Finishing Position for This Season (merged thread)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

What Will Be Arsenal's Finishing Position This Season?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:48 pm

In the Top 4.
3%
In the Top 6.
28%
In the Top 8.
31%
In the Top Half of the Table
19%
In the Bottom Half of the Table
19%
Relegation Zone
No votes

Total votes: 36

OneBardGooner

Re: Finishing Position for This Season (merged thread)

Post by OneBardGooner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 10:00 pm
All this claptrap about finishing 5th being part of the master plan. Total bull shit is what that was. We choked. End of.

Finishing 5th is biting us harder in the arse than what goes on in Hampstead Heath on a Saturday night.

Nunez - United
Osimhen - United
Tielemans - Spurs
Any one else off to the top 4 plus United.

This is a sliding doors moment that will go down in our history as one of the biggest missed opportunities in a generation.

I predict a struggle to 6th next season. Followed by Saka, Martinelli and ESR out of the door to Liverpool and City.
Well, You would be the one person on here who would have First Hand experience of that! :D :lol: :wink:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

[ :D quote=OneBardGooner post_id=1199615 time=1654090116 user_id=3645]
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 10:00 pm
All this claptrap about finishing 5th being part of the master plan. Total bull shit is what that was. We choked. End of.

Finishing 5th is biting us harder in the arse than what goes on in Hampstead Heath on a Saturday night.

Nunez - United
Osimhen - United
Tielemans - Spurs
Any one else off to the top 4 plus United.

This is a sliding doors moment that will go down in our history as one of the biggest missed opportunities in a generation.

I predict a struggle to 6th next season. Followed by Saka, Martinelli and ESR out of the door to Liverpool and City.
Well, You would be the one person on here who would have First Hand experience of that! :D :lol: :wink:
[/quote]

:box: :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I see the quoting on here is as cunty as ever.... :lol: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Awww! C'Mon DB that's no way to talk about BP7 - Cunty ? Well yes, but he can't help it. It must be very difficult to type with 6 Fingers and a Non-Opposing thumb. :lol: :wink:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:15 pm
Awww! C'Mon DB that's no way to talk about BP7 - Cunty ? Well yes, but he can't help it. It must be very difficult to type with 6 Fingers and a Non-Opposing thumb. :lol: :wink:
What’s this I hear? Treason… I’m sure it was your calling sign I saw written on that phone box. “FunHardSpooner”. Clever play on words to name yourself differently here.

:lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Aaah! Come on mate you can do better that that!

ps: And don't forget I've still got the photo's and Rodders keeps asking to buy them! :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:57 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:15 pm
What’s this I hear? Treason… I’m sure it was your calling sign I saw written on that phone box. “FunHardSpooner”. Clever play on words to name yourself differently here.

:lol: :lol:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 8:35 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 7:42 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 7:21 am
Nos89 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 11:42 pm
More people on this forum predicted we would finish below 6th position this season. So why the disappointment, animosity towards the manager for finishing in 5t He delivered a finish way above most of your expectations, surely that means you should be happy with a 5th place?
If you all believed we'd finish top 4 then absolutely he under delivered and disappointment ensue. The rampant negativity on here is totally unreasonable and unjustified by your own expectations. Or are you all just disappointed Arteta delivered above your expectations for the season?
That post and particularly your last comment is beneath you tbh.

The predictions are not our hopes for the season. It's what most felt we would achieve. A general "second tier" finish below the top four. Which is what we got. And let's be honest with our inconsistencies we could have finished anywhere from 5th to 8th which is within most people's range of predictions. Never forget the impact on our position of things like manure's shit season etc.

The disappointment and anger is because the manager and players absolutely bottled a good position in the run in and gave it to our rivals. How can you not understand that ffs?

I have no idea why you think everyone should be positive with the state of the club and team. I'm not going to re-list all of the issues as a quick glance through this or any match thread will tell you them. They are legitimate concerns.
I certainly don't expect everyone to be happy and "over the moon" at our finishing position. Obviously, I get the frustration of the team bottling it from the great position we were in. Just a bit surprised at how low the vitriol towards the team has been. If you had a low expectation to begin with, don't be fucked off when they live up to that low expectation. Place your expectations higher and maybe the team will deliver it. Personally, I'm disappointed with this season, but then I expected more given no European football.
Also, think the general standard of the league has dropped considerably over last 10 years.
Agree 100% with your last comment. I've been saying for years the myth of the PL is a SlySports facade. The standard has definitely dropped.

The best most enjoyable football I've watched was from about 1990 to about 2010. The English game still had enough left of that old school 60s/70s/80s English football blood and guts pace and power I love, but it was starting to cross over nicely with better technical football too and it was full of individual talents that took players on and were adventurous on the ball.

But from about 2010 (maybe even a bit earlier) it has steadily degenerated into an overthought system and formation obsessed game without much individual flair and full of diving and cheating.
I mentioned at work this week that this Liverpool team is overrated, and the team started to believe it, the reaction was explosive. It's not just Arsenal supporters I wind up 😁

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:02 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 8:35 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 7:42 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 7:21 am
Nos89 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 11:42 pm
More people on this forum predicted we would finish below 6th position this season. So why the disappointment, animosity towards the manager for finishing in 5t He delivered a finish way above most of your expectations, surely that means you should be happy with a 5th place?
If you all believed we'd finish top 4 then absolutely he under delivered and disappointment ensue. The rampant negativity on here is totally unreasonable and unjustified by your own expectations. Or are you all just disappointed Arteta delivered above your expectations for the season?
That post and particularly your last comment is beneath you tbh.

The predictions are not our hopes for the season. It's what most felt we would achieve. A general "second tier" finish below the top four. Which is what we got. And let's be honest with our inconsistencies we could have finished anywhere from 5th to 8th which is within most people's range of predictions. Never forget the impact on our position of things like manure's shit season etc.

The disappointment and anger is because the manager and players absolutely bottled a good position in the run in and gave it to our rivals. How can you not understand that ffs?

I have no idea why you think everyone should be positive with the state of the club and team. I'm not going to re-list all of the issues as a quick glance through this or any match thread will tell you them. They are legitimate concerns.
I certainly don't expect everyone to be happy and "over the moon" at our finishing position. Obviously, I get the frustration of the team bottling it from the great position we were in. Just a bit surprised at how low the vitriol towards the team has been. If you had a low expectation to begin with, don't be fucked off when they live up to that low expectation. Place your expectations higher and maybe the team will deliver it. Personally, I'm disappointed with this season, but then I expected more given no European football.
Also, think the general standard of the league has dropped considerably over last 10 years.
Agree 100% with your last comment. I've been saying for years the myth of the PL is a SlySports facade. The standard has definitely dropped.

The best most enjoyable football I've watched was from about 1990 to about 2010. The English game still had enough left of that old school 60s/70s/80s English football blood and guts pace and power I love, but it was starting to cross over nicely with better technical football too and it was full of individual talents that took players on and were adventurous on the ball.

But from about 2010 (maybe even a bit earlier) it has steadily degenerated into an overthought system and formation obsessed game without much individual flair and full of diving and cheating.
I mentioned at work this week that this Liverpool team is overrated, and the team started to believe it, the reaction was explosive. It's not just Arsenal supporters I wind up 😁
:lol: :lol:

Top work. 8)

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

So 70% went for 7th or lower, 40% said 9th or lower… 19% of which thought bottom half. There’s some mad bastards on here :lol: my prediction of top 6 with 4th as a stretch target was pretty much spot on :barscarf:

I’ve said before there seems to be a race to the bottom on this forum in terms of negativity (which probably explains the 40% who thought 9th or lower… many of whom probably didn’t really believe their own predictions) so it’ll be interesting to see predictions for next season now that Newcastle are in the mix, scum have CL money, Chavs have a shiny new owner, Xhaka and Wenger get statues and United have a new reason to spend the earth on new players :(

As it stands I’d predict a very difficult time repeating this seasons “success” of 5th but let’s see how recruitment goes and vote in August! - our best chance of CL will definitely be Europa League. That’s why I was disappointed United scraped in ahead of West Ham :x

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

g88ner wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:33 am
So 70% went for 7th or lower, 40% said 9th or lower… 19% of which thought bottom half. There’s some mad bastards on here :lol: my prediction of top 6 with 4th as a stretch target was pretty much spot on :barscarf:

I’ve said before there seems to be a race to the bottom on this forum in terms of negativity (which probably explains the 40% who thought 9th or lower… many of whom probably didn’t really believe their own predictions) so it’ll be interesting to see predictions for next season now that Newcastle are in the mix, scum have CL money, Chavs have a shiny new owner, Xhaka and Wenger get statues and United have a new reason to spend the earth on new players :(

As it stands I’d predict a very difficult time repeating this seasons “success” of 5th but let’s see how recruitment goes and vote in August! - our best chance of CL will definitely be Europa League. That’s why I was disappointed United scraped in ahead of West Ham :x
The team surpassed my lowly expectations for sure but more as a result of the fact that I didn't dream we would be out of the FA Cup immediately and virtually injury free for chunks of the season. In that period where we had virtually no injuries and playing once a week, we caught up ground on our rivals. As soon as the COVID delayed games and other rearranged games kicked in late on and saw us go to 2 games per week and carrying 4 or 5 injuries, we quickly went back to being a mid table team. 6 defeats from the last 11 was the type of form befitting of a midtable team. 4 or 5 injuries throughout this season, only 2 or 3 additions in the window plus a full season of Europa League football, leave me in no doubt we will be finishing lower than 5th. Not a race to the bottom in negativity, more an objective look at how a wafer thin squad is ill equipped to deal with 50+ games based on the hard evidence of what we witnessed these past couple of months

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Locking this one off as we now have a thread for the 2022/2023 season predictions.