Finishing Position for This Season (merged thread)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

What Will Be Arsenal's Finishing Position This Season?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:48 pm

In the Top 4.
3%
In the Top 6.
28%
In the Top 8.
31%
In the Top Half of the Table
19%
In the Bottom Half of the Table
19%
Relegation Zone
No votes

Total votes: 36

SteveO 35

Re: Finishing Position for This Season

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:48 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:59 am
I won't knock anyone for feeling optimistic, although I can't see where it comes from personally.

If I look at the main failings of last year:

1. Our GK has become an arrogant cock who made endless errors last year - problem not solved
2. Our RB position is perilous - when we say that our best option there is Calum Chambers we've got issues. Problem not solved
3. The least creative, slowest and most gormless CDM pairing in the league of Elneny and Xhaka played too many games. Paper ankles wasn't any sort of improvement. Problem not solved
4. We didn't have any sort of number 10 option other than ESR. Problem not solved
5. We didn't score enough goals and couldn't work out where to fit Auba/Laca in the team, and favoured paperweight Eddie as backup. Problem not solved
6. We rotated the CB partnership every week. Remains to be seen........

A terrible state of affairs, little more than a week from the start of the season. Problem 3 above will be a massive ongoing issue throughout the season and makes it nigh on impossible to get back into the top six
In response

1) Agree problem not solved, no 2nd or 3rd reserve keeper in place
2) RB - Chambers and AMN would be adequate replacements for Bellerin. Neither made as many defensive mistakes, in fact assist wise both contributed more. There are not many decent RB out there available. Would you take Trippier?
3) Surely he cannot continue with Elneny and Xhaka...surely he can see they are not good enough. I'd take a 33 year Henderson ahead of either of those two, and even then he's about 10th on the list.
4) ESR contract situation sorted. Position sorted.
5) Both Laca and Eddie are on the way out. Balogun, Martinelli once he returns from the Olympics, and Pepe will be relied on for goals. If we can get Abraham for £25-30m he will score more goals than Laca and Eddie. Willock showed he can score goals last season from midfield but you've expressed your dislike for him in the past, so despite his record, you'll still say he's shit. Don't forget we will lose Auba and Pepe for a month at the ACN.
6) With White and Holding playing once a week, there won't be as much rotation this season. If they remain fit, they will be his main pairing.
In response to those points

Yes, I would take Trippier in a heartbeat. Experienced and better by far than what we have there. AMN just doesn't fit and Bellerin is the biggest c.unt known to man, so I would have Trippier and Chambers as the two there. That would be problem solved and if we can't offload Cedric he can be third choice

The number 10 role is only sorted if you assume ESR can play all 38 games in that role plus cups without loss of form, injuries etc. That simply won't happen and we have no other option there - problem most definitely not sorted

Willock has proved he can score goals from midfield for Newcastle, not us. I'm sick of Chavski rejects and if you want a list of players who will score more PL goals than Nketiah there wouldn't be any room left on this page. Patrick Bamford and Danny Ings would and I dont want them either. Nketiah has featured throughout pre season to a far greater extent than Balogun, so not sure what makes you convinced he is going

As for the CBs having spent 27m on Gabriel last summer I can't see it being as simple as White and Holding. He will continue chop changing the players there every week because he hasn't got a clue who his best partnership is. Every winning PL team has had settled CB partnerships but this clown just can't see it

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Gabon are crap, Auba will probably be back after the group stages as they've only ever progressed beyond those twice before. :lol:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:09 pm
Nos89 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
I won't knock anyone for feeling optimistic, although I can't see where it comes from personally.

1. Our GK has become an arrogant cock who made endless errors last year - problem not solved
2. Our RB position is perilous - when we say that our best option there is Calum Chambers we've got issues. Problem not solved
3. The least creative, slowest and most gormless CDM pairing in the league of Elneny and Xhaka played too many games. Paper ankles wasn't any sort of improvement. Problem not solved
4. We didn't have any sort of number 10 option other than ESR. Problem not solved
5. We didn't score enough goals and couldn't work out where to fit Auba/Laca in the team, and favoured paperweight Eddie as backup. Problem not solved

A terrible state of affairs, little more than a week from the start of the season. Problem 3 above will be a massive ongoing issue throughout the season and makes it nigh on impossible to get back into the top six
In response

2) RB - Chambers and AMN would be adequate replacements for Bellerin. Neither made as many defensive mistakes, in fact assist wise both contributed more. There are not many decent RB out there available. Would you take Trippier?
3) Surely he cannot continue with Elneny and Xhaka...surely he can see they are not good enough. I'd take a 33 year Henderson ahead of either of those two, and even then he's about 10th on the list.
5) Both Laca and Eddie are on the way out. Balogun, Martinelli once he returns from the Olympics, and Pepe will be relied on for goals. If we can get Abraham for £25-30m he will score more goals than Laca and Eddie. Willock showed he can score goals last season from midfield but you've expressed your dislike for him in the past, so despite his record, you'll still say he's shit. Don't forget we will lose Auba and Pepe for a month at the ACN.
6) With White and Holding playing once a week, there won't be as much rotation this season. If they remain fit, they will be his main pairing.
In response to those points

Yes, I would take Trippier in a heartbeat. Experienced and better by far than what we have there. AMN just doesn't fit and Bellerin is the biggest c.unt known to man, so I would have Trippier and Chambers as the two there. That would be problem solved and if we can't offload Cedric he can be third choice

The number 10 role is only sorted if you assume ESR can play all 38 games in that role plus cups without loss of form, injuries etc. That simply won't happen and we have no other option there - problem most definitely not sorted

Willock has proved he can score goals from midfield for Newcastle, not us. I'm sick of Chavski rejects and if you want a list of players who will score more PL goals than Nketiah there wouldn't be any room left on this page. Patrick Bamford and Danny Ings would and I dont want them either. Nketiah has featured throughout pre season to a far greater extent than Balogun, so not sure what makes you convinced he is going

As for the CBs having spent 27m on Gabriel last summer I can't see it being as simple as White and Holding. He will continue chop changing the players there every week because he hasn't got a clue who his best partnership is. Every winning PL team has had settled CB partnerships but this clown just can't see it
As long as he doesn't get Divock Origi or Sander Berge we should be okay. If Arteta is smart enough he'd have learnt from Bruce how to use Willock. But I think £25m offer from Newcastle or another will see him leave. So, probably out of the equation.
Another possible surprise transfer out would be AMN going to Spurs. The manager wanted him at wolves, may still want him...pure speculation

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Top half for me. With Xhaka getting regular games along with most of the dross we still haven’t got rid of, it’s groundhog day, a couple of reasonable signings won’t change that.
Maybe if we go on a splurge in the next couple of weeks and sign a quality right back, CAM and keeper we may make top 6.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Top 6.

I really do think no European football and only 1 game a week will help us but top 4 seems unlikely.

Progress would be finishing in the Europa league place(s) but being in the mix for top 4… and hopefully a domestic cup win (or final).

Finishing top 4 is a stretch target. Unlikely but possible.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

In response

Please stop with the tammy abraham shite - he is no better than average, and if the chavs had a quality striker last season, they could have challenged despite the weaknesses at the other end of the pitch

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:24 am
Nos89 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

In response

Please stop with the tammy abraham shite - he is no better than average, and if the chavs had a quality striker last season, they could have challenged despite the weaknesses at the other end of the pitch
Well, he's considerably better than the "shite" we have currently. His goals scored average is better than any of our forward line. Plus, he always scores against us, even in friendlies. Let me guess your response...we have a shite defence. He's in our price bracket and will improve the squad.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:29 am
augie wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:24 am
Nos89 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

In response

Well, he's considerably better than the "shite" we have currently. His goals scored average is better than any of our forward line. Plus, he always scores against us, even in friendlies. Let me guess your response...we have a shite defence. He's in our price bracket and will improve the squad.

He is average and no better than that - to my mind danny ings at £25m is a far better deal than signing abraham for anything north of £30m, and ings shouldnt be viewed as good enough for a club like ours either

shu

Post by shu »

They are both better than what we have.

Then again some people on here don't rate Emi Martinez and the other usual suspects who were never good enough for Arsenal , Johnny Evans Stones , Harry Maquire all four or which are better than what we currently have.

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

FA expectations this season voted top 8 but will say 7th :barscarf: .

5th, 6th outside chance but no chance top 4.

Two Manc clubs, Liverpool, Chelsea in whatever order and not that I care so far have we fallen.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Midtable - exactly where i predicted (about 5 years ago) we'd end up under KSE.

Just sell up you useless pricks!!!.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

I will go for 9th. Unfortunately, it will take until the end of the year before Arteta is pushed and people will be wishing that we had signed Nuno as the boss.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The argument used on here by the more confident posters is that a season out of Europe will do us good, but I don't see that at all. This is a bloated squad that has some decent younger players trying to establish themselves as regulars and the lack of EL games will virtually kill off their hopes of first team football. Balogun, Azeez, and Martinelli will likely get 1 or 2 EFL Cup games and then might as well pack their bags and go off on loan

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:10 pm
The argument used on here by the more confident posters is that a season out of Europe will do us good, but I don't see that at all. This is a bloated squad that has some decent younger players trying to establish themselves as regulars and the lack of EL games will virtually kill off their hopes of first team football. Balogun, Azeez, and Martinelli will likely get 1 or 2 EFL Cup games and then might as well pack their bags and go off on loan

Dont you mean insane or mentally challenged posters ? :wink:

With exception of white we have the same team as last season and we were shit then :roll: We have the same gormless manager trying to implement his same brainless ideas. We have the same glaring weaknesses as last season. What could possibly go wrong ? :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

augie wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:35 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:10 pm

Dont you mean insane or mentally challenged posters ? :wink:

With exception of white we have the same team as last season and we were shit then :roll: We have the same gormless manager trying to implement his same brainless ideas. We have the same glaring weaknesses as last season. What could possibly go wrong ? :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:
47 points from our last 24 PL games is not shit and so the same team should do fine. Add in a top class defender in White and we will be very hard to beat. I remain confident of a 5th place finish.