RIP Terry Neil

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

RIP Terry Neil

Post by nut flush gooner »

Sad news, he has passed today at the age of 80. Used to go to his sports bar in the 90s, and had quite a few Arsenal-related chats with him. He would talk to anyone, no heirs and graces and once he found out you where a Gooner, you were always welcome at his Pub.

TeeCee

Re: RIP Terry Neil

Post by TeeCee »

Yeah I went there too a few times, although I started going to Highbury in 71, it's the Terry Neill years that I was old enough to remember well.
RIP Terry

John F

Post by John F »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:39 pm
Sad news, he has passed today at the age of 80. Used to go to his sports bar in the 90s, and had quite a few Arsenal-related chats with him. He would talk to anyone, no heirs and graces and once he found out you where a Gooner, you were always welcome at his Pub.
That is sad news,I have great memories of when I first started going to Highbury in the 77/78 season with TN in charge. He appeared to be a decent chap as a manager and on the radio when he used to co-commentate on london radio Capital Gold I think.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Yes it is sad...RIP Terry

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

RIP Terry

Was the first Arsenal manager I remember

3 cup finals in a row, just a shame we lost the two easier ones :banghead:

Oversaw the historic 1-0 win away at Turin v Juventus to see us get to the Cup Winners Cup final in 1980.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Really say news. Condolences to Terry Neill's family. He was manager when I began supporting the club. He came close to having an unheralded and oversaw a 70 match season in 1979/80...what could've been. Arsenal man through and through. Because of the shortfall that year it's overlooked that he took us to 4 cup finals in 3 seasons and nurtured 3 world class players through the academy. RIP

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Sad news. A great Arsenal man, even though he managed the other lot at one point. That FA Cup win against the manc filth in 79 was my first Arsenal trophy as a kid and it came at the right time to make me an Arsenal nut for life.

RIP.

John F

Post by John F »

StuartL wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:15 pm
RIP Terry

Oversaw the historic 1-0 win away at Turin v Juventus to see us get to the Cup Winners Cup final in 1980.
The first Wembley final I attended was 78 after collecting my programme tokens to get a ticket I was devastated when we lost. At the time it was viewed as a shock result but that Ipswich Team turned into a very good Team, 3 finals in a row in a time when the FA cup was taken seriously was a great achievement. A cup game then would put 10,000 on the gate now it takes 10,000 off.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

A top fella, down to earth, no superstar ego, we used to go down to his Holborn Sports bar with the Norway Gooners & often had lock in sessions. Terry was a proper Arsenal man & would talk football with everyone.

RIP Terry Neill & condolences to his family & close friends.

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

RIP
great Arsenal man

NickF98

Post by NickF98 »

Terry Neil was the first manager I remember as I was only a kid at the time. Still fondly remember the 79 final.

RIP

shu

Post by shu »

When Arsenal played Norwich away up here the players would stay overnight , as a young kid i went up to get autographs on the Friday night. Didnt see Liam Brady so my Dad took me sat lunchtime , Terry Neil said have you got them all and i said no , he took me to Liam's room where him and Rixy were watching Footy Focus and i got their autographs. What a top bloke RIP Terry Neil !

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

gazzatt2 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:17 am
RIP
great Arsenal man
^^^Nuff Sed^^^

R.I.P

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

John F wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:39 pm
StuartL wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:15 pm
RIP Terry

The first Wembley final I attended was 78 after collecting my programme tokens to get a ticket I was devastated when we lost. At the time it was viewed as a shock result but that Ipswich Team turned into a very good Team, 3 finals in a row in a time when the FA cup was taken seriously was a great achievement. A cup game then would put 10,000 on the gate now it takes 10,000 off.
As you say, that Ipswich team was in my opinion the best team never to win the title - they did win the EUFA cup a couple of years after, with most of the cup final team.
Mariner, Wark, Butcher, Mills, Brazil (before he morphed into the Graf zeppelin ) the two Dutchmen in Muhren and Thijssen with Cooper in goal, who wasn’t a big keeper but had a superb penalty record.

They were pipped to the title in 1981 by Villa and then got broken up / sold off and basically went to shit ever since

Some would call that somewhat poetic justice, same as Wrexham getting relegated, or York, Birmingham, Swindon, I still hold an unnatural grudge against them all :evil: