Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Retro Gunner

Re: Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:56 am
Step wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:45 pm
Arteta simply trying to be too clever. As noted in the first post on this thread all Gooners knew Martinez was better than Leno . All bar Arteta that is. Ramsdale needs a run in the team as Raya has not cemented it yet. Playing out from the back supposedly his strong point but he seems worse than Ramsdale in this respect. Also felt Arteta was wrong to keep Nketiah and let Balogoun go. Not convinced at all by Arteta 9n case you haven't guessed!!

No I dont agree with that at all - its the old adage that you are somehow a better player when you are not playing, and the same thing is happening all over again with ramsdale and raya. Martinez had a decade to establish himself at AFC and couldnt do it, and went on loan several times and didnt impress any club to come in and bid for him - he had a golden spell during covid (with empty stadiums) but even since he joined villa some of the mistakes he has made and goals he has conceded have been woeful. Not one of the 4 keepers mentioned are good enough imo

I go back to an earlier point I made, and that is that as soon as keepers started to be judged by how good they are with the ball at their feet, then football went down a slippy/wrong path - look around europe and try and figure out how many quality keepers there are in the modern football world, and I will guarantee you that you will struggle to name half a dozen. There are keepers who are great shot stoppers and can command their area on crosses, but are average/poor with the ball at their feet and fans will jump on their back everytime they make a mistake - my philosophy on management is that managers should try play a system that suits the players best, but trying to force a system where a keeper is expected to be like chippy brady with the ball at his feet is destined to fail imo

I agree with most of that augie, but not the part about Martinez. I know we won’t agree about the bloke, because we’ve been down this road before, but he was exceptional in those 13 or so games for us. In fact (and I’m not particularly one for stats) but during that spell his opta stats were significantly better than any other PL keeper, including the City and Liverpool ones.

It does seem odd that he’d been at the club for so long and made no impression…I genuinely knew nothing about him but his name…but when he came in for Leno he was a revelation. At last we had a keeper that commanded his area, calmed the defence and actually caught the ball, apart from making great saves. At the very least he had earned the chance to start the new season as number 1, but Arteta thought he knew best and kept Leno and sold Martinez…only to then discard Leno months later.

Not sure how you reach your judgement of him at Villa, because he’s performed very well and the fans love him. I can think of a couple of gaffs from a couple of seasons ago, but that’s all, but he’s made no end of cracking saves that would end up in the net against our keepers.

All that said, you’re bang on about the modern idea of judging keepers with the ball at their feet. Their job first and foremost is to keep the ball out of the net, to command their area and organise the defence. If they can play a bit, then all well and good, but it shouldn’t be the priority imo.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal will not let Chelsea-linked goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale leave in January, reports @footyinsider247.

- Arteta 'unwilling' to sell
- Even if #Ramsdale believes leaving is 'for the best', #AFC 'will not sanction an exit'

Midz

Post by Midz »

Good.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Martinez pissed all over Butter Wrists Leno.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

It would be typical Arsenal that we sell Ramsdale to a rival,especially them orrible no marque c unts Chelsea,and he goes on to have a stirling career as Englands number one for a decade and we keep Spains number 7 goalkeeper,how fucking embarrassing from Arteta but all his own doing,it’ll be fucking sickening if we let him go to anyone

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:39 pm
Martinez pissed all over Butter Wrists Leno.
I concur wholeheartedly 😎 Played as big a part in our last cup win as Aubameyang

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

robbo10 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:06 am
It would be typical Arsenal that we sell Ramsdale to a rival,especially them orrible no marque c unts Chelsea,and he goes on to have a stirling career as Englands number one for a decade and we keep Spains number 7 goalkeeper,how fucking embarrassing from Arteta but all his own doing,it’ll be fucking sickening if we let him go to anyone
It's the kind of thing helmet hair would do though.What I've witnessed of Raya so far he is shite,utter shite..He's got all the composure of a spotty 14 yr old at a school disco ffs :cry:

augie

Post by augie »

I seen on one of the sunday papers the senile old french cock has made comments about rotating keepers not working (we ain rotating them anyway :roll: ) and he backed ramsdale to win his spot back - I'm sure el basque will be delighted to have his judgement undermined by le cock like that :lol: :lol:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

augie wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:11 pm
I seen on one of the sunday papers the senile old french cock has made comments about rotating keepers not working (we ain rotating them anyway :roll: ) and he backed ramsdale to win his spot back - I'm sure el basque will be delighted to have his judgement undermined by le cock like that :lol: :lol:
If nothing else it might mean Wenkers invite to be technicial director or what not will not be happening any time soon 🤞👍🏻

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
He was on with hairy hands and Gray yesterday and said something I can’t believe hasn’t gotten more media attention.

They showed an interview with Rice and then asked Arsene about him not having that type of money to spend when he was manager (didn’t he say he’d hand it back? :roll: ) - anyway between all the blowing smoke up his arse Wenger let slip that having 2 majority shareholders at the time meant that money wasn’t forthcoming from the Kroenkes because of fears on their side that it would increase the valuation of Usmanov’s 30% share.

So basically admitting that Kroenke allowed us tank on the pitch so it would be cheaper to buy out Usmanov :shock:

Can’t believe there hasn’t been more made of that revelation.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:48 pm
augie wrote:
He was on with hairy hands and Gray yesterday and said something I can’t believe hasn’t gotten more media attention.

They showed an interview with Rice and then asked Arsene about him not having that type of money to spend when he was manager (didn’t he say he’d hand it back? :roll: ) - anyway between all the blowing smoke up his arse Wenger let slip that having 2 majority shareholders at the time meant that money wasn’t forthcoming from the Kroenkes because of fears on their side that it would increase the valuation of Usmanov’s 30% share.

So basically admitting that Kroenke allowed us tank on the pitch so it would be cheaper to buy out Usmanov :shock:

Great business decision eh ?

As fans we should hope for relegation as ticket prices may be cheaper and easier to obtain going by that logic

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
augie wrote:

We must be overdue seeing the photo of the fat fcuk screaming out his crap at the anti usmanov march :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
augie wrote:

Probably the case that nothing is being made of it is because it was Wenger saying it. The man never once in his career held his hand up and said "yeah I fucked that up, all my fault". No, it was always someone else's fault. Just my thinking on it anyway....

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:11 pm
rodders999 wrote:
augie wrote:

Probably the case that nothing is being made of it is because it was Wenger saying it. The man never once in his career held his hand up and said "yeah I fucked that up, all my fault". No, it was always someone else's fault. Just my thinking on it anyway....

Absolutely this. I dislike the Kroenkes as much as anyone, but while this may well be true, I don't put any store by anything that Wenger comes out with. He would have been party to any conniving that the Kroenkes were up to and he obviously didn't have the moral fibre to expose it and walk away at the time. The greedy old fucker sold us out even before the Kroenkes bought the club and took his millions every year while knowingly managing our decline.

I detest the man. A self seeking, narcissistic , lying old fucker.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:23 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:11 pm
rodders999 wrote:
augie wrote:

Absolutely this. I dislike the Kroenkes as much as anyone, but while this may well be true, I don't put any store by anything that Wenger comes out with. He would have been party to any conniving that the Kroenkes were up to and he obviously didn't have the moral fibre to expose it and walk away at the time. The greedy old fucker sold us out even before the Kroenkes bought the club and took his millions every year while knowingly managing our decline.

I detest the man. A self seeking, narcissistic , lying old fucker.
Wenger would stand up at the Nuremberg Trials in front of 1000 witness and deny it was him,he put this club back a decade in the end