William Saliba

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
arrgee

Re: William Saliba

Post by arrgee »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:16 pm
We lost top 4 for one reason. Faith in Tavares. If you watch All Or Nothing, Tierney comes back to fitness but because Tavares has had a couple of reasonable games he persists with him. We drop points in those games. It happens again at the end of the season. Instead of playing an experienced right back at left back he plays Tavares or one occasion Xhaka. Arteta’s faith in Tavares blows us up. Not the missing Saliba imo. Although perhaps with Saliba in the squad we could have shifted the defence around a bit better. Perhaps it is Saliba we were missing. :lol:
I remember quite a few people saying Tavares had done well and shouldn’t be dropped, but I was of the opinion that Tierney is so much better that he should be straight back. Then again these are the same people who think Xhakash!t should be in the team.

Saliba should not have been loaned out last season. However, I suspect that he may have been on the bench at the start of the season and Captain Black may not have started him until Tomiyasu got injured.

SingaporeG88ner

Post by SingaporeG88ner »

shu wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:54 pm
I would imagine hell is being stuck inside the online gooner forum , going round and round in circles of pain ,negativity and hatred.

You know even if we won anything most of you would still all hate Arteta , he cant win tbh.

Now i am not fan of his but i think we are in a much better place than 3 years ago and the board have provided the finances. Thank god there are the one or two here who are positive but then get aggressively shouted down.

But some of you are a fucking disgrace and should take a look at yourselves.
Agreed. To be fair, it’s a small group of offenders but they dominate the forum so it makes the place seem far more negative that it probably is.

My main gripe is that name calling has been normalised. I enjoy healthy debate but responding to people who insist on calling players Pep’s Cone Boy, Legohead, basque c.unt, Ohdeargod and any number of nasty names for Xhaka is just depressing. I usually give up before I finish typing.

It’s totally changed the way I post and interact on here which is a shame as the constant name calling just gets under my skin. It’s not just childish but so aggressive and totally sucks the life out of a discussion.

And here’s a worrying thought… It takes much longer to type “Basque C.unt”, “Legohead” and “Pep’s Cone Boy” than it does to simply call him Arteta… unless the insults are saved as a favourite :shock: :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

SingaporeG88ner wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:25 pm
shu wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:54 pm
I would imagine hell is being stuck inside the online gooner forum , going round and round in circles of pain ,negativity and hatred.

You know even if we won anything most of you would still all hate Arteta , he cant win tbh.

Now i am not fan of his but i think we are in a much better place than 3 years ago and the board have provided the finances. Thank god there are the one or two here who are positive but then get aggressively shouted down.

But some of you are a fucking disgrace and should take a look at yourselves.
Agreed. To be fair, it’s a small group of offenders but they dominate the forum so it makes the place seem far more negative that it probably is.

My main gripe is that name calling has been normalised. I enjoy healthy debate but responding to people who insist on calling players Pep’s Cone Boy, Legohead, basque c.unt, Ohdeargod and any number of nasty names for Xhaka is just depressing. I usually give up before I finish typing.

It’s totally changed the way I post and interact on here which is a shame as the constant name calling just gets under my skin. It’s not just childish but so aggressive and totally sucks the life out of a discussion.

And here’s a worrying thought… It takes much longer to type “Basque C.unt”, “Legohead” and “Pep’s Cone Boy” than it does to simply call him Arteta… unless the insults are saved as a favourite :shock: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

To be honest, I agree to a degree, but some of the names are pretty creative and funny imo, for example Ohdeargod is hardly spiteful, but it is creative and humourous.

As for the names above for Arteta, I think they're also funny and I like "Carpet Head" too :lol: , none of which are nasty imo. I'd agree that "basque c.unt" is too strong, although I can understand the frustration.

Now, for Xhaka, the boundaries are pretty wide in my opinion :lol: . Still, it's the same when I'm at the ground, I might complain about a player, but I won't attack them personally. I've no time at all for Xhaka, as is well documented on here, but the bottom line is that it's not his fault that our string of idiot managers have selected him. It's on them and I don't expect him to turn around and say, "Listen boss, I'm totally fucking inept and will only destroy any chance of success you might have, so stop paying me £120,000 per week (or whatever he gets) and never pick me." It's why I'll criticise his ability and the manager's that pick him all day long, but I won't call him a c.unt (at least, I don't think I have! :lol: ).

Bottom line G88ner, people have had 15 years of pain and frustration and they invest a lot financially and emotionally into The Arsenal, so they defend the institution and want the best for it, as though it were a beloved family member. That sounds odd to non football people, but all those on here know exactly what I mean. So emotions run high and feelings come out. I think we're lucky on here that there's a high degree of humour running through all the angst.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Personally I have no idea why people would spend time on a forum that they profess to hate so much.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:39 pm
Personally I have no idea why people would spend time on a forum that they profess to hate so much.

No mate it's Not the Forum people hate it's either Xhaka and certain individuals :D :wink:

or just Xhaka

Either way Xhaka is both involved AND to blame! :D :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

ps: Just to be clear.....William Saliba is Wonderful. :barscarf:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Apparently the players were singing his song in the dressing room, as well as the fans at the game -,he looks happy to me, so hopefully he doesn’t need “convincing” to sign a new contract when it is put in front of him.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I think if we can stay in the top 4 until Christmas at least and make the project look exciting (which it is) then he would be likely to sign to be honest.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:29 am
Apparently the players were singing his song in the dressing room, as well as the fans at the game -,he looks happy to me, so hopefully he doesn’t need “convincing” to sign a new contract when it is put in front of him.
Fingers crossed. I know it's early days yet and we've been stung before but he just looks like he has that something extra the top players have.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I have to say his goal yesterday would have had some strikers turning green with envy he is settling in nicely and even with the OG last week I don't think it has effected him. An OG by the way that on another day would have gone past the post and we'd have been lauding it as an important interception.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:12 pm
I have to say his goal yesterday would have had some strikers turning green with envy he is settling in nicely and even with the OG last week I don't think it has effected him.

Does OG stand for Online Gooner ? :rubchin:

Midz

Post by Midz »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:28 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

No mate it's Not the Forum people hate it's either Xhaka and certain individuals :D :wink:

or just Xhaka

can you hate Xhaka and one or two individuals?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Midz wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:52 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:28 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

or just Xhaka

can you hate Xhaka and one or two individuals?
:lol:

Yep. We all do! :D :wink:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
I honestly don't think anyone hates the forum DB10 or the regular contributors. It's just the relentless jabbing of certain players and the manager that never stops even when we win.

Some people are so far gone, that they can't change their tune/opinions more out of personal pride than anything else. I was right on the fence about Arteta before all or nothing, but he has shown no matter how bizarre his managerial methods he has the respect/backing of the team.

Some of the stuff said about Xhaka is beyond believable. He's been one of our best players this season, I was in the ground when he threw his shirt to the floor vs Palace and have never sworn so much at an Arsenal player.

He will never go down as a great, but ffs at least acknowledge in this system playing further up the pitch he has made a decent contribution to the wins so far.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:42 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
I honestly don't think anyone hates the forum DB10 or the regular contributors. It's just the relentless jabbing of certain players and the manager that never stops even when we win.

Some people are so far gone, that they can't change their tune/opinions more out of personal pride than anything else. I was right on the fence about Arteta before all or nothing, but he has shown no matter how bizarre his managerial methods he has the respect/backing of the team.

Some of the stuff said about Xhaka is beyond believable. He's been one of our best players this season, I was in the ground when he threw his shirt to the floor vs Palace and have never sworn so much at an Arsenal player.

He will never go down as a great, but ffs at least acknowledge in this system playing further up the pitch he has made a decent contribution to the wins so far.
What games you been watching FFS.....one of the best players...thats bollox....hes moved slightly forward and has Zinchenko and Saliba covering...hes not so exposed...thats the difference