Best Arsenal Team

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Best Arsenal Team

Post by Nos89 »

Someone asked me at work which is the best Arsenal team I've seen. He was talking about the Invincible's, or the 49ers to give them the right name. A lot refer to the '98 double winning team, but for me the team that I remember fondly is the 90/91 league title winning team. To win the title that season by that many points was phenomenal. Lost 1 game, conceded 18 goals, Adams jail sentence, deducted 2 points to name a few things.
Walking down St.Thomas's road to the ground as the Liverpool v forest game ended, people running out their houses celebrating in the street confirming us as Champions before the game started was a wonderful feeling.

DB10GOONER

Re: Best Arsenal Team

Post by DB10GOONER »

A new day. Nos89 has a thought. Starts a new thread.

:lol: :wink:

Either the teams from 91, 98 or The Invincibles (to give them their actual correct name). But it depends on the day, what mood I'm in, the criteria for "best" etc. But any one of those three.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

In my lifetime I reckon it's gotta be the 3 double winning sides! :barscarf: Winning the league title as well as FA Cup beats a league title, even '89 & 04. :shock:

Historically I would say it's the 1935 title winning side, the 3rd League Championship in a row, Arsene Wenger should have done 3 League titles in a row & perhaps George Graham could have also have got closer.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

I adored the 89 team for being the first Arsenal team in my memory to win the league title and to witness it as the season unfolded was, so , so special, so they will always have a place in my heart.

I think the 91 team, with the additions of Seaman and Limpar were better, and played better football.

Bergkamp was the catalyst for 98, deservedly so for his talent.

The arrival of Henry, Pires and Vieira lifted the football levels as high as I have ever seen them and you can argue, they should have won so much more, such was their talent but were up against Utd at their peak.

So, I’m more confused now than when I started, so there you have it, :rubchin: :rubchin:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I would say that the 91/92 team played the most memorable football even though they fell a bit short of winning anything

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:15 pm

Either the teams from 91, 98 or The Invincibles (to give them their actual correct name). But it depends on the day, what mood I'm in, the criteria for "best" etc. But any one of those three.
Sorry for the nostalgia my ex has finally (10 years after divorce) decided to give me back some of my personal belongings including all my Arsenal video cassettes, which run from 85/86 season through to 1999 season. Yes, I did get a bit emotional, never thought I'd see those ever again. My Arsenal collection feels whole again.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:23 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

Sorry for the nostalgia my ex has finally (10 years after divorce) decided to give me back some of my personal belongings including all my Arsenal video cassettes, which run from 85/86 season through to 1999 season. Yes, I did get a bit emotional, never thought I'd see those ever again. My Arsenal collection feels whole again.
Glad you have them back :barscarf:

I have lots of end of season video tapes, programmes, shirts, tickets, newspapers even, safely boxed up in the loft - I love to just spend an hour or so every now and then, reminiscing about what were the best times for me as an Arsenal fan (1987 -1995) Season ticket holder, away virtually every week and Europe too.

Happy watching, assuming you still have a VHS player ? :lol:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:59 am
Nos89 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Glad you have them back :barscarf:

I have lots of end of season video tapes, programmes, shirts, tickets, newspapers even, safely boxed up in the loft - I love to just spend an hour or so every now and then, reminiscing about what were the best times for me as an Arsenal fan (1987 -1995) Season ticket holder, away virtually every week and Europe too.

Happy watching, assuming you still have a VHS player ? :lol:
Thanks, yes I do have an antique VHS player. Do miss those end of season reviews. Also, got back the Arsenal Video Magazine collection from '91/92 if anyone remembers them.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Absolutely no need to apologise mate. I was only kidding with you. :wink:

I love nostalgia. I've never understood why some people hate the concept. I love it. I love listening to the music of my youth, watching old movies from certain time periods, and watching old Arsenal related stuff.

Glad you got your stuff back. 8)

CollenG53

Post by CollenG53 »

without gabriel and xhaka for me. white at CB and a proper 8 next to partey and think it would cure a lot of problems. going forward.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Well it wasn't our 2011 team... :lol: :wink:

Just watched a replay of our 3-5 win at the chav shithole and my God I had forgotten how utterly shit and cowardly Merteslacker the Big German Vagina was. Fuck me he was shit. :oops: :roll:

As was the Klingon representative on Earth, Gervinho. Utter shit. :oops: :roll:

I was watching these two fucking numpties give away goals and miss sitters and then who do you think came waddling into view as a chav player ran right past him with the ball? None other than Fat Tony Santos, the jersey-begging cock womble! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :censored: :censored:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:51 pm

As was the Klingon representative on Earth, Gervinho. Utter shit. :oops: :roll:

My tea has just ruined the computer display FFS! :barscarf: :D