Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Retro Gunner

Re: Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

Post by Retro Gunner »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:33 pm
the playing mantis wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:27 pm

Would people swap invincibles for a CL?

I wouldn't.
I would, in a heartbeat.

The club the size of us is severely lacking in European silverware and prestige, and that side we had in 03/04 should have been PL/CL winners in the same season.

Agreed. I'd make that swap every day of the week.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:27 pm
They clealry when 2s up on someone dear to you DB to hold such bile towards 2 of our legends!!! Was it your good self?!

No blame for the swamp incident. That pikey cynt Keane and the ref (and joe lewis too probably...!)were in cahoots. How could it be a foul and penalty when the ball was not in play and whistle not blown? It can't. Plus he contributed big time to keeping us undefeated.

The CL blow mistake was unfortunate but the defenders take the blame for the chv one 2 imo.

Would people swap invincibles for a CL?

I wouldn't.

Tbh Mantis, whie I'm not as hard on Lehman as DB is, the bloke was his own worst enemy. Technically, he was a good a very good keeper, but his ridiculous temperament and his over-reaction to the slightest provocation, made him an obvious target. it was a nightmare watching him at set pieces, as the opposition players crowded all around him, stepping on his toes etc and it frustrated the life out of me, because he attracted all that attention himself and it put us under increased pressure.

As for the incident at the scum, as far as I've always been aware, it doesn't matter if the ball is in play or not (I was at the match, but can't remember if the ball was in play). I stand to be corrected, but I thought that even if the ball is dead, if you push someone over, the ref can award a free kick (in this case a penalty). Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you can be booked or sent off, but the game continues from the ball being dead. Used to know this shit, but unsure now. I'll wait for someone else to look the rules up. :lol:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:33 pm

As for the incident at the scum, as far as I've always been aware, it doesn't matter if the ball is in play or not (I was at the match but can't remember if the ball was in play). I stand to be corrected, but I thought that even if the ball is dead, if you push someone over, the ref can award a free kick (in this case a penalty). Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you can be booked or sent off, but the game continues from the ball being dead. Used to know this shit, but unsure now. I'll wait for someone else to look the rules up. :lol:
I used to know my shit when it came to the laws of football but these days I’m clueless… the interpretation of the offside rule and when a player is interfering seems totally random bullshit to me. In fact, based on VAR decisions, I don’t think referees are sure about the rules either tbh :?

Anyway, I don’t think it can be a foul and penalty if the ball is out of play. Red or yellow card yes, but not a penalty/free kick. Ball has to be in play.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

g88ner wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:59 am
Retro Gunner wrote:

As for the incident at the scum, as far as I've always been aware, it doesn't matter if the ball is in play or not (I was at the match but can't remember if the ball was in play). I stand to be corrected, but I thought that even if the ball is dead, if you push someone over, the ref can award a free kick (in this case a penalty). Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you can be booked or sent off, but the game continues from the ball being dead. Used to know this shit, but unsure now. I'll wait for someone else to look the rules up. :lol:
I used to know my shit when it came to the laws of football but these days I’m clueless… the interpretation of the offside rule and when a player is interfering seems totally random bullshit to me. In fact, based on VAR decisions, I don’t think referees are sure about the rules either tbh :?

Anyway, I don’t think it can be a foul and penalty if the ball is out of play. Red or yellow card yes, but not a penalty/free kick. Ball has to be in play.

Yeah, snap. When you're younger, you stay in touch with all the rules...although in fairness, they used to rarely change...but they've tweaked and altered so much in the last 20 years, that I'm always behind the curve. If you put me in goal, I'd probably pick the ball up from a backpass! :lol:

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

g88ner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

Im fairly sure it wasn't in play for that Keane incident...unless I remember wrong

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:11 pm
g88ner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

Im fairly sure it wasn't in play for that Keane incident...unless I remember wrong

I can't really remember Mantis, but I tend to think that the scum had just taken a corner, or free kick or something and the ball was cleared, but Lehman pushed Keane, who had been crowding and irritating him, while the ball was still in play. Again, I stand to be corrected, but I think there'd have been a huge furore if the ref had misapplied the rules.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Should have kept Martinez ......

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

gooner265 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:18 pm
HEEYYYY!! I knew it would be you or Nos89. I think he was showing that he still wants to play for the Arsenal.

First goal, bad fuck up, second goal, nowhere near as bad as being made out. Had he got nowhere near the ball, there'd have been no complaints, but the fact he managed to get across and get half a hand on it, when it was already behind him, made him a target.

What did you make of Ramsdale for their goal...wasn't great was it?

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:33 pm
gooner265 wrote:
HEEYYYY!! I knew it would be you or Nos89. I think he was showing that he still wants to play for the Arsenal.

First goal, bad fuck up, second goal, nowhere near as bad as being made out. Had he got nowhere near the ball, there'd have been no complaints, but the fact he managed to get across and get half a hand on it, when it was already behind him, made him a target.

I don't think the Villa player did anything wrong....he boxed Ramsdale in, he wasn't holding him, he got tight to him and then just stood his ground. Somebody should have come to Ramsdale's aid, stood in front of the Villa player. Instead Ramsdale looked like his feet had been nailed to the ground on the goal line and all he had in front of the villa player were his arms. At below mid chest height......comical. He couldn't come out off his line because he was so completely boxed in. I thought, watching it, why doesn't he step into the goal and come around in front of the player that way. As I said, he looked like he was nailed to the ground.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

The Villa player was blocking him. Nothing illegal just good aggressive positioning. Saliba did the same thing to Leno for our winner against Fulham.

Tomiyasu was not on the post though. I know football is evolving and the tactics are more sophisticated, but a man on the near post should be a given.

Ramsdale cant cover the whole goal. This was not a Ramsdale error

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
gooner265 wrote:

:lol: , come on I wasnt gonna miss that opportunity. To be fair I thought the criticism for the second was harsh , it was a great finish and done well to get a hand to it.
As for Rambo he needs more protection tgere with a man on the near post but he'll learn from that , he took no shit on the following corner.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Once upon a time Bould, Adams or Keown would have made sure that the obstruction by Kamara didn't happen.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

A11M11 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:40 am
Once upon a time Bould, Adams or Keown would have made sure that the obstruction by Kamara didn't happen.
100%

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

xisstential wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:23 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
gooner265 wrote:

I don't think the Villa player did anything wrong....he boxed Ramsdale in, he wasn't holding him, he got tight to him and then just stood his ground. Somebody should have come to Ramsdale's aid, stood in front of the Villa player. Instead Ramsdale looked like his feet had been nailed to the ground on the goal line and all he had in front of the villa player were his arms. At below mid chest height......comical. He couldn't come out off his line because he was so completely boxed in. I thought, watching it, why doesn't he step into the goal and come around in front of the player that way. As I said, he looked like he was nailed to the ground.
It was a very unproffessional goal to concede....could have been easily avoided... as A11M11 said just a man on the post would have done...........if a keeper pushes back before the corner refs normally tell them to seperate, or have a word with striker....i wonder what the ref would have given if it was at anfield?

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Redarmy wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:45 am
xisstential wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:23 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
gooner265 wrote:

It was a very unproffessional goal to concede....could have been easily avoided... as A11M11 said just a man on the post would have done...........if a keeper pushes back before the corner refs normally tell them to seperate, or have a word with striker....i wonder what the ref would have given if it was at anfield?
Clearly a foul on Ramsdale. The villa player grabbed and pulled down on Ramsdale's shirt. I would be very unhappy if Ramsdale let those two goals in like Martinez did. Especially, the second one. But ain't complaining as it was a winning goal for us. That's all I care about. The result.