ALL OR NOTHING: Arsenal on Amazon Starts August Thursday 4th 2022

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: ALL OR NOTHING: Arsenal on Amazon Starts August Thursday 4th 2022

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:43 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:21 am
I wasn't looking forward to watching all or nothing. Especially the last few episodes with the Spud/Newcastle defeats.

But the way we have started this season, has taken the pain away slightly from watching a rerun of those two weeks again.

Personally after being on the fence about Arteta sometimes thinking yeah he's doing ok, to thinking let's get PV4 in he's totally won me over. Our dressing room when he joined was poisonous and he's now flushed all that toxicity out of the club. Even at the back end of last season, you could see Laca wasn't engaged with his coaching session.

Looking across social media it seems as though Arteta has won over large swathes of the fan base, he gets Arsenal and understands the values that our history was built on. If you don't follow his lead, you are out it doesn't matter who you are. And that's how it should be.

The team is in the best position in years to be competitive, the problem is we now have more other strong teams than ever in the PL. I thought we would be a laughing stock after this series. Seems like we came out of it quite well.

With the greatest of respect pal, that is a crock of shit - I frequently hear comments along those lines (not just regarding arteta) where they talk about understanding AFC's traditions and stuff like that, but what they are talking about is AFC's traditions under wenger ONLY. Lets be real clear about one thing, AFC's history is not built on silky football, but so many "fans" nowadays talk as though anything other than total football is an insult to our history and traditions. AFC was built on "nobody likes us and we dont care" mentality - incidents like guendouzi at brighton were rampant in our history and we as a club and fanbase thrived on it, but nowadays we are embarrassed by it. I get (but dont like) that football has changed and moved on, and maybe I do need to change my mentality to adapt to a more pr conscious time, but this club is 136 years old and "our traditions" go back a lot further than wenger and sky tv

Btw I would argue that there is NOT more strong teams than ever before - our 98 team and invinceable teams would piss this league but we didnt get 100 pints back then, but that is the aim now for teams hoping to win the league. The weaker teams nowadays are so much weaker than the weaker teams in previous era's and it is a given that the best teams will beat them 99% of the time - what has happened though is that while the gap between the top 2 and the rest is stretching, the gap amongst the others sides is shrinking so teams in that bracket like us are finding it harder
Have to agree. This modern myth of "the Arsenal way" is horseshit and anyone that followed us in the 70s and 80s like I have done will know that. Older supporters would say the same based on our teams and style of play in previous decades too I'm sure.

Wenger for all the good he did (two Doubles, the Invincibles, the FA Cup record) also attracted the type of modern "soccer" fan that is a complete wánker.

The real "Arsenal way" has always been a lot closer to the likes of Millwall than the likes of the 1970s mousers or Ajax. What these people really mean is the "Wenger way".

Also the PL is the worst its ever been as a competitive league. There is now a very clearly delineated gap between the only two teams that can win it and the 4 or 5 that can scrap for 3rd to 6th place and another huge gap to the rest.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:49 am
augie wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
I wasn't looking forward to watching all or nothing. Especially the last few episodes with the Spud/Newcastle defeats.

But the way we have started this season, has taken the pain away slightly from watching a rerun of those two weeks again.

Personally after being on the fence about Arteta sometimes thinking yeah he's doing ok, to thinking let's get PV4 in he's totally won me over. Our dressing room when he joined was poisonous and he's now flushed all that toxicity out of the club. Even at the back end of last season, you could see Laca wasn't engaged with his coaching session.

Looking across social media it seems as though Arteta has won over large swathes of the fan base, he gets Arsenal and understands the values that our history was built on. If you don't follow his lead, you are out it doesn't matter who you are. And that's how it should be.

The team is in the best position in years to be competitive, the problem is we now have more other strong teams than ever in the PL. I thought we would be a laughing stock after this series. Seems like we came out of it quite well.

With the greatest of respect pal, that is a crock of shit - I frequently hear comments along those lines (not just regarding arteta) where they talk about understanding AFC's traditions and stuff like that, but what they are talking about is AFC's traditions under wenger ONLY. Lets be real clear about one thing, AFC's history is not built on silky football, but so many "fans" nowadays talk as though anything other than total football is an insult to our history and traditions. AFC was built on "nobody likes us and we dont care" mentality - incidents like guendouzi at brighton were rampant in our history and we as a club and fanbase thrived on it, but nowadays we are embarrassed by it. I get (but dont like) that football has changed and moved on, and maybe I do need to change my mentality to adapt to a more pr conscious time, but this club is 136 years old and "our traditions" go back a lot further than wenger and sky tv

Btw I would argue that there is NOT more strong teams than ever before - our 98 team and invinceable teams would piss this league but we didnt get 100 pints back then, but that is the aim now for teams hoping to win the league. The weaker teams nowadays are so much weaker than the weaker teams in previous era's and it is a given that the best teams will beat them 99% of the time - what has happened though is that while the gap between the top 2 and the rest is stretching, the gap amongst the others sides is shrinking so teams in that bracket like us are finding it harder
Augie, I can't even read your posts anymore let alone reply to them, if you are that unhappy with Arsenal maybe it's about time you looked at another sport/team? It has after all been a shower of shit for many years, no?
Nutty you were on here the other day decrying how "toxic" you think the forum has become and then you post something like this? Not having a dig mate but do you not think that is toxic? To dismiss someone's opinion because its different to yours? You are well capable of putting across a good coherent argument.

Also a bit disrespectful too. Augie is many things :wink: but one thing he isn't is a fair weather fan. Just because someone is critical of the club does not mean they hate the club or are some kind of disloyal traitor.

Some people are just more naturally optimistic about the club than others.

Personally I liked Martinez-Lite as a player. As a manager he seems a genuinely ambitious hungry manager. My problem with him is his ability. He has made so many mistakes in so many games and the Amazon series has shown him to me as being terrible at motivating the team. That doesn't mean I want him to fail or that I hate him. I just don't rate him as capable at this point in his career.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:58 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:49 am
augie wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Augie, I can't even read your posts anymore let alone reply to them, if you are that unhappy with Arsenal maybe it's about time you looked at another sport/team? It has after all been a shower of shit for many years, no?
Nutty you were on here the other day decrying how "toxic" you think the forum has become and then you post something like this? Not having a dig mate but do you not think that is toxic? To dismiss someone's opinion because its different to yours? You are well capable of putting across a good coherent argument.

Also a bit disrespectful too. Augie is many things :wink: but one thing he isn't is a fair weather fan. Just because someone is critical of the club does not mean they hate the club or are some kind of disloyal traitor.

Some people are just more naturally optimistic about the club than others.

Personally I liked Martinez-Lite as a player. As a manager he seems a genuinely ambitious hungry manager. My problem with him is his ability. He has made so many mistakes in so many games and the Amazon series has shown him to me as being terrible at motivating the team. That doesn't mean I want him to fail or that I hate him. I just don't rate him as capable at this point in his career.

I liked him as a player too - my objections to him as a manager have always been based on ability and a lack of experience, but I will say that I do feel that he has an agenda against a few players and I really, really dislike that about him

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

The argument that the history of the Arsenal was not built on attractive free flowing football is flawed and is borne out of some old timers preference of the GG era. The titles under Chapman were won playing attractive football with the W-M formation popularized by Chapman. Also the Arsenal sides during the initial years of Wenger till the invincibles were not just great attacking sides but had players who were hard as nails and could match up to the nastiest of opponents.

And to compare the p*ssy Guendoozi"s antics against Brighton with our players of old is an insult. Hardman Doozi was bragging about how much he earns compared to the Brighton players :roll: :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Gunnerz4life wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:07 pm
The argument that the history of the Arsenal was not built on attractive free flowing football is flawed and is borne out of some old timers preference of the GG era. The titles under Chapman were won playing attractive football with the W-M formation popularized by Chapman. Also the Arsenal sides during the initial years of Wenger till the invincibles were not just great attacking sides but had players who were hard as nails and could match up to the nastiest of opponents.

And to compare the p*ssy Guendoozi"s antics against Brighton with our players of old is an insult. Hardman Doozi was bragging about how much he earns compared to the Brighton players :roll: :lol:

Check your history - we were known as boring long before GG became manager

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

augie wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:51 pm
Gunnerz4life wrote:

I don't need to. While you may have preference over the football played in a particular era, it does not solely define our identity and it is a bit narcissistic to say that it does.

augie

Post by augie »

Gunnerz4life wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:13 pm
augie wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:51 pm
Gunnerz4life wrote:

I don't need to. While you may have preference over the football played in a particular era, it does not solely define our identity and it is a bit narcissistic to say that it does.

Who the fcuk is talking about preference ?? We would all prefer to see lovely flowing football if successful, but we are talking about identity and tradition, and as I pointed out traditions are built over a long period of time and not a specific golden era no matter how much some fans would like to pretend otherwise

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunnerz4life wrote:

We played comparatively "attractive" football in the 30s given that the game was quite technically poor at the time. But in the 40s, 50s, 60s, and particularly the 70s and 80s we were generally boring and efficient but certainly not attractive. There were exceptions like ironically GG's 1991 title winning team that have never received the credit they were due for playing fast attractive technical football and a couple of our 1970s sides played attractive stuff at times.

But in general we were not an attractive footballing side until the first ten years of Wenger's reign. Of course Wenger fucked that up in the second ten years by insisting on getting rid of the powerful strong players and using too many weak lightweight technical players.

Also, hate to rain on your parade here, but many football historians now don't believe it was Chapman and Buchan that invented the WM formation and that it was in common use at that time and that Arsenal just had more success with the formation and thus it became associated with us.

Believing everything has always been rosey at Arsenal does not make you a better or more loyal fan. Take the blinkers off.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Any chance ye can make the quote towers longer cos we don't have enough of them

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:52 pm
Any chance ye can make the quote towers longer cos we don't have enough of them
:lol:

Oh, we can. And we will. :barscarf:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Ah good,anything that makes it makes harder to read posts on here should be welcomed :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:59 pm
Ah good,anything that makes it makes harder to read posts on here should be welcomed :barscarf:
The tranny from Singapore that's pretending to be the reincarnation of g88ner even figured out you just change from portrait to landscape view Mac.... or was it the original g88ner that figured that our? Or rodders? I don't know, it was one of those trannys anyway! :lol: :wink:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Is it not landscape to portrait :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:11 pm
Is it not landscape to portrait :lol:
No. Deffo change it from portrait to landscape. Portrait is long and thin on your phone or device while landscape converts that to short and wide (a bit like augie or OneBard :wink: ). :lol:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

I'm on portrait now and it's definitely wider and shorter, if I turn off portrait it becomes longer and thinner ,maybe I'm in Australia and everything is upside down 8)