Norwich charity cup winners 1919/20 A Sun 15th Jan KO 430pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner265

Re: Norwich charity cup winners 1919/20 A Sun 15th Jan KO 430pm

Post by gooner265 »

Fantastic performance and beautmanaged second half . Apparently Gabriel had one to one coaching during the World Cup and it seems to be reaping benefits as he isn't diving in like he use to, long may it continue. No-one has mentioned him bit I thought Zinchenko was outstanding especially first half apart from that one mistake, I love Tierney but Zinny gives us so much more controlling the midfield to keep the pressure on, top 4 looking good now. :barscarf:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Cracking first half performance and despite losing our way for big parts of the second half, we dug in and didn't concede. There is nothing better than beating that lot on their own dirt.

Defence pretty solid throughout and Saka, Partey and Odegaard excellent in the first half especially.

As DB10 and one or two others have said on this thread, if we replaced Xhaka with even a solid, competent centre mid, let alone a top quality one and bought a quality centre forward who scores 20+ goals a season, then this could be a seriously good side who could compete at the very top level. Nketiah is simply not good enough and is no better than Championship level. As much as Jesus causes problems for opposing defences with his all round play, we really are lacking a natural goalscorer, who finishes the chances we create.

We are at a really significant crossroads and a couple of key signings could make us a force. Unfortunately, we all know that Xhaka will draw his pension while still in the side and we don't seem to be looking for a centre forward. We seem to be obsessed with wingers.

Anyway, we're in far better shape than I and many others expected this season and I'll be delighted if Arteta proves me completely wrong.

UP THE GUNNERS
Last edited by Retro Gunner on Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

By the way, I'm a huge fan of Martinelli, but has anyone noticed how in recent matches he isn't taken players on and getting past them as he usually does? He's tending to stop and lay the ball back. I know they're doubling up on him, but he seems reluctant to take the full back on even when its 1 on 1.

Has he been instructed to lay the ball off (Saka is still taking them on), or has his confidenced waned?

Just wondered who else had noticed it?

fivetothree

Post by fivetothree »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:32 pm
Cracking first half performance and despite losing our way for big parts of the second half, we dug in and didn't concede. There is nothing better than beating that lot on their own dirt.

Defence pretty solid throughout and Saka, Partey and Odegaard excellent in the first half especially.

As DB10 and one or two others have said on this thread, if we replaced Xhaka with even a solid, competent centre mid, let alone a top quality one and bought a quality centre forward who scores 20+ goals a season, then this could be a seriously good side who could compete at the very top level. Nketiah is simply not good enough and is no better than Championship level. As much as Jesus causes problems for opposing defences with his all round play, we really are lacking a natural goalscorer, who finishes the chances we create.

We are at a really significant crossroads and a couple of key signings could make us a force. Unfortunately, we all know that Xhaka will draw his pension while still in the side and we don't seem to be looking for a centre forward. We seem to be obsessed with wingers.

Anyway, we're in far better shape than I and many others expected this season and I'll be delighted if Arteta proves me completely wrong.

UP THE GUNNERS
Bang wrong on Xhaka and Eddie. Xhaka has improved massively this season being further forward. We can upgrade there, but he is a good player. Nketiah has been great since he has come in, solid back up option.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

fivetothree wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:04 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

UP THE GUNNERS
Bang wrong on Xhaka and Eddie. Xhaka has improved massively this season being further forward. We can upgrade there, but he is a good player. Nketiah has been great since he has come in, solid back up option.
Oh well, I suppose it’s all about opinions. Some people rate Xhaka, but then again, some people like kissing their sister. No accounting for taste I guess.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

fivetothree wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

UP THE GUNNERS
Xhaka has gone from being absolutely dreadful to being mediocre. Moving him further forward hasn't really improved him. What it has done is got him away from the defensive line where he was a walking time bomb. So now he kinda floats around in the 3rd quarter of the pitch laying off 3oo five yard sideways and backwards passes every game, very often to people in a worse position than him. And Eddie, your "solid back up option," is in the starting line up, and leading the line for the league leaders.

Both, IMO, Championship players..........and with Xhaka, even that would be a great result for him. I think he would struggle with the physicality of that league, would get caught on the ball time and again and would also get bawled out time and again for not pulling his weight.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Anthony Taylor is the ref for this game

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

xisstential wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:29 pm
fivetothree wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

UP THE GUNNERS
Xhaka has gone from being absolutely dreadful to being mediocre. Moving him further forward hasn't really improved him. What it has done is got him away from the defensive line where he was a walking time bomb. So now he kinda floats around in the 3rd quarter of the pitch laying off 3oo five yard sideways and backwards passes every game, very often to people in a worse position than him. And Eddie, your "solid back up option," is in the starting line up, and leading the line for the league leaders.

Both, IMO, Championship players..........and with Xhaka, even that would be a great result for him. I think he would struggle with the physicality of that league, would get caught on the ball time and again and would also get bawled out time and again for not pulling his weight.

Nothing to add to that...spot on.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:51 pm
xisstential wrote:
fivetothree wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

UP THE GUNNERS

Nothing to add to that...spot on.
Absolutely. Anyone with even a basic understanding of the game can see this.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

xisstential wrote:
fivetothree wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

UP THE GUNNERS

Spot on with Xhaka comments fella....although TBF Eddie done his best against the scum...but still could do with an upgrade

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Still waiting to hear from the FA about spurs not being able to control their players when they surrounded the ref, richarlison for assaulting Ramsdale, and the fan kicking Ramsdale in the back... :redcard2: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:52 pm
Still waiting to hear from the FA about spurs not being able to control their players when they surrounded the ref, richarlison for assaulting Ramsdale, and the fan kicking Ramsdale in the back... :redcard2: :popcorn: :popcorn:
If they don't give Richarlison a retrospective red for slapping Ramsdale then they are even more incompetent and bent than I imagined. Scum should be charged with failure to control their players, staff and supporters. Then have a reduced capacity for a number of games with the front ten rows left empty. That was fucking disgusting what happened yesterday and I'm struggling to think of any time I've seen that happen in English football at any level. Yes, dickheads have got on the pitch before and tried it on but to run down the front and kick a player is fucking disgusting. That place has been a fucking cesspit for years and they've done nothing. Now's the time to throw the fucking book at the cûnts. Fucking scum all of them. 2 fucking nil. Have a bit of that and fuck off back to your slums.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:16 pm
Nos89 wrote:
If they don't give Richarlison a retrospective red for slapping Ramsdale then they are even more incompetent and bent than I imagined. Scum should be charged with failure to control their players, staff and supporters. Then have a reduced capacity for a number of games with the front ten rows left empty. That was fucking disgusting what happened yesterday and I'm struggling to think of any time I've seen that happen in English football at any level. Yes, dickheads have got on the pitch before and tried it on but to run down the front and kick a player is fucking disgusting. That place has been a fucking cesspit for years and they've done nothing. Now's the time to throw the fucking book at the cûnts. Fucking scum all of them. 2 fucking nil. Have a bit of that and fuck off back to your slums.
They're a nasty club and their animus towards The Arsenal goes all the way to the top. Our board never had the vitriolic attitude that the fans had and never made any anti Spurs comments or actions. The scum board, especially Levy, have always been openly anti Arsenal. It eats them up that they're in our shadow.

I'll guarantee you that if the reverse happened at the Emirates, the wanker who did it would not have escaped the stewards, despite being a Gooner. The fact the tosser yesterday was able to clamber back up the seats in full view and not be collared by their stewards tells you all you need to know.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Nos89 wrote:
They charged Fulham today for surrounding the ref in their game midweek with chelsea and also charged Forest and whatever team they were playing recently for stuff tht happened after the game was over, so they have to charge spurs for the assault at least

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:16 pm
Nos89 wrote:

Oh and as far as giving Richarlison a red, or some other kind of sanction, I've no doubt that if the FA go after him, they'll go after Ramsdale too.