Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

Post by OneBardGooner »

Maybe change the thread title to something like Prem Goal Keepers, and so not implying anything against any specific Goalies and take it from there!

:popcorn:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:55 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:17 am
Ramsdale age 24, Martinez age 31.

Compare Ramsdale with Martinez when he reaches his early 30s. Martinez spent most of his 20s as a backup/third string goalkeeper for Arsenal.

Ramsdale this season has had some ropey games, but by the same token has made some absolute world class saves that has won us points. Aston Villa away and Bournemouth home spring to mind without even thinking.

Ramsdale as a squad personality is on a different level to Martinez. There is no question about that.

I don’t care how old people are, my concerns are about the two or three heart stopping moments that Ramsdale gives me in almost every game. I don’t care if he’s 18 or 38, if he’s playing in goal for the Arsenal, then he has to be good enough.

The thread is about Ramsdale, not Martinez. Sure, I think Martinez is the better keeper and sure, I said we should have kept him as No. 1 and let Leno go if he wouldn’t sit on the bench (we let him go a year later anyway), but people are fixating on a Ramsdale / Martinez argument.

I couldn’t give a fuck if Martinez throws a couple in his own net every week, my concern is that the bloke in goal for Arsenal is good enough.

Fucking hard work this thread.
Well, you clearly don't get that Goalkeepers don't come into their prime, until they reach their late 20s or early 30s.

Exactly the same happened with Seaman. The fact we have one of England's best goalkeepers is something we should laud not moan about his deficiencies. Every goalkeeper makes mistakes.

Yeah it is hard work, when people on this forum are so negative in what is the best season we have had for 19 years.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:33 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Compare Ramsdale with Martinez when he reaches his early 30s. Martinez spent most of his 20s as a backup/third string goalkeeper for Arsenal.

Ramsdale this season has had some ropey games, but by the same token has made some absolute world class saves that has won us points. Aston Villa away and Bournemouth home spring to mind without even thinking.

Ramsdale as a squad personality is on a different level to Martinez. There is no question about that.

I don’t care how old people are, my concerns are about the two or three heart stopping moments that Ramsdale gives me in almost every game. I don’t care if he’s 18 or 38, if he’s playing in goal for the Arsenal, then he has to be good enough.

The thread is about Ramsdale, not Martinez. Sure, I think Martinez is the better keeper and sure, I said we should have kept him as No. 1 and let Leno go if he wouldn’t sit on the bench (we let him go a year later anyway), but people are fixating on a Ramsdale / Martinez argument.

I couldn’t give a fuck if Martinez throws a couple in his own net every week, my concern is that the bloke in goal for Arsenal is good enough.

Well, you clearly don't get that Goalkeepers don't come into their prime, until they reach their late 20s or early 30s.

Exactly the same happened with Seaman. The fact we have one of England's best goalkeepers is something we should laud not moan about his deficiencies. Every goalkeeper makes mistakes.

Yeah it is hard work, when people on this forum are so negative in what is the best season we have had for 19 years.

Fuck me, the work is getting even harder.

I think we all know that keepers are in their prime in their late 20s / early 30s, but that's not the point here is it? Regardless of age, I want the keeper we have to be good enough. Do you think it's a good policy for a top club to have a young keeper who has plenty of suspect moments and to keep him in place to see if he's up to scratch when he's late 20s? Sounds risky to me.

I have concerns about Ramsdale and not without justification. I don't care how old he is, I want him to be the type of keeper that doesn't have a fuck up or two in the offing for almost every game. He might come good and become reliable, but that's a way off yet, in my opinion. Still let's give it 4 or 5 years, he might be alright then. :roll:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I genuinely believe Ramsdale has all the necessary qualities to be a Top, Top Goal Keeper, whereas Turner will Never be Good Enough and we should offload him in the Summer and get in a new No 2 who Can Push Ramsdale, because at the moment it's a given that Ramsdale will be No 1 choice regardless of how he performs.

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

We should get in Caoimhín Kelleher though I fear he'll go to Spurs as their no 1

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Thynker wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:23 pm
We should get in Caoimhín Kelleher though I fear he'll go to Spurs as their no 1
But would Stupid Teeth sell him to us? Unless the player put in a transfer request?

nut flush gooner

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:14 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

I think we all know that keepers are in their prime in their late 20s / early 30s, but that's not the point here is it? Regardless of age, I want the keeper we have to be good enough. Do you think it's a good policy for a top club to have a young keeper who has plenty of suspect moments and to keep him in place to see if he's up to scratch when he's late 20s? Sounds risky to me.

I have concerns about Ramsdale and not without justification. I don't care how old he is, I want him to be the type of keeper that doesn't have a fuck up or two in the offing for almost every game. He might come good and become reliable, but that's a way off yet, in my opinion. Still let's give it 4 or 5 years, he might be alright then. :roll:
Yeah you are right this is fucking hard work. Lets get this straight, Ramsdale is part of a back 5 that has conceded 26 goals this season. So where are these plenty of suspect moments? Going by your logic, Ederson must be just the same?

We've conceded one more goal that City this season, and its only the most negative team in the top half of the league Newcastle that has conceded a lot less. Have we seen fuck ups from the likes of Allison, Ederson and Kepa this season? Of course we have.

I really don't know what your beef with Ramsdale is, he's a better all round than Pickford. And its probably only Pope a more experienced keeper that's a better English keeper. He is comfortably one of the top 4 goalkeepers in the league, and you know what we were supposed to be going for top 4 this season remember?

If we do make it over the line, Ramsdale will have a big part to play in the coming weeks. I might just have to remind you about this.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:49 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Yeah you are right this is fucking hard work. Lets get this straight, Ramsdale is part of a back 5 that has conceded 26 goals this season. So where are these plenty of suspect moments? Going by your logic, Ederson must be just the same?

We've conceded one more goal that City this season, and its only the most negative team in the top half of the league Newcastle that has conceded a lot less. Have we seen fuck ups from the likes of Allison, Ederson and Kepa this season? Of course we have.

I really don't know what your beef with Ramsdale is, he's a better all round than Pickford. And its probably only Pope a more experienced keeper that's a better English keeper. He is comfortably one of the top 4 goalkeepers in the league, and you know what we were supposed to be going for top 4 this season remember?

If we do make it over the line, Ramsdale will have a big part to play in the coming weeks. I might just have to remind you about this.
:popcorn: :anyminute:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:49 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Yep, fucking hard work mate. Yeah let's get it straight, I have concerns about Ramsdale and you don't. That's fine, it's all about opinions. If you haven't seen dodgy moments from him this season, then you either haven't been watching, or you don't know what you're looking at. Take a look through almost any match thread on here and you'll see plenty of posters making unfavourable comments.

I don't particularly rate Pickford, as I've alrewady said on here and Ramsdale reminds me very much of him. As for keepers at other clubs making mistakes, good, I hope it continues. I don't give a fuck about keepers at other clubs, I care about the keeper at the Arsenal.

I've said many times, I hope he develops into a world class act, but at the moment he worries me and I'm expecting at least one heart in the mouth moment every game. You don't have to feel that way at all mate, good luck to you.

Oh and feel free to remind me about the big part Ramsdale might play...I'll applaud it with you. Similarly, I might just remind you if things don't go so well. Let's hope it falls your way and not mine.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

What I don't get is that there still seems to be this idea amongst Arsenal fans that if you question a player's ability you are somehow being disloyal or something. That then seems to equate with you wanting that player to fail. Which is complete nonsense.

I too have my doubts about Ramsdale from time to time. He has a clanger in him. But I also think that he is the best keeper out of Leno, Martinez and himself. He's not perfect but no keeper is.

Not sure why Jordan "Same hairstyle since he was twelve years old" Pickford is even in this discussion. Ramsdale is streets ahead of him.

I also like Ramsdale's attitude and I'd hate for him to commit the clanger that cost us the league title. Do I think he has that in his game? Unfortunately yes I do. But I also know he has the saves in him to win us that title.

I think basically what I'm trying to say is Lobotomy Clive is a cùnt that shames the Arsenal jersey every time he puts it on. :censored: :D

John F

Post by John F »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:47 pm
What I don't get is that there still seems to be this idea amongst Arsenal fans that if you question a player's ability you are somehow being disloyal or something. That then seems to equate with you wanting that player to fail. Which is complete nonsense.

I too have my doubts about Ramsdale from time to time. He has a clanger in him. But I also think that he is the best keeper out of Leno, Martinez and himself. He's not perfect but no keeper is.

Not sure why Jordan "Same hairstyle since he was twelve years old" Pickford is even in this discussion. Ramsdale is streets ahead of him.

I also like Ramsdale's attitude and I'd hate for him to commit the clanger that cost us the league title. Do I think he has that in his game? Unfortunately yes I do. But I also know he has the saves in him to win us that title.

I think basically what I'm trying to say is Lobotomy Clive is a cùnt that shames the Arsenal jersey every time he puts it on. :censored: :D
The last line made me laugh :D . That is my view on Ramsdale. He does not fill me with the confidence that Seaman, Lukic, or Rimmer (not the Red Dwarf one)did and would not be in my top five Arsenal keepers but he does appear to be a big part of a team spirit that I have not seen in an Arsenal side for years. He reminds me a bit of a younger version of Mad Lens.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:47 pm

You’re completely safe with that last sentence my friend...no one with even half a brain is going to accuse you of disloyalty for that comment. :barscarf:

Your main point is also valid. Quite why questioning a player is some form of heresy, I’ve no idea.

At no point have I given Ramsdale dog’s abuse or cunted him off in any way. What I’ve done is raise genuine concerns about aspects of his goalkeeping, concerns that others clearly share. He’s a shot stopper for sure, but flaps horribly at crosses, lingers with the ball at his feet and gets caught in possession, is occasionally prone to passing the ball straight to the opposition and has a generally chaotic nature that means I sit there waiting for the changer to be dropped.

Others might think he’s God’s gift to goalkeeping, a view to which they’re perfectly entitled, but their odd sensitivity to any questioning of the bloke, suggests they aren’t too confident about their opinion.

Let’s hope the guy helps win us the league. I’ll be the first one cheering when nut flush reminds me.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3124570

Got Save of the mont :barscarf: :barscarf:

For the stop v Bournemouth

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:12 pm
https://www.premierleague.com/news/3124570

Got Save of the month :barscarf: :barscarf:

For the stop v Bournemouth
Aaron Ramsdale’s outstanding stop against Bournemouth has been awarded the Premier League’s Save of the Month for March.

Arsenal's No1 came out on top to beat Leeds United's Ilian Meslier, Jose Sa of Wolves, West Ham United’s Alphonse Areola, Tottenham keeper Fraser Forster and Brentford's David Raya.

It is the first time one of the club's shot-stoppers has picked up the prize, having been introduced at the start of this campaign, and means Mikel Arteta's side have won three of the four available monthly awards this time around after we won all four of our matches in March.

Aaron's big moment came in the 21st minute of the epic encounter against the Cherries. With us already trailing 1-0, a swift counter-attack saw Philip Billing break forward and centre for Dango Ouattara to seemingly tuck the ball into the net, but Rambo made himself big and managed to get a hand to his effort, and keep us in contention.

That would prove crucial as we ultimately went on to win 3-2, with Reiss Nelson netting the winner seven minutes into stoppage-time.

Speaking about his award, he said: "I'm very pleased, there's been a few months where I've been nominated and better saves have won to be fair, but the save enabled us to stay in the game and eventually win it.

"We do quite a lot of work with our goalkeeping coaches doing spreads and one v ones. The ball came across the box and Dom Solanke couldn't get on it, and the winger took it first time. I knew I needed to get on the end of it, and it managed to hit me on the forearm so it was a nice save.

"It's probably better than what it was given the timing in the game. We were 1-0 down and if it went to 2-0 it would have been difficult.

"With what happened with Reiss and the comeback heightens the save even more, so it was a pivotal moment in the game."

nut flush gooner

This thread is truly comical. In the Villa, Bournemouth, and yesterdays game now yesterday there were saves that Ramsdale made that either kept us in the game or won the points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peI_IuJ ... erentKnock

Good technical analysis here.

Think it's time to close the thread!

The same applies with Xhaka, who has consistently been one of our best players this season. He has totally re-invented himself in the number 8. No silly tackles, no yellow/red cards. Just solid all-round performances with goals/assists now added to his game.