Shower of dirty cheating Manc filth who ended our record unbeaten run by being dirty cheats A Sun 4th Sept KO 430PM

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Shower of dirty cheating Manc filth who ended our record unbeaten run by being dirty cheats A Sun 4th Sept KO 430PM

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonertux wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:19 pm
Been out for the day with my daughter on a boozy Birthday treat so unfortunately didn’t see the game. As the originator of the “Let’s all laugh at Man Utd” thread, I hate those fuckers with a vengeance. Won’t have any idea of the game until I watch MOTD later, but have read all the comments on here and just want a balanced view. Was it a VAR conspiracy and they got away with murder, or did we do the usual snowflake stuff and just fall over against a so-called big team? Balanced views please.
It was a mix of the two for me.

Overall we were the better team but did not take our chances. The referee was shocking, letting them kick and foul us at will. VAR fucked us on the Martinelli disallowed goal. There was no foul. Two players coming together, both leaning in, and one fell over. MongTominay got away with worse all afternoon and went unpunished.

They finished their chances. We fluffed ours or overpassed in the box. Too much tippy tappy at times.

At two-one though we were still well in it and I thought we had an equaliser in us, but the novice Martinez-Lite doing the PE teacher impression by panic subbing three players so early totally derailed us.

Lobotomy Clive was his usual shit self but still somehow stays on for the 90 minutes. I can only imagine he has fathered at least one of Martinez-Lite's children. :censored:

Retro Gunner

Re: Shower of dirty cheating Manc filth who ended our record unbeaten run by being dirty cheats A Sun 4th Sept KO 430PM

Post by Retro Gunner »

goonertux wrote:
Been out for the day with my daughter on a boozy Birthday treat so unfortunately didn’t see the game. As the originator of the “Let’s all laugh at Man Utd” thread, I hate those fuckers with a vengeance. Won’t have any idea of the game until I watch MOTD later, but have read all the comments on here and just want a balanced view. Was it a VAR conspiracy and they got away with murder, or did we do the usual snowflake stuff and just fall over against a so-called big team? Balanced views please.

It wasn't a conspiracy imo Tux. I knew as soon as it was referred to VAR that the goal would be disallowed. Not because of a fix, but because it was clearly a challenge where the old "seen 'em given, seen 'em not given" applies and there was enough in it for it to be a foul. Fucking annoying, but we'd have wanted the goal chalked off if the situation were reversed. No doubt someone will say, "yeah, but in reverse, it wouldn't have been disallowed" and they may be right, but that's a different point. In short, harsh, but I can see why it was chalked off.

As for snowflakes, they doesn't apply in the way it usually does. The team put a lot of effort in and played pretty well, but some of the old failings reared their head. Not testing the keeper and scoring when on top and being soft defensively and getting mugged. The centre of the park is our perennial achilles heel, with Xhaka the main issue...so the same old problem that won't go away until Xhaka goes away and that ain't happening anytime soon.

At 2-1, Lego Head fucked up by making 3 rash substitutions, which killed the shape and momentum of the team and we never recovered from that point. I think most of us are angry and frustrated because we played well enough to get something from this, but succumbed to some familiar weaknesses. 3-1 totally flatters Utd, who are not a good side (which also makes it fucking frustrating).

Hope that sounds balanced?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The best we've played at OT for as long as I can remember (including the scruffy 1-0 win behind closed doors during COVID).

Absolutely terrible decision to disallow Martinelli's goal - we were getting on top, went 1-0 up and I think would have gone on to win the game

For 65 minutes I thought we were good - very good at times. Then as g88ner has said above, the decision to take off 3 players at once (and two of them in Lokonga and Zinchenko amongst the best out there) was absolutely bewildering and killed off any chance we had. Being 2-1 down shouldn't have caused that reaction when we were controlling the game

Apart from the substitutions, the biggest issue for me was the ragbag backline who couldn't work out how to play the offside trap all day long. Thought Saliba had his worst game in the shirt so far, and its clear White can't play RB in these big games on an ongoing basis. Between them they fucked up the defensive line.

All a bit of a shame because I actually enjoyed the way we took the fight to them in their own backyard - was much different to the limpdicked surrenders of seasons past where we barely mustered a shot

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

BFG4 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:35 pm
Thynker wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:09 pm
A lot of negativity here.
We're top of the league FFS.

And for all the clamour of the 2nd coming of Christ up front at the Etihad, they've dropped 4 points.
Drew with Villa who we dispatched.

Of course we can do better. But there is plenty of reason for optimism.
I don't see it as negativity but more frustration that we never seem to get a result against any of the big sides away from home. Outside of beating Chelsea away last season and a win at OT in 2020(behind closed doors) we always seem to bottle the big away games. There are positives from today but the best analogy I can give is if a boxer is leading by a wide points margin but ends up getting KOD then that's all that matters.

:lol: :lol: I'd say that's very succinct and very accurate.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:47 pm
goonertux wrote:

It wasn't a conspiracy imo Tux. I knew as soon as it was referred to VAR that the goal would be disallowed. Not because of a fix, but because it was clearly a challenge where the old "seen 'em given, seen 'em not given" applies and there was enough in it for it to be a foul. Fucking annoying, but we'd have wanted the goal chalked off if the situation were reversed. No doubt someone will say, "yeah, but in reverse, it wouldn't have been disallowed" and they may be right, but that's a different point. In short, harsh, but I can see why it was chalked off.

As for snowflakes, they doesn't apply in the way it usually does. The team put a lot of effort in and played pretty well, but some of the old failings reared their head. Not testing the keeper and scoring when on top and being soft defensively and getting mugged. The centre of the park is our perennial achilles heel, with Xhaka the main issue...so the same old problem that won't go away until Xhaka goes away and that ain't happening anytime soon.

At 2-1, Lego Head fucked up by making 3 rash substitutions, which killed the shape and momentum of the team and we never recovered from that point. I think most of us are angry and frustrated because we played well enough to get something from this, but succumbed to some familiar weaknesses. 3-1 totally flatters Utd, who are not a good side (which also makes it fucking frustrating).

Nope. Absolutely do not agree on the VAR disallowed goal. It was two players jostling for dominance on the ball. If anything Eriksen's leg makes contact with Ohdeargod but I would not even call that a foul. Ohdeargod has done nothing wrong. If that was a foul then the game is gone. Even Jimmy Hasslebank (no lover of the Arsenal) said it was not a foul. Contact is not a foul.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:51 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:47 pm
goonertux wrote:

Nope. Absolutely do not agree on the VAR disallowed goal. It was two players jostling for dominance on the ball. If anything Eriksen's leg makes contact with Ohdeargod but I would not even call that a foul. Ohdeargod has done nothing wrong. If that was a foul then the game is gone. Even Jimmy Hasslebank (no lover of the Arsenal) said it was not a foul. Contact is not a foul.

As I said DB, seen 'em given, seen 'em not given. I actually thought it was a foul in real time before we went on and scored. I knew VAR would lead to it being disallowed. The fact he seemed to have got nothing on the ball didn't help. I do agree that Ericson put his leg across to cause the contact, a move that has become very common in recent years and pisses me off big time. Hazard got away with it all the time at Chelsea and it was obvious as fuck.

Still I'd have been seriously pissed off if it had happened in reverse and the goal had stood.

The rest of our summing up is pretty identical, but we differ on this point. I am, of course, correct. :lol: :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

shu wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:13 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:35 pm
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:22 pm
They deserve some slack because of the way they played the first four games, though it has to be said the first "big" team they've come up against they've folded like a deck of cards. Is this really as much progress as we'd imagined? Shouldn't we have signed another ball-winning midfielder in the transfer window if we were serious about winning games like this when Partey is out with one of his frequent injuries?

They deserve slack cos they beat shit teams up to this point ?? Bu!!shit
So were you happy at 65 mins ? was anyone else ? I thought we were playing well until we were caught out with their second which was totally against the run of play . As I said Arteta was then at fault with the subs . Yes we lost and I hate manure as much as the next man but we are improving overall .

So Augie were you actually happy at anytime in this game ? I very much doubt it .
t

I was partially happy yes - I do not for life of me understand how he left odeargod and white on as long as he did, and his triple substitution plan killed us, but no doubt there was pleasing aspects too

My response to bob was based on his belief that players should get free pass today - my argument is when odeargod has history of disappearing in big games, and when xhaka is constantly outclassed against good teams, then how can we keep turning blind eye to it. Since arteta took over I can remember one game where his changes during game made positive impact, and loads of games where his in game management has been badly exposed - should he be excused for that today just cos we beat a few shit teams lately ? This is a shit manure team and we dont get too many seasons where we should go in there and turn them over, so when we dont grasp those chances it is frustrating

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

BFG4 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:35 pm
Thynker wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:09 pm
A lot of negativity here.
We're top of the league FFS.

And for all the clamour of the 2nd coming of Christ up front at the Etihad, they've dropped 4 points.
Drew with Villa who we dispatched.

Of course we can do better. But there is plenty of reason for optimism.
I don't see it as negativity but more frustration that we never seem to get a result against any of the big sides away from home. Outside of beating Chelsea away last season and a win at OT in 2020(behind closed doors) we always seem to bottle the big away games. There are positives from today but the best analogy I can give is if a boxer is leading by a wide points margin but ends up getting KOD then that's all that matters.
To use that analogy, we're not even at the end of the 2nd round.
So many people think we're beaten even before we step in to the ring.
Have some faith!

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

Odegaard on Eriksen was a clear foul.
But McTominay 3 minutes earlier was worse.

People wouldn't have problems with refs or VAR if there was consistency but there really isn't. None at all.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:45 pm
goonertux wrote:
It was a mix of the two for me.

Overall we were the better team but did not take our chances. The referee was shocking, letting them kick and foul us at will. VAR fucked us on the Martinelli disallowed goal. There was no foul. Two players coming together, both leaning in, and one fell over. MongTominay got away with worse all afternoon and went unpunished.

They finished their chances. We fluffed ours or overpassed in the box. Too much tippy tappy at times.

At two-one though we were still well in it and I thought we had an equaliser in us, but the novice Martinez-Lite doing the PE teacher impression by panic subbing three players so early totally derailed us.

Lobotomy Clive was his usual shit self but still somehow stays on for the 90 minutes. I can only imagine he has fathered at least one of Martinez-Lite's children. :censored:
Thats a very accurate description of events ......

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

For me, the fact that we have a debate on a foul or not suggests that the definition is subjective and thus not a clear and obvious error. Martinelli still has a lot to do as well. I wasn't surprised that it was chalked off, but it never should have been.

NickF98

Post by NickF98 »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:15 pm
We could have beaten City last season at home, we could beat them or the scousers on our day.
But it is more likely we won't.
Yesterday's result had a depressing familiarity about it - the first big test and we fail.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

How the fuck did we lose that after equalizing & dominating the play. Gutted. Don't do the same against Scum and get caught out on the break like today. You know that is what they do. Also puzzled by the subs as I thought we were dominating at the time and didn't need changing. :barscarf: :barscarf:

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

From a pure footballing point of view we are better than United. The fact they had to play kick and chase on their own ground is a defacto admission they did not want to play a possession-based game with us as they know technique wise we are more advanced

My issue is why the line was so high when we levelled at 1-1. We are the away team, we didnt need to be that aggressive chasing the second. Its beyond frustrating to concede like that, twice. 61% of the ball, when in the second half it was 70%. 465 passes to 310. All they did all game was shit it at the back playing like newly promoted team. Although unlike newly promoted teams they do have additional quality to hit us on the break.

Arteta has done a wonderful job, and you can see this via the way the team moves the ball. We are playing that well we go to Old Trafford and ETH acknowledges they cant meet us on an open field of battle, so they hold up in their high castle and play a defensive game. However we overreached and they hit our rear.

That being said, this wasnt a bottle job or capitulation, we wernt even outclassed (this United team wont outclass anyone - only grift and grind results). Real Madrid Galactico was the policy of spending the most money to be the most glamorous of teams, whereas United have gone the opposite way, spending the most money to be the most unglamorous. We simply lost against the run of play due to tactical naivety & not being patient enough.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:03 pm
I hate losing to those c u n t s!
However? Given we have an incompetent manager, who will never cut it in the plge, it was no surprise!
We have more difficult games coming up, I'm going for 4-5 points from next 5 games!
He's a fucking fraud and any body who thinks different?

Arteta was too agressive. But to say his an incompetent manager is ridiculous.

I loathe fan meltdowns like this