Odegaard appreciation thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Perryashburtongroves

Re: Odegaard appreciation thread

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:44 pm
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:36 pm
Midz wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:25 am
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:56 pm
Really, really good Odegaard interview, well worth a 5 min read :barscarf: :barscarf:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts ... 6ncfVEgoko
Good read that. :)
That's a lovely article and he always comes across as a nice bloke who just happens to be very good at football.
Cheers mate, 🍻 I once got player of the week at Bobby Moore soccer school you know 😉 I’ve not been the same since my acl reconstruction though.
Could have been up there with the great Abou if you'd had a few more injuries.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:27 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Midz wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Really, really good Odegaard interview, well worth a 5 min read :barscarf: :barscarf:

That's a lovely article and he always comes across as a nice bloke who just happens to be very good at football.
Cheers mate, 🍻 I once got player of the week at Bobby Moore soccer school you know 😉 I’ve not been the same since my acl reconstruction though.
I find that hard to believe Perry! :D :wink:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Midz wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:

Hamza ?

Yeah, possibly,

Definitely better in goal than him.
Last edited by Stuart L (2) on Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perryashburtongroves

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:22 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Midz wrote:

Hamza ?

Yeah, possibly,

Definitely a better in goal than him.
He played in goal too, I hear. Deadly when it came to crosses.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:22 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Midz wrote:

Hamza ?

Yeah, possibly,

Definitely a better in goal than him.
Aaaah! Mate Hamza would have been Hooked before half-time :D

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

🚨🔴⚪️ Official: Martin Ødegaard has signed new long term deal at Arsenal — valid until June 2028.

“Signing a new contract was a really easy decision for me, what we are doing right now as a club is special, and I want to be a part of that”, Ødegaard says.

Perryashburtongroves

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:14 am
🚨🔴⚪️ Official: Martin Ødegaard has signed new long term deal at Arsenal — valid until June 2028.

“Signing a new contract was a really easy decision for me, what we are doing right now as a club is special, and I want to be a part of that”, Ødegaard says.
Fantastic news. That's a good lot of players signing extensions over the last few months. I've just had a look here: https://www.spotrac.com/epl/arsenal-fc/contracts/

and we seem to have sorted out the mess from years gone by when we either had bang average players on long deals or decent ones on ones about to expire. If the better players are singing new deals, that tells us that something must be working at the club.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Brilliant news….the guy is absolute Rolls fucking Royce :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I'm still a tad unconvinced that Odegaard is the type of captain to lead us to trophies, but when he is on it he is a superb footballer and has some serious magical touches and vision too. He can be amazing at times and I'm glad he signed the extension.

But then he has a tendency to disappear against tougher or better opposition. Hopefully this season he puts that to bed and we see him at his best every game. 8)

I think Sunday against the middlesex trophy dodgers will be a telling game in my love/hate feelings towards him. Hoping he leads us to a beautiful 4 nil prison style raping of the scum. 8)

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

He has to be the bargain of the century.

Madrid must be kicking themselves

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:12 am
I'm still a tad unconvinced that Odegaard is the type of captain to lead us to trophies, but when he is on it he is a superb footballer and has some serious magical touches and vision too. He can be amazing at times and I'm glad he signed the extension.

But then he has a tendency to disappear against tougher or better opposition. Hopefully this season he puts that to bed and we see him at his best every game. 8)

I think Sunday against the middlesex trophy dodgers will be a telling game in my love/hate feelings towards him. Hoping he leads us to a beautiful 4 nil prison style raping of the scum. 8)
He has turned up in major games v Scum away, Newcastle away, Scum home, Chelsea home / away off the top of my head.

When we have played City in the crucial matches home and away last season we as a team have been outplayed and that is where we need to improve to have any chance of the title.

What I really like about him is the pre assist pass that he spots, similar to Bergkamp, it’s the killer ball, but doesn’t get credited with the assist.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Must admit I too thought he was too lightweight for what is required of a Mid-fielder in the Prem, but he has definitely toughened up and only occasionally shirks a 50/50 tackle. It also shows how much of a danger the opposition see him as, as they have now also started their rotational fouling on him(as well as Martinelli & Saka).
Arteta clearly saw him as a player to be at the heart of the systems & tactics he wanted to use as the squad evolved and better players came in.

And whilst he has proven (so far) to be a good choice for Captain I don't think there were many other options other than Gabriel or (at least at one time) Tierney. For me the Obvious Captain is Declan Rice, but to take the captaincy from Odegaard wouldn't be a good thing for either him or the harmony of the squad.
He really does see those killer passes a bit like fabregas used to. Also he has something of the Dennis Bergkamps about him, which is always a very good thing.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:12 am

Thank you - I have zero doubts in my head that smith-rowe would do at least as good as he would if he was given an extended run in the team, and imo it is likely smith-rowe would prove to be an upgrade. It still baffles me how nobody takes issue with the fact that odeargod slows down our attack by taking so many touches before he releases that ball - I was always taught that the ball travels faster than any player, so that it makes sense to get the ball to our pacy forwards as quick as possible, but our captain just doesnt play that way. Sometimes when he takes those extra touches he will find a lovely ball through for a forward, but too often those extra touches allow defenders to get back in position

augie

Post by augie »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:19 am

Stop man ffs - martinelli cost £6m and odeargod cost £30m so he isnt even the biggest bargain in the current team, much less the bargain of the century.

Credit where it is due, wenger's signing of anelka is still BY FAR the biggest bargain signing AFC have made in my lifetime (I know technically that was the last century btw)

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:02 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:19 am

Stop man ffs - martinelli cost £6m and odeargod cost £30m so he isnt even the biggest bargain in the current team, much less the bargain of the century.

Credit where it is due, wenger's signing of anelka is still BY FAR the biggest bargain signing AFC have made in my lifetime (I know technically that was the last century btw)
Only on this forum can one of the best players in the team over the last 15 months have a nickname like ohhdeargod.

Total lack of respect from Augie, when the footballing world knows we bought a player for £30m that is easily worth north of £100m and the rest.

There is no comparison with Martinelli, he was a teenager much younger and a prospect, rather than a player that was expected to start every game when we signed him.

He's not my type of captain (Rice is), but what he brings to the pitch these days cannot be dismissed. He was sublime vs PSV. Now we can't be bullied physically anymore like in the days of Pires and Reyes, he is being allowed to show what he can do.