RIP Ray Kennedy

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Henry Norris 1913

RIP Ray Kennedy

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

One of our greats from the '71 double winning team has passed today. A true gent, someone who unfortunately doesn't get enough of a mention when we talk about that team, unbelievably our top scorer that season at just 19 years old!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59480532

RIP

Red Snapper

Re: RIP Ray Kennedy

Post by Red Snapper »

Those of us who were at the shithole on that Monday night in 1971 have Ray Kennedy etched into the memory. An underrated forward who combined superbly with John Radford.
Thanks for the memories Ray, RIP

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:54 pm
One of our greats from the '71 double winning team has passed today. A true gent, someone who unfortunately doesn't get enough of a mention when we talk about that team, unbelievably our top scorer that season at just 19 years old!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59480532

RIP
Absolutely, an integral member of the 71 double team at such a young age - then transferred to Liverpool, who changed his position and he won titles and cups galore.

RIP Ray and thank you for your service to our great club.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

I'm too young to remember him playing but I've read up about all our past legends, my Dad thought he was great, I have his and eight over signatures on a shirt from the 71 side after an auction at an Arsenal focused auction.

RIP Fella

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Duplicate from the R.I.P thread

I was on the shelf that night and will never forget the madness of those final minutes.
Thanks Ray , RIP .

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Another vital goal by Ray Kennedy European Fairs Cup Final was in the 1st leg away :barscarf: . He didn't play in the Highbury 2nd leg although Wiki doesn't say who the substitute actually was? I wonder if he ever got a medal for that final.

Why the fúck did we sell him for? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I never could work that one out & some of Bertie Mee's other decisions in the years after the Double? :banghead:

Ray Kennedy Arsenal legend RIP. :barscarf:

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Loved watching him play along side big John Radford. Great memories. R.I.P. Ray. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Red Snapper wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:13 pm
Those of us who were at the shithole on that Monday night in 1971 have Ray Kennedy etched into the memory. An underrated forward who combined superbly with John Radford.
Thanks for the memories Ray, RIP
Indeed, was stuck outside with the other estimated 100,000 plus fans as the old bill closed all the roads for miles around, all the way to the north circular

Kennedy and Radford were a great partnership, Kennedy was very underrated and like a few of the double side were let go to early..as he proved with his sucess at Liverpool and England

RIP Ray an Arsenal great

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Usually we'd merge this into the RIP thread, but if ever a player deserved his own memorial thread it's Ray Kennedy.

I know he went onto greater success with the victims* but what he achieved with us as a kid was phenomenal. A true Legend.

Rest in Peace.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Ray C wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:31 am
Loved watching him play along side big John Radford. Great memories. R.I.P. Ray. :barscarf: :barscarf:
Absolutely, I used to love football on Sundays when ITV showed games (Black & White TV :oops: with Brian Moore doing the commentary) Ray Kennedy and (Big) John Radford destroying defences...The Muddy Pitches... <sigh> :?

RIP Ray. :cry: