Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

Post by OneBardGooner »

Sounds like He May Be "Clearing The Decks" all in one fell swoop.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66394989

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

To me Ramsdale has a touch of the Joe Hart about him he is always playing to the crowd. He always has a mistake in his locker.Cant see him lasting as soon as Raya signs

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:51 pm
Sounds like He May Be "Clearing The Decks" all in one fell swoop.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66394989
So Ramsdales brother is gay......aaannnnnnd this has got what to do stopping the ball going past you into the net??

Honestly if hes going to turn into another Heccy B with every muppet cause being supported while performances on the pitch are shite....he can sling his hook now.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I agree he has made some worrying errors, but he has also saved our bacon when other players have made mistakes and put us under threat of conceding goals, he has made some truly remarkable saves but because Goalkeepers are meant to make saves; it is part of what they are there to do and why they are in that position, but even including the errors has has made he still more than balances those out with the saves he has made and so kept us in games.

It just seems like the knives are out for him on this forum from some and they seize upon every and any little thing to stick the knife in.

There is never going to be a goal keeper who doesn't make errors. They don't do it on purpose and whilst he is still to be at his best level and do so with consistency I still think he deserves our support, at least till he starts costing us games & points rather than contributing to the wins.

augie

Post by augie »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:33 am
I agree he has made some worrying errors, but he has also saved our bacon when other players have made mistakes and put us under threat of conceding goals, he has made some truly remarkable saves but because Goalkeepers are meant to make saves; it is part of what they are there to do and why they are in that position, but even including the errors has has made he still more than balances those out with the saves he has made and so kept us in games.

It just seems like the knives are out for him on this forum from some and they seize upon every and any little thing to stick the knife in.

There is never going to be a goal keeper who doesn't make errors. They don't do it on purpose and whilst he is still to be at his best level and do so with consistency I still think he deserves our support, at least till he starts costing us games & points rather than contributing to the wins.

I dont think that the knives are out for him at all - most fans would acknowledge he made some huge saves at times last season, but the key component of a great keeper is consistancy, and imo ramsdale is too up and down to be a great keeper. Upgrading him wouldnt be my priority, but I do think that we can do better - again keeping both should not be an option imo

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

augie wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:26 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:

I dont think that the knives are out for him at all - most fans would acknowledge he made some huge saves at times last season, but the key component of a great keeper is consistancy, and imo ramsdale is too up and down to be a great keeper. Upgrading him wouldnt be my priority, but I do think that we can do better - again keeping both should not be an option imo
Well Augie, some of the comments on here regarding his speaking publicly about wife having a miscarriage being interpreted as him making excuses Or him seeking favour in the eyes of fans when there's a chance we'll sign another keeper is just that - Pathetic is what I'd call it. Still there will always be people who aren't happy unless they are being negative or saying accusatory things about others, if that's what makes them happy then that is just sad. But Hey! Ho that's humans for you.

btw: I agree I think our priorities should lie elsewhere in terms of new signings - A striker and / or a right winger (to give Saka some competition - preferably a player who could possible play in both roles / positions). The attempt/s to sign Raya have come out of the blue so maybe something is going on internally with regards our Goal Keeping situation, it is well known that Turner isn't happy being no 2. but there is just no way he is good enough for the no. 1 spot. Seems like a nice chap from his interviews but the few times he did play never filled me with any confidence.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

augie wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

A keeper who is capable of outstanding saves, yet also has a monumental cock up in his locker…

For now I would say his positive contribution to the team outweighs the negatives, but, if we do sign Raya it will either push him on to achieve greater consistency or he will get ousted for the no 1 position and stay the inconsistent enigma, potentially not going on to claim the England jersey permanently either, which would be a shame as he has the potential.

I agree with Retro’s ascertain that he remains vulnerable at set pieces, corners, so if Raya excelled in this department ( I have no idea ) then Raya may well strengthen the team dynamics enough to warrant the number 1.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:13 pm
augie wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Well Augie, some of the comments on here regarding his speaking publicly about wife having a miscarriage being interpreted as him making excuses Or him seeking favour in the eyes of fans when there's a chance we'll sign another keeper is just that - Pathetic is what I'd call it. Still there will always be people who aren't happy unless they are being negative or saying accusatory things about others, if that's what makes them happy then that is just sad. But Hey! Ho that's humans for you.

btw: I agree I think our priorities should lie elsewhere in terms of new signings - A striker and / or a right winger (to give Saka some competition - preferably a player who could possible play in both roles / positions). The attempt/s to sign Raya have come out of the blue so maybe something is going on internally with regards our Goal Keeping situation, it is well known that Turner isn't happy being no 2. but there is just no way he is good enough for the no. 1 spot. Seems like a nice chap from his interviews but the few times he did play never filled me with any confidence.
So it’s just pure coincidence that he’s just revealed this deeply personal news that no-one needed to know right around the time we are heavily linked to a new goalkeeper, which would likely replace him? If he felt it justifiable to explain some poor performances to the fans (which no-one asked or demanded of him) then why not do it at the end of the season? Why wait until the links with a new ‘keeper?

And again, if it is clouding his judgement or his mental health - which I could understand, it’s not easy on anyone, so I wouldn’t expect a professional footballer to be immune from grief-related mental health issues - then we should still look to get in a goalkeeper who could benefit the team, until such a time Ramsdale is able to fully help us again. It’s not about pulling the knives out for the lad, I don’t think he’s bad at all. I just don’t think he’s at the level we need (yet) to push for the title. Last season he made some amazing saves, point saving or game winning saves, but his was also part of the problem at the end of last year, too. Call it what you like, but I don’t think pulling out a personal card MONTHS after it happened is a good look.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:48 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
augie wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

So it’s just pure coincidence that he’s just revealed this deeply personal news that no-one needed to know right around the time we are heavily linked to a new goalkeeper, which would likely replace him? If he felt it justifiable to explain some poor performances to the fans (which no-one asked or demanded of him) then why not do it at the end of the season? Why wait until the links with a new ‘keeper?

And again, if it is clouding his judgement or his mental health - which I could understand, it’s not easy on anyone, so I wouldn’t expect a professional footballer to be immune from grief-related mental health issues - then we should still look to get in a goalkeeper who could benefit the team, until such a time Ramsdale is able to fully help us again. It’s not about pulling the knives out for the lad, I don’t think he’s bad at all. I just don’t think he’s at the level we need (yet) to push for the title. Last season he made some amazing saves, point saving or game winning saves, but his was also part of the problem at the end of last year, too. Call it what you like, but I don’t think pulling out a personal card MONTHS after it happened is a good look.
Maybe he feels he is not quite right mentally at the moment and has spoken with Arteta ?
Arteta May feel taking him out of the firing line will benefit him and getting Raya doesn’t drop us down a level ( Which Turner would have been )

??

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

I only posted a small section of his interview ,this particular section was towards the end of his interview, previous section was in relation to the time leading up to his signing for Arsenal. The miscarriage was only part of his interview

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:14 pm
I only posted a small section of his interview ,this particular section was towards the end of his interview, previous section was in relation to the time leading up to his signing for Arsenal. The miscarriage was only part of his interview

But regardless of what percentage of the interview was about the mis-carraige, he still CHOSE to bring it up at a time when his position is less than secure, and that doesnt read well imo. He has had months to reveal this news and hasnt done so, and that leads to the why now question ? The only thing that has changed is that we are supposedly trying to buy a new keeper, so it isnt ridiculous to link the two events.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

IF we sign Raya, he has to be first choice. Paying 30 million pounds or more for another keeper just to keep the incumbent on their toes makes no sense. I'm not even sure City would be so indulgent. I'm sure Newcastle, United and Liverpool wouldn't. Sure, Chelsea have done it - but they are just bloody fools with money.
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Midz

Post by Midz »

https://metro.co.uk/2023/08/04/arsenal- ... -fc_item-0

This is quite a good write up from Merson about Ramsdale.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:00 pm
Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:48 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
augie wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Maybe he feels he is not quite right mentally at the moment and has spoken with Arteta ?
Arteta May feel taking him out of the firing line will benefit him and getting Raya doesn’t drop us down a level ( Which Turner would have been )

??
Good thinking Stuart! :high5: and all that! :lol: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Midz wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:49 pm
https://metro.co.uk/2023/08/04/arsenal- ... -fc_item-0

This is quite a good write up from Merson about Ramsdale.
Sounds interesting.

I guess all will be revealed When / If we do sign Raya.