as well.

I stated 5th at the start of the season and I’m sticking with that, despite the results this week.
Yep, united are absolute shite should be doing so much better, scum are not great, they are a Kane/son injury away from crises, but having devils own luck on injury front, take kane out and there not very good, chelsea are up and down, leicester out of sorts and west ham (jeez how are we calli gn them a rival) distracted by europe. all the cards were in our favour but Arteta has dropped them all on the floor, spilt his drink over them and trodden on them with dog shit covered shoes for good measure.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

United are shite, but wait till they come to our place....fill yer boots time

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:43 pm
That’s the big one for me now.
Cleared my diary for it :D
Saturday 23rd April 12.30pm kick off

The fifth place trophy final! :barscarf:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:06 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:43 pm
That’s the big one for me now.
Cleared my diary for it :D
Saturday 23rd April 12.30pm kick off

The fifth place trophy final! :barscarf:
West Ham and Man U are utterly shit but will still finish above us. I'm now actually not sure we will win another game until possibly the very end when Everton are already safe and Wolves have failed to catch us in 7th

The worst Man U side in something approaching 30 years will finish above us

augie

Post by augie »

The thing that amuses me is when I see Gooners referring to our current injury situation as a crisis, but this isnt a crisis in my book - for me a crisis is something that happens to you and beyond your control, but this injury situation is brought on entirely due to the comical fantasy that we could secure top 4 with a 17 man squad. I can already predict the legohead apologists coming out with crap about injuries when defending him - if these fools are so quick to credit him with all the positive signings we have made, then surely it is safe to assume that he made the decisions on who to sell too ? For most people that would surely be the case, but for the moronic hypocrites who champion arteta, they will credit the guy with signing ramsdale, tomyiasu etc, but blame edu for the sales/loans of every player that we allowed to walk out the door this season. I have zero doubt that auba, guendouzi and maitland-niles (for starters) would have made a contribution in the last few months of the season, but instead we sent them away to ply their talents elsewhere, and also paid their wages too.

Absolute fcuking lunacy and it looks like it will kill our top 4 hopes