The Positive Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gazzatt2

Re: The Positive Thread

Post by gazzatt2 »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:09 am
Still in with a shout of winning the Papa John's pizza colouring competition.
nothing would 'top' winning that

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

gazzatt2 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:52 am
It would be history in the baking.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:30 pm
gazzatt2 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:52 am
It would be history in the baking.
:lol:

I hear we are Odds On Evens - Sorry I mean Ovens :-P :oops:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Yeah! Win this trophy and we could claim a Slice of History. :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I'm really, REALLY trying to be "Positive" but I just can't muster any enthusiasm or hope as we keep careering from one or two Excellent performances (Man City & Scousers away) to absolute and utter Dog-shyte - Notting Forest and last night against the scousefilth.

There simply is NO Consistency.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:46 pm
I'm really, REALLY trying to be "Positive" but I just can't muster any enthusiasm or hope as we keep careering from one or two Excellent performances (Man City & Scousers away) to absolute and utter Dog-shyte - Notting Forest and last night against the scousefilth.

Reminds of the 87-88 season. The hope is when this team clicks and finds it rhythm we will be back in contention. I'm beginning to believe that Guendouzi could have a huge positive impact on this team if he comes back. He's maturing really well at Marseille and found a settled midfield role, something that he was struggling with under Emery/ Arteta.He looks like he's developing into a midfield general, driving the team forward from deep, and becoming a leader we desperately need on the pitch. We are 2 players away from a strong, challenging first 11. A midfield stalwart to replace Xhaka and a striker to replace Aubameyang.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:05 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:

Reminds of the 87-88 season. The hope is when this team clicks and finds it rhythm we will be back in contention. I'm beginning to believe that Guendouzi could have a huge positive impact on this team if he comes back. He's maturing really well at Marseille and found a settled midfield role, something that he was struggling with under Emery/ Arteta.He looks like he's developing into a midfield general, driving the team forward from deep, and becoming a leader we desperately need on the pitch. We are 2 players away from a strong, challenging first 11. A midfield stalwart to replace Xhaka and a striker to replace Aubameyang.
Except for the fact we reached the final of the League Cup that season, the quarter final of the FA Cup and signed Dixon, Winterburn and Bould to start building the best back line in the land, an experienced and invaluable player in Brian Marwood, and a proper centre forward in Alan Smith. Oh and we won away at the then champions Everton too! Apart from that, very similar :D

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:36 pm
Might mean we get some more dough for transfers in the summer. :rubchin:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Tomorrow it will be down to four months until another dull season draws to a close. The countdown begins

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Nos89 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Doui is gone, Marseilles have 8m option to buy that they will surely exercise, and then flog him for 35m to PSG. As i understand it that option as agreed this year will not be impacted by their transfer ban, which they will be appealing and delaying anyway, so fairly sure the Douzi ship has sailed.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Have to agree on Gendouzi, he arrived from a different league where the 'banter/ sledging' between players is very different to how it is in the Prem (a mixture of verbals and the physical, also he was still learning the dark arts), if Arteta was as good a man manager as his mentor - Gendouzi would still be with us and IMO "Pulling Up Trees" (and perhaps, just perhaps Clive would be long gone) - So I too hope there is a way to bring him back to us.(*)

I'm not certain, but most loans with an option to buy depends on the selling club; so we could say no and bring him back; especially as him and Saliba have become best mates and according to Arteta Saliba IS coming back. Who the Fuck knows eh!?

I think we are 2 - 3 Players away from becoming a Top 4 odds on team and whilst I do see Arteta has the makings of a very good manager, he isn't there by quite some distance yet.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:03 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:36 pm
Might mean we get some more dough for transfers in the summer. :rubchin:
That could make progress in all the other competitions A Piece of Cake. :D

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:53 pm
Nos89 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Have to agree on Gendouzi, he arrived from a different league where the 'banter/ sledging' between players is very different to how it is in the Prem (a mixture of verbals and the physical, also he was still learning the dark arts), if Arteta was as good a man manager as his mentor - Gendouzi would still be with us and IMO "Pulling Up Trees" (and perhaps, just perhaps Clive would be long gone) - So I too hope there is a way to bring him back to us.(*)

I'm not certain, but most loans with an option to buy depends on the selling club; so we could say no and bring him back; especially as him and Saliba have become best mates and according to Arteta Saliba IS coming back. Who the Fuck knows eh!?

I think we are 2 - 3 Players away from becoming a Top 4 odds on team and whilst I do see Arteta has the makings of a very good manager, he isn't there by quite some distance yet.
OBG the option in 99% of cases sits with the buyer.

They pay a premium at the start for that option, the seller has no say in if they take it up or not.

They will have paid the premium either as part of the loan fee or maybe agree to pay all his wages to get that option...but knowing our club we probably just let them have the option gratis, so if he does well they get a bargain, if he does shit we get him back.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:53 pm
Nos89 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

The bloke who cuts my barnet is a Marseille supporter and every time I see him, he tells me how he can't understand why Arsenal have let the pair of them go on loan. He says every Marseille supporter is desperate for them to stay permanently but they can't see it happening. Nobody in the French league can explain why Saliba isn't playing in England, apparently.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Well, when thinking about it, Arteta has made quite a few mistakes as all managers do; though of course his constant mistake is keeping on with Clive. So it's not surprising to think he has made a mistake on this. All part of the Process I'm sure :? :roll: