Finishing Position for This Season (merged thread)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

What Will Be Arsenal's Finishing Position This Season?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:48 pm

In the Top 4.
3%
In the Top 6.
28%
In the Top 8.
31%
In the Top Half of the Table
19%
In the Bottom Half of the Table
19%
Relegation Zone
No votes

Total votes: 36

Midz

Re: Finishing Position for This Season (merged thread)

Post by Midz »

As we have virtually the same shitty team/squad as last year I predict we'll achieve pretty much the same as last year and that's nothing.

SteveO 35

Re: Finishing Position for This Season

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:58 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:10 pm
The argument used on here by the more confident posters is that a season out of Europe will do us good, but I don't see that at all. This is a bloated squad that has some decent younger players trying to establish themselves as regulars and the lack of EL games will virtually kill off their hopes of first team football. Balogun, Azeez, and Martinelli will likely get 1 or 2 EFL Cup games and then might as well pack their bags and go off on loan
Ultimately, it's down to the manager who decides who to put his faith in. But some reason he likes to put faith in players that continually let the club down. There's 3 midfielder's I'd sell before Willock but no one else wants them. Pay up their contracts.
I can see a player like Lacazette wanting to stay and fight for the club to get back in the CL. But not much else from the other usual list of suspects.
Yep I agree. I don't think Willock is god's gift to midfielders but he sure as hell isn't as big a problem as some of the other clowns we have at the club. Lacazette showed more right than Auba throughout last season and also from what I've seen in pre season, and yet it's his name constantly being linked with a move away from the club.

I know Martinelli will need a rest from Olympics etc for a couple of weeks, and Saka doesn't look back on it just yet either, but I'd be seriously tempted to drop Auba for the start of the season and try and get a sale agreed in the next fortnight or so. Before anyone says he's our one world class player, I'd say that up until the start of last season that was true. Perhaps Ozil once was too and Alexis, but if you don't want to be here its only a matter of time before you're a disruptive influence. On the evidence of pre season hunger, fitness and form I'd pair up Tierney and Tavares down the left side. Auba is just going through the motions - he doesn't even look like coming alive in the box anymore.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

I voted for 8th place, but after watching the usual shite pre season against the Nazis & Toilet Lids I did the BBC sports football table forecast & now have us in 15th. Worst crap since 1975 coming up! :barscarf:

WIGGY OUT! CAPTAIN BLACK OUT! :barscarf:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:09 pm
Nos89 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
The argument used on here by the more confident posters is that a season out of Europe will do us good, but I don't see that at all. This is a bloated squad that has some decent younger players trying to establish themselves as regulars and the lack of EL games will virtually kill off their hopes of first team football. Balogun, Azeez, and Martinelli will likely get 1 or 2 EFL Cup games and then might as well pack their bags and go off on loan
Ultimately, it's down to the manager who decides who to put his faith in. But some reason he likes to put faith in players that continually let the club down. There's 3 midfielder's I'd sell before Willock but no one else wants them. Pay up their contracts.
I can see a player like Lacazette wanting to stay and fight for the club to get back in the CL. But not much else from the other usual list of suspects.
Yep I agree. I don't think Willock is god's gift to midfielders but he sure as hell isn't as big a problem as some of the other clowns we have at the club. Lacazette showed more right than Auba throughout last season and also from what I've seen in pre season, and yet it's his name constantly being linked with a move away from the club.

I know Martinelli will need a rest from Olympics etc for a couple of weeks, and Saka doesn't look back on it just yet either, but I'd be seriously tempted to drop Auba for the start of the season and try and get a sale agreed in the next fortnight or so. Before anyone says he's our one world class player, I'd say that up until the start of last season that was true. Perhaps Ozil once was too and Alexis, but if you don't want to be here its only a matter of time before you're a disruptive influence. On the evidence of pre season hunger, fitness and form I'd pair up Tierney and Tavares down the left side. Auba is just going through the motions - he doesn't even look like coming alive in the box anymore.
Totally agree with you on Auba mate. His game has gone, for whatever the reason. Laca is the main striker now. Hopefully he'll get the recognition his workmate and holdup play deserves. He isn’t a 20+ a season man but he can bring in the others around him.

I really like what I've seen of Tavares too. Was only saying to my Daughter this morning that he can certainly play in front of KT down the left. Saying that I'd still prefer our two wide players to be Saka and Pepe for the start of the season.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:30 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Totally agree with you on Auba mate. His game has gone, for whatever the reason. Laca is the main striker now. Hopefully he'll get the recognition his workmate and holdup play deserves. He isn’t a 20+ a season man but he can bring in the others around him.

I really like what I've seen of Tavares too. Was only saying to my Daughter this morning that he can certainly play in front of KT down the left. Saying that I'd still prefer our two wide players to be Saka and Pepe for the start of the season.
Saka and Pepe will be the regular selections I'm sure, but on the evidence of Saka's 25 minutes or so at the weekend I think we need to give the boy a benefit of some proper rest and slowly bringing him back to the levels he was at last season. For the first few games I'd go with Tavares, and have Saka as a bench option and give him the league cup game at the end of the month. Similarly I'd start Martinelli in that game and spend the next 3-4 weeks nursing him back. Actually one area of the field where we have decent options - if Auba doesn't fancy it, he can go and sulk elsewhere and we'll rotate Saka, Martinelli, Pepe and Tavares in the wide positions.

Hopefully Captain Black will have no choice but to give Balogun some game time too supporting Lacazette now that Eddie is injured. Might be the same blessing we had when he was forced into selecting ESR last year

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

I don't know how much gametime Martinelli got at the Olympics. Did he even play? :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:52 pm
I don't know how much gametime Martinelli got at the Olympics. Did he even play? :lol:
Wasn't following it to be honest mate - just presumed even if he wasn't then they'd still want to rest him as he probably didn't have any real time off. If he's rested enough then its a good option to have straight away!

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:00 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Wasn't following it to be honest mate - just presumed even if he wasn't then they'd still want to rest him as he probably didn't have any real time off. If he's rested enough then its a good option to have straight away!
Just checked it out. He played a grand total of 75 minutes through the entire competition. :roll:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:57 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:00 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Just checked it out. He played a grand total of 75 minutes through the entire competition. :roll:
Perfect - then he doesn't need resting and is another Auba replacement option

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

I'd agree with that, unfortunately, not many come back from malaria and maintain the level they had before. I remember Kolo was awful, lost pace energy, as did Drogba. Martinelli needs to play through the middle. He was best in that position.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Clummo99 wrote:
Yes mate he did - but mainly a sub / bench warmer...

Arteta has trained him well in the latter.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:55 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

I'd agree with that, unfortunately, not many come back from malaria and maintain the level they had before. I remember Kolo was awful, lost pace energy, as did Drogba. Martinelli needs to play through the middle. He was best in that position.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WHAT!!!???? Martinelli has got Malaria as well!?

Oh! Fer Fucks Sake!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

It's going to be a Barrymore pool party of a season.

10th would be optimistic. I still say 11/12th.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:59 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:51 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:35 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

Dont you mean insane or mentally challenged posters ? :wink:

With exception of white we have the same team as last season and we were shit then :roll: We have the same gormless manager trying to implement his same brainless ideas. We have the same glaring weaknesses as last season. What could possibly go wrong ? :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:
47 points from our last 24 PL games is not shit and so the same team should do fine. Add in a top class defender in White and we will be very hard to beat. I remain confident of a 5th place finish.
If only a Premier League season consisted of 24 games eh?

I love the way you dismiss the other 14 as if they don't count.......you know, the ones that saw us drop to 15th and break all sorts of "worst" records in the club's history. Bit like Wenger's calendar year champions of 2013 - just a shame the season ran from August to May, rather than January to December.
ok well over the course of the whole Premier League season we had the 3rd best defensive record in the league.
we have added a top class defender for this season - there is no logic to suggest that we will do worse this year.

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:26 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:59 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:51 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:35 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

Dont you mean insane or mentally challenged posters ? :wink:

With exception of white we have the same team as last season and we were shit then :roll: We have the same gormless manager trying to implement his same brainless ideas. We have the same glaring weaknesses as last season. What could possibly go wrong ? :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:
47 points from our last 24 PL games is not shit and so the same team should do fine. Add in a top class defender in White and we will be very hard to beat. I remain confident of a 5th place finish.
If only a Premier League season consisted of 24 games eh?

I love the way you dismiss the other 14 as if they don't count.......you know, the ones that saw us drop to 15th and break all sorts of "worst" records in the club's history. Bit like Wenger's calendar year champions of 2013 - just a shame the season ran from August to May, rather than January to December.
ok well over the course of the whole Premier League season we had the 3rd best defensive record in the league.
we have added a top class defender for this season - there is no logic to suggest that we will do worse this year.

You are being so selective it your response it is unreal -

1. We might well have bought a good centre back (time will tell I suppose), but centre back wasnt our problem last season - right full was our weakness and el fucko still hasnt addressed that.

2. Number 8 and back up keeper was our problem - still not addressed 2 days before season starts.

3. We might have had a good second half of the season but last season was a freak in that several of the top clubs underperformed - look at the summer so far and you will see all bar the victims addressing their weak areas, and they have players returning from injuries that will automatically strengthen them. So our so called rivals will be getting stronger whilst we stay in the one place and you expect us to have a good season ??