William Saliba

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner265

William Saliba

Post by gooner265 »

Think he deserves a thread as a new signing as I think he's gonna be immense this year. For me it was right to send him on loan another season as hes grown stronger and broken into the French team . I know Im going agsinst opinion here but you rarely see teenage centre backs in the first team at prem level.

Mikel Arteta on Saliba: “I am really happy in how he’s adapted. In our opinion, it’s not just my opinion, he needed that exposure [on loan]. Hopefully that will prove that for him & for the club it was the right decision, but at the time, I understand we get criticised.” #afc

Arteta on Saliba: “Playing the amount of minutes he played & the way he was growing, he gave us a lot of reasons that he could be the player we need. He’s given us every reason to believe we made the right decision loaning him for a year because he now looks ready to go.” #afc
Last edited by gooner265 on Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Perryashburtongroves

Re: William Saliba

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

This boy could be exactly what we've needed for the best part of 15 years or he could be another of the amateur centre-backs we've got in over that time. I do think there's something about him and the reports from France over the last couple of years have been very positive. As I've said for about 18 months, the bloke who cuts my hair is a Marseille supporter and has a brother down there who goes to all their matches. He's been telling me that they can't believe we've loaned him and not had him playing for us.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Hoping and praying he is the next Tony Adams or Steve Bould. Or even the next Martin Keown!

I'm kidding - I always liked Keown! :wink:

Fingers crossed because we need him to be a top player for us.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:03 pm
Hoping and praying he is the next Tony Adams or Steve Bould. Or even the next Martin Keown!

Well he already looks better than Mari,Senderos,Stepanovs,Djourou,Mustafi,Sokratis,Luiz and Holding :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

robbo10 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:13 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:03 pm

Well he already looks better than Mari,Senderos,Stepanovs,Djourou,Mustafi,Sokratis,Luiz and Holding :barscarf:
True. :lol: But then in fairness my dear old dead Granny... ah you guys know the rest. :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Heard a good description of is performance last night:

"He was like the calm in the eye of a storm".... He has that ability to have more time on the ball and he certainly knows how to put in a tackle and play rough when needed...Read the game really well and covered for White who (perhaps understandably not being a regular at RB) was struggling against Zaha. Very Promising! :barscarf:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

You forgot Cygan and dear old Gus :lol:

What a start at a tough away ground , quietly very excited about this boy. Still maintain that extra season on loan has helped him grow , white will be benched when Tomi is fit undoubtedly.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

gooner265 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:12 am

What a start at a tough away ground , quietly very excited about this boy. Still maintain that extra season on loan has helped him grow , white will be benched when Tomi is fit undoubtedly.

Agreed, we would like to think so, but with carpet head you can never be sure, I mean this is the manager who keeps on selecting Clive each week.... :?

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:05 am
gooner265 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:12 am

Agreed, we would like to think so, but with carpet head you can never be sure, I mean this is the manager who keeps on selecting Clive each week.... :?
But every manager has , I just cant fathom it, Saliba is undroppable already , Arteta was gushing over him last night after as well .

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Saliba looks everything Ben White SHOULD be! If Carpet head drops Saliba to move White back when tommy is fit then we are fucked.
Pedro on Le Grove thought White had a decent game........I thought he was shite, as he is in most games......50m when he's worth 20 at a push!

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

TeeCee wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:10 pm
Saliba looks everything Ben White SHOULD be! If Carpet head drops Saliba to move White back when tommy is fit then we are fucked.
Pedro on Le Grove thought White had a decent game........I thought he was shite, as he is in most games......50m when he's worth 20 at a push!
I do think that there's a decent player there I Ben White but I just get the feeling that he's a bag of nerves and panics. He needs someone next to him slowing him down and calming him. He seems to read the game well, gets in decent positions but then ends up chasing the ball at times and getting himself into parts of the pitch where he's not needed.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Apparently Madrid want him. Won’t sign a new contract until he heard what they have to say.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:46 pm
Apparently Madrid want him. Won’t sign a new contract until he heard what they have to say.
He still has 4 years on his current contract doesnt he?

Media were saying he agreed to extend before flying off to the states

Should offer him a top deal now to extend....obvious the top clubs in the world will be after him

He said previously would see out his contract to show what he can do to everyone then look at options

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

He has 2 years left and it is going to be a tricky task getting him to sign a new contract. I have to say I am a bit worried about this one.

Leicester has rejected a 70 million bid for Fofana and the Chavs will be going back with a improved bid, Saliba should be worth more than Fofana.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Gunnerz4life wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:06 pm
He has 2 years left and it is going to be a tricky task getting him to sign a new contract. I have to say I am a bit worried about this one.

Leicester has rejected a 70 million bid for Fofana and the Chavs will be going back with a improved bid, Saliba should be worth more than Fofana.
Fuck...2 years....Arsenal have dropped a bollock here.....how did they let it come to this

£70 million is no good for saliba...fucking white cost £50 million...hes 10 times the player White is

you just wont replace him...end up with 10 years of Holding and Mari lookalikes