Palarsewipes A Mon April 4th KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Palarsewipes A Mon April 4th KO 8pm

Post by SteveO 35 »

The only positive for me is that it's a step closer to being in a competition that's our level next season. This squad would get bumholed in the CL - you need 25 players and we've got 17. I'm afraid Arsenal don't sign 7 players of first team standard in one Summer, and we might need 9 or more depending on renewals

Go in the Europa or the Conference- that's our level and go from there

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:46 pm
The only positive for me is that it's a step closer to being in a competition that's our level next season. This squad would get bumholed in the CL - you need 25 players and we've got 17. I'm afraid Arsenal don't sign 7 players of first team standard in one Summer, and we might need 9 or more depending on renewals

To not qualify for the CL when we have not played any European football and got knocked out of all the cups in January is a sacking offence

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Pathetic performance by the 10 men tonight. Laca may as well not have been out there. Brentford game all over again. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Shocking performance. Just shows you that statistics don't always show a true picture of the game.
A whole heap of things weren't right with that tonight. The curse of the manager of the month struck, and the launch of a commercial only change of warm up kit again leads to bad result. Just launch this stuff at the beginning of the season and stick to it. Player's and supporters can be superstitious and if just one thing changes in the prep for a game, it can change the whole mentality of a player. Especially, the young ones. Adidas stop it. Premier League don't give Arteta manager of the month award again. Give it to Conte for April please

Wengerballs

Post by Wengerballs »

Doesn't Laca have the Club record for lowest scoring striker ever in away games?

Put it down to an unusually long interlull break for us and reset for Brighton this weekend.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

gooner265 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:39 pm
Would anyone swap Arteta for Vieira end of the season ?
I don't know to be honest. There's no guarantee that Paddy is up to a job in a high profile club like the Arsenal. He's done a good job at Palace but anyone that goes in there and doesn't get relegated is considered to have done a good job. It's not a high profile high pressure job.

One thing that does stand out though is he set his team up tonight to hit our weaknesses and they did it from the first minute. No ego, no playing to his personal belief of how the game should be played. Just pragmatic football in an effort to get the points.

I don't believe Martinez-Lite thinks like that. He is an egotistical manager.

I deffo don't think Martinez-Lite is the future for us, but I'm not sure if Paddy is either.

But then I don't think I've seen Palace under him not turn up as often as we have not turned up under Martinez-Lite. By that I don't mean get beaten, every team gets beaten, but rather just turn up and wander around the pitch with no real effort, no hunger, no desire, no fight. That's down to the manager. He sets the tone, he leads, he demands effort.

Actually tbh right now yes I'd take Paddy ahead of Martinez-Lite. Maybe not as a long term solution but deffo in the short to medium term and see what happens.

It couldn't be worse than it was tonight - and on several other occasions too.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Really disappointing performance. I’m ok with losing but the manner of the defeat was so poor.

Everything was wrong; not just the poor defending on all 3 goals but there was no personality in or out of possession and the amount of misplaced paces was atrocious.

Deservedly well beaten and the cloud of also (possibly) losing Tierney and Partey for the rest of the season + the continued absence of Tomiyasu made this a disastrous evening.

I really hate international breaks. I reckon we would have beaten palace 2 weeks ago.

Stick with the team though. They’re having a wonderful season all things considered and deserve our support.

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

TO be honest i knocked it off after the 2nd goal, once the commentary team added the lines..."and ayew..who very rarely scores"

The remote got tossed against the wall, rarely scores but skips though us while we fold like a hot mars bar.

But for the first 20 minutes it looked like a senior men's side vs a women's team such was the disparity between them.

Truly shocking how legohead didnt prep them to be ready for the pace of the game from the off.

PS, Nuno Taveres is not a footballer, he most likely wandered from the canteen at the training ground...got mistaken for a player and has been keeping the head down less his luck runs out.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

There are some strange people supporting this club, they'll over exaggerate every win and when we lose they'll dismiss it as a blip and tell you to support another club if you dare question Arteta. I've felt all season that most of our wins were grinded out against dross(Wolves aside) but when the pressure came on we would crumble. There were fans online worried that Arteta might leave for another job, I say good riddance if he does. One aspect that goes beyond the manager is the recruitment policy that for over a decade has seen us sign so many spineless players who crumble at the sight of any pressure.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:55 pm
g88ner wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:51 pm
Moving Martinelli to right wing back to accommodate Nketiah doesn’t seem right to me. Martinelli has far more quality than Eddie and can actually offer a goal threat.
Mentally ill. Agenda. ^^^^

Do not question Martinez-Lite.

:wink:
missed the game...is that for real?....did arteta really do that?

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

BFG4 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:18 am
There are some strange people supporting this club, they'll over exaggerate every win and when we lose they'll dismiss it as a blip and tell you to support another club if you dare question Arteta. I've felt all season that most of our wins were grinded out against dross(Wolves aside) but when the pressure came on we would crumble. There were fans online worried that Arteta might leave for another job, I say good riddance if he does. One aspect that goes beyond the manager is the recruitment policy that for over a decade has seen us sign so many spineless players who crumble at the sight of any pressure.
Couldn’t agree more. Yes, we have a few very talented young players up front, but the heart of the team doesn’t have a pair between them. No leadership, no fight and no engine to drive the team forward. And probably the smallest squad in the country. Total mismanagement with transfers. 5th now at best.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

All set up now for May 12th ...total self harm day......fucking Sky *word censored* will love it...

Was going to ask about Odergaard but reading through the posts seem to have found found the answers

loosing both full backs did not help...

Viera a future Arsenal manager....as soon as possible please

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Ernie71 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:06 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

To not qualify for the CL when we have not played any European football and got knocked out of all the cups in January is a sacking offence
...and top spenders in europe....always had a nagging doubt about odergaard.....

as for the replacement full backs...they are sunday league level

Xhaka a total ignorant non footballer.....should be working in a burger joint somewhere

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Redarmy wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:26 am
All set up now for May 12th ...total self harm day......fucking Sky *word censored* will love it...

Was going to ask about Odergaard but reading through the posts seem to have found found the answers

loosing both full backs did not help...

Viera a future Arsenal manager....as soon as possible please
Play last night and May 12th will be irrelevant- top 4 could be done and dusted by then

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Ernie71 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:06 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

I don't disagree. I mean imagine bottling an "easy run in" by losing to Palace and finishing 5th. I dont know if there's a precedent for such failings :D