Mid season report

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Mid season report

Post by StuartL »

So, 19 games played we find ourselves at the halfway stage of the season.

Sitting 4th :barscarf: albeit having played a game or two more than some (or should that be scum)

Thought I’d give my marks out of 10 for the players given the season so far - and would be interested to see yours.

Ramsdale - 10 I was indifferent to signing him, hadn’t ever took much notice previously, boy was I wrong…he has been superb, deservedly usurped Leno as our no1, and got his England cap too. Will only get better as he gets older too :shock:

Leno - 6 maybe unlucky to play in our first 3 matches which we lost, was consistent for 2/3 seasons and regularly our best player.
Hasn’t done anything particularly wrong, but he is just not Ramsdale is he ?

Tomi - 9 another brilliant signing, slotted in to our defence with seemingly no issues, strong, quick, wins his ariel duels, we are so much better with him rather than Bellerin.

White - 7 came for big money which is not his fault, but yet to really impress defensively but still a big improvement on the likes of Luiz, Mustafi etc, I hope and expect him to get better as the season goes on and his partnership with Gabriel gels further.

Gabriel - 8 I really like his physical presence, he appears to enjoy the big battles, the way Tony Adams used to - he was our player of the month for the first 3 months he joined us, then took a while to get back to his level after Covid took its toll. Looks like he is back in the groove again. Also a good option for our corners.

Tierney - 8 May well benefit from being able to be rested for some matches when Tavares plays. Has the drive, determination and will to win that we need all over the pitch.

Tavares - 7 given his inexperience in the premier league he has settled in remarkably well, taken apart at Anfield, but many are - his engine is excellent, and his strength a big plus - needs to be calmer in the opposition box to pick the right option.

Holding - 7 stepped in when required and been solid enough, doesn’t seem to be angling for a move, decent squad player to have.

Xhaka - 5 still does nothing of note for me in a match apart from concede fouls, and play backwards, 1 decent assist is not enough to merit a higher score.

Partey - 6, I expected more from him, he does have the ability but rarely does it surface. With both our central midfield being poor performers this is the area for me, which needs the most urgent addressing.

Smith Rowe - 9 love this guys attitude, he carries that ball forward with intent, looks for players in better positions and has now got the knack of being in the right place for the finish. So happy he got his England cap and now a goal too - again will only get better with experience.

Odegaard - 8 has finally settled into the playmaker role, has good eye for a killer pass, needs to shoot more himself when in the box. May well turn out to be a bargain at £30m.

Lonkonga 7 again not a player I knew anything about but I do believe he has a lot of raw attributes to become a great player, if he can keep developing.

Saka 9 - looked tired ( not surprisingly) after last season and his summer exploits. but now seems ike he has got his mojo back again.
Has taken a lot of physical attention from opponents to try and kick him out of matches,. Does often get double / triple marked, so needs to shift the ball quickly to see us have men spare elsewhere.

Pepe - 6 his the ability to bamboozle defences but often ends up doing the same to himself. 3rd season in he is no more consistent than previously and now is not first choice in our 11.

Martinelli 8 , has taken a while to show the talent that we all knew he possessed and has shown in the least 2 seasons, love his attitude of non-stop harassment of opponents not giving them time to settle. Looks like he is enjoying his playing time, long may it continue.

Auba - 4 poor example of leadership, bad attitude, and poor performances - he is not going to improve and needs a move to rekindle what is left of his career.

Lacazette - 8 Lacks the goals which some expect , but his link up play and hard work, for me are pivotal in giving the youngsters the freedom to play.
I would love him to stay for another year, with maybe another 1 year option after that.

Arteta - 8 didn’t want him as manager, still have huge reservations about his lack of experience and substitutions at times and he may have been very lucky to have Saka, Smith Rowe and Martinelli here to give him a young energetic foundation but he has also got rid of Ozil, Luiz, Mustafi etc who were dragging us down and overseen a great summer recruitment, so fair play.

IF he gets 4th, it will be a great achievement and with 1 or 2 further quality additions we could cement our place back in the top 4 at the expense of our nearest and dearest and or the Mancs which will be so sweet.

arrgee

Re: Mid season report

Post by arrgee »

StuartL wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:11 pm
would be interested to see yours.
Not very different, but I think a bit hard on Aubamayang who has been a great player for Arsenal and just seems to have had all confidence drained from him. He has scored 7 goals which given that isn’t too bad.

Ramsdale 9 - As good as any keeper right now.
Leno 7 - Good, but not quite top class

Tomi 8 -played well so far, but there have been a couple of occasions where he has been outmuscled
Cedric 6 - solid enough back up
Chambers 6 - bad start which has left him on fringes but pleased he scored in league cup
White 7 - jury’s out. Maybe second best centre half, but not sure he is as good a defender as holding or chambers
Gabriel 9 - making the difference. Best centre half since sol Campbell.
Tierney 9 - the best when he plays but a bit too injury prone.
Tavares 7 - prone to sloppy mistakes but looks like he can play
Holding 7 - better defender than White, but less of a ball player. Not done too much wrong when called upon.
Mari 6 - limited game time and expect he will leave soon
Kolasinac 6 - limited game time and expect he will also go soon.

Xhaka 3 - utterly pointless despite his pointing. Rarely passes forwards, looks like getting a red card every game. Must be better options
Partey 3 - not making much of a contribution. Some signs of adapting recently, but not meeting expectations
Sambi 6 - good player with potential. Had a nightmare at Anfield, but hopefully can get back into team.
Elneny 7 - the most reliable central midfielder. Tidy on the ball, keeps it simple and lets the artists do their job.
Maitland Niles 3 - not going to make it at Arsenal, so time to go

Smith Rowe 10 - does everything you could reasonably expect of a footballer, scores, chases, passes. The goal against scum and him saying it was the best day of his life rates him a 10 without anything else!
Odegaard 8 - starting to show he can play, but gave away sloppy penalty at old toilet and can disappear in games. Will be interesting to see how he performs in big games in January
Saka 9 - as key as Smith Rowe, maybe a little less of a playmaker, but does everything else.
Pepe 3 (But when he plays well 7) - infuriating as he can play well like he did against Sunderland when he looked superb. But it was only Sunderland. Hard to see him getting past Smith Rowe, Saka and Martinelli
Martinelli 9 - at last he gets to play and shows how valuable he is. Like Smith Rowe and Saka, does so much and looks to be lethal in front of goal.

Auba 7 - best days are behind him, but he has scored goals and done what he can.
Lacazette 8 - ranks higher for being the catalyst that makes Martinelli, Smith Rowe and Saka than his own exploits. Should score more.
Nketiah 6 - goal poacher in league cup, anonymous in league. May need to step up if Lacazette gets injured, n9t sure he will
Balogun 5 - more to come, but not showing his talent in the opportunities he has had in the first team.

Arteta 7 persisted with Aubamayang when Lacazette and Martinelli were chomping at the bit and poor game management let Manchester United and Everton steal wins. January will show if he has learnt to push the team up rather than sitting back when ahead.

DB10GOONER

Re: Mid season report

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:11 pm
So, 19 games played we find ourselves at the halfway stage of the season.

Sitting 4th :barscarf: albeit having played a game or two more than some (or should that be scum)

Thought I’d give my marks out of 10 for the players given the season so far - and would be interested to see yours.

Ramsdale - 10 I was indifferent to signing him, hadn’t ever took much notice previously, boy was I wrong…he has been superb, deservedly usurped Leno as our no1, and got his England cap too. Will only get better as he gets older too :shock:

Leno - 6 maybe unlucky to play in our first 3 matches which we lost, was consistent for 2/3 seasons and regularly our best player.
Hasn’t done anything particularly wrong, but he is just not Ramsdale is he ?

Tomi - 9 another brilliant signing, slotted in to our defence with seemingly no issues, strong, quick, wins his ariel duels, we are so much better with him rather than Bellerin.

White - 7 came for big money which is not his fault, but yet to really impress defensively but still a big improvement on the likes of Luiz, Mustafi etc, I hope and expect him to get better as the season goes on and his partnership with Gabriel gels further.

Gabriel - 8 I really like his physical presence, he appears to enjoy the big battles, the way Tony Adams used to - he was our player of the month for the first 3 months he joined us, then took a while to get back to his level after Covid took its toll. Looks like he is back in the groove again. Also a good option for our corners.

Tierney - 8 May well benefit from being able to be rested for some matches when Tavares plays. Has the drive, determination and will to win that we need all over the pitch.

Tavares - 7 given his inexperience in the premier league he has settled in remarkably well, taken apart at Anfield, but many are - his engine is excellent, and his strength a big plus - needs to be calmer in the opposition box to pick the right option.

Holding - 7 stepped in when required and been solid enough, doesn’t seem to be angling for a move, decent squad player to have.

Xhaka - 5 still does nothing of note for me in a match apart from concede fouls, and play backwards, 1 decent assist is not enough to merit a higher score.

Partey - 6, I expected more from him, he does have the ability but rarely does it surface. With both our central midfield being poor performers this is the area for me, which needs the most urgent addressing.

Smith Rowe - 9 love this guys attitude, he carries that ball forward with intent, looks for players in better positions and has now got the knack of being in the right place for the finish. So happy he got his England cap and now a goal too - again will only get better with experience.

Odegaard - 8 has finally settled into the playmaker role, has good eye for a killer pass, needs to shoot more himself when in the box. May well turn out to be a bargain at £30m.

Lonkonga 7 again not a player I knew anything about but I do believe he has a lot of raw attributes to become a great player, if he can keep developing.

Saka 9 - looked tired ( not surprisingly) after last season and his summer exploits. but now seems ike he has got his mojo back again.
Has taken a lot of physical attention from opponents to try and kick him out of matches,. Does often get double / triple marked, so needs to shift the ball quickly to see us have men spare elsewhere.

Pepe - 6 his the ability to bamboozle defences but often ends up doing the same to himself. 3rd season in he is no more consistent than previously and now is not first choice in our 11.

Martinelli 8 , has taken a while to show the talent that we all knew he possessed and has shown in the least 2 seasons, love his attitude of non-stop harassment of opponents not giving them time to settle. Looks like he is enjoying his playing time, long may it continue.

Auba - 4 poor example of leadership, bad attitude, and poor performances - he is not going to improve and needs a move to rekindle what is left of his career.

Lacazette - 8 Lacks the goals which some expect , but his link up play and hard work, for me are pivotal in giving the youngsters the freedom to play.
I would love him to stay for another year, with maybe another 1 year option after that.

Arteta - 8 didn’t want him as manager, still have huge reservations about his lack of experience and substitutions at times and he may have been very lucky to have Saka, Smith Rowe and Martinelli here to give him a young energetic foundation but he has also got rid of Ozil, Luiz, Mustafi etc who were dragging us down and overseen a great summer recruitment, so fair play.

IF he gets 4th, it will be a great achievement and with 1 or 2 further quality additions we could cement our place back in the top 4 at the expense of our nearest and dearest and or the Mancs which will be so sweet.
All those minus numbers.... some of those players have been brilliant.

:lol: :wink: