Auba dropped again , now remove the captaincy

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who would you replace Auba with as captain

Gabriel
19%
Tierney
52%
White
4%
Ramsdale
15%
Saka
No votes
Odegaar
No votes
Tommy
No votes
Partey
No votes
Pointy fucktard ( for Rodders)
11%
Laca (with a new contract)
No votes

Total votes: 27

Ernie71

Re: Auba dropped again , now remove the captaincy

Post by Ernie71 »

31 years ago this week an Arsenal captain ended up in jail. Was he stripped of the captaincy? No he wasnt because we had a real manager back in 1990.That captain turned out to be the greatest captain in the clubs history. Arteta would have stripped him

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Ernie71 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:03 pm
31 years ago this week an Arsenal captain ended up in jail. Was he stripped of the captaincy? No he wasnt because we had a real manager back in 1990.That captain turned out to be the greatest captain in the clubs history. Arteta would have stripped him
He wasn't a lazy cùnt though. :lol:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:52 pm
Ernie71 wrote:
Just a stupid one

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:04 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Ernie71 wrote:
Just a stupid one
Yep. True. But a proper leader of men on the pitch.

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

StuartL wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Ernie71 wrote:
Just a stupid one
Not that stupid. He was balls deep in Caprice for awhile back in the 90s.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:57 pm
Leaders on a football pitch pick themselves as the captain, not wait to be given armband. It wouldn't surprise me if Arteta went and bought Sterling and made him club captain. It's clear from the Amazon all or noting, at City those two had a good working relationship.
Feels like one last sweep clearing of the decks of wenger/ emery signings, with Xhaka and Pepe gonna get moved on in the summer because of the AFCON.

I've made this same point many times over the past 12 months - I always questioned if pep's coneboy is an insecure guy cos he doesnt seem to want any player who had any type of strong relationship with with previous managers in case they compare him and he isnt as good in their eyes. No matter what anyone says to me, I will never accept that there was any logic to pissing away so much money on odeargod when we had a better player of our own in that position, but now because he signed odeargod he has shifted smith-rowe out to the wing in the hope that he can proof that odeargod is playing better than smith-rowe, but this comparison ignores the fact that smith-rowe is out of position. The way he marginalised martinelli until last month or so has bordered on criminal, but he was an emery signing and was one of our most exciting young players under emery. There are others who have been cast aside, and I seriously believe that there were huge warning signs when he left Tierney on the bench for 4 games after he came back from injury, that maybe peps coneboy was trying to force his own man in ahead of him too

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Augie I hate to say it but nearly every manager ever has moved players on or sidelined players in favour of ones they prefer this isn't unique to Arteta.

I disagree with his choices but to try to insinuate this is abnormal behaviour or some sort of ego trip is a bit far fetched.

Hopefully, as personally I believe we are stuck with Arteta, he will come to realise that he is making mistakes with some of the players and sometimes it is only through making mistakes that people learn and if he doesn't then it will cost him.

I've said all along he is nowhere near ready for this level and in reality he needs at least another 3 seasons probably more. Ascribing mistakes seasoned managers make to a complete novice and acting like he shouldn't be making them is ridiculous

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:55 am
Nos89 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:57 pm
Leaders on a football pitch pick themselves as the captain, not wait to be given armband. It wouldn't surprise me if Arteta went and bought Sterling and made him club captain. It's clear from the Amazon all or noting, at City those two had a good working relationship.
Feels like one last sweep clearing of the decks of wenger/ emery signings, with Xhaka and Pepe gonna get moved on in the summer because of the AFCON.

I've made this same point many times over the past 12 months - I always questioned if pep's coneboy is an insecure guy cos he doesnt seem to want any player who had any type of strong relationship with with previous managers in case they compare him and he isnt as good in their eyes. No matter what anyone says to me, I will never accept that there was any logic to pissing away so much money on odeargod when we had a better player of our own in that position, but now because he signed odeargod he has shifted smith-rowe out to the wing in the hope that he can proof that odeargod is playing better than smith-rowe, but this comparison ignores the fact that smith-rowe is out of position. The way he marginalised martinelli until last month or so has bordered on criminal, but he was an emery signing and was one of our most exciting young players under emery. There are others who have been cast aside, and I seriously believe that there were huge warning signs when he left Tierney on the bench for 4 games after he came back from injury, that maybe peps coneboy was trying to force his own man in ahead of him too
Every manager does have their own agenda and to make the team their own, that is a given. Wenger never gave any credit to Graham for the double team of 1998, even though 6 first teamers were Grahams's players.
Arteta seems to be very much a managing the players on trust. Martinelli breached his trust when he openly stated that he would rather play in a Brazil qualifier rather than play in an Arsenal premier league game. Tbh that would piss me off too. Auba clearly has breached Arteta's trust in some way, therefore, Arteta has ditched him. He hasn't ditched xhaka after everything he's said and done, so your argument falls down in that respect. But then xhaka falls down in every argument. Maybe Auba wants out to Barcelona and sees the only way to force the move was to become unreliable, which I'm sure he did at Dortmund before coming to us.
I was against the odegaard signing yet he is proving to be a better player than willock, who he replaced in the squad. I'd still have smith rowe ahead of him in the no.10 position and drop odegaard back to the no.8 position which is similar to the role Paul Davis used to play.
We do need better players to come in January and for me Bissouma fits the bills, or Declan Rice if we are willing to pay £85m because he has the capability to take the game by the scruff of the neck, much like he did last night after the sending off and kept west ham on the front foot, which put us in disarray for about 10 minutes.
I was concerned about Tierney, maybe he wasn't 100% fit to start a match given his muscular injury hit past, but remaining on the pitch last night when Tavares came on for Martinelli, indicates to me that Arteta has Tierney as his first choice left back.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:55 am
The way he marginalised martinelli until last month or so has bordered on criminal, but he was an emery signing and was one of our most exciting young players under emery.
How many premier league games did Martinelli start under Emery?

Yep. that's right ZERO.

8)

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Kingralph wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:21 am
StuartL wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Ernie71 wrote:
Just a stupid one
Not that stupid. He was balls deep in Caprice for awhile back in the 90s.
We’ve all been there mate :lol:

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

I heard Tierney is a quite lad. I cant help but feel Ramsdale should be the captain. Tierney is also boyish in his appearance - for me he just wont be able to make the most of the power of the armband. '

The more I think about it, the more Ramsdale is the best option

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

In order. My choices are Ramsdale, Gabriel, Tierney.

Please dont fuck it up again with Odegaard or Xhaka. Xhaka needs to be sold, where as Odegaard is a nifty player who has been among the goals lately, but the idea of him captain is ridiculous given he isnt even assured a place in the starting 11

Its a hard choice between the three I mentioned. But its not a hard choice to not give it to Xhaka or Odegaard.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is no longer training with the Arsenal first team & is expected to work on his own at the club until he leaves for the Africa Cup of Nations. [Telegraph] #afc https://t.co/BHNHMULQpe

Aubameyang has not gone on strike or refused to train, with the club devising a regime for him to work alone to maintain his fitness at Arsenal’s London Colney complex. Both Arsenal & the player expects this situation to continue until he departs for the AFCON. [Telegraph] #afc

Arteta will have to decide whether or not Aubameyang can be reintegrated into first-team training & his squad for the remainder of the season. Aubameyang has been left in the dark over whether or not Arsenal will try to offload him next month. [Telegraph] #afc

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Boomerang has gone full Ozil. The minute he got that huge pay increase he stopped giving a fuck and has been gash for months. How long did we wait for Ozil to refind his form? Let's not make the same mistake again. Offload him. He's no use to us now.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:10 pm
Boomerang has gone full Ozil. The minute he got that huge pay increase he stopped giving a fuck and has been gash for months. How long did we wait for Ozil to refind his form? Let's not make the same mistake again. Offload him. He's no use to us now.
I suspect that but for AFCON, he would be gone in a fortnight. If Gabon are out sharpish, PEA will be gone by end of January.