My old man

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
TomHelo14

My old man

Post by TomHelo14 »

Morning gooners, hope you are all good.

This is my first post on the Gooner after watching my old man on it for years. Some of you may possibly know him as ‘Eboue-Why?’ As I said, this is my first post so I’m sorry if it’s not in the right thread but thought this might be the best area for a post like this.

My Dad was a life long gooner, followed us all over the world, through thick and thin and was an absolute hero of a man. We have been season ticket holders since I was 8 years old and the Arsenal has run through our family for decades.

My amazing Dad passed away last year and it has torn us all apart but we are doing our best to start to heal bit more day by day.

The reason I wanted to sign up to the Gooner and speak to the gooners that my old man loved chatting to was because he met a lot of good people on here over the years and it was a big part of his life.

I live up in Liverpool with my Mrs and have been here since I finished uni so I travel all over the North and midlands watching us on the road and all of that was down to my old man meeting good people on here who were able to provide away tickets so thankyou to everyone who was helped me see my beloved Arsenal over the years.

I was wondering if I would be able to get in contact with anyone who knew my Dad and we could speak about still getting to go watch us on the road for the upcoming season. I don’t want to ever stop watching us away as it was always something that me and my old man did together so never want that to stop. It was always a special day when we met up at the station after not seeing eachother for months and spending the day with few pints and watching us inevitably get beat 2-0 at the Britannia haha. They were the best days of my life.

If anyone did know my old man ‘Eboue-Why?’, please could you get in touch as I would love to speak to you and obviously thank you for the years and possibly speak about future oppurtunities to still watch us away.

Thanks a lot everyone for being a big part of my old mans life and it’s good to be on here!

Up the Arsenal

mcdowell42

Re: My old man

Post by mcdowell42 »

Very sorry to hear that, condolences to you and your family

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Sorry for your loss chap ,
I'm in my middle 70's so one day my son will have a similar post. I did not know him personally but I am sure that someone might.
Keep your pecker up ( as they say ) and have a few more posts .

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

I'm really sorry to hear about this, mate and I'm sure all of us on here send you and your family all our love and best wishes. I remember your dad being on here and he was a long-term member from what I can recall. He was around during the golden-age of the forum and DB can tell you a lot more about how sensible, mature and focused we all were back then!
I remember he always seemed to pop-up on the match threads, moaning at the same stuff we all did and getting excited when we were doing well. He always came across as proper old skool Arsenal, knowing what the club was about and what the game should be like.
I hope you and your family can remember all the good stuff and it's great to have you on here. Stick around and join in. You're more than welcome.

augie

Post by augie »

A bit late I know, but sincere condolences to you and all your family on your dad's passing.

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

RIP
my condolences to you and your family

TomHelo14

Post by TomHelo14 »

Thankyou very much for all the support everyone 👍

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Sorry to hear of your loss Tom, I recall when Eboue first signed and then was playing for us and that your Dad chose such a name, because we were all asking Eboue! Why? ( as in WTF! you doing signing him Wenger!?).

Welcome to the House of "fun" :rubchin: :wink:

RIP.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Hi Tom and welcome to the forum,

Just a shame that it was those circumstances that brought you here. Sorry for your loss.

I never met your Dad, but certainly remember his poster name :lol:

Incidentally, there is a way to look back on his old posts, if you fancy a day of reminiscing by searching his name in the members section and selecting all posts…….

I don’t attend matches anymore but I would hope one or two have assisted your dad in the past would look out for you so you can continue - best put requests on the ticket thread…but you need a certain amount of posts to qualify I think.

Stick around, join in the mayhem, always good to have new blood aboard. :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Ah shit man. This is sad sad news. We've lost a few of our members over the last few years. It always comes as a shock.

I'm sorry to hear this Tom. Your dad was a much liked member here, a true Gooner with a great sense of humour. He knew the game and posted some really good stuff over the years - and like the rest of us, some absolute nonsense! :D :wink:

As Stu says, you can access your dad's posts on here and it might be good for you to see his interactions and insights. Probably be bitter sweet true but sometimes that can help the healing process.

Please accept my sincere condolences.

TomHelo14

Post by TomHelo14 »

The words are very much appreciated gents

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Only just seen this.

Condolences to you and your family Tom. Having that strong link through your mutual love of the Arsenal will be a portal, amongst many I'm sure, for you to look back warmly on your relationship with your dad. Great memories.

Welcome aboard, I'm sure you'll be a credit to the old man.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Your dad’s avatar was all that kept me coming on here for about 5 years :wink:

Sorry for your loss, welcome aboard, up the ARSE :barscarf: