Costa Del Sol Tournament Winners 1965,1966 A Thu 12th May KO 745PM

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunner Rob

Re: Costa Del Sol Tournament Winners 1965,1966 A Thu 12th May KO 745PM

Post by Gunner Rob »

I think for me the frustration of last night is not that we lost it was the manner of the defeat.
If we were to lose (and I fully expected that we would) I wanted us to lose so that Arteta had absolutely no excuses.
The penalty and the sending off gave him those excuses.

I think we would have still lost if it had been 11 v 11. Arteta is right in that the sending off destroyed the game as a spectacle though.
You always want to see 11 v 11. It is pretty much over as a contest otherwise. I just wanted to see us go toe to toe with that lot 11 v11 for 90 minutes and if we lost 5-0 then so be it. We were denied that last night and that was a shame.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

The ref was a corrupt bastard last night but as per usual there are fans lining up to use his decisions as a justification for what was a pathetic performance from all the team. We allowed them to stroll around without even putting in a challenge, as though we were happy to accept our defeat. There are far too many comfortable players using the club as a no pressure job in which vast amounts of money can be made with little care for success or professional pride. If it wasn't those pricks we were in a battle with for top 4 then I honestly wouldn't care if we got 4th. In order to compete in the CL we need to sign 7 or 8 players and even then there would still be deadwood like Xhaka and Holding infesting the squad. It's questionable if we would even win the Conference league let alone compete in the CL.

Midz

Post by Midz »

augie wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:03 am
Redarmy wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:52 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:37 pm
Well that was great

Another test in a big game away from home....failed miserably.

Still...Where there's an official to blame lets just ignore the completely lily livered approach to these matches and lack of leaders

Well done lads - biggest NLD defeat for almost 40 years when it mattered most. Absolutely pathetic
Penalty changed the game totally

Absolute cheating, no penalty, no way ever

so quick to give it...*word censored*

First time I seen it I would have said the same, but have seen it since from a different angle and it was nailed on penalty imo

However regardless of the rights and wrongs of that decision, to blame the defeat and performance on that one decision is foolish imo - there was 22 minutes gone in the game, and a strong and gutsy team had a lot of time to get back into the game. Reality is that we dont have players with courage when under pressure, and it is that reason and not a penalty decision, that sealed our fate last night

Something to address in the summer window perhaps? Oh wait...that'd be far too logical. :roll:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Redarmy wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Well that was great

Still...Where there's an official to blame lets just ignore the completely lily livered approach to these matches and lack of leaders

Well done lads - biggest NLD defeat for almost 40 years when it mattered most. Absolutely pathetic

Absolute stonewall penalty every day of the week

I think people (rightly) get annoyed because there is inconsistency in our refereeing. I've said many times our refs are now amongst the worst in Europe. I saw far better refs at World Cups and when we were in the Europa League and it didn't surprise me when England couldn't produce a single ref for the 2018 World Cup. Unfit, inconsistent, useless, out of touch - all of that....but if people think there's some sort of overwhelming agenda against Arsenal? Nah, not for me

That same incident will happen several more times this season and next. Sometimes it will be given, sometimes not. Just very poor refereeing and it all started when *word censored* chops Mike Riley took on the role years ago

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

I like to think I can remain pretty level headed about The Arsenal nowadays, but for me there is no way that is a penalty. That little shove gets made literally anytime a forward goes up for a header.

I’m also not that fussed about finishing 4th. If we got in the champs league we’d just be dropping down to the Europa after a few matches anyway, and any player looking to join us will know that anyway!

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

NickF wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 11:54 pm
How many games has Saka played this year considering no European football and out the cup earlier?

We're guaranteed European football next year so there's a lot more games next season.

Yes and he needs a rest now , He is 20 years old and in the last 3 seasons has featured in 139 games for club and country , with a crazy world cup coming in an unhospitable country in mid season it's only going to get worse.
This kid is one of the clubs main assets , he receives "the treatment" every time he plays , think of Wilshere and Michael Owen burned out before they reached their prime by being over played . it's a risk that we really don't want to take.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:03 am
Redarmy wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Well that was great

First time I seen it I would have said the same, but have seen it since from a different angle and it was nailed on penalty imo

However regardless of the rights and wrongs of that decision, to blame the defeat and performance on that one decision is foolish imo - there was 22 minutes gone in the game, and a strong and gutsy team had a lot of time to get back into the game. Reality is that we dont have players with courage when under pressure, and it is that reason and not a penalty decision, that sealed our fate last night
incidents in the game affect the play....an early goal...a penalty against....affects the tactics and way the team is set up

as regards the penalty......if thats a penalty there will be one every game.....No penalty

Cedric was positioned wrongly...hes a bad defender...Holding panicked under the pressure....

yes agree we dont have that backbone in the side....thats down to the manager

Will never be convinced thats a penalty it was slightest of contact....vermin made a meal of it...thats what he does hes a cheat..

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

[/code]
Kingralph wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:16 am
I like to think I can remain pretty level headed about The Arsenal nowadays, but for me there is no way that is a penalty. That little shove gets made literally anytime a forward goes up for a header.

I’m also not that fussed about finishing 4th. If we got in the champs league we’d just be dropping down to the Europa after a few matches anyway, and any player looking to join us will know that anyway!
Im sorry thats a ridiculous comment , how do we ever improve then if all players thought that , no one would join us whod make us better.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Still recovering from the shit-show of yesterday. Walked into that shitehole with so much hope and it was all gone by the minute 33.

Penalty, no questions asked. That donkey Cedric played no ball and pushed Son. You know you're not getting to the ball, put an arm on Son's shoulder and let him head the ball? - already fucked up that you allowed Sessegnon and Son to sandwich you.

Xhaka could've closed off Kulusevski but all game he has been passive and not chasing down. Still in the game at 1-0.

Holding.. what the fuck are you doing. 4 fouls against before the YC came, it was justified and opportunities were given to him. Second YC was just him losing his head. Could've been a straight red, from some angles. Don't understand the need to body check him with his elbow, just run in front of him and Ramsdale would've got to the ball anyway.

We couldn't beat their press to save our lives, first 15 minutes we did good.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

There is a video doing the rounds on social media of Gabriel clearing the ball and Kane elbows him in the face, a stonewall red. We were dogshit last night but at some point this is pure corruption.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

BFG4 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 2:20 pm
There is a video doing the rounds on social media of Gabriel clearing the ball and Kane elbows him in the face, a stonewall red. We were dogshit last night but at some point this is pure corruption.
What you're seeing there is England Captain exemption rather than anti-Arsenal. Gerrard, Shearer and many others have got away with murder for years once they were the darlings of the FA

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Made the mistake of looking at bbc football Web site earlier, McNultys article about them has been dated to be even further up their arse, had to swallow hard to get the bile back down. Cunte deserves to be in the CL etc. F off.

Media is so based to these c nts its unreal.

4th place do t matter to us as we will be fooked in the CL but it's imperative those *word censored* don't get it and sadly our flakes are all that can stop them. I'm not actually that annoyed. More resignedly disappointed as I had 0 expectations we would not lose and haven't in this fixture for many years. Don't get me wrong I detest losing to these *word censored* but I think most of us knew we would we have no spine or spirit. Odergaard is captain ffs whilst one of our best players languishes in the bench to accommodate him.

Just hope we get the job done. Re saka yeah he's surely overplayed but he does seem to go missing in the biggest games.but then most of them do. But as he's our star we hope for more. Hopefully he will learn.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

BFG4 wrote:
Put a link on mate.

Kane is na right dirty cun.t - One of his more dangerous little tricks is to wait until an opponent player has jumped up to head the ball and at the very last second as he bends his legs (pretending he's going to jump) he backs into the defender who ends up going up-side don and often landing on their neck - he will seriously damage someone one day, of course it would be deemed an accident.

I forget who the scum were playing earlier in the season before Crimbo I think, and he lunged in both feet off the ground, studs up and out of control and caught the opportunity player in the knee and the ref did fuck all.

Out of all the scum players I want to see his career ended by a roy keane type knee snapper.... Oh! Boy would I laugh...

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:01 pm
BFG4 wrote:
Put a link on mate.

Kane is na right dirty cun.t - One of his more dangerous little tricks is to wait until an opponent player has jumped up to head the ball and at the very last second as he bends his legs (pretending he's going to jump) he backs into the defender who ends up going up-side don and often landing on their neck - he will seriously damage someone one day, of course it would be deemed an accident.

I forget who the scum were playing earlier in the season before Crimbo I think, and he lunged in both feet off the ground, studs up and out of control and caught the opportunity player in the knee and the ref did fuck all.

Out of all the scum players I want to see his career ended by a roy keane type knee snapper.... Oh! Boy would I laugh...
Kane on Robertson who later himself got sent off. Kane given a yellow VAR didn't look to upgrade it to what it was a blatant red.

Ref that day? Paul Tierney.

Holding no complaints tbh second yellow was stupid, ref wasn't going to do anything but send him off he had lost his head.

This season Tomiyasu v Everton Godfrey and Saka v Palace McArthur two games where we should of been playing against 10 easy straightforward red cards.

Ayling nothing was even made of the fact the ref issued a yellow initially? It wasn't a hard decision at all two footed and not even subtle.