Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:41 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:49 am
That save yesterday when Bournemouth was one up with 2 players clean through on goal was breathtaking.

Absolutely vital save. The save in the second half when their guy shot from a very acute angle was also important. Not so good was the pass straight to one of their players in the second half, but he's improving of late. His shot stopping was never in question (although the ball can fly anywhere off him at times), but it's his decision making, judgement and flapping at crosses that is the issue.

I find it strange that posters on here will harshly judge any player in the squad, some on the basis of one poor game amongst many decent ones, but Ramsdale seems to be off limits to a lot of you. He's far from the finished article and as much as I'd like him to become the best keeper in the league, I won't be deluding myself that he's already there.

You mean in the way you actually put a Negative Slant on the thread's title... and so pre-judge Ramsdale by reference....

I agree he is most definitely Not the 'Finished Article' but has all the makings and Potential to be a World Class keeper.

It is not that Ramsdale is 'off limits' :roll: Because as and when he makes mistakes he will get his fare share of criticism; even though Goal Keepers in general (not just Ramsdale) are easy targets, because when a Goalie makes a mistake it can cost the game, when an outfield player ie: a striker makes a mistake by missing a glaring chance they get criticised, but most likely will get a chance to save themselves from said criticism by scoring the next chance (sometimes). And so Goalies are that rare breed whose mistakes get highlighted more than the remaining positions.

Ramsdale made two brilliant Saves yesterday to (literally) keep us in the game, allowing the outfield players to go and Win the game.

You keep banging on about Martinez ( who has had some fine games and made some excellent saves; when with Arsenal and since, but he is an for me he doesn't have the kind of personality (and that counts a lot in a 'Team' environment)he showed an utter lack of Presence and class during his behaviour after the WC Win, also since leaving Arsenal; the club that paid his wages for 12 (?) years all he has done is Snipe at The Club and Team. And that alone simply demonstrates what a Classless, Obnoxious Prick he is as a person, regardless of his skills as a GK.

Opinions will always differ, but your posts always seem to be looking for ways to 'twist' what others say to try and make out you are right.

I believe that Ramsdale is a better option as a goalie for Arsenal than Martinez.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:04 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
That save yesterday when Bournemouth was one up with 2 players clean through on goal was breathtaking.

Absolutely vital save. The save in the second half when their guy shot from a very acute angle was also important. Not so good was the pass straight to one of their players in the second half, but he's improving of late. His shot stopping was never in question (although the ball can fly anywhere off him at times), but it's his decision making, judgement and flapping at crosses that is the issue.

I find it strange that posters on here will harshly judge any player in the squad, some on the basis of one poor game amongst many decent ones, but Ramsdale seems to be off limits to a lot of you. He's far from the finished article and as much as I'd like him to become the best keeper in the league, I won't be deluding myself that he's already there.

You mean in the way you actually put a Negative Slant on the thread's title... and so pre-judge Ramsdale by reference....

I agree he is most definitely Not the 'Finished Article' but has all the makings and Potential to be a World Class keeper.

It is not that Ramsdale is 'off limits' :roll: Because as and when he makes mistakes he will get his fare share of criticism; even though Goal Keepers in general (not just Ramsdale) are easy targets, because when a Goalie makes a mistake it can cost the game, when an outfield player ie: a striker makes a mistake by missing a glaring chance they get criticised, but most likely will get a chance to save themselves from said criticism by scoring the next chance (sometimes). And so Goalies are that rare breed whose mistakes get highlighted more than the remaining positions.

Ramsdale made two brilliant Saves yesterday to (literally) keep us in the game, allowing the outfield players to go and Win the game.

You keep banging on about Martinez ( who has had some fine games and made some excellent saves; when with Arsenal and since, but he is an for me he doesn't have the kind of personality (and that counts a lot in a 'Team' environment)he showed an utter lack of Presence and class during his behaviour after the WC Win, also since leaving Arsenal; the club that paid his wages for 12 (?) years all he has done is Snipe at The Club and Team. And that alone simply demonstrates what a Classless, Obnoxious Prick he is as a person, regardless of his skills as a GK.

Opinions will always differ, but your posts always seem to be looking for ways to 'twist' what others say to try and make out you are right.

I believe that Ramsdale is a better option as a goalie for Arsenal than Martinez.

Ok, one by one:

1. The title expresses my concerns about Ramsdale. Perfectly valid. Should I have headed it up "The Wonderful Aaron" and then proceeded to raise my doubts about him?

2. Not the finished article...good, we agree on that.

3. Indeed, it's because goalkeeping errors are potentially so costly, that you need a keeper that makes as few as possible. No one expects a keeper to never fuck up, but neither do that expect to sit there waiting for the inevitable cock up every game. That's how Ramsdale makes me feel and particularly last season and earlier this season. He doesn't exude calm assurance which ideally would transmit to teammates and supporters. He played well yesterday, but still made the bad fuck up in the second half, by playing the ball straight to an opposition player in our final third. For all the shot stopping, that's the tendency that worries me.

3. I don't "bang on" about Martinez. I've stated that I think he is a better keeper than Ramsdale. You're the one that's been bringing Martinez up constantly in recent weeks. As for Martinez's character, that's fuck all to do with his ability, unless it impacts his teammates and I've seen no evidence of that. While I thought that he acted like a total prat after the WC win, he'd shown no signs of that when I started this thread at the start of the season. Again, not that acting lie a prat affects his ability as a keeper. Not sure about his sniping at the Arsenal, you'll have to show me that.

4. Yep, opinions differ. I don't twist what what anyone says, although I might challenge what they say. Sorry that I'm always right.

5. You are more than entitled to your opinion. I hope you turn out to be right.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:35 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Ok, one by one:

1. The title expresses my concerns about Ramsdale. Perfectly valid. Should I have headed it up "The Wonderful Aaron" and then proceeded to raise my doubts about him?

3. Indeed, it's because goalkeeping errors are potentially so costly, that you need a keeper that makes as few as possible. No one expects a keeper to never fuck up, but neither do that expect to sit there waiting for the inevitable cock up every game. That's how Ramsdale makes me feel and particularly last season and earlier this season. He doesn't exude calm assurance which ideally would transmit to teammates and supporters. He played well yesterday, but still made the bad fuck up in the second half, by playing the ball straight to an opposition player in our final third. For all the shot stopping, that's the tendency that worries me.

3. I don't "bang on" about Martinez. I've stated that I think he is a better keeper than Ramsdale. You're the one that's been bringing Martinez up constantly in recent weeks. As for Martinez's character, that's fuck all to do with his ability, unless it impacts his teammates and I've seen no evidence of that. While I thought that he acted like a total prat after the WC win, he'd shown no signs of that when I started this thread at the start of the season. Again, not that acting lie a prat affects his ability as a keeper. Not sure about his sniping at the Arsenal, you'll have to show me that.

4. Yep, opinions differ. I don't twist what what anyone says, although I might challenge what they say. Sorry that I'm always right.

Most titles for threads "Welcoming" new players start along there lines of "Welcome etc"

Of course a players character has to do with his ability - It's called Player/Team Spirit and Camaraderie

Glad you can Admit Martinez is a Prick/Pratt - Both descriptions are perfectly applicable.

The reason I have cited martinez is because you offered him as an example of being better than Ramsdale

IThere are a number of posters on here (DB being one of them) that pointed out how he has been sniping and (verbally) having a go at Arsenal since he left - Hence the way Gooners reacted to his own goal from Jorginho's shot at goal in the 2 - 4 away win. I do not have to 'show you anything' but if you go back through your own thread you'll see.

Again opinions are opinions and it is my opinion your words are an attempt to twist what others say.

As for you always being right... That doesn't add up considering some of your posts on Match Day Threads and your inability to admit the thread title instead of welcoming Ramsdale you choose to take a negative slant,. Why don't you do that with all the other players you have 'Concerns' about?

There is already one of xhaka/clive, so no need to start one on him.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:20 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Ok, one by one:

Most titles for threads "Welcoming" new players start along there lines of "Welcome etc"

Of course a players character has to do with his ability - It's called Player/Team Spirit and Camaraderie

Glad you can Admit Martinez is a Prick/Pratt - Both descriptions are perfectly applicable.

The reason I have cited martinez is because you offered him as an example of being better than Ramsdale

IThere are a number of posters on here (DB being one of them) that pointed out how he has been sniping and (verbally) having a go at Arsenal since he left - Hence the way Gooners reacted to his own goal from Jorginho's shot at goal in the 2 - 4 away win. I do not have to 'show you anything' but if you go back through your own thread you'll see.

Again opinions are opinions and it is my opinion your words are an attempt to twist what others say.

As for you always being right... That doesn't add up considering some of your posts on Match Day Threads and your inability to admit the thread title instead of welcoming Ramsdale you choose to take a negative slant,. Why don't you do that with all the other players you have 'Concerns' about?

Haven't been on here all week, so just seen this :lol: :lol: .

Are you ok mate? Aaron isn't your love child or something, is he? Not sure I've come across someone being so irrationally sensitive about a player on this forum before.

What are you on about with the "welcome" comment? He wasn't a new player when I posted this thread, he'd been playing for us for over a year, so had probably played in the region of 50 games for us. Very odd comment.

As for Martinez's character, I've seen zero evidence that his teammates at either Villa, or Argentina have a problem with him...quite the opposite in fact, because he seems very popular. I'm also not aware of anything negative when he was with the Arsenal. By the way, the Villa supporters have also taken to him, because they voted him their player of the season last year. For what it's worth, I said he behaved like a prat after the World Cup win, I didn't call him a "prick". Yes, I think he's currently a better keeper than Ramsdale, but the thread is about Ramsdale, not Martinez.

As for Martinez sniping at the Arsenal and my "twisting" people's arguments, they are your accusations, so it's down to you to provide evidence. Your comments are opinions, as you say, but they're groundless unless you back them up.

You'll notice, despite your odd sensitivity, that I don't start cunting Ramsdale off, I simply explain why he worries me, without extreme abuse. No irrational ranting, just my observations. In fact, my feelings about Xhaka are well documented on this forum, but again, I don't give him dog's abuse and call him a c.unt or hope he gets injured. I don't hope any footballer gets a snapped leg, whether he plays for Arsenal, or not, Not everyone can say that can they?

Bottom line is, I really don't give a fuck if you think Ramsdale is Gordon Banks, Peter Shilton and Gigi Buffoon rolled into one. It's your opinion and you're entitled to it. You know what, similarly I'm entitled to have concerns about his ability and for me, he looks like there's a fuck up always looming. This is a football forum and the whole idea is to express opinions and discuss them. I've done that regarding Ramsdale and while I genuinely hope that he turns out to be a world class keeper, at the moment, he worries me. There's nothing extreme or irrational in that and if you object to my holding that opinion, well, that's your problem.

Up the Gunners.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I REALLY hope the cùnt Lobotomy Clive gets a snapped fucking leg. Any cùnt that tells his own team's fans to fuck off because he was acting the cùnt and then drops the race card, again on his own team's fans, as a privileged rich white footballer is a cùnt and deserves to bet fucking nailed. :censored: :censored: :censored:

Secondly, the cùnt getting injured is the only way Arteta will drop him and we can step up to the next level as a team. And yes the next level is the next level. :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:12 pm
I REALLY hope the cùnt Lobotomy Clive gets a snapped fucking leg. Any cùnt that tells his own team's fans to fuck off because he was acting the cùnt and then drops the race card, again on his own team's fans, as a privileged rich white footballer is a cùnt and deserves to bet fucking nailed. :censored: :censored: :censored:

Secondly, the cùnt getting injured is the only way Arteta will drop him and we can step up to the next level as a team. And yes the next level is the next level. :lol:

Please stop putting my moral stance to the test with these temptations.

:lol: :wink:
Last edited by Retro Gunner on Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:19 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

Ok, one by one:

Are you ok mate? Aaron isn't your love child or something, is he? Not sure I've come across someone being so irrationally sensitive about a player on this forum before.

What are you on about with the "welcome" comment? He wasn't a new player when I posted this thread, he'd been playing for us for over a year, so had probably played in the region of 50 games for us. Very odd comment.

As for Martinez's character, I've seen zero evidence that his teammates at either Villa, or Argentina have a problem with him...quite the opposite in fact, because he seems very popular. I'm also not aware of anything negative when he was with the Arsenal. By the way, the Villa supporters have also taken to him, because they voted him their player of the season last year. For what it's worth, I said he behaved like a prat after the World Cup win, I didn't call him a "prick". Yes, I think he's currently a better keeper than Ramsdale, but the thread is about Ramsdale, not Martinez.

As for Martinez sniping at the Arsenal and my "twisting" people's arguments, they are your accusations, so it's down to you to provide evidence. Your comments are opinions, as you say, but they're groundless unless you back them up.

You'll notice, despite your odd sensitivity, that I don't start cunting Ramsdale off, I simply explain why he worries me, without extreme abuse. No irrational ranting, just my observations. In fact, my feelings about Xhaka are well documented on this forum, but again, I don't give him dog's abuse and call him a c.unt or hope he gets injured. I don't hope any footballer gets a snapped leg, whether he plays for Arsenal, or not, Not everyone can say that can they?

Bottom line is, I really don't give a fuck if you think Ramsdale is Gordon Banks, Peter Shilton and Gigi Buffoon rolled into one. It's your opinion and you're entitled to it. You know what, similarly I'm entitled to have concerns about his ability and for me, he looks like there's a fuck up always looming. This is a football forum and the whole idea is to express opinions and discuss them. I've done that regarding Ramsdale and while I genuinely hope that he turns out to be a world class keeper, at the moment, he worries me. There's nothing extreme or irrational in that and if you object to my holding that opinion, well, that's your problem.

Up the Gunners.
You Have An Agenda Against Ramsdale, To Waste any more Time and Energy On Your Agenda is Pointless. Still Carry On Venting your Ego. I hope It Gives You Pleasure.

:yawn: :goingtobed:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:11 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Ok, one by one:

Up the Gunners.
You Have An Agenda Against Ramsdale, To Waste any more Time and Energy On Your Agenda is Pointless. Still Carry On Venting your Ego. I hope It Gives You Pleasure.

Goodnight. Sleep well.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

For what it's worth, Ramsdale has made some incredible saves, I would even go so far as to say a couple of his saves have kept us on top of the table. But his dicking around with the ball out his feet makes my palms sweat. I cannot believe he has not picked up the pace of the PL, the amount of times he has had to desperately scramble the ball away after pissing about with it at his feet. :? :shock: :oops:

As for Martinez, I couldn't believe what I was seeing at the WC, his behaviour was beyond awful because I kept remembering the guy who had 10 great games for us when Leno got injured and fell asleep clutching the FA Cup like a father with his baby son. He looked as grateful as all hell, like all his Christmases had come at once. I thought he was, and still is, a great keeper and a commanding presence. I have no idea where that awful attitude and arrogance suddenly came from.....and it started before the WC was even won.

And Xhaka is still crap. Viera looks lined up to replace him when Xhaka plays his final game in 2035.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

xisstential wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:15 pm
For what it's worth, Ramsdale has made some incredible saves, I would even go so far as to say a couple of his saves have kept us on top of the table. But his dicking around with the ball out his feet makes my palms sweat. I cannot believe he has not picked up the pace of the PL, the amount of times he has had to desperately scramble the ball away after pissing about with it at his feet. :? :shock: :oops:

As for Martinez, I couldn't believe what I was seeing at the WC, his behaviour was beyond awful because I kept remembering the guy who had 10 great games for us when Leno got injured and fell asleep clutching the FA Cup like a father with his baby son. He looked as grateful as all hell, like all his Christmases had come at once. I thought he was, and still is, a great keeper and a commanding presence. I have no idea where that awful attitude and arrogance suddenly came from.....and it started before the WC was even won.

And Xhaka is still crap. Viera looks lined up to replace him when Xhaka plays his final game in 2035.

He's a shot stopper, but in addition to his fannying about with the ball at his feet, his decision making is dodgy and he's very suspect on crosses. Flaps like a good 'un. There's a chaotic aspect to him, whereas you want your keeper to be reassuring and calm.

He reminds me of Pickford and that's not a compliment. A spectacular shot stopper, but an overriding sense of chaos and unpredictability.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:24 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

Ok, one by one:

Up the Gunners.

Goodnight. Sleep well.
You too! :D :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:40 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:24 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Up the Gunners.

Goodnight. Sleep well.
You too! :D :wink:
Superb MQT as the kids say! (Mega Quote Tower). :lol: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Yeah! Lego Got Fuck All On Me & Retro! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Ramsdale age 24, Martinez age 31.

Compare Ramsdale with Martinez when he reaches his early 30s. Martinez spent most of his 20s as a backup/third string goalkeeper for Arsenal.

Ramsdale this season has had some ropey games, but by the same token has made some absolute world class saves that has won us points. Aston Villa away and Bournemouth home spring to mind without even thinking.

Ramsdale as a squad personality is on a different level to Martinez. There is no question about that.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:17 am
Ramsdale age 24, Martinez age 31.

Compare Ramsdale with Martinez when he reaches his early 30s. Martinez spent most of his 20s as a backup/third string goalkeeper for Arsenal.

Ramsdale this season has had some ropey games, but by the same token has made some absolute world class saves that has won us points. Aston Villa away and Bournemouth home spring to mind without even thinking.

Ramsdale as a squad personality is on a different level to Martinez. There is no question about that.

I don’t care how old people are, my concerns are about the two or three heart stopping moments that Ramsdale gives me in almost every game. I don’t care if he’s 18 or 38, if he’s playing in goal for the Arsenal, then he has to be good enough.

The thread is about Ramsdale, not Martinez. Sure, I think Martinez is the better keeper and sure, I said we should have kept him as No. 1 and let Leno go if he wouldn’t sit on the bench (we let him go a year later anyway), but people are fixating on a Ramsdale / Martinez argument.

I couldn’t give a fuck if Martinez throws a couple in his own net every week, my concern is that the bloke in goal for Arsenal is good enough.

Fucking hard work this thread.