Palace Pantpirates and their bunch of Vulva ultras A Fri 5th Aug KO 8PM

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Palace Pantpirates and their bunch of Vulva ultras A Fri 5th Aug KO 8PM

Post by SteveO 35 »

beck wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:09 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:57 am
Well, that was a much nicer start to the season than last year

For 30 minutes I thought we were outstanding and didn't give the windowlicking ultras anything to get excited about. If there was a criticism it would only be in not being clinical enough - game should have been put to bed inside that opening half an hour.

As for Saliba - the Arteta fanboys are all over social claiming its the genius decisions of the past 2 years to loan him out that led to this performance, whilst most of us of sane mind know that if he'd started last season instead of Mari (3 defeats from 3) or finished at Spurs and Newcastle instead of the tattooed pansy or Holding, we'd probably be in the CL now. Leagues ahead of any centre half we have - and yes that includes Gabriel too. Hope El Brittas realises how much his stupid "oooh but I didn't sign him" stance looks now.....especially if the fella winds down his contract

Anyway, a brilliant 30 minutes followed by a decently, solid 60 minutes......made all the better by watching Man U under their new messiah yesterday :D :D :D
Mari has never had 3 defeats in a row for us
He was on the bench at man city
Still ahead of Saliba in Carpet Head's pecking order this time last year though eh? You know the point I'm making - the one that says Saliba would have improved the situation no end last season. A season where we missed out by 1 point ultimately and ended up with a defence that ended the season in pieces

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Gunnerz4life wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:17 am
Positives

1. The start was electric and we really should have been 2 up inside 20 mins. This has to be the template for the rest of the season, we need to start with a bang and kill games off in the first half itself.

2. Jesus looks a different class as compared to what we have had for the last couple of years. Always on the move and his work rate and ability to harass defenders and nick balls off them even when he seems second best is absolutely top notch and to add to that the skill to get past players in a tight area and get a shot in. He did drop off in the second half but that more down to his teammates not finding him consistently.

3. William F*cking Saliba, boy this kid is something. I dont recall the last time I felt so calm and assured watching an Arsenal CB. He already looks like our best defender.

4. Thought White struggled at times but had a good game overall and handled Zaha reasonably well. I know people here don't rate Zaha but he is a nightmare to deal with specially 1v1.

5. Zinchenko was excellent on the ball and really fits the role of an inverted LB. I agree that he can be got at 1v1 by a tricky wide player and has a weakness there but you minimize that risk by staying compact when you lose the ball and not allowing wide players have a free run at him. The way we want to play that is to dominate possesion Zinchenko's qualities outshines his weaknesses. I don't think there is much between KT and Zinchenko, KT is probably the better defender while Zinchenko is better on the ball.

Negatives

1. We allowed Palace back in the game after the first 20 mins and it was all down to sloppiness from Ramsdale and Gabriel. There is a callousness about Ramsdale at times and he really needs to cut it out of his game. He did redeem himself with the saves though and I thought his overall distribution was good.

2. We had very little control of the game in the second half and a major reason for that was Odegaard being absolutely gash. I love Odegaard but he really needs to start getting hold of games and dictate the tempo consistently and be more decisive inside the box, he should have scored with the chance Jesus created.

3. ESR and Vieira being back will definitely improve our bench but we still look short of quality. We absolutely need a couple of more signings at the bare minimum.

This isn't gonna happen. I've said loads of times on here that Odegaard is a neat, tidy, technically good player, but disappears when the going gets tough. He rarely shows against the top sides and Friday night was the perfect example of what you get from him....first half when we were bossing it and he has time on the ball, he looks very good. Second half when they took the initiative, put us on the back foot and it becomes a battle, then he's nowhere to be seen.

Sorry to bang the same old drum, but it's another reason why I'd take ESR over him every time.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Sorry to bang the same old drum, but it's another reason why I'd take ESR over him every time.

I worry about ESR , technically he is better than Odegaard , Goalwise he outshines him too, and his runs late into the box cause more trouble . Odegaard is a good safety first midfielder , an upgrade on Elneny very much in the Arteta mould . Which is why he likes him so much.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:16 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

For 30 minutes I thought we were outstanding and didn't give the windowlicking ultras anything to get excited about. If there was a criticism it would only be in not being clinical enough - game should have been put to bed inside that opening half an hour.

As for Saliba - the Arteta fanboys are all over social claiming its the genius decisions of the past 2 years to loan him out that led to this performance, whilst most of us of sane mind know that if he'd started last season instead of Mari (3 defeats from 3) or finished at Spurs and Newcastle instead of the tattooed pansy or Holding, we'd probably be in the CL now. Leagues ahead of any centre half we have - and yes that includes Gabriel too. Hope El Brittas realises how much his stupid "oooh but I didn't sign him" stance looks now.....especially if the fella winds down his contract

Anyway, a brilliant 30 minutes followed by a decently, solid 60 minutes......made all the better by watching Man U under their new messiah yesterday :D :D :D

Wasting your time on that buddy - the level of stupidity on here is reaching new levels with the praising and support of lego head for sending saliba away last season, and there is zero help for gobshites like them :roll: :oops: :oops:
That's a bit unnecessary augie. People are entitled to their opinions, buddy.

I'd hope we can all debate the pros and cons of Martinez-Lite (for me it's still mostly cons) without the forum degenerating into the horrible shitstorm it did during the last few years of Wenger's reign. The intolerance and constant abuse from both sides back then drove away some of the best members we had on here. I'd hate to see it happen again.

You're an intelligent bloke and I personally agree with most of what you post but just take the tone down a bit please. :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:34 pm
Gunnerz4life wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:17 am
Positives

1. The start was electric and we really should have been 2 up inside 20 mins. This has to be the template for the rest of the season, we need to start with a bang and kill games off in the first half itself.

2. Jesus looks a different class as compared to what we have had for the last couple of years. Always on the move and his work rate and ability to harass defenders and nick balls off them even when he seems second best is absolutely top notch and to add to that the skill to get past players in a tight area and get a shot in. He did drop off in the second half but that more down to his teammates not finding him consistently.

3. William F*cking Saliba, boy this kid is something. I dont recall the last time I felt so calm and assured watching an Arsenal CB. He already looks like our best defender.

4. Thought White struggled at times but had a good game overall and handled Zaha reasonably well. I know people here don't rate Zaha but he is a nightmare to deal with specially 1v1.

5. Zinchenko was excellent on the ball and really fits the role of an inverted LB. I agree that he can be got at 1v1 by a tricky wide player and has a weakness there but you minimize that risk by staying compact when you lose the ball and not allowing wide players have a free run at him. The way we want to play that is to dominate possesion Zinchenko's qualities outshines his weaknesses. I don't think there is much between KT and Zinchenko, KT is probably the better defender while Zinchenko is better on the ball.

Negatives

1. We allowed Palace back in the game after the first 20 mins and it was all down to sloppiness from Ramsdale and Gabriel. There is a callousness about Ramsdale at times and he really needs to cut it out of his game. He did redeem himself with the saves though and I thought his overall distribution was good.

2. We had very little control of the game in the second half and a major reason for that was Odegaard being absolutely gash. I love Odegaard but he really needs to start getting hold of games and dictate the tempo consistently and be more decisive inside the box, he should have scored with the chance Jesus created.

3. ESR and Vieira being back will definitely improve our bench but we still look short of quality. We absolutely need a couple of more signings at the bare minimum.

This isn't gonna happen. I've said loads of times on here that Odegaard is a neat, tidy, technically good player, but disappears when the going gets tough. He rarely shows against the top sides and Friday night was the perfect example of what you get from him....first half when we were bossing it and he has time on the ball, he looks very good. Second half when they took the initiative, put us on the back foot and it becomes a battle, then he's nowhere to be seen.

Agreed 100%. Ohdeargod is a superb technical player more suited to the slower less physical Spanish or Italian leagues I think. He completely disappears once a game gets physical or when we are pressed.

When given time he has some great passes, touches, and vision, but you need more than that in that position in the PL.

I too prefer Smith-Rowe but tbh I worry that Smith-Rowe is going to turn out to be another Tierney injury-wise. :(

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Up until the last few games of last season our biggest issue as said by most on here was our lack of goal threat, now suddenly it's because Saliba wasn't with us.

Get a grip, one defender as good as he is would not have changed the outcome of last season any more than a better striker, there were far too many issues including the ever present Xhaka and our inexperienced manager, revisionism is strong on this forum when it comes to making strawman arguments :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:15 am
Up until the last few games of last season our biggest issue as said by most on here was our lack of goal threat, now suddenly it's because Saliba wasn't with us.

Get a grip, one defender as good as he is would not have changed the outcome of last season any more than a better striker, there were far too many issues including the ever present Xhaka and our inexperienced manager, revisionism is strong on this forum when it comes to making strawman arguments :roll:

I will only speak for myself here, but from minute one last season I was going mad over saliba being fcuked out on loan again, so the revisionism argument does not apply to me muzz

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:15 am

Hmmm, not sure where you got that from, Muzz. I'm certainly not saying Saliba alone would have changed the entire season. But I am saying it was one of the easier solutions to a problem area that Martinez-Lite fucked up. For me it's indicative of his novice status as a manager - if he can't get the easy ones right, how can anyone expect him to get the difficult ones right?

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:30 am
augie wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Wasting your time on that buddy - the level of stupidity on here is reaching new levels with the praising and support of lego head for sending saliba away last season, and there is zero help for gobshites like them :roll: :oops: :oops:

I'd hope we can all debate the pros and cons of Martinez-Lite (for me it's still mostly cons) without the forum degenerating into the horrible shitstorm it did during the last few years of Wenger's reign. The intolerance and constant abuse from both sides back then drove away some of the best members we had on here. I'd hate to see it happen again.

You're an intelligent bloke and I personally agree with most of what you post but just take the tone down a bit please. :wink:

I think what you actually meant to say was "drove away ALL the good members we had and all that remains are the half-wits and nutjobs".....I'm right aren't I, that's what you meant to say wasn't it?

:lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:21 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:30 am
augie wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

I think what you actually meant to say was "drove away ALL the good members we had and all that remains are the half-wits and nutjobs".....I'm right aren't I, that's what you meant to say wasn't it?

:lol:
:lol: :lol:

:rubchin:

Erm, actually, yes. :shock:

:D :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I haven't seen anyone on here hailing farteta for sending Saliba away !? Might have missed it.

I was under the understanding / mis-understanding that farteta didn't think Saliba was up to the job and was looking to off-load him, just as he had Gendouzi (for different reasons).

I have seen on various social media idiots praising farteta saying he knew what he was doing and brought him back at the right time etc :blah: :blah: :blah:

But not on here.

If anyone on here has tried to make out that it was farteta's plan all along to leave him out on loan for so long until he had matured and got games under his belt etc, then they are obviously wrong.