How sh!te is Pepe?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
arrgee

How sh!te is Pepe?

Post by arrgee »

I did check for a previous thread dedicated to Pepe but there isn’t one.

He cost £72m yet on Sunday when faced with running and rolling a ball into an open goal….

… he didn’t.

Even Captain Black didn’t get it…

https://www.football365.com/news/arteta ... sion-leeds

“When you see that he’s got an empty net in front of him and he’s taking a touch backwards, we cannot really understand.”

Must be the worst buy by any club, ever.

Kingralph

Re: How sh!te is Pepe?

Post by Kingralph »

Very.
But we’ve known that for years so why bring it up now?
Hopefully some chumps will cough up £20m in the summer and we can offload the useless krunt and only take a £50m hit on him.

Midz

Post by Midz »

he IS and always has been fucking shite.

If we can get rid of him in the summer it'd be great.

He currently robs us of £7,2m a year and signed a 5 year contract in 2021. So we'll be saving a small fortune by getting shot of him.

He's scored a couple of good goals for us but that's not enough to warrant his price tag or his colossal salary. He's a useless c.unt and needs to go asap!

KingHenry

Post by KingHenry »

I used to call him Gervinho Lite he isnt even that good. The only way to to get rid is to loan him out because no fucker is going to buy him.Emery wanted Zaha

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

KingHenry wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:58 pm
I used to call him Gervinho Lite he isnt even that good. The only way to to get rid is to loan him out because no fucker is going to buy him.Emery wanted Zaha
Agreed he is shite but it's funny how emery doesn't get blamed for shite signings but arteta gets blamed for every incoming and outgoing player, that he left us shirt of a striker etc etc etc.

People can't have it both ways, either it's the manager or Edu and the board making these decisions, I for one believe its the latter.

BTW I also believe that Arteta should never have been given the job at a massive club like The Arsenal.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

It's a weird one with Pepe. There is a player hidden away in there somewhere and you see it come out on occasion. At the back end of last year when we had the glorious run of wins to finish 8th :roll: he was one of our best players.

He rescued 3 vital points when he came on against Wolves too.....but he's a 1 in every 10 player. That 1 game is usually pretty spectacular but in between that he looks like a Glenn Helder one trick pony and is so one footed it's painful

He was never wanted here to start with - Zaha was always first choice - but as much as everyone bangs on about the 72m, that was the maximum price paid over several years.

He was absolute gash when he came on yesterday though and looked like he couldn't give a fuck. It's clear to anyone watching that he won't be here next season

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

He does show the very (VERY) occasional bit of skill and can take a decent free-kick, But he just always has that "Surprised" look on his face as if he's either on Tramadol-Special or he's just got up off the floor after being Tasered. :?

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:44 pm
It's a weird one with Pepe. There is a player hidden away in there somewhere and you see it come out on occasion. At the back end of last year when we had the glorious run of wins to finish 8th :roll: he was one of our best players.

He rescued 3 vital points when he came on against Wolves too.....but he's a 1 in every 10 player. That 1 game is usually pretty spectacular but in between that he looks like a Glenn Helder one trick pony and is so one footed it's painful

He was never wanted here to start with - Zaha was always first choice - but as much as everyone bangs on about the 72m, that was the maximum price paid over several years.

He was absolute gash when he came on yesterday though and looked like he couldn't give a fuck. It's clear to anyone watching that he won't be here next season
Funnily enough, Glenn Helder was one of my favourite players :oops: :lol: - I liked Eddie McGoldrick too.

Maybe that explains my soft spot for shite wingers? :rubchin:

I like your summary SteveO. There’s definitely a very good player in there somewhere but neither Emery or Arteta have managed to harness it with any regularity.

Real shame as it’s a crazy amount of money to spend. I think we’d like to sell but would the club be willing to take a £50-60m hit? That’s embarrassing.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

g88ner wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:53 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

Funnily enough, Glenn Helder was one of my favourite players :oops: :lol: - I liked Eddie McGoldrick too.

I like your summary SteveO. There’s definitely a very good player in there somewhere but neither Emery or Arteta have managed to harness it with any regularity.

Real shame as it’s a crazy amount of money to spend. I think we’d like to sell but would the club be willing to take a £50-60m hit? That’s embarrassing.
I wonder how much of that 72m has actually been spent mate. I remember it being reported at the time that it was over a prolonged period and had all sorts of clauses attached to it. I think if you've paid it over so many years it's largely forgotten and won't quite feel like a 50m hit. His wages must be big too.

I remember Helder's home debut - we thought we'd signed a genius and in fairness he looked tricky as fuck. I think there was paper talk about Arsenal's H bombs - Helder and Hartson.....how times change, although to be fair I really liked both of them too!

McGoldrick was one of those late GG year signings like Jensen and Lydersen where you just thought why? I do remember him scoring a belter in Liege when we won 7-0 but struggling beyond that !

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Pepe to score the winner Thursday night,you heard it here 1st 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I would happily take that all day long, and then give him a wage rise.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Glenn Helder was one of my favourite players :oops: :lol: - I liked Eddie McGoldrick too.

What avbout Jimmy Carter ?

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:12 pm
KingHenry wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:58 pm
Agreed he is shite but it's funny how emery doesn't get blamed for shite signings but arteta gets blamed for every incoming and outgoing player, that he left us shirt of a striker etc etc etc.

People can't have it both ways, either it's the manager or Edu and the board making these decisions, I for one believe its the latter.

BTW I also believe that Arteta should never have been given the job at a massive club like The Arsenal.
Emery didnt sign him. Emery told the board he wanted Zaha.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

While Glenn Helder ultimately turned out to be the Pepe of his day, it should never be forgotten that he supplied the assist for Bergkamp's first Arsenal goal. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:18 am
g88ner wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:53 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

I wonder how much of that 72m has actually been spent mate. I remember it being reported at the time that it was over a prolonged period and had all sorts of clauses attached to it. I think if you've paid it over so many years it's largely forgotten and won't quite feel like a 50m hit. His wages must be big too.

I remember Helder's home debut - we thought we'd signed a genius and in fairness he looked tricky as fuck. I think there was paper talk about Arsenal's H bombs - Helder and Hartson.....how times change, although to be fair I really liked both of them too!

McGoldrick was one of those late GG year signings like Jensen and Lydersen where you just thought why? I do remember him scoring a belter in Liege when we won 7-0 but struggling beyond that !

That's IT!!!!

Pepe was told that his fee was £72 million, and that Arsenal would be paying in instalments and so he shouldn't start playing to his full ability till the full amount had been received / paid!

So should we sell him - talking a huge losss of course, it will mean his previous club (Lille) get their money and so he starts playing brilliantly making it look like it was Arteta's man management & coaching skills that were to blame! ... Oh! Dear g88ner is going to have a field day with that! :D