Forest A Fa Cup 3rd round Sun 9th Jan KO 510pm Itv

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner265

Re: Forest A Fa Cup 3rd round Sun 9th Jan KO 510pm Itv

Post by gooner265 »

Players should be ashamed of themselves tonight, no fight, no passion , no desire , embarrassed.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Why the fuck we actually STARTED Patino AWAY at Forest with a team made up of the likes of Cedric and Tavares?!?! His previous appearance was 10 MINUTES when we were thrashing Sunderland at home.

How the fuck have we let AMN go now. Why not play him in the Cup and then put him on the next plane to Rome. It’s not as if they are bothered about him being cup tied in the FA fucking Cup. Fucking mind boggling decision.

This club is a fucking joke with some of it’s decision making. An absolute fucking joke.

Fuming…

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:00 pm
the playing mantis wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:56 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:39 pm
I could rant and rave for hours about how spineless and pathetic that display was but from the minute the team was announced I expected it

I don't know how quickly a novice manager learns lessons but this one truly makes me wonder. There has been one reason for the recent upturn in performances, results and goals scored - Alex Lacazette. I know a few others on here agree too. Remind me the last time we played anyone half reasonable and half physical away with Nketiah up top and it actually worked? Still trying to remember right?

Painfully obvious to anyone with half a footballing brain. Next time we start an away game without Lacazette (or a suitable replacement in the window) I will be lumping on the opposition

The only thing that surprised me was the surprise it caused! The commentators and pundits couldn't believe the lack of energy and chances created. I would say watch most of our games for the last 2 years when either Nketiah or Auba have led the line. It doesn't work, it never has, it never will, and if we do it again, expect another game like this one. Ben White carrying the ball to the halfway line, seeing no suitable target, and seconds later we are being attacked again. Exactly what happened at OT and why we lost there

Second obvious reason - lack of leadership. Dont know how many times we've said that until this group add one or two experienced leaders there will be more days like this. Limited team Forest (like Everton), but get the crowd on top of you, can't hold the ball up, and bang we will get beat by some very average teams. Watched the body language and attitude when the goal went in and might as well have switched the TV off there and then.

Just can't believe he can't see it. It really is that simple

Nothing I havent seen dozens of times in the past couple of years.

Hope Laca is rested for the Liverpool games too....I mean we've got Europe.....oh no sorry
Said it in the thread earlier this team is nothing without Laca and we desperately need cover or upgrade of that style of player, I agree with you although, we do know Laca's fitness is poor so to rest him here (when he really shouldnt have been needed as we should be able to beat a championship team), does make sense given we have scousers and scum coming up (but then start him get the job done in first half and sub him then certainly could be argued), yet the tactics were all wrong with the feather failing as ever when it counts. The system should have been changed or Martinelli put through the middle. The body language and attitude when the goal went in was no different to the rest of the shite beforehand! Today was about attitude and lack of in game management/tactics.

Smacks of Wenger - system not working all game, just carry on hoping the same thing will work despite all evidence to the contrary.
I'm afraid Martinelli down the middle wouldn't have worked any better mate. We have one player who can play that role - yet again we've been sold short in a key position

I'm serious - if Laca is out for any period of time and we don't sign a replacement, this team will end up mid table
I know we are.

Re martinelli, my point is it couldnt have been worse than the idiot who played there, in this particular game (not advocating it in the PL as i know we need a laca type for the system to work properly).
At least Martinelli would have shown movement and given the CB's something to think about. FFS im knocking 17 stone (after christmas gorging, it will come off soon!) and a snapped acl and i think i could have comfortable handled the feather out there tonight. Contrast Eddie with the bloke on loan from Villa Forest had up front, caused us all sorts of bother put himself about, no end product but had poor players around him. Had he been in our side instead of eddie we would have won as the quality around would have had space to work with and knockdowns to feed off etc

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:15 pm
Why the fuck we actually STARTED Patino AWAY at Forest with a team made up of the likes of Cedric and Tavares?!?! His previous appearance was 10 MINUTES when we were thrashing Sunderland at home.

How the fuck have we let AMN go now. Why not play him in the Cup and then put him on the next plane to Rome. It’s not as if they are bothered about him being cup tied in the FA fucking Cup. Fucking mind boggling decision.

This club is a fucking joke with some of it’s decision making. An absolute fucking joke.

Fuming…
Ive actually watched a game in full for the first time in a while as it was on terrestrial over this thread, and i can understand perhaps starting him had we had Partey or even clive out there, but not alongside Sambi who himself is inexperienced and not been in the side lately.

AMN should have played and had his move deleayed. That said surely we have an other CM in the u23's apart from patino who could have stepped in and was more physical? Chambers or white could have played there surely?

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Could have swapped Saka and Martinelli. Their right back ( 10 ) times better than Cedric matched Martinelli for pace .while Saka was getting double marked when they weren’t kicking him and a change might have just broken their pattern.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

The most frightening aspect of today is how utterly shit our squad is. Just imagine if Lacazette gets injured, we'll have Nketiah up front, a guy who makes Chamakh and Bendtner look like world beaters and the clueless *word censored* running things are desperate for him to stay :banghead:
Then we start an 18 year old in midfield and leave him out to dry. Funny how with Partey and Elneny gone for a month, the club appears to be relaxed about bringing signings in when by this time next week our season could be all but over.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Looked like Leeds - played like Leeds ! No bollocks. :barscarf: :barscarf:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Utterly disgraceful performance and we got what we deserved.Thats a loss last week then a loss today.Itll be another brownholing on thurs at the dippers and then bins will do us up the farter next sun..Our season could potentially be all over by 16th Jan.I seen the starting line up today and the the first 10 mins and thought we would toil,if Forest can do what they did to us imagine what the red dippers and vermin will do to us in their cauldron atmospheres.I think well lose both to make it 4 in a row and season over :(

augie

Post by augie »

Being honest I didnt see large parts of the game yesterday so I am more than willing to accept the opinions of those who watched it all, but was pep's cone boy right to sub tavares after 38 mins ? Some of you claim that there was at least 2 or 3 others who could have gone at the same time or before him. I seen a few of his fcuk ups at half time and no doubt there were woeful, but could a good coach wait the 7 minutes until half time and get his head right then ? Was it a case of ego from the manager who wanted to live up to his newly gained rep for being tough with players, and then pick out an easier target than say holding and nketieh whose performances have also been slated ?

Like I said at the beginning, I'm not saying legohead was wrong to sub him cos I didnt see enough of the game to make that call, but I do wonder if it was right call when we were so bad going forward that changing the left back made no difference

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:05 am
Being honest I didnt see large parts of the game yesterday so I am more than willing to accept the opinions of those who watched it all, but was pep's cone boy right to sub tavares after 38 mins ? Some of you claim that there was at least 2 or 3 others who could have gone at the same time or before him. I seen a few of his fcuk ups at half time and no doubt there were woeful, but could a good coach wait the 7 minutes until half time and get his head right then ? Was it a case of ego from the manager who wanted to live up to his newly gained rep for being tough with players, and then pick out an easier target than say holding and nketieh whose performances have also been slated ?

Like I said at the beginning, I'm not saying legohead was wrong to sub him cos I didnt see enough of the game to make that call, but I do wonder if it was right call when we were so bad going forward that changing the left back made no difference
Tavares was absolutely woeful but there could have been a case for any of half a dozen coming off. Tavares also acted like a complete c.unt from my perspective - I dunno whether half a dozen games have gone to his head but in my book he's still a kid learning his trade......I'd love to have seen him spit the dummy like that with someone like GG in charge!

The cone man lost the game the minute he decided to play Nketiah as the lone striker - everything after that with Patino, Tavares etc is almost irrelevant. You'd think after 2 years and 100+ games in charge he'd see what any of us could see any time he played Nketiah or Auba as a lone striker away from home - it doesn't work, the ball comes straight back, the midfield get overrun and we end up getting done. The pace of the game grinds to a halt, the likes of Martinelli and Saka suddenly look half the players they are as there is no outlet, and people like White have no out ball. I could probably highlight 30-40 games where it's happened......but I'm not a genius like Pep's water boy :roll: :roll:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:05 am

Tavares and Nketiah stood out as the worst of a bad bunch for me. With KT on the bench I think Arteta made a good call personally.

Starting Nketiah and Patino was poor judgement though particularly when the latter was alongside another youngster in Sambi. To be fair there wasn't a lot of options available for a better midfield duo (maybe AMN?).

The team was still good enough to win but their attitude stunk out the City Ground.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Arteta just needs to pick the best 11. We only have the two legs against Liverpool plus a potential final, and the rest of the games are league games. He just needs to pick the best 11 and challenge the others to play their way into the team. Perhaps it was also complacency and thinking this would be an easy game that played into the defeat

Some players clearly not good enough and others are pretty raw - Patino Lokonga as a duo was pretty insane, although given Party is at the ACOF, what choice did Arteta have. If our next signing isnt a ready and capable midfield player we are sabotaging ourselves. Tavares also needs to watch himself, miles behind Tierney and if PEA can be frozen out then he sure as shit can be. Id leave him out of the squad against Liverpool.

Only way to make up for this is to win the League Cup and keep get back to winning ways in the league.

We have Liverpool and Tottenham away over the next week. Get a result at Anfield to give us a good chance in the home tie, but grab hold of 4th position by beating Spurs. If we beat Spurs then 4th place becomes very very very real. I want to go their and press high up the pitch and have Saka and Martinelli running at their wing backs.

I dont think we will be that shit against Liverpool and Tottenham. Mainly because the best 11 will be playing at they will be up for it like they were against City.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

BFG4 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:15 pm
The most frightening aspect of today is how utterly shit our squad is. Just imagine if Lacazette gets injured, we'll have Nketiah up front, a guy who makes Chamakh and Bendtner look like world beaters and the clueless *word censored* running things are desperate for him to stay :banghead:
Then we start an 18 year old in midfield and leave him out to dry. Funny how with Partey and Elneny gone for a month, the club appears to be relaxed about bringing signings in when by this time next week our season could be all but over.

If Lacazette gets injured Martinelli will play through the middle. Thats where be belongs. Never been a fan of holding the ball up. I prefer the striker who wants the ball played infront of him with his face to goal, not the striker who wants it played to feet with his back to goal.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I think the most damning indictment of Arteta comes from the fact that he has failed to strengthen, and even realise we need to strengthen in the area of the pitch he used to play himself.

After 2 seasons he has failed to recognise we are woefully short when it comes to CDM and a reliable box to box player.

He has also spent too much time fucking around with strikers imagining that he really is Pep and can play half our games without a recognised striker, note I said recognised :wink:

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:52 am
I think the most damning indictment of Arteta comes from the fact that he has failed to strengthen, and even realise we need to strengthen in the area of the pitch he used to play himself.

After 2 seasons he has failed to recognise we are woefully short when it comes to CDM and a reliable box to box player.

He has also spent too much time fucking around with strikers imagining that he really is Pep and can play half our games without a recognised striker, note I said recognised :wink:
We tried for Locotelli, we failed and settled giving Xhaka a contract.

I sincerely believe Arteta knows this is our weakest area. He isnt Wenger post 2007, who used to think of the defensive side of the game as an afterthought. Most of Wengers signings were concentrated at the front end, he was obsessed with attacking midfielders.

We signed White, Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, all wonderful signings who are now first team players and have contributed greatly to our improvement. This shows me Arteta isnt like Wenger and will address what's needed. Those three cost about 80m. Wenger would invest 80m on defenders and goal keepers over 7 year period at least.

Renato Sanches, Yves Bissouma, Bruno Guimaras - sign one of them. Fuck if we would get one of them, and Danilo from Palmeires.

We have to. Champions league football is there for the taking. We more than have the quality to beat out Man United and Spurs even with no signings, but a high quality box to box/holding player will be like a shot on the arm. Man United under Rangnick and this 4-2-2-2 is toxic and they are on their knees, Spurs are better under Conte but they are not Liverpool or Chelsea - they are more than beatable

I go back to 07-08 when we were top at Christmas, but Wenger did nothing in January and fatigue kicked in, and not only did United reel us in, so did Chelsea who were miles behind us at Christmas...........arrogance from Wenger cost us.

Cmon Arteta, ive done a full 180 on you and now back you. Dont piss away this chance to kick on.