Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
TomHelo14

Re: Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

Post by TomHelo14 »

goonersid wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:30 pm
What I was pleased to see was how quick he was to console and reassure Saliba after his own goal.
The wrong reaction from a keeper in that situation could have affected his confidence for the rest of the game.
Yep I think personality and presence in the dressing room wise (going off the All Or Nothing), there isn’t any problems at all. I’ve defo warmed to him personality wise. Just unfortunately, couple howlers creeping that hopefully he eradicates sooner rather than later.

wibble

Post by wibble »

Hard to know how much to read into Martinez getting poty last year at villa, particularly as I didn’t watch any of their games other than against us!
As others have said Ramsey has won that award on numerous occasions at other clubs.
Anyway, that wasn’t the pint of the thread. For what it’s worth I like Ramsdale and think he’s a good keeper

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Martinez had a great run, but prior to that he wasn’t making a name for himself. Farmed out on loan year after year, and never really had much about him to push for a place. For me, Martinez will always be a brilliant number 2, but he didn’t want to do that (fair enough).

Leno wasn’t good enough to be number 1 at Arsenal, either. Quite frankly we should have looked for better.

I’ll. e honest, I really didn’t want Ramsdale to sign. I thought it was an appalling choice to sign a ‘keeper who’d been relegated back to back. Since he joined he’s done well enough (considering the keepers we’ve had over the last 10 years) so far, he’s young and excitable. Hopefully he’ll ground himself and develop into a world class goalkeeper.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:38 am
Martinez had a great run, but prior to that he wasn’t making a name for himself. Farmed out on loan year after year, and never really had much about him to push for a place. For me, Martinez will always be a brilliant number 2, but he didn’t want to do that (fair enough).

Leno wasn’t good enough to be number 1 at Arsenal, either. Quite frankly we should have looked for better.

I’ll. e honest, I really didn’t want Ramsdale to sign. I thought it was an appalling choice to sign a ‘keeper who’d been relegated back to back. Since he joined he’s done well enough (considering the keepers we’ve had over the last 10 years) so far, he’s young and excitable. Hopefully he’ll ground himself and develop into a world class goalkeeper.

I agree with most of this, except the Martinez bit. Surely it's not about the years he was our second string, but about what he did for us when thrust into the limelight and what he's doing for Villa and Argentina. He's proven now that he's not just a number 2 and if he left Villa tomorrow, I guarantee there'd be a string of clubs after him.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

More of a worry for me would be that midfield...Xhaka...Partey and Odegaard...im not totally convinced

We have done very well so far and i can see us winning our first 5 games, but that said the way palace had us on the back foot...dominating the middle was a big worry

We have options with Viera/ESR or Zinchenko replacing Xhaka and Tierney filling in at the back...so yes he can change it around

That said think top 4 is an achievable target
Last edited by Redarmy on Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:37 pm
More of a worry for me would be our that midfield...Xhaka...Partey and Odegaard...im not totally convinced

We have done very well so far and i can see us winning our first 5 games, but that said the way palace had us on the back foot...dominating the middle was a big worry

We have options with Viera/ESR or Zinchenko replacing Xhaka and Tierney filling in at the back...so yes he can change it around

I 100% agree that of far bigger concern than the goalie is that midfield. Clive is shit and a liability no matter who we play against and Ohdeargod only turns up against the shit teams. Partey.... calling him a mixed bag is maybe being kind. But put those three up against the better teams in the league - or any team with a tough midfield - and we are basically done and dusted. :|

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:01 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:37 pm
More of a worry for me would be our that midfield...Xhaka...Partey and Odegaard...im not totally convinced

I 100% agree that of far bigger concern than the goalie is that midfield. Clive is shit and a liability no matter who we play against and Ohdeargod only turns up against the shit teams. Partey.... calling him a mixed bag is maybe being kind. But put those three up against the better teams in the league - or any team with a tough midfield - and we are basically done and dusted. :|

I agree with all of what you and Red have said, but the long standing dreadful weakness in centre mid (which will inevitably cost us heavily again, because Arteta can't or won't acknowledge the problem), isn't going to be helped by a dodgy keeper.

I'm not writing the guy off yet, but I'm seriously worried by what I'm seeing. He's all over the gaff positionally and makes poor decisions. It would help if he stopped the ridiculously manic shouting and arm waving. I genuinely hope he proves me wrong, but I foresee a triumph of chaos and erraticism (is that a word?). I've a feeling that this might be a busy thread come the end of November.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

He was pretty bad today. He is a good shot stopper and his distribution can be excellent, but has a lot of miskicks and flaps. It seems like a concentration issue, but he is fast becoming a worry. He has one brain fart a game as it stands.

Also, after his miskick, the fact that he had the gravitas to complain to the ref about the striker putting him off was pathetic.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I have been moaning a bit about him on here since the start of the year.
However I am still hoping that he is young enough to come good.

The worry I have is that he is going to cost us big time in the bigger matches to come.
We all need to get behind him though - he will be the number one this season, there is nobody else.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:48 am
This thread might well start a row, but I have serious reservations about Ramsdale and I'm wondering what others think.

It's going over old ground with comments I've made on other threads, but I'll say it again anyway. Arteta made a major mistake in getting rid of Martinez and keeping Leno, to then replace the German with Ramsdale. After years of buffoons keeping goal for us, Leno seemed like a step in the right direction, but while I wasn't a vocal detractor of his, it became apparent that he wasn't top notch. Martinez was a revelation in those 13 or so games he played for us and was like a throw back to the old days...a big presence who commanded his box, actually caught the ball instead of flapping and punching poorly, made some fabulous saves and on top of it all, was a calm influence on the defenders around him. Still that ship has sailed and Carpet Head sold him.

With the decision quickly being shown up as the wrong one, Arteta decides to drop Leno and bring in Ramsdale. I've had doubts about the bloke from day one. He's chaotic and erratic, his positioning is poor, he comes for crosses then stops and gets caught in no-man's land, he flaps at crosses, often missing the ball completely and he too often pushes shots straight back out. He also does the manic arm waving and shouting and high five bollocks and is anything but a calm and reassuring figure for the defenders. He can cause panic. He reminds me of Pickford, who also carries on in that chaotic and manic way.

Yep, he's young and agile and will make the odd amazing save, like the one from the free kick at Leicester last season, but I've a horrible feeling that he'll cost more points than he saves us, which says it all. For what it's worth, that second goal he conceded on Saturday was a shocker and totally down to him.
Think you're overreacting, looking for fault because the team are doing well. Two clean sheets in 3 games. He was a bit erratic a couple of times today, as was mad Jens who kept goal in 46 out the 49 game unbeaten run. He's doing well enough. Get off his back because he ain't perfect.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:28 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
This thread might well start a row, but I have serious reservations about Ramsdale and I'm wondering what others think.

It's going over old ground with comments I've made on other threads, but I'll say it again anyway. Arteta made a major mistake in getting rid of Martinez and keeping Leno, to then replace the German with Ramsdale. After years of buffoons keeping goal for us, Leno seemed like a step in the right direction, but while I wasn't a vocal detractor of his, it became apparent that he wasn't top notch. Martinez was a revelation in those 13 or so games he played for us and was like a throw back to the old days...a big presence who commanded his box, actually caught the ball instead of flapping and punching poorly, made some fabulous saves and on top of it all, was a calm influence on the defenders around him. Still that ship has sailed and Carpet Head sold him.

With the decision quickly being shown up as the wrong one, Arteta decides to drop Leno and bring in Ramsdale. I've had doubts about the bloke from day one. He's chaotic and erratic, his positioning is poor, he comes for crosses then stops and gets caught in no-man's land, he flaps at crosses, often missing the ball completely and he too often pushes shots straight back out. He also does the manic arm waving and shouting and high five bollocks and is anything but a calm and reassuring figure for the defenders. He can cause panic. He reminds me of Pickford, who also carries on in that chaotic and manic way.

Yep, he's young and agile and will make the odd amazing save, like the one from the free kick at Leicester last season, but I've a horrible feeling that he'll cost more points than he saves us, which says it all. For what it's worth, that second goal he conceded on Saturday was a shocker and totally down to him.
Think you're overreacting, looking for fault because the team are doing well. Two clean sheets in 3 games. He was a bit erratic a couple of times today, as was mad Jens who kept goal in 46 out the 49 game unbeaten run. He's doing well enough. Get off his back because he ain't perfect.
Um Nos mate, you are aware this is a football forum on the internet where people make comments and discuss football related stuff right? :lol: :wink:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Nos89 wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

Wtf? If it's all the same to you Nos, I'll continue to express my opinion about the players and the club, just as everyone else is free to do on here. Frankly, given some of the inane bollocks that you post, you're the last bloke that ought to be criticising what anyone else has to say.

You get some stick for a lot of the stuff you come out with, but I've said a couple of times that as much as I might not agree with what you say, it's good to have a positive opinion on here. Well fuck that. For a grown man, you have the attitude of an eight year old kid, who looks at everything through red and white spectacles, regardless of good sense or what the weight of evidence suggests. You might be a totally committed supporter, but your understanding of the game is childlike.

That's proven again here by grabbing on to 2 clean sheets in 3 games as some sort of testament to Ramsdale's ability, despite the defence hardly being tested yet and when it has been, the keeper has been far from reassuring. We were coasting yesterday and yet he fucked up the first couple of things he had to do and could have cost us the positive start we'd made. Make those same errors against a decent side and it will definitely cost us.

You then use a juvenile comparison with Lehman as further evidence that Ramsdale is a sound keeper. What sort of fucking logic is "Jens was erratic, so it's ok if Aaron is erratic"? Lehman let himself down with his daft antics, but he was technically very sound and Ramsdale has a long way to go to reach that level. If you like I'll offer you Wilson, Rimmer, Jennings, Seaman and even the underrated Lukic, who were all far from erratic. Erratic is what you absolutely don't want in a goalkeeper mate.

You're in my sights Nos, so you better hope that Aaron doesn't fuck up and cost us, because I'll be sure to let you know.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:47 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

Wtf? If it's all the same to you Nos, I'll continue to express my opinion about the players and the club, just as everyone else is free to do on here. Frankly, given some of the inane bollocks that you post, you're the last bloke that ought to be criticising what anyone else has to say.

You get some stick for a lot of the stuff you come out with, but I've said a couple of times that as much as I might not agree with what you say, it's good to have a positive opinion on here. Well fuck that. For a grown man, you have the attitude of an eight year old kid, who looks at everything through red and white spectacles, regardless of good sense or what the weight of evidence suggests. You might be a totally committed supporter, but your understanding of the game is childlike.

That's proven again here by grabbing on to 2 clean sheets in 3 games as some sort of testament to Ramsdale's ability, despite the defence hardly being tested yet and when it has been, the keeper has been far from reassuring. We were coasting yesterday and yet he fucked up the first couple of things he had to do and could have cost us the positive start we'd made. Make those same errors against a decent side and it will definitely cost us.

You then use a juvenile comparison with Lehman as further evidence that Ramsdale is a sound keeper. What sort of fucking logic is "Jens was erratic, so it's ok if Aaron is erratic"? Lehman let himself down with his daft antics, but he was technically very sound and Ramsdale has a long way to go to reach that level. If you like I'll offer you Wilson, Rimmer, Jennings, Seaman and even the underrated Lukic, who were all far from erratic. Erratic is what you absolutely don't want in a goalkeeper mate.

You're in my sights Nos, so you better hope that Aaron doesn't fuck up and cost us, because I'll be sure to let you know.
And I'll express my opinion if that's alright. If you bothered reading my post last season I picked up on his worrying trend in his behaviour. However, 2 clean sheets, out three seems an odd time to pick holes in the team. Should we go and sign the Preston North end keeper?

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:53 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

And I'll express my opinion if that's alright. If you bothered reading my post last season I picked up on his worrying trend in his behaviour. However, 2 clean sheets, out three seems an odd time to pick holes in the team. Should we go and sign the Preston North end keeper?

I've no idea who the PNE keeper is, but using your yardstick, we ought to sign him, because he's just kept 3 clean sheets so must be better than Ramsdale eh? You're actually arguing against yourself here.

If you honestly think that the measure of a goalkeeper is purely the clean sheets in the previous 3 games, regardless of the opposition, regardless of how well the rest of the team plays and regardless of what your own eyes and football knowlwedge tells you, then I can't help you.

As I said, let's see how things go and make an assessment after 10 games or so, although I reserve the right to highlight any catastrophic howlers that might occur.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:15 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:53 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

I've no idea who the PNE keeper is, but using your yardstick, we ought to sign him, because he's just kept 3 clean sheets so must be better than Ramsdale eh? You're actually arguing against yourself here.

If you honestly think that the measure of a goalkeeper is purely the clean sheets in the previous 3 games, regardless of the opposition, regardless of how well the rest of the team plays and regardless of what your own eyes and football knowlwedge tells you, then I can't help you.

As I said, let's see how things go and make an assessment after 10 games or so, although I reserve the right to highlight any catastrophic howlers that might occur.
Absolutely, as long as you don't mind me highlighting when he doesn't. By howlers do you mean when a mistake leads to a goal, and a loss, or when he makes a bad pass because there are different levels to howlers? Just so I know your expertise in goalkeeping coaching and knowledge.