League finish prediction (22/23)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Where will we finish?

Top 2 (haha)
11%
3rd/4th
49%
5th/6th
35%
7th/8th
5%
9th/10th
No votes
Bottom half!
No votes

Total votes: 37

goonersid

Re: League finish prediction (22/23)

Post by goonersid »

I don't care how good a squad we may or may not have!
Citeh, mousers, spuds, chavs, utd and possibly barcodes all have either better or similar strength squads, but with all having more experienced superior managers, that will be enough!
Add to that the games we will lose again to the likes of Everton, Brighton and Palace, we haven't a hope of top 4.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Xhaka is still here & we have been crap for six years since he arrived. :banghead:

Can't see us above 5th unless we spend more, we're top spenders so far @ £105million followed by Spammers @£80million, but we still need to strengthen to get further up the table.

Arteta has been backed in the transfer market, for me he needs to delete Xhaka but he won't, if things go pearshaped Captain Black won't be able to say he hasn't had time nor money to build a side good enough to get a CL placing.

I reckon a better manager like at the Fulham Nazis or the MIddlesex Swamp could get this squad into 4th place, maybe even Gollum Moyes could do it, Captain Black needs more signings to do the same IMO! :roll:

I'm considering the chance of getting CL by winning the Europa League as it gets us CL football, doesn't matter how we do it, but it's hard to win & we have a shite European record especially finals! :censored:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

SingaporeG88ner wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:23 pm
gooner265 wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:05 pm
Why cant i vote ?
Incompetence? :rubchin: :lol:
:lol: the results are already there , unless I did it when pissed :lol: anyway Im going for 4th if we get Tieliemans.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

gooner265 wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:05 pm
Why cant i vote ?
Are you over 18yrs of age??? :D

#justsaying. :wink:

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

I am predicting 4th. But that’s at best. Could be worse, but hope not.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I went top 4 last season, so no reason to expect less after a decent transfer window.
Those pre-season results are on a par with '88/89 pre-season. Makita tournament beating spuds 4-0, equates to beating the Chavs 4-0. Smashing 6 past Sevilla was impressive too. Although, I forecast a league title in 2023/24, (I have my reasons). We are going to run the top 2 close. I'm not dismissing the other 3 clubs hunting for top 4, I just think there's a different factor at play this season. Missing out on 4th to Spuds in last 3 games of the season would've (or should've) really hurt those players. They'll be wanting to put that right. Arteta certainly will. Top 4, League Cup and the Europa League will do nicely. We need a European trophy.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:52 pm
I went top 4 last season, so no reason :D to expect less after a decent transfer window.
Those pre-season results are on a par with '88/89 pre-season. Makita tournament beating spuds 4-0, equates to beating the Chavs 4-0. Smashing 6 past Sevilla was impressive too. Although, I forecast a league title in 2023/24, (I have my reasons). We are going to run the top 2 close. I'm not dismissing the other 3 clubs hunting for top 4, I just think there's a different factor at play this season. Missing out on 4th to Spuds in last 3 games of the season would've (or should've) really hurt those players. They'll be wanting to put that right. Arteta certainly will. Top 4, League Cup and the Europa League will do nicely. We need a European trophy.
Wow :D

I hope you are right but I really can’t see it.
If we finish within 20 points of City and Liverpool it will be a miracle.

I also have little hope I’m Arteta leading us to a cup win. He is spectacularly bad in all cup competitions.

wibble

Post by wibble »

Nos89 wrote:
I went top 4 last season, so no reason to expect less after a decent transfer window.
Although, I forecast a league title in 2023/24, (I have my reasons).
Insanity and a lack of medication? :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

wibble wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:23 am
Nos89 wrote:
Although, I forecast a league title in 2023/24, (I have my reasons).
Insanity and a lack of medication? :wink:

Thought the same 8)

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Nos89 wrote:
I always admire your optimism - I tend to get my hopes up a bit then, get dashed and I think top 4 is a realistic objective as the team now is all Arteta’s through choice by either bring them or in the case of Xhaka, Holding, etc keeping them, so he lives or dies by this seasons progress.

I think he needs to qualify for the CL at least, but given the financial backing he has been given, probably won’t cost him his job if he fails again.

Would love to win the Europa as it’s about time we won another European trophy 🏆 and it’s achievable this year for sure.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:28 am
Nos89 wrote:
I went top 4 last season, so no reason :D to expect less after a decent transfer window.

I also have little hope I’m Arteta leading us to a cup win. He is spectacularly bad in all cup competitions.

Won the FA Cup and reached the semi final of both the League Cup and Europa League in last 3 seasons. Yes, that's spectacularly bad. Do you even understand how football works?

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

Top 4 this year is a real possibility. Arteta must learn that he has to drop Odegaard during physical matches because the guy can't hack it when he gets pressured and roughed up.

I'd rather see a back 3 with two strikers during these matches, but what do I know? :D

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:53 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Won the FA Cup and reached the semi final of both the League Cup and Europa League in last 3 seasons. Yes, that's spectacularly bad. Do you even understand how football works?
We won the FA Cup despite Arteta not because of him.
That was an Emery team and Aubamayang was playing for a new contract, whilst Martinez was in the form of his life.
If Covid hadn’t happened then we would probably have exited in the QF stage.

The league cup semi …we beat Wimbledon, Leeds and Sunderland at home to get there.
Couldn’t really be easier could it?

Same with the Europa League - a load of non teams in it until the latter stages.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:57 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:53 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

We won the FA Cup despite Arteta not because of him.
That was an Emery team and Aubamayang was playing for a new contract, whilst Martinez was in the form of his life.
If Covid hadn’t happened then we would probably have exited in the QF stage.

The league cup semi …we beat Wimbledon, Leeds and Sunderland at home to get there.
Couldn’t really be easier could it?

Same with the Europa League - a load of non teams in it until the latter stages.
It could've been a lot easier. Still went further then the other 88 teams in the competition.
How arrogant to state the "non-teams" in the Europa League. By that standard I take it you're including Arsenal as a non team, as we didn't get there the season before. You can only beat the team in front of you.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

5th/6th for me

With the usual level of investment the Kroenkes handed their managers of the past 10 years, I'd have gone for midtable but this is now two consecutive summers where they've backed Carpet Head with some serious funds.

Man U are a shambles and I don't see them making the top four, and the Chavs might have a bit of an inconsistent season but I can't honestly see the Mickeys, Citeh or the vermin falling out of the top four.......so I think we will scrap it out with those two and just fall short of the Chavs, who will eventually buy their way out of it. The other key slight difference will be the lack of leadership. As most of you know I spent most of last season bemoaning the lack of leadership in away games where we fell behind and I don't think we've done anything to correct that in the window - where is the leader of men when you most need it? Odegaard captains in a different way and I don't see Jesus, Vieira, Zinchenko etc being that type - so for me, I still worry about those April/May games away to the likes of Newcastle when it matters most. People talk about players like Zinchenko and Jesus having 8 titles between them and having a winning mentality but that doesn't naturally translate to leadership, particularly as they were both fringe players. People said the same about Cech bringing that winning mentality with him but it isn't as simple as that. Saliba gives me some hope, but scratch beneath that and we will still the Cedrics and Holdings of this world appearing too often in important games

I do think we have a serious tilt at the Europa - if I look at the teams that have made it from the 'big leagues' into the Group stage - Roma, Real Sociedad, Lazio, Union Berlin, Betis and Freiburg, there's little to worry about there. The plastic Mancs are fucking hopeless too. The French and Portuguese teams are nothing to write home about too.

If we manage to avoid an Atletico type team dropping into it from the CL groups we could go all the way

Lets hope the Greek bubble bath happens anyway - that's up there with death and taxes as a certainty :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: