William Saliba

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: William Saliba

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:42 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:39 pm
Personally I have no idea why people would spend time on a forum that they profess to hate so much.
I honestly don't think anyone hates the forum DB10 or the regular contributors. It's just the relentless jabbing of certain players and the manager that never stops even when we win.

Some people are so far gone, that they can't change their tune/opinions more out of personal pride than anything else. I was right on the fence about Arteta before all or nothing, but he has shown no matter how bizarre his managerial methods he has the respect/backing of the team.

Some of the stuff said about Xhaka is beyond believable. He's been one of our best players this season, I was in the ground when he threw his shirt to the floor vs Palace and have never sworn so much at an Arsenal player.

He will never go down as a great, but ffs at least acknowledge in this system playing further up the pitch he has made a decent contribution to the wins so far.
Why would I acknowledge something I do not believe Nutty? I genuinely view him as one of the worst players to ever play for us and he has been that bad for over half a decade!

His current role allows him to meander around aimlessly pointing without causing the calamities he causes when sitting deeper. He is also covered by the players around him more in that advanced role. We replace him and we instantly become a better team.

The bar is set so low for the guy that if he doesn't score an own goal or get sent off or give away a stupid penalty then, no matter how poorly he has played, we get people saying he "played well".

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:21 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Personally I have no idea why people would spend time on a forum that they profess to hate so much.
I honestly don't think anyone hates the forum DB10 or the regular contributors. It's just the relentless jabbing of certain players and the manager that never stops even when we win.

Some people are so far gone, that they can't change their tune/opinions more out of personal pride than anything else. I was right on the fence about Arteta before all or nothing, but he has shown no matter how bizarre his managerial methods he has the respect/backing of the team.

Some of the stuff said about Xhaka is beyond believable. He's been one of our best players this season, I was in the ground when he threw his shirt to the floor vs Palace and have never sworn so much at an Arsenal player.

He will never go down as a great, but ffs at least acknowledge in this system playing further up the pitch he has made a decent contribution to the wins so far.
Why would I acknowledge something I do not believe Nutty? I genuinely view him as one of the worst players to ever play for us and he has been that bad for over half a decade!

His current role allows him to meander around aimlessly pointing without causing the calamities he causes when sitting deeper. He is also covered by the players around him more in that advanced role. We replace him and we instantly become a better team.

The bar is set so low for the guy that if he doesn't score an own goal or get sent off or give away a stupid penalty then, no matter how poorly he has played, we get people saying he "played well".
So when Kevin Campbell makes a very good analysis of what Zinchenko brings to the team, and how Granit Xhaka has benefited from this and now contributes more to the team, you ignore that and stick to your meandering around aimlessly, point of view? The use of adjectives on this forum to make a point does tickle me! :D

Seriously, there is a lot of confirmation bias on the forum.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:06 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

So when Kevin Campbell makes a very good analysis of what Zinchenko brings to the team, and how Granit Xhaka has benefited from this and now contributes more to the team, you ignore that and stick to your meandering around aimlessly, point of view? The use of adjectives on this forum to make a point does tickle me! :D

Personally I don't listen to most ex-players opinions and prefer to make my own mind up. Most ex-players will never call a spade a spade and openly criticise a shit player because they fear losing that pundit role they now have with Sky or BT or whoever. This is the world we live in. To criticise someone is seen as bullying or having an agenda or being a hater. It's ridiculous.

I'd also say that confirmation bias works both ways though. As I said those that propagate the myth of Lobotomy Clive being a good player set the bar far lower for him than any other player, and will point to his one good goal per season, or the one or two good passes he makes per game, whilst ignoring the overwhelming number of poor passes, the stupidity, the red cards, the pennos conceded, etc.

What irks me is that Martinez-Lite - who I still do not rate as a good manager - might actually be on the cusp of building a decent team, but weakens it cataclysmically by continuing to play Clive. We replace him in midfield and we go up a couple levels straight away.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:57 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Personally I don't listen to most ex-players opinions and prefer to make my own mind up. Most ex-players will never call a spade a spade and openly criticise a shit player because they fear losing that pundit role they now have with Sky or BT or whoever. This is the world we live in. To criticise someone is seen as bullying or having an agenda or being a hater. It's ridiculous.

I'd also say that confirmation bias works both ways though. As I said those that propagate the myth of Lobotomy Clive being a good player set the bar far lower for him than any other player, and will point to his one good goal per season, or the one or two good passes he makes per game, whilst ignoring the overwhelming number of poor passes, the stupidity, the red cards, the pennos conceded, etc.

What irks me is that Martinez-Lite - who I still do not rate as a good manager - might actually be on the cusp of building a decent team, but weakens it cataclysmically by continuing to play Clive. We replace him in midfield and we go up a couple levels straight away.
I would actually in particular for the big games, have KT as LB and put Zin (another maligned transfer on here with Jesus) in the number 8 on the left instead of Xhaka.

Look don't get me wrong, Xhaka has served up a pile of dross for years but this season so far he has made a measured contribution. Even the most critical fans are now saying that.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:06 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

I would actually in particular for the big games, have KT as LB and put Zin (another maligned transfer on here with Jesus) in the number 8 on the left instead of Xhaka.

Look don't get me wrong, Xhaka has served up a pile of dross for years but this season so far he has made a measured contribution. Even the most critical fans are now saying that.
I had no problem with the Zinchenko signing as we need bodies in that LB slot but have to admit I didn't see the point in signing Jesus. I thought he was a goodish player but not what we needed. Am thrilled to so far be proved very wrong on that count. He has been excellent and adds a whole new dimension to our attack. Will he keep it up for the season? I hope so.

But we will have to agree to disagree on Clive, mate. :wink:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

So are the dullards on here claiming an improvement from Xhaka due to his goal (tap in) and assist (simple 5 yard pass to Saliba who scored a 1 in 100 first time curler off his wrong foot) in the last two games?

The bloke was poor against Leicester, playing their striker clean through on goal early on plus a couple of other brain farts. He is still giving away possession consistently throughout all 3 games so far. I must be missing something because the bloke is crap and hasn’t improved. He just isn’t being shown up as we are winning games. Zinchenko and Jesus are basically diluting his shitness with their professionalism and dynamism.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:54 am
So are the dullards on here claiming an improvement from Xhaka due to his goal (tap in) and assist (simple 5 yard pass to Saliba who scored a 1 in 100 first time curler off his wrong foot) in the last two games?

The bloke was poor against Leicester, playing their striker clean through on goal early on plus a couple of other brain farts. He is still giving away possession consistently throughout all 3 games so far. I must be missing something because the bloke is crap and hasn’t improved. He just isn’t being shown up as we are winning games. Zinchenko and Jesus are basically diluting his shitness with their professionalism and dynamism.
you got it mate...fickle fans going with the flow...

If he is remotely anything like the last 2 seasons this season he will be a fucking disgrace

On the plus side we have some real quality in the team now, Jesus, Saliba and Zinchenko....with Tierney and Tommi also ready
This season is looking exciting ....

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:09 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:06 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I had no problem with the Zinchenko signing as we need bodies in that LB slot but have to admit I didn't see the point in signing Jesus. I thought he was a goodish player but not what we needed. Am thrilled to so far be proved very wrong on that count. He has been excellent and adds a whole new dimension to our attack. Will he keep it up for the season? I hope so.

But we will have to agree to disagree on Clive, mate. :wink:
Ohhhh! Boy!!!

Dontcha ! Just LOVE a Quote Tower!!! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

^^^ All of this and the part in red is absolutely key. I'm no fan of Arteta, but we're assembling a good squad of players and it's the most promising state for years. However, Xhaka will ALWAYS undermine what the team are capable of, either vby his constant giving the ball away in dangerous areas and his general shitness. As DB says, for some inexplicable reason, too many supporters grant him a ridiculously low bar...don't obviously cost us a goal or get sent off etc and he's played well. I don't wish to be inappropriate, but it's like getting excited over a kid with learning difficulties managing to read a Janet and John book at age fifteen.

Take him out and replace him with an average work horse who doesn't fuck up and we'll improve no end. Replace him with a quality centre mid and we'll be in business. What I dont understand is why everyone's getting excited about him playing in an advanced midfield role, when we have ESR on the bench. That's the boy's natural postion and he's a class act imo. What does Xhaka possibly offer that ESR doesn't have?

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I know it's a Saliba post. Got his own song after 3 games, which is amazing. It'll be interesting to see how he deals with mitrovic, who may not be the best striker in the world but he's certainly the kind that would cause problems of a different sort.
On Xhaka, seeing the positions he's playing in is made for Zinchenko. Get Tierney back in the team, who is a much better LB than Zinchenko, and move him into midfield.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

A lot of truth in your comments about ex players opinions.....most cant or wont talk the truth....they are to close to the game and their living depends on keeping their job...

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:17 pm
I know it's a Saliba post. Got his own song after 3 games, which is amazing. It'll be interesting to see how he deals with mitrovic, who may not be the best striker in the world but he's certainly the kind that would cause problems of a different sort.
On Xhaka, seeing the positions he's playing in is made for Zinchenko. Get Tierney back in the team, who is a much better LB than Zinchenko, and move him into midfield.
Agreed with all the the above....was just thinking how Saliba will deal with Mitrovic who is a handful...think he has the talent to control him which will be key....another Arsenal win....think we will win our first 5 games

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

What has happened to my Saliba thread :shock: :lol: , DB sort it out :lol:

FWIW I still think Xhaka will lose his place in to the team to vieira, esr or another midfielder we sign .
Arteta sees vieira in that rols and once either lidt the team up a couple of levels as DB said he'll be cover for Partey at best.

SingaporeG88ner

Post by SingaporeG88ner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
I never said I hated it if that’s aimed at me and it’s a disappointing response if it is :?

Just a long standing member (and mod before my account mysteriously disappeared overnight :oops: :lol: ) voicing his concerns about the constant name calling creating a negative vibe on here, that’s all.

SingaporeG88ner

Post by SingaporeG88ner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Thanks for understanding my point of view nut flush! Totally right, I don’t hate this place at all. It’s the relentless jabbing as you say.

To be honest, DB10s response was what I expected. Typically dismissive and negative. Which was kind of my point :oops: :lol: