Southampton sphincters A Sun 23rd Oct KO 2pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Thynker

Re: Southampton sphincters A Sun 23rd Oct KO 2pm

Post by Thynker »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:32 pm
xisstential wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:09 pm
IMO I think we should aim for top 4 and throw everything at the Europa.....our squad is too light to aim at winning both. If we do, we are in danger at losing out at both.
well that is what we are doing isnt it?
although i would play the reserves for the final 2 group games now that we have qualified.
We've only qualified for last 32.
Once we've qualified for the last 16 id give the academy team a run

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

The big worry after today is Jesus. In order to get top 4 we will need a 20 goal a season striker and he isn't it. He's quality In terms of assists and over all play but he's getting paid to score goals.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Your replies to our top 4 chances.... I do think we have a chance, a very real chance actually. Neither spurs nor chelsea are better than us. As for winning the title, NO, I don't think we'll win it, as Rodders said, City will stroll it. But I do believe Arteta and the players believe we can win it and again, IMO, that could cost us the Europa success.

Aim for 2nd, 3rd or 4th and throw EVERYTHING at the Europa....but we won't as it will come across that we lack belief.

The sooner we are out of running to win the title, the better.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

xisstential wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:49 pm
Your replies to our top 4 chances.... I do think we have a chance, a very real chance actually. Neither spurs nor chelsea are better than us. As for winning the title, NO, I don't think we'll win it, as Rodders said, City will stroll it. But I do believe Arteta and the players believe we can win it and again, IMO, that could cost us the Europa success.

Aim for 2nd, 3rd or 4th and throw EVERYTHING at the Europa....but we won't as it will come across that we lack belief.

:? Don't understand this logic, as the longer we stay in pace with Man City, the more chance we have of confirming Top 4 rather than getting sucked into the faltering teams below us

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:56 pm
xisstential wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:49 pm

:? Don't understand this logic, as the longer we stay in pace with Man City, the more chance we have of confirming Top 4 rather than getting sucked into the faltering teams below us
Because we do not have the personnel to challenge seriously on both fronts. And if we try to relentlessly keep pace with City it could end up costing us in the Europa. I am not saying throw the towel but we can win the Europa AND get top 4....we won't win the league.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

This team would benefit massively from the possibility a big strong player up top for when Jesus isn’t Working. Someone who can hold it up to bring our attacking midfielders into dangerous positions or just knock in a few headers. That’s where we should spend the money in January. I don’t see much of a future for Nketiah. He’s not a bad player, but not Arsenal standard.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

This team would benefit massively from the possibility a big strong player up top for when Jesus isn’t Working. Someone who can hold it up to bring our attacking midfielders into dangerous positions or just knock in a few headers. That’s where we should spend the money in January. I don’t see much of a future for Nketiah. He’s not a bad player, but not Arsenal standard.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

Strange the Tierney challenge late on in the corner of the penalty area wasn’t replayed. Player goes down heavily in the area clutching his head, and not even one replay?

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

Strange the Tierney challenge late on in the corner of the penalty area wasn’t replayed. Player goes down heavily in the area clutching his head, and not even one replay?

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

Top three is the goal and would be decent progress and ought to be achievable from where we are.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

I can’t be too angry today. The effort was there but it just wasn’t happening up front. And if the ref did his job we are two up in 15 minutes, they’re down to 10 men and it’s game over.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:28 pm
xisstential wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:09 pm
IMO I think we should aim for top 4 and throw everything at the Europa.....our squad is too light to aim at winning both. If we do, we are in danger at losing out at both.
I don’t think there’s anyone that thinks we’re in with a serious chance of wining the league is there? :shock: City will absolutely stroll it by 15 points minimum.

Maybe at a push we’ve an outside chance of being best of the rest but ultimately when it boils down to it I reckon we’ll be scrapping it out for 4th and wether we succeed or not will boil down to keeping players injury free.

The fact we’ve 3 long terms injuries and are already showing signs of fatigue would certainly have you concerned though.

No mate, But we should be sweeping teams like these aside if we are to Improve and show that we have Progressed.

We need to finish above the scum... but if we don't improve the squad significantly in January, we just might let them in (again).

Nketiah is stealing a living. He has pace and runs around a lot... But other than the very occasional lucky goal he is SHYTE

Vieira is too skinny and small regardless of his obvious skills... We NEED some MUSCLE in Mid-field And an Ivan Toney up-front along with a LCB to cover / challenge Gabriel.

Maybe the World Cup will help us I dunno. As long as none of our players get injured :|

Midz

Post by Midz »

BFG4 wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:47 pm
The big worry after today is Jesus. In order to get top 4 we will need a 20 goal a season striker and he isn't it. He's quality In terms of assists and over all play but he's getting paid to score goals.
This ^^ 100%.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Midz wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:24 pm
BFG4 wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:47 pm
This ^^ 100%.
I honestly think it will happen for him... He has come the closest to scoring than any other striker... well at least it's not for the lack of trying nor is it because of a lack of ability; unlike Eddie the fuck-light-weight-feather.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I don’t see much of a future for Nketiah. He’s not a bad player, but not Arsenal standard.
He is what he is at present a good foil for Europa league matches and maybe F.A Cup against lower division teams.
However he is trying to be too similar to Jesus with lots of running and link up play when we need an alternative for games like todays.