Finishing Position for This Season (merged thread)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

What Will Be Arsenal's Finishing Position This Season?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:48 pm

In the Top 4.
3%
In the Top 6.
28%
In the Top 8.
31%
In the Top Half of the Table
19%
In the Bottom Half of the Table
19%
Relegation Zone
No votes

Total votes: 36

GoonerMuzz

Re: Finishing Position for This Season (merged thread)

Post by GoonerMuzz »

As others have said we currently have the potential to finish anywhere from 4th to 8th. I expect top 6 but it's not just about us, teams are dropping points all over the place.

All we can do is keep grinding on, I'm still far from convinced about Arteta but to coin a famous phrase I will judge him in May..... This fence is bloody sharp :roll: :wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

4th at the halfway point, only Spurs realistically can take us with their games in hand, but all those are away games at places that are difficult to get a result Burnley, Brighton and Leicester. Manure have the two one home and one away, Brighton and Brentford respectively. It's all on for next half of the season.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:33 pm
4th at the halfway point, only Spurs realistically can take us with their games in hand, but all those are away games at places that are difficult to get a result Burnley, Brighton and Leicester. Manure have the two one home and one away, Brighton and Brentford respectively. It's all on for next half of the season.
From the position we are in now -,the lowest we should finish is 7th and that would be a pretty poor collapse.

The loss to United could end up costing us - even a draw would have been reasonable (take 2 extra points off them add 1 to out total and it looks so mush healthier)

Need to Not lose the head to heads v tiny totts and United for us realistically to get 4th, perfectly doable. :barscarf:

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Were on the up. Our younger players are developing week to week and the team is gelling.

Finishing above united and tottenham is not some long chance. Its a real possibility.

infact, quite a few pundits have picked up to finish 4th. and why wouldn't they. we have two of the best young players in the league

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:20 pm
Were on the up. Our younger players are developing week to week and the team is gelling.

Finishing above united and tottenham is not some long chance. Its a real possibility.

infact, quite a few pundits have picked up to finish 4th. and why wouldn't they. we have two of the best young players in the league
At least 2, probably 4. Two English, One Norwegian and One Brazilian. Only shame is they can’t all play in same XI. Or can they?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I still see Spurs and United finishing above us

6th at best and I will take that

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Our first choice 12 (current team with ESR thrown in too) is 3rd or 4th best in the division potentially. Our reserves are fit for 8th-10th position so depending on how fit the first team stay/how much Tets tinkers, we could finish top 4, we could finish 8th again. Common sense says probably 5th/6th as I don't think everyone will stay fit.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

TeeCee wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:46 pm
Our first choice 12 (current team with ESR thrown in too) is 3rd or 4th best in the division potentially. Our reserves are fit for 8th-10th position so depending on how fit the first team stay/how much Tets tinkers, we could finish top 4, we could finish 8th again. Common sense says probably 5th/6th as I don't think everyone will stay fit.
The biggest impact will be AFCON so that Partey and Elneny go and Sambi plays with Xhakash!t. I suspect Maitland Niles will be going elsewhere. I suppose Odegaard could drop deeper if push came to shove, but central midfield is the weakest link and there are 2 league cup games against victims* and a trip to scum stadium whilst AFCON takes place.

If Arsenal can come through January relatively unscathed (I.e not losing to scum) they should be in serious contention for 4th place.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:39 pm

Agreed

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

gooner265 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:22 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

Agreed
Which United? I think it is going to come down to Arsenal and Scum for 4th place. Don't think either United are top 4 at the moment, but West Ham are more of a threat.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I actually think a season back in the Europa League would be better for the development of this team than going straight into the CL anyway

It was a very important competition for blooding the likes of Saka and Martinelli and because the standard isn’t great up till about the Quarter Finals, it allows better squad rotation and creates opportunities

I don’t think this squad are ready for a CL campaign yet but give it a couple of seasons and some quality additions around the kids and they might be

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

gooner265 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:22 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

Agreed
I concur with this concurring

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:02 am
I actually think a season back in the Europa League would be better for the development of this team than going straight into the CL anyway

It was a very important competition for blooding the likes of Saka and Martinelli and because the standard isn’t great up till about the Quarter Finals, it allows better squad rotation and creates opportunities

I don’t think this squad are ready for a CL campaign yet but give it a couple of seasons and some quality additions around the kids and they might be
I see your logic Stevo, but the club needs to get back into the clge, it's a must financially as well as an enticement for new signings and holding in to our best players.
Also if we were to miss out and sperz were to take that 4th spot, it could put us back where we where for 4 or 5 previous seasons in terms of competing against them.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:14 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

I see your logic Stevo, but the club needs to get back into the clge, it's a must financially as well as an enticement for new signings and holding in to our best players.
Also if we were to miss out and sperz were to take that 4th spot, it could put us back where we where for 4 or 5 previous seasons in terms of competing against them.
Qualifying is great for the kudos etc, and also the experience for the team and also as you pointed out us getting it, means someone else doesn’t - be it tiny totts, Utd or West Ham.

Even if we didn’t get through the group, coming 3rd gives us a bypass into the Europa latter stages, where we would have a pretty good chance of winning the ting, I’d have thought.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

SteveO 35 wrote:

Most of the teams in Champions League are not that great and Arsenal (likely to be second seeds due to high UEFA coefficient) would be facing only one top team in the group which would be invaluable experience in its own right. All 4 English teams got out of their groups without too much danger this season.

Another Europa League campaign against the likes of Molde and Dundalk would be a waste of time.

And the money is far more in Champions League.