Brighton bulbeyes H Sat 9th April KO 3pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Brighton bulbeyes H Sat 9th April KO 3pm

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:44 am
Well what a fucking catastrophic week that was and as terrible as the results were (and they were absolutely horrific) they weren’t actually the worst thing about the two games for me.

What was actually worse was the complete non performance by any player in both games. It’s like they’ve seen the finish line on the horizon and with the pressure of 4th spot on the line have all become absolutely paralysed with the fear of having to produce performances and results in order to go and achieve it.

I’ve actually seen that happen in teams I’ve been involved with (at a much much lower level obviously!) when they’re in contention towards the end of the season and even though they’d easily beat an opposition team they were playing in a one off game with nothing riding on it end up losing by becoming so weighed down by the pressure of the season that they’re complete unable to perform - especially the younger players.

As was said yesterday what’s needed in those circumstances is a few seasoned guys with the battle scars to prove it to take ownership of the situation and drag the rest over the finish line.

Unfortunately there’s no such players in this squad and pressure of the situation and lack of experience from the manager has our confidence at rock bottom with the whole team playing with the weight of the world on their shoulders.

Rodders the type of players you talk about come with a bit of an edge to them, and pep's cone boy has got rid of all of them - we have a manager at our local club who does not allow his players to talk when the motivational and tactical chat is going on pre game or at half time, and for me that mirrors what is going on at AFC under this fool. I played in an era when players used to gee each other up and held each other accountable, but those type of players had real character and those type of players are not willing to sit quietly in the corner saying nothing when things are going tits up, and pep's cone boy wants to be the sole voice in the group.

I have disagreed with some on here about the talents of guendouzi and I dont mind that, but it really pisses me off when I read/hear comments about how he had to leave the club because of his attitude/arrogance - the good/ambitious players will always have that edge to them cos that is what drives them. GG's teams were full of players with character - getting into on pitch battles were par for the course, and we had our share of off field issues too. Would GG have had a mickey fit over guendouzi's petulance when he felt maupey done leno ? Would GG have got rid of auba without bringing in another goal scorer to fill the void ? No chance. Arteta expels those players with character who might question him, and now we have a team full of choirboys with no backbone and no-one to drive them along - I can understand pep's cone boy being happy with those decisions, but the fans should know better

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I would take Guendouzi over Clive all day long.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:20 pm
Absolutely. The Dozer had his problems but he is ten times the player and a hundred times the man.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Redarmy wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:14 pm
xisstential wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:58 pm
That day at Hull, Wengers last game, we told the evening Standard, and I quote - "If the club employs a no mark like Arteta there is going to be trouble" And here we are......... How is it that we, armchair fans, can see these things, yet the press, former players, so called professional pundits cannot???

Mind you, these are the same people that think Partey and Xhaka are a formidable midfield pairing.

This might hurt but it might be a blessing in disguise.....if it rids us of Arteta, it's worth it.
what pundits and former players say may not be what they really think
Well then they are redundant, what is the point of having an opinion if that opinion is pre determined? Souness is actually the only one who alludes to what Xhaka is, without actually coming out and saying he is absolute crap.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:05 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:20 pm
Absolutely. The Dozer had his problems but he is ten times the player and a hundred times the man.

And that was the point I was making - to quote line from Braveheart ......"people dont follow titles, they follow courage and leadership", and peps cone boy has filled his ship with nice boys with no courage or leadership.
To reference another external point (the TA6 podcast that Admin Rob put up last week}, Big Tone spoke about wrighty turning up late for training on a regular basis, and the subsequent discussion he had with wenger on the issue. Wenger could have fined wrighty, could have dropped him, could have suspended him, and could even have sold him, but he decided to do none of those things and instead moved training back an hour so that www could be in on time. Compare that managership to how legohead is managing this squad - he was so obsessed with coming out as the big boss in front of everybody in world football, that he ran a guy out of town leaving laca and nketieh as the only striking options in the club. Let me say clearly that had he bought a scoring number 9 to replace auba in January I would have supported that decision, but the c.unt put his ego and arrogance ahead of what was best for the team, and now we are bearing the fruits of that stupidity.

What is equally galling for me is the way our modern Gooner fanbase seems to be so sanitised these days that they try to justify selling guendouzi cos of how he behaved against brighton, or how auba had to go because he was a trouble maker and bad influence - have these fans ever seen or heard about the trouble GG's players got into ? Have they ever heard about PV4 spitting at fat ruddock (I think) ? Have they ever seen the amount of times the great Dennis Bergkamp got into trouble or was sent off due to frustration or retaliation ? Nobody cared back then cos we knew that those players would run through walls to win trophies, and we would defend them to the hilt when anyone outside criticised them. Nowadays it seems that a lot of fans shake their heads and are disgusted with anything outside the queensbury rules, and agree that bad conduct should see these players removed from our club :roll: Congrats to those fans cos you have now been left with a nice pr squad who look great on paper, but who couldnt seal the deal if their lives depended on it

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Guendouzi aged 19 gets a player round the neck defending a team mate = bombed out

28 year old Xhaka watches Pepe get sent off at Leeds and goes and cuddles his Albanian mate at the end of the game. First name on the team sheet

Welcome to the wonderful world of carpet head

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

the playing mantis wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:45 pm
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:42 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:40 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:36 pm
Oh my god he had just subbed Martinelli.

Lacazette still on the pitch.

I am fucking stunned.

What the fuck is Arteta doing
:lol: :lol:
I can’t take it seriously anymore
Surely the fans who actually go to games these days are going to wake up soon and realise they are being conned by the club.
Most of the younger ones are all pissed up or on loads of cocaine so as long as they get to do that every couple of weeks, all's fine.
Yep same with a lot of the away support, everyone says how magnificent they are but they are high and pissed and don't actually care about the result/performance.
I know we all had a drink back in the day and some went a bit over the top but fucking hell, for the younger generation these days, going to a football match seems to be an afterthought once you've had done all the other stuff you want to do, like get boozed up and do drugs. Isn't that what Ibizia and Teneriffe used to be for?

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Our infamous week in April when all hell breaks loose. It's happened most years since the Wenger years. Even in the invincible season we had a week like this. But the signs of improvement in the second half were there. This is a game we should start won. 20 attempts on goal, hit the woodwork twice. That 5 minute VAR decision just before half time must have played on the players minds. If that was me, I would have been well pissed off and stepped my game up a level or two. Time to drop Lacazette. We need goals.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Watching the lowlights again, got to admit their second goal was probably the best goal we've conceded for a very long time.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Taking it like that ,full stretch on the half volley , 9 times out of ten , it hits the clock.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:06 pm
Watching the lowlights again, got to admit their second goal was probably the best goal we've conceded for a very long time.
A few one touch passes, with good movement - the very kind of football we used to play ourselves, still do on the odd occasion.
It’s delightful to watch and very hard to defend against - as opposed to the over playing, passing backwards and square, possession based play that we all too often start out playing and can’t seem to stop doing :banghead:

The inconsistency is mind boggling, I know young players will have that trait, but it appears to be more tactically set out form the start, which is indefensible.

If after the opening 10 mins we are slow, lethargic, Arteta should be screaming at them to up the pace - not wait till 10pm mins from time with us 0-2 down and little chance of turning it around.

Yes the VAR “goal” would have made a difference, but why is it teams with noting to play for like Palace, Brighton (Southampton ) have more urgency and will to win than us chasing a CL place ?

Is it complacency ? Do they believe after a few wins that they are so good teams will just roll over ?

It’s like the end Evra quote - men against boys when we come up against a physical, determined team.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

StuartL wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:11 pm
Nos89 wrote:
A few one touch passes, with good movement - the very kind of football we used to play ourselves, still do on the odd occasion.
It’s delightful to watch and very hard to defend against - as opposed to the over playing, passing backwards and square, possession based play that we all too often start out playing and can’t seem to stop doing :banghead:

The inconsistency is mind boggling, I know young players will have that trait, but it appears to be more tactically set out form the start, which is indefensible.

If after the opening 10 mins we are slow, lethargic, Arteta should be screaming at them to up the pace - not wait till 10pm mins from time with us 0-2 down and little chance of turning it around.

Yes the VAR “goal” would have made a difference, but why is it teams with noting to play for like Palace, Brighton (Southampton ) have more urgency and will to win than us chasing a CL place ?

Is it complacency ? Do they believe after a few wins that they are so good teams will just roll over ?

It’s like the end Evra quote - men against boys when we come up against a physical, determined team.
My underlying reason for that post was that it was the opposition created rather than one of making a defensive mistake allowing the opposition to score

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:21 pm
StuartL wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:11 pm
Nos89 wrote:

My underlying reason for that post was that it was the opposition created rather than one of making a defensive mistake allowing the opposition to score
It's a fair point. And tbh I've never had a problem with us being beaten by the better team if we have given everything. Similarly if a team scores a great goal you just have to hold your hands up and say "that was a great goal". No shame in it. But what does and always has pissed me off is the goals we concede and the games we lose through lack of effort and stupid mistakes - and under Martinez-Lite there are too many of those.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:37 pm
Guendouzi aged 19 gets a player round the neck defending a team mate = bombed out

28 year old Xhaka watches Pepe get sent off at Leeds and goes and cuddles his Albanian mate at the end of the game. First name on the team sheet

Welcome to the wonderful world of carpet head

:coffeespit: :high5:

Arteta = Axminster :D