K.F.C. Winterslag

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
KFCWinterslag

K.F.C. Winterslag

Post by KFCWinterslag »

Hi lads, good evening from Belgium.

First of all congratulations for your current leading position.

I'm the administrator of the KFC Winterslag facebook Page and YouTube channel.

As some of you might remember Winterslag's moment of glory was back in '81 when they eliminated Arsenal that season in the Uefa-cup.

For a reunion in 2023, we are looking to find footage of the game in Highbury.
Your help would be appreciated.

Also, we would gladly like to hear the impressions about your visit to Winterslag, as we both know things went crazy that night 😎

beck

Re: K.F.C. Winterslag

Post by beck »

Hi
Not sure you will find any footage of the game from Highbury as it was not shown on uk tv
At the time we were not showing any live club football outside of finals
And the highlights programme would generally only show one game
During the week of the first leg sportsnight( which was the bbc sporting magazine show) broadcast Southampton v sporting Lisbon
And in the second leg itv’s show that was called midweek sports special showed Liverpool v alkmaar ( sometimes the regions may show a different game but the only one was in the midlands and they showed Aston Villa v dynamo berlin)
Generally not until later in the competition would an away leg be shown
We did have two Saturday lunchtime shows called football focus and on the ball which would sometimes have some of the goals of the away legs
I went to the game at Highbury but on the night of the away leg I was at the Lyceum watching the clash
I have vague memories of the game being broadcast on bbc radio London ( the away leg) funny
I have more clarity about things 40 odd years ago than I do now

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

FFS I clicked on this thinking it was a dating site for the Christmas period, very disappointed :roll:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:41 pm
FFS I clicked on this thinking it was a dating site for the Christmas period, very disappointed :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah! Me Too! I thought it was some Slaaaaaaag who eats greasy chicken out of a bucket!!! :D

KFCWinterslag

Post by KFCWinterslag »

What a disappointing discovery :barscarf: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KFCWinterslag

Post by KFCWinterslag »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:33 pm

Yeah! Me Too! I thought it was some Slaaaaaaag who eats greasy chicken out of a bucket!!! :D
Finger licking good :barscarf:
FB_IMG_1670881416736.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KFCWinterslag

Post by KFCWinterslag »

zonder-welkom-website_1629965945.jpg
KFCWinterslag wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:35 pm
Hi lads, good evening from Belgium.

First of all congratulations for your current leading position.

I'm the administrator of the KFC Winterslag facebook Page and YouTube channel.

As some of you might remember Winterslag's moment of glory was back in '81 when they eliminated Arsenal that season in the Uefa-cup.

For a reunion in 2023, we are looking to find footage of the game in Highbury.
Your help would be appreciated.

Also, we would gladly like to hear the impressions about your visit to Winterslag, as we both know things went crazy that night 😎
A big thank you for your reply, I really hope to see some footage of the home game at Highbury.

The link below is about the away tie @ Winterslag, I created this channel about KFC Winterslag,

Nowadays they are known as KRC Genk after merging with local rivals Thor Waterschei back in 1988. The stadium doesn't exist anymore, they play at a modern arena on the former ground of their rivals.

https://youtu.be/-yr6wjGJXnM
zonder-welkom-website_1629965945.jpg

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

That last photo / ground is what I call Old Skool! :D

On a freezing winter's sunday morning, when there are more corner flags than people watching, 10 of the team have got hangovers from hell and the ref turns out to be the brother-in-law of one of the opposition....

<sigh> those were the days. :D

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Some of my mates went to the away leg, it kicked off :box: over there & Terry Neill our old manager was hit by a brick, supposedly thrown by our fans after trying to calm the crowd down.

Supposedly Winterslag were known as the Millwall of Belgium at that time, big industrial area / coalmines region but Thatcher probably closed 'em all down afterwards! :banghead: :banghead:

I think that was our last game in Belgium, until we played at Standard Leige won '7-0 in 1993, even Eddie McGoldrick actually scored & the locals were up for a fight! :box:

There must be some stories about this on the old wearetheherd.com site, I've heard that some computer geek herdsman has backed up all the stories on there before it finally went down summer 2019. :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:57 pm
Some of my mates went to the away leg, it kicked off :box: over there & Terry Neill our old manager was hit by a brick, supposedly thrown by our fans after trying to calm the crowd down.

Supposedly Winterslag were known as the Millwall of Belgium at that time, big industrial area / coalmines region but Thatcher probably closed 'em all down afterwards! :banghead: :banghead:

I think that was our last game in Belgium, until we played at Standard Leige won '7-0 in 1993, even Eddie McGoldrick actually scored & the locals were up for a fight! :box:

There must be some stories about this on the old wearetheherd.com site, I've heard that some computer geek herdsman has backed up all the stories on there before it finally went down summer 2019. :barscarf:
That 7-0, Eddie scored and also set up about 4 of our other goals. Many Gooners and Arsenal players at the time thought we'd signed a gem. The players even nicknamed him "Snowie" because he settled so quickly.

That turned out well, huh? :lol:

KFCWinterslag

Post by KFCWinterslag »

Thx for the little story, being named the Millwall of Belgium is a flattering compliment, the football club, the Miners' district and its residents were notorious throughout Belgium.

I really hope to get my hands on footage of the game in Highbury and the stories of the old wearetheherd.com site

Anyone ?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

KFCWinterslag wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:22 pm

Thx for the little story, being named the Millwall of Belgium is a flattering compliment, the football club, the Miners' district and its residents were notorious throughout Belgium.

I really hope to get my hands on footage of the game in Highbury and the stories of the old wearetheherd.com site

Anyone ?
Mate, being called "Millwall" is not a compliment. Millwall were and are all cùnts. :lol: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:08 pm
KFCWinterslag wrote:

Anyone ?
Mate, being called "Millwall" is not a compliment. Millwall were and are all cùnts. :lol: :wink:

You should have left him in blissful ignorance mate..... would have been interesting when he went to visit their ground and they heard his accent! :D :wink:

KFCWinterslag

Post by KFCWinterslag »

DB10GOONER wrote:
KFCWinterslag wrote:

Anyone ?
I gues they are everyone's rival ? :-P , What I did mean to say was that nobody liked visiting Winterslag back in the days, there was a hostile environment at that area around the stadium for visitors.

KFCWinterslag

Post by KFCWinterslag »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:47 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
KFCWinterslag wrote:

Anyone ?

You should have left him in blissful ignorance mate..... would have been interesting when he went to visit their ground and they heard his accent! :D :wink:

:-P :-P :-P yesss very interesting indeed, Millwall is on my bucketlist :twisted:

So no chance at all to get my hands on the home-game @ Highbury ?

https://youtu.be/-yr6wjGJXnM