Mensi Angelic Upstarts RIP Sunderland Home LC QF tribute & match thread. Tues 21 Dec 7.45PM

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Almunia is a clown

Mensi Angelic Upstarts RIP Sunderland Home LC QF tribute & match thread. Tues 21 Dec 7.45PM

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Sunderland's Mensi, of the Angelic Upstarts punk band has passed away from covid. A top fella who used to go over the Clock End when in the smoke & had many friends over The Arsenal. RIP Mensi.

Since we don't have a Sunderland LC QF match thread I thought I'd start one in his memory. :barscarf:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity- ... e-25671605

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16UnVhp4bEM

(Warning, a perverted BBC DJ is present on the above clip)

rich31

Re: Mensi Angelic Upstarts RIP Sunderland Home LC QF tribute & match thread. Tues 21 Dec 7.45PM

Post by rich31 »

Yeah sad news..he was a man who stuck by his roots and beliefs .Whether you liked his music or not it promoted and helped create and keep alive a sub culture, which gave much to many .R.I.P.

safcftm

Re: Mensi Angelic Upstarts RIP Sunderland Home LC QF tribute & match thread. Tues 21 Dec 7.45PM

Post by safcftm »

Where to start on this one, it's been a while!
In fact I probably know where to start https://mobile.twitter.com/Iandennisbbc ... 7210947590 this was absolute class from the Arsenal. Louise was very much loved and respected at SAFC and the fact arsenal have chosen to do that (and not to seek positive PR for it) speaks volumes about them as a club.

Will the game even go ahead? Possibly not, but let's just pretend it is for the purposes of the thread.

We're a bit shit and we've been massively hit by injuries (we've had 7 first teamers out for at least 2 months). Currently Cirkin (got him from your friends and neighbours), Huggins and McGeady are all out, so we don't have full backs or our most creative player. And even if we had them we'd get fucked at the Emirates.

We generally try to play football and will enjoy having a pitch that doesn't resemble a recently ploughed field to play on, even our pitch seems to be joining in with the general league one standard. We probably won't get the ball enough to pass it much though.

We don't really have any good players tbh, certainly not in terms of playing against a PL side. Dan Neil is a tidy midfielder, recently called into the England u20 side so he'll be getting tapped up. Ross Stewart up front works hard and will want to impress the Scotland boss, scored a few this season but he should when he's playing morecambe and the likes. Nathan broadhead on loan from Everton is decent. Other than that we range from the fairly competent plodder to the type that are always likely to fall over the ball.

Still, we've sold out our allocation, probably be a decent atmosphere because I think everyone has basically decided just to get pissed and accept that we're going to get bent over and fucked "sans-lube". Was a bit annoyed that we drew arsenal, wanted a team in europe because they'd be more likely to rest shit loads of players, would be even less arsed about winning this and would give us a very slightly better chance, but now Covid is a thing again hopefully you'll rest loads anyway.

Prediction : fuck knows. Keep it below 5 and I'll be happy. I'll be optimistic and say you'll rest a lot, score 3 and stop playing, so 3-0 it is. But it might not be. Either way, both got bigger fish to fry, you need CL back, we need to get out of this fucking awful footballing backwater. At least we've got further than the "richest club in the world" who remain utterly shit.
Last edited by safcftm on Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

John F

Post by John F »

safcftm wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:14 am
In fact I probably know where to start https://mobile.twitter.com/Iandennisbbc ... 7210947590 this was absolute class film the Arsenal. Louise was very much loved and respected at SAFC and the fact arsenal have chosen to do that (and not to seek positive PR for it) speaks volumes about them as a club.

Will the game even go ahead? Possibly not, but let's just pretend it is for the purposes of the thread.

We're a bit shit and we've been massively hit by injuries (we've had 7 first teamers out for at least 2 months). Currently Cirkin (got him from your friends and neighbours), Huggins and McGeady are all out, so we don't have full backs or our most creative player. And even if we had them we'd get fucked at the Emirates.

We generally try to play football and will enjoy having a pitch that doesn't reassemble a recently ploughed field to play on, even our pitch seems to be joining in with the general league one standard. We probably won't get the ball enough to pass it much though.

We don't really have any good players tbh, certainly not in terms of playing against a PL side. Dan Neil is a tidy midfielder, recently called into the England u20 side so he'll be getting tapped up. Ross Stewart up front works hard and will want to impress the Scotland boss, scored a few this season but he should when he's playing morecambe and the likes. Nathan broadhead on loan from Everton is decent. Other than that we range from the fairly competent plodder to the type that are always likely to fall over the ball.

Still, we've sold out our allocation, probably be a decent atmosphere because I think everyone has basically decided just to get pissed and accept that we're going to get bent over and fucked "sans-lube". Was a bit annoyed that we drew arsenal, wanted a team in europe because they'd be more likely to rest shit loads of players, would be even less arsed about winning this and would give us a very slightly better chance, but now Covid is a thing again hopefully you'll rest loads anyway.

Prediction : fuck knows. Keep it below 5 and I'll be happy. I'll be optimistic and say you'll rest a lot, score 3 and stop playing, so 3-0 it is. But it might not be. Either way, both got bigger fish to fry, you need CL back, we need to get out of this fucking awful footballing backwater. At least we've got further than the "richest club in the world" who remain utterly shit.
I always enjoyed reading your posts in the past and it is good to hear from you again.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

John F wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:54 am
safcftm wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:14 am
In fact I probably know where to start https://mobile.twitter.com/Iandennisbbc ... 7210947590 this was absolute class film the Arsenal. Louise was very much loved and respected at SAFC and the fact arsenal have chosen to do that (and not to seek positive PR for it) speaks volumes about them as a club.

We generally try to play football and will enjoy having a pitch that doesn't reassemble a recently ploughed field to play on, even our pitch seems to be joining in with the general league one standard. We probably won't get the ball enough to pass it much though.

I always enjoyed reading your posts in the past and it is good to hear from you again.
Indeed, don’t be a stranger mate :barscarf:

I look at the league tables from time to time and still find it strange that league one (or division 3 to me ) has the likes of Sunderland, Portsmouth and Ipswich in it, soon to be joined by Derby. These, to me are big clubs, with good strong support and it’s a real shame that they have sunk so far.
Both Ipswich and Derby have won the top division more recently than our swap swelling cousins :lol: :lol:

Occasionally I check out the top non-league division, whatever it is called now and am a bit shocked at the number of teams who I still think of as still I the football league system.

wibble

Post by wibble »

We may not be in Europe but we’ll still rest plenty of players for this one given the league schedule

I guess our line up will be something like this:

Leno
Tavares, Holding, Mari, Cedric
AMN , ?
Pepe, ESR, Nketiah
Balogun

Not sure who we’ll play in central midfield with sambi out with covid. Also, neither balogun or Nketiah really works out wide but unsure what other options would be, perhaps a change of formation with two up top?

Edit: just seen Mari has Covid too. Perhaps 2 or 3 first team players in the starting lineup then.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

wibble wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:22 pm
We may not be in Europe but we’ll still rest plenty of players for this one given the league schedule

Leno
AMN , ?
Pepe, ESR, Nketiah
Balogun

Not sure who we’ll play in central midfield with sambi out with covid. Also, neither balogun or Nketiah really works out wide but unsure what other options would be, perhaps a change of formation with two up top?

Edit: just seen Mari has Covid too. Perhaps 2 or 3 first team players in the starting lineup then.
I’m not convinced Leno will play - think he may well be angling for a move in Jan and be a “ lettle bit short”

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

wibble wrote:

Leno
AMN , ?
Pepe, ESR, Nketiah
Balogun

Elneny is fit and Chambers can play alongside Holding at the back. Suspect Nketiah will be up front alone. So, I think..

Leno; Cedric, Holding, Chambers, Tavares; Maitland Niles, Elneny; Pepe, Smith Rowe, Saka/Martinelli/Odegaard; Nketiah

Should be good enough to make semis.

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

At least it sounds like it should be going ahead. Sounds like broadhead (one of our better players, albeit that isn't saying much) has Covid which would be a blow. Just hoping we at least try to have a go and make a game of it

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

arrgee wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:45 pm
wibble wrote:

Leno
AMN , ?
Pepe, ESR, Nketiah
Balogun

Elneny is fit and Chambers can play alongside Holding at the back. Suspect Nketiah will be up front alone. So, I think..

Leno; Cedric, Holding, Chambers, Tavares; Maitland Niles, Elneny; Pepe, Smith Rowe, Saka/Martinelli/Odegaard; Nketiah

Personally, I wouldn’t risk Smith Rowe, Saka, Martinelli or Odergaard.
Nketieh, Balogun, Pepe, with one of the very good young uns should get a game.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

safcftm wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:11 pm
At least it sounds like it should be going ahead. Sounds like broadhead (one of our better players, albeit that isn't saying much) has Covid which would be a blow. Just hoping we at least try to have a go and make a game of it
How many supporters you got coming down ?

wibble

Post by wibble »

StuartL wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:23 pm
arrgee wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:45 pm
wibble wrote:

Leno
AMN , ?
Pepe, ESR, Nketiah
Balogun

I completely forgot about elneny!
I reckon smith Rowe will start since he’s not been starting league games recently.
Here’s hoping for a good game, a win and no injuries!

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

StuartL wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:23 pm
Can’t see Balogun starting.

Smith Rowe has been sub in last two league games so likely to start. I suspect Saka, Martinelli or Odegaard will start with him, and they will swap each other out around 60 minutes.

Shame Aubameyang has been ostracised, would be a good game for him to play in.

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:03 pm
safcftm wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:11 pm
How many supporters you got coming down ?
We were given 5,500 tickets apparently and sold it out. Hopefully you get a good crowd in as well (not sure how well your league cup attendances hold up, but assuming there'll be a lot), could be a cracking atmosphere even if the game is a bit of a mismatch :lol:

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

Just seen the provisional arsenal squad for tomorrow : Ramsdale, Tierney, White, Gabriel, Tomiyasu, Partey, Saka, Odegaard, Xhaka, Lacazette, Martinelli, Leno, Holding, Tavares, Smith Rowe, Maitland-Niles, Elneny, Pepe, Aubameyang, Nketiah, Balogun

Bit fucking harsh that like, there's just no need :lol: