Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

Post by SteveO 35 »

Not sure if it was a foul or not - probably in seasons gone by it would be, but there seems to be a desire to let things pass at the moment

What I would say in this instance is that Ramsdale's defenders were more to blame - just watch most opposition centre halves when any of ours try to get near their keeper. They are normally wrenched away and the ref spots it. I'm afraid we just their bloke block Ramsdale unchallenged, and we will need to toughen up a bit more in those situations and offer the lad some protection

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:46 am
Redarmy wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:45 am
xisstential wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:23 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:33 pm
gooner265 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:18 pm
Should have kept Martinez ......
HEEYYYY!! I knew it would be you or Nos89. I think he was showing that he still wants to play for the Arsenal.

First goal, bad fuck up, second goal, nowhere near as bad as being made out. Had he got nowhere near the ball, there'd have been no complaints, but the fact he managed to get across and get half a hand on it, when it was already behind him, made him a target.

What did you make of Ramsdale for their goal...wasn't great was it?
I don't think the Villa player did anything wrong....he boxed Ramsdale in, he wasn't holding him, he got tight to him and then just stood his ground. Somebody should have come to Ramsdale's aid, stood in front of the Villa player. Instead Ramsdale looked like his feet had been nailed to the ground on the goal line and all he had in front of the villa player were his arms. At below mid chest height......comical. He couldn't come out off his line because he was so completely boxed in. I thought, watching it, why doesn't he step into the goal and come around in front of the player that way. As I said, he looked like he was nailed to the ground.
It was a very unproffessional goal to concede....could have been easily avoided... as A11M11 said just a man on the post would have done...........if a keeper pushes back before the corner refs normally tell them to seperate, or have a word with striker....i wonder what the ref would have given if it was at anfield?
Clearly a foul on Ramsdale. The villa player grabbed and pulled down on Ramsdale's shirt. I would be very unhappy if Ramsdale let those two goals in like Martinez did. Especially, the second one. But ain't complaining as it was a winning goal for us. That's all I care about. The result.
Agree totally....we just won 5 on the trot....delighted with that :D :D :D

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:55 am
Not sure if it was a foul or not - probably in seasons gone by it would be, but there seems to be a desire to let things pass at the moment

What I would say in this instance is that Ramsdale's defenders were more to blame - just watch most opposition centre halves when any of ours try to get near their keeper. They are normally wrenched away and the ref spots it. I'm afraid we just their bloke block Ramsdale unchallenged, and we will need to toughen up a bit more in those situations and offer the lad some protection

We want free kicks when we perceive our players to be victims, but then bemoan the fact that there are too many soft free's in todays game when we are the aggressor :roll: Like others have said already, we have scored from similar situations so cant be crying bitches looking for free kick when the boot is on the other foot now - I was going mad at the tv at the time cos it kept showing replay from one angle only and I wanted to see the angle from behind the keeper, but having done so now I have to say that I wouldnt have given a free there either. For a bare second he had his arm wrapped around ramsdale but that was it imo - if ramsdale wants a free for that (and tbf he didnt really argue over it), then he has to do a better job selling it to the referee. He in no way gets a free pass on it for me because he allowed himself to be pinned too easily, PLUS it is his job to organise the defenders around him

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Ramsdale could just as easily have have employed the Lehman method.........grab the player by the hair and fling him through the back of the net and into the crowd.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

xisstential wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:04 pm
Ramsdale could just as easily have have employed the Lehman method.........grab the player by the hair and fling him through the back of the net and into the crowd.
This I agree with 🤣🤣 non of this passive aggressive shit!

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

gooner265 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:05 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:33 pm
gooner265 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:18 pm
Should have kept Martinez ......
HEEYYYY!! I knew it would be you or Nos89. I think he was showing that he still wants to play for the Arsenal.

First goal, bad fuck up, second goal, nowhere near as bad as being made out. Had he got nowhere near the ball, there'd have been no complaints, but the fact he managed to get across and get half a hand on it, when it was already behind him, made him a target.

What did you make of Ramsdale for their goal...wasn't great was it?
:lol: , come on I wasnt gonna miss that opportunity. To be fair I thought the criticism for the second was harsh , it was a great finish and done well to get a hand to it.
As for Rambo he needs more protection tgere with a man on the near post but he'll learn from that , he took no shit on the following corner.

:lol: :lol: Fair enough 265.

I've said on another thread that perhaps I've changed my opinion on he goals Martinez conceded. The first looked a real howler, but the cross took quite a deflection after Emi was already on the move and shovelling it away was possibly the best he could manage. with the second goal, like you, I originally thought he did well to get a hand on the ball at all, but seeing it again, maybe he could have done better. Dunno...it's all so easy from a seat.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

An unsettled performance against United. Maybe, he could've got himself set better for the first and made himself more imposing for the second. World class goalkeepers make the forward work harder in one on one situations. I think he made it too easy for Antony and rashford to pick their spot. Not the best game.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:16 pm
An unsettled performance against United. Maybe, he could've got himself set better for the first and made himself more imposing for the second. World class goalkeepers make the forward work harder in one on one situations. I think he made it too easy for Antony and rashford to pick their spot. Not the best game.

A left footed player cutting in like antony was is always gonna curl it to the far corner, yet ramsdale covered his near post :shock: :shock: Tbh it was a manu fan who plays in goals himself for his local club side that pointed out to me that every thing ramsdale did for first goal was wrong.

For the second goal he must have been sitting on goal line when the ball was played through, cos rashford had to run some to get to it, and ramsdale still wasnt within 20 yards of him when he got to the ball. If the defence is playing a high line then the keeper has to have a high starting position

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:28 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:16 pm

A left footed player cutting in like antony was is always gonna curl it to the far corner, yet ramsdale covered his near post :shock: :shock: Tbh it was a manu fan who plays in goals himself for his local club side that pointed out to me that every thing ramsdale did for first goal was wrong.

For the second goal he must have been sitting on goal line when the ball was played through, cos rashford had to run some to get to it, and ramsdale still wasnt within 20 yards of him when he got to the ball. If the defence is playing a high line then the keeper has to have a high starting position

I never played in goal, but I was saying exactly this...far too close to the near post. Keep saying it, his positioning and decision making is iffy. At best he's a reaction shot saver, but as much as that's a nice gift to have, it's a far less called upon discipline than than the everyday goalkeeper skills. Get your positioning right and know when to come and when to stay and you'll have to make fewer spectacular saves. Jennings was a master of this. Ever noticed how so many shots seem to fly straight at the top keepers?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Didn't Ramsdale let one in at the near post last week or the week before. I think that stuck with him and he was overcompensating which is a sign of inexperience. It's a very poor and basic mistake to make. There are basic things drilled into all keepers about positioning and movement and body position. The best top tier keepers find that stuff instinctive after years of coaching. The second tier and lower of keepers have to try remember it and by then it's often too late. Maybe Ramsdale is either not as good as we all thought and hoped or he is still in that learning phase.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

As was Seaman, I stood behind him on the North bank for years . his positioning was his asset although he did have the spectacular in his locker too.
Then again Ramsdale is only 24 , young for a keeper.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:28 pm
A left footed player cutting in like antony was is always gonna curl it to the far corner, yet ramsdale covered his near post :shock: :shock:
Yeah, very odd decision. Looked all day long like he was going to curl it into the far corner because they almost always do from that position.

I wonder if Anthony gave Ramsdale the eyes? That’s the only reason I can think Ramsdale would dive the wrong way :rubchin:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:21 pm
Didn't Ramsdale let one in at the near post last week or the week before. I think that stuck with him and he was overcompensating
Yeah possibly, or Antony gave him the eyes and he fell for it? Either way, looked an odd decision given that 99% of the time that shot it being curled into the far corner and he’ll know that for sure.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:21 pm
Didn't Ramsdale let one in at the near post last week or the week before. I think that stuck with him and he was overcompensating which is a sign of inexperience. It's a very poor and basic mistake to make. There are basic things drilled into all keepers about positioning and movement and body position. The best top tier keepers find that stuff instinctive after years of coaching. The second tier and lower of keepers have to try remember it and by then it's often too late. Maybe Ramsdale is either not as good as we all thought and hoped or he is still in that learning phase.
My concern is he isnt being coached properly after his dip in form last year it seems to have rolled over into this season. He was flying when he first arrived , maybe some of that previous coaching has been coached out if him with our one , didnt he after all tecommend Runaarson?

He a kid still in goalkeeping terms and the next few years are crucial in coaching and developing terms and im not sure he has the right people to take him on that journey.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Think Ramsdale will go to the world cup. Although, I rate Pope I think his performance against Germany was awful in such a big game.