Mensi Angelic Upstarts RIP Sunderland Home LC QF tribute & match thread. Tues 21 Dec 7.45PM

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Ernie71

Re: Mensi Angelic Upstarts RIP Sunderland Home LC QF tribute & match thread. Tues 21 Dec 7.45PM

Post by Ernie71 »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:30 pm
Exactly the performance wanted against a league 1 team. Eddie hat trick, excellent, Pepe goal and two assists good for confidence. Patino scoring on his senior team debut lovely. I loved the way he was absolutely determined to get that ball in the net.
Merse's is right about Eddie, sign the contract stick around for a couple more years as the club is moving forward. Rarely do strikers get their rhythm in their early 20's, mid twenties onwards when they score majority of their goals.
Disappointed with Balogun again. It seems the league cup is where the opportunity comes for the youngsters and need to make an impression in the games when you can. In recent memory Martinelli, Tierney and Nketiah have done that. It'll be great to win this cup again after 29 years
Eddie is not good enough,Sunderland are his level.Why do Arsenal fans get carried away when players play well v lower league opposition?. The same goes for Pepe.We have made too many mistakes with contracts in the last few years Ozil Aubameyang Xhaka lets not go down that road again. In 18 league games this season Nketiah has not been in the squad 14 times

Ernie71

Re: Mensi Angelic Upstarts RIP Sunderland Home LC QF tribute & match thread. Tues 21 Dec 7.45PM

Post by Ernie71 »

Thynker wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:18 pm
Nketiah is an awesome finisher anywhere in front of goal.

Xhaka coming on has settled the midfield gaps - it is a League one side after all.

Surprised Martinelli coming on - absolutely no need to risk him with the game won
He hit the post from 6 inches v Everton

John F

Post by John F »

safcftm wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:41 am
Ah well, the expected result in the end. To be fair I didn't think there was much in it at all in the first half, just went to shit when we lost broadhead, but for a decent spell we kept the ball well and didn't look like a league one side, Pritchard in particular looked comfortable. Defensively we were awful again mind and that'll always be punished by players that the likes of arsenal have. Second half was too easy but there we go (Hume will never live down making Pepe look like Pele). Oh well, back to trying to get out of this shit league.

Plenty for arsenal fans to be optimistic about though, some proper good younguns. Be interesting to see if Nketiah gets a real chance with Aubameyang being in the bad books. The lad looks a prospect but he's got to be getting first team football. Like I say we were shit at the back but you attacked well, good use of overlaps, clinical finishing, taken a while but Arteta seems to be getting it right. Every chance of top 4 this season, good luck with that and the semi finals
I thought you played well in the first half and kept Leno on his toes.Hopefully the Wear/Tyne derby will be back on next season.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Ernie71 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:03 am
Thynker wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:18 pm
Nketiah is an awesome finisher anywhere in front of goal.

Xhaka coming on has settled the midfield gaps - it is a League one side after all.

Surprised Martinelli coming on - absolutely no need to risk him with the game won
He hit the post from 6 inches v Everton
:lol:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Eddie for me is too light weight for the PL, go back and watch his games he fluffs too many chances or just gets hussled off the ball. Against lower level opposition he has the time and space he needs.

I know people think he just needs a run but it's not just his goal scoring that is the problem he doesn't link well, he doesn't hold it up etc. In a way he reminds me of Jeffers. He probably would be decent alongside a target man but we don't play that way.

On Balogun he definitely needs a loan spell at a good team but in terms of last night I feel he was played out of position.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Lets hope Chelsea play their kids tonight and get bashed, ditto Liverpool and hopefully West Ham can do what they love doing to the vermin so often.......up for the cup, game on!

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

John F wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:11 am
safcftm wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:41 am
Ah well, the expected result in the end. To be fair I didn't think there was much in it at all in the first half, just went to shit when we lost broadhead, but for a decent spell we kept the ball well and didn't look like a league one side, Pritchard in particular looked comfortable. Defensively we were awful again mind and that'll always be punished by players that the likes of arsenal have. Second half was too easy but there we go (Hume will never live down making Pepe look like Pele). Oh well, back to trying to get out of this shit league.

Plenty for arsenal fans to be optimistic about though, some proper good younguns. Be interesting to see if Nketiah gets a real chance with Aubameyang being in the bad books. The lad looks a prospect but he's got to be getting first team football. Like I say we were shit at the back but you attacked well, good use of overlaps, clinical finishing, taken a while but Arteta seems to be getting it right. Every chance of top 4 this season, good luck with that and the semi finals
I thought you played well in the first half and kept Leno on his toes.Hopefully the Wear/Tyne derby will be back on next season.
I agree with Pritchard he stood out for me and I thought Broadhead played well too until he went off . You had some nice passing moves and in general look to be a decent outfit. I thought 5 was a bit flattering but it showed the difference in sharpness in the end.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:50 am
Thats it for the run outs for the second stringers. Now we are in the semi finals and with no Europe. The League Cup should be high priority and the first team should play in both semi finals.
Looking at the other six clubs, Arsenal will need to play first team. The two legs are either side of the FA Cup 3rd round against Forest where I suspect some of the lesser lights will play.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:28 am
Thynker wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:22 pm
Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:37 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:33 pm
The transfer of hair from Rob Holding’s arse to his head still the most impressive sight of the evening for me 8)
If I had his missus, I'd be doing the same. Absolute treacle!

https://premierleaguenewsnow.com/wp-con ... scaled.jpg
Are they her own arms? They're very hairy.
I just want to erupt in/on that :barscarf:
It was YOU he was talking about mate!. :lol:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:18 am
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:50 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:25 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:23 pm
Eighteen my bollocks! He looks about 12. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: That's what I thought! :high5:
Yeah yeah,, talk about hiding in the open :shock: :lol:
:coffeespit:

Superb Lefty. I genuinely laughed out loud there. :lol:
:lol:

I thought you might appreciate that, how you feeling now dude.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Thats it for the run outs for the second stringers. Now we are in the semi finals and with no Europe. The League Cup should be high priority and the first team should play in both semi finals.

For fuck sake dont keep playing the team that 'got us here'. Wenger won a lot of respect for fielding the kids against Jose's Chelsea machine with Cech, Terry, Lampard Droga as the spine back in 2007. They valiantly lost 2-1. Which was indicative of how Wenger was managing the team (winning isnt everything).

Ill be pissed if Arteta doesn't field the strongest team. Mind you, I think he isn't stupid and will jump two feet in trying to win this cup
Do the winners 🏆 get a Europa cup place ?
I genuinely don’t know any more :rubchin:

Whoever we get in the semi’s will be a tough test - could be the making of this young team in the exact same way that George’s kids won the 87 semi’s v tiny totts and the final v scousers :barscarf: :barscarf:

Could even be an exact replica, draw depending.

I don’t think Arteta could gamble winning a 🏆 for giving Leno a game over Ramsdale.

John F

Post by John F »

StuartL wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:08 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:

For fuck sake dont keep playing the team that 'got us here'. Wenger won a lot of respect for fielding the kids against Jose's Chelsea machine with Cech, Terry, Lampard Droga as the spine back in 2007. They valiantly lost 2-1. Which was indicative of how Wenger was managing the team (winning isnt everything).

Ill be pissed if Arteta doesn't field the strongest team. Mind you, I think he isn't stupid and will jump two feet in trying to win this cup
Do the winners 🏆 get a Europa cup place ?
I genuinely don’t know any more :rubchin:

Whoever we get in the semi’s will be a tough test - could be the making of this young team in the exact same way that George’s kids won the 87 semi’s v tiny totts and the final v scousers :barscarf: :barscarf:

Could even be an exact replica, draw depending.

I don’t think Arteta could gamble winning a 🏆 for giving Leno a game over Ramsdale.
No Stuart from what I read unfortunately it's been downgraded to the conference cup.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

When is the draw for the semi's?

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:58 pm
In just a moment. https://youtu.be/0nDf9o4qXXg

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:00 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:58 pm
In just a moment. https://youtu.be/0nDf9o4qXXg
:cheers: PG! :high5: