Finishing Position for This Season (merged thread)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

What Will Be Arsenal's Finishing Position This Season?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:48 pm

In the Top 4.
3%
In the Top 6.
28%
In the Top 8.
31%
In the Top Half of the Table
19%
In the Bottom Half of the Table
19%
Relegation Zone
No votes

Total votes: 36

Nos89

Re: Finishing Position for This Season (merged thread)

Post by Nos89 »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:04 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:36 pm
Having been off the pace for a long time it'll be interesting to see how it goes for us. The complete lack of goals is concern. It's not we aren't creating them, it is simply not finishing them. We should've beaten watford 4-0 but for Auba's insane performance. We know lacazette will leave, aubameyang will probably go too. Will Martinelli, Nketieh and Balogun deliver goals? Of those three the only one that gives me confidence that they will score is Eddie. I've not seen anything from Martinelli that convinces me that he will score 20+ goals a season. He hasn't scored in the cup games when he has been given the opportunity, Eddie has. Which baffles me as to why Eddie gets so much stick from fans as not being good enough, although he does score regularly for a 4th choice striker.
Nketiah won't score 20 goals a season if he was playing five a side against the guys on the sunshine club coach,, even when he scored recently he did his best to miss from a foot out, how it went in I will never know as it looked like it was missing till it hit a divet and somehow dog legged left and in :lol:
Eddie will be like lacazette a 10-15 goal a season striker. All the fever over Martinelli is outdated. Before his injury absolutely looked like a potential world class striker, however, since returning from injury he just hasn't delivered or shown anything near the quality he did before hand. People will argue that he hasn't been given enough minutes in the league but in 19 appearances n all competitions over 2 seasons he hasn't scored a single goal, and he has had opportunities to score, which for me is ringing alarm bells. Of the two, I'd put Eddie ahead of Martinelli. At this moment in time neither look good enough to play ahead of Auba, Laca and Pepe.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:46 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Having been off the pace for a long time it'll be interesting to see how it goes for us. The complete lack of goals is concern. It's not we aren't creating them, it is simply not finishing them. We should've beaten watford 4-0 but for Auba's insane performance. We know lacazette will leave, aubameyang will probably go too. Will Martinelli, Nketieh and Balogun deliver goals? Of those three the only one that gives me confidence that they will score is Eddie. I've not seen anything from Martinelli that convinces me that he will score 20+ goals a season. He hasn't scored in the cup games when he has been given the opportunity, Eddie has. Which baffles me as to why Eddie gets so much stick from fans as not being good enough, although he does score regularly for a 4th choice striker.
Nketiah won't score 20 goals a season if he was playing five a side against the guys on the sunshine club coach,, even when he scored recently he did his best to miss from a foot out, how it went in I will never know as it looked like it was missing till it hit a divet and somehow dog legged left and in :lol:
Eddie will be like lacazette a 10-15 goal a season striker. All the fever over Martinelli is outdated. Before his injury absolutely looked like a potential world class striker, however, since returning from injury he just hasn't delivered or shown anything near the quality he did before hand. People will argue that he hasn't been given enough minutes in the league but in 19 appearances n all competitions over 2 seasons he hasn't scored a single goal, and he has had opportunities to score, which for me is ringing alarm bells. Of the two, I'd put Eddie ahead of Martinelli. At this moment in time neither look good enough to play ahead of Auba, Laca and Pepe.
I never mentioned Martinelli, in fact if you look at my posts RE Martinelli I said he was overrated purely because we were so shit most posters rated him more in hope and desperation than talent.

Saying that his appearances have been so short that he barely has time to get on the ball, a player coming on for ten minutes might touch the ball three times, he rarely gets that long.

If we compare talent for talent then Martinelli looks like Messi compared to Nketiah and the latter will never ever score 15 goals a season, ever.

Pepe is shit, that's it, don't have to go through stats, he's 72 million pounds worth of awfulness.

We won't get 30 million for him, Nketiah I reckon 20 million at most but 20 million doesn't get you a 15 goal a season player in the pl.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:55 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
I never mentioned Martinelli, in fact if you look at my posts RE Martinelli I said he was overrated purely because we were so shit most posters rated him more in hope and desperation than talent.

Saying that his appearances have been so short that he barely has time to get on the ball, a player coming on for ten minutes might touch the ball three times, he rarely gets that long.

If we compare talent for talent then Martinelli looks like Messi compared to Nketiah and the latter will never ever score 15 goals a season, ever.

Pepe is shit, that's it, don't have to go through stats, he's 72 million pounds worth of awfulness.

We won't get 30 million for him, Nketiah I reckon 20 million at most but 20 million doesn't get you a 15 goal a season player in the pl.

Damn Straight Mate! :high5:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

If we are honest none of us have seen any where near enough of Martinelli to say how good a striker he could/will be, he had a very good patch before his injury but since then hasnt looked anywhere near as good even when given game time. We need a striker now not a potential hot property and none of the possibilities meet that criteria :rubchin:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

As we approach the halfway stage of the season, we will be 4th in the league whatever happens at the end of matchday 19. Judging by the poll not many would've expected us to be in this position.
There will be all the usual excuses of the other teams being really shit, etc... But we deserve to be in 4th and as things stand I don't see why we won't finish in the top 4. Yes, spurs and manure have games in hand but I'd rather have the points on the board. This team shouldn't run out of steam and should be stronger in the second half of the season.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:57 pm
As we approach the halfway stage of the season, we will be 4th in the league whatever happens at the end of matchday 19. Judging by the poll not many would've expected us to be in this position.
There will be all the usual excuses of the other teams being really shit, etc... But we deserve to be in 4th and as things stand I don't see why we won't finish in the top 4. Yes, spurs and manure have games in hand but I'd rather have the points on the board. This team shouldn't run out of steam and should be stronger in the second half of the season.
You were a bit knee-jerk about Martinelli mate. I was screaming for him to get a run in the side as soon as we got knocked out of the Europa League last season. He only needed one bit of magic to work and he was off again, and that happened vs the Geordies.

The encouraging thing is despite a nasty injury he hasn't lost his blistering pace.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Just as Saka, Ramsdale & ESR look like being an integral part of a Bright Future of Arsenal for (hopefully) quite a few years to come, I would also include Martinelli in that...Sometimes you can just tell when someone is a "Baller" and he most definitely is.

I also have High hopes for Tomiyasu, Tavares and Lakonga.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:26 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:57 pm
You were a bit knee-jerk about Martinelli mate. I was screaming for him to get a run in the side as soon as we got knocked out of the Europa League last season. He only needed one bit of magic to work and he was off again, and that happened vs the Geordies.

The encouraging thing is despite a nasty injury he hasn't lost his blistering pace.
Not knee jerker just at the time he wasn't performing anywhere near his capability. Pleased he's got himself back to his pre-injury level. Don't underestimate the role Tierney behind him has played in letting Martinelli do his thing.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

:shock:

I

I

I... <speechless>.

:goingtobed:

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:46 pm
Just as Saka, Ramsdale & ESR look like being an integral part of a Bright Future of Arsenal for (hopefully) quite a few years to come, I would also include Martinelli in that...Sometimes you can just tell when someone is a "Baller" and he most definitely is.

I also have High hopes for Tomiyasu, Tavares and Lakonga.
I'm sure I've read this somewhere else :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin: :roll:

:D

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:46 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

:shock:

I

I

I... <speechless>.

:goingtobed:
Nketiah has scored more goals in all competitions this season, with less appearance's than Martinelli. Who was LB tonight? Tavares. How effective was Martinelli when he came on. Not very. IMO he should've stayed on the bench. They're both developing their games, both very different players.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Martinelli is a natural infront of goal. The way he receives the ball when collecting a through ball and the composure he shows once he has possession is indicative of a high quality player. He is also only 20 year old. When your this young, starting your career, the development can be rapid.

He absolutely can finish 4th

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

arrgee wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:14 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:40 pm
Anyone changed their view based on the recent run of form and climb up the table?
I thought 5th at the outset and 5th looks likely, so no. Only thing is I never expected Claret Scum to be in top 4 with Man U and Scum faltering. Trips to Liverpool and Manchester in next few weeks will be telling. Come away from those three games unbeaten and I think it is just a matter of seeing if Claret Scum fade and die…
I am now thinking 4th is possible despite the zero return from the North West. Scum and Manchester United have games in hand, but I don’t expect either to win them all which should leave them just behind. Not being in Europe will help Arsenal and scum a little. The home game against Manchester United in Paril,could be the 4th place trophy decider.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

It's a lottery tbh. We still could finish anywhere from 4th to 8th. Our form is so inconsistent.

Also alot of it will depend on Martinez-Lite persisting with useless liability fucktards like Clive.

As for Nketiah, he is still young but I don't think he will be a top player. But no harm in giving him another few years as a squad member, he's done well in this Cup.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Nketiah certainly knows where the goal is and yes he is raw but I see a lot of Wright in his play and remember he didn't really get going until he signed for Palace at 22 which is where Nketiah is now.
It has become easy to write him off but remember whilst we have seen a lot of his development at the comparable time Wrighty was playing in the South London Sunday leagues which is where he possibly got the aggression from.
We have put a lot of time and effort into Nketiah to just let him go now and go on to be half as good as Wright would be a grave mistake.