Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
begeegs

Re: Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

Post by begeegs »

Good commanding game from him today with some very good saves. Did manage to punt the ball into Mitrovics head which I enjoyed.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Two match winning saves to ensure the 3 points. Definitely 2 points gained because of Ramsdale making critical saves. Especially, the one at the end of the game.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

i'm not as down on ramsdale as other but come on 89 your stretching it there, they were saves we would expect any keeper to make. had they gone in the keeper would have been questioned big time.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

the playing mantis wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:13 pm
i'm not as down on ramsdale as other but come on 89 your stretching it there, they were saves we would expect any keeper to make. had they gone in the keeper would have been questioned big time.

Exactly Mantis. Nos is trying to make a point here, as though the points were down to Ramsdale. The guy played well today...didn't have much to do, but did what he had to do well. Other, of course, than the attempted Hollywood kick that hit Mitrovic and could have gone anywhere. He won't keep getting away with those cock ups.

As for the saves that Nos is referring to, you're absolutely right, he did his job, but had he failed to make those saves, there'd have been uproar.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I really rate Ramsdale, he is young and still has much to learn, however no one can fault his courage and his ability to command his area.

Yes he has made a few Bloopers, but the thing is the position of Goal Keeper automatically comes with the added and increased pressure of if they make a mistake it is most likely to be more costly than say for instance a striker has a chance to score and misses, most likely another chance will come along for him to put that right, whereas if a goalie fluffs his lines that one mistake can cost points and so a GK can be open to huge amounts of criticism and doubt.

I think he's the best goalie we've had since David Seaman who incidentally is a huge fan of Ramsdale and was one of the ex-Arsenal players that rated and recommended him to the club.

the playing mantis

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:53 pm
I really rate Ramsdale, he is young and still has much to learn, however no one can fault his courage and his ability to command his area.

Yes he has made a few Bloopers, but the thing is the position of Goal Keeper automatically comes with the added and increased pressure of if they make a mistake it is most likely to be more costly than say for instance a striker has a chance to score and misses, most likely another chance will come along for him to put that right, whereas if a goalie fluffs his lines that one mistake can cost points and so a GK can be open to huge amounts of criticism and doubt.

I think he's the best goalie we've had since David Seaman who incidentally is a huge fan of Ramsdale and was one of the ex-Arsenal players that rated and recommended him to the club.
Can't agree there Lehman was the best since spunky. World class alart from the mental mistake. Ramsdale not at that level yet.

I k ow a few on here don't like mad Jens for that reason the cl final and spurs away (although that was never a penalty as the ball wasn't in play) but he was an invincible and had to be pretty damn good to have been so. Yes the very occasional mental moment undermined him being an all time great I guess.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:

Tbh OBG, I always think Seaman comes across as thick as arseholes. Playing at the top level doesn't equate to a great understanding of the game. I know that sounds counter intuitive, but we see it time and time again and very often with the most naturally gifted of players...those that have a God given ability so a thoughtful understanding has never been so necessary for them.

Anyway, Arteta played at the top level and rates Xhaka as indispensable. Says it all.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:35 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:

Can't agree there Lehman was the best since spunky. World class alart from the mental mistake. Ramsdale not at that level yet.

I k ow a few on here don't like mad Jens for that reason the cl final and spurs away (although that was never a penalty as the ball wasn't in play) but he was an invincible and had to be pretty damn good to have been so. Yes the very occasional mental moment undermined him being an all time great I guess.
Which is why I said "he is young and still has much to learn, "

Mad Jens was indeed a very good GK, but again even being at the more senior / mature stage as our GK he still had serious Brain Farts.....

Mind you that comes as part & parcel of all keepers.

the playing mantis

No i know but was disagreeing he's currently the best since spunky. As rate lehmann higher currently. Ramsdale could be better just née sto stop being an attention seeking walker like his old man!

Retro. Not fair on spunky his 'broad acres' accent does him no favours but he's actually quite sharp despite that 'broad in the shoulder thick in the head' accent!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Aaron Ramsdale interview post Fulham game. 8)

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:09 pm
No i know but was disagreeing he's currently the best since spunky. As rate lehmann higher currently. Ramsdale could be better just née sto stop being an attention seeking walker like his old man!

Retro. Not fair on spunky his 'broad acres' accent does him no favours but he's actually quite sharp despite that 'broad in the shoulder thick in the head' accent!

Well Mantis, his accent might not help but I’m not basing my opinion on his accent. I’ve seen him interviewed countless times and he never seems too bright imo. When he’s on some type of crappy celebrity game show, he’s embarrassing, with that dopey laugh and grinning face.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:48 pm
Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:09 pm

Well Mantis, his accent might not help but I’m not basing my opinion on his accent. I’ve seen him interviewed countless times and he never seems too bright imo. When he’s on some type of crappy celebrity game show, he’s embarrassing, with that dopey laugh and grinning face.
Have to agree. I love Seamo but he comes across as thick as shite EVERY single time I see him on the telly. My missus calls him the "Himbo". :lol:

Also Lehmann was a cùnt. :censored: That cùnt singlehandedly cost us two CL through nothing more than his own arrogance and rank stupidity. And the fucktard did his best to cost us the Invincibles at - of all places ffs - the swamp. :censored:

I hold the Lehmann cùnt as the reason a Legend like Dennis Bergkamp does not have one maybe two CL medals in his collection and the reason the fucking chav were the first London club to win the CL. We should have had two in the bag by then and, but for the idiotic fuckbag Lehmann, we would have. :censored:

the playing mantis

They clealry when 2s up on someone dear to you DB to hold such bile towards 2 of our legends!!! Was it your good self?!

No blame for the swamp incident. That pikey cynt Keane and the ref (and joe lewis too probably...!)were in cahoots. How could it be a foul and penalty when the ball was not in play and whistle not blown? It can't. Plus he contributed big time to keeping us undefeated.

The CL blow mistake was unfortunate but the defenders take the blame for the chv one 2 imo.

Would people swap invincibles for a CL?

I wouldn't.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:27 pm

I wouldn't.
I would, in a heartbeat.

The club the size of us is severely lacking in European silverware and prestige, and that side we had in 03/04 should have been PL/CL winners in the same season.

the playing mantis

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:33 pm
Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:27 pm

I wouldn't.
I would, in a heartbeat.

The club the size of us is severely lacking in European silverware and prestige, and that side we had in 03/04 should have been PL/CL winners in the same season.
Actually maybe I would.. its tough one imo