Half way there

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Stuart L (2)

Half way there

Post by Stuart L (2) »

So , we have reached 19 matches, with an unprecedented, for us, 50 points attained.

In previous years, we would by this stage be moaning ( or providing constructive feedback some might say ) about where we are going wrong and what we need to improve, right now we just need to keep doing what we are doing as it is working and very effective.

I would be very interested in your opinions on our 4 team area’s and individual players alike.

Keepers

Ramsdale - superb shot stopper, great distribution, although occasionally leaves it very late to clear with his feet and has heart in mouth moments, that so far he has got away with. Not a commanding keeper, the goal v United was totally avoidable when he failed to claim under no pressure from utd, Coul shave left it it to our 3 defenders to clear, opted to come and dropped it.

Turner - looks to have grown in confidence and stature, would have confidence in him if he needed to be called upon in the season.

Defence

I feel this is where we have progresses so much, Saliba has come in and bar the odd mishap performed like a premier league veteran. For me, the improvement is as a collective, rather than individually as a team we are closing down, getting back behind the ball then pressing to win it back again. For the first time in a long time I have confidence in our defence to close out a game.

Midfield

We posses probably 2 of the top 5 midfield performers in the league right now in Partey and Odegaard. Very different in their application but each equally vital to the team play. We dominate midfield in every game pretty much, even v the big 6 with their apparent strengths.
Some of the football is a real joy to watch, the link up plays, one touch stuff we have not witnessed since Fabregas, Rosicky and Nasri days

Forwards

Losing Jesus was potentially massive, so all the experts told us, Nketieh’s previous performances last season were not always convincing, hitting the Everton post from a yard out, for example, so we were right to question if he would be sufficient to take the role on, but he has, those 2 goals v the Mancs will do him the power of good and it is not just him we are relying on for goals, Saka gets them in big games, Martinelli although not recently, is chipping in and Odegaard has shown he is very capable of hitting 10+ goals this season. Add Xhaka’s new found position finding him in and around the box and the acquisition of Trossard means we have 6/7 players likely to be a real danger.

We also have an ariel threat now, Gabriel and Saliba are hard to contend with in the opposition box, often leaving space for others.
We have only failed to score so far in one game, v Newcastle, where we were denied a clear penalty for the drag back on Gabriel’s shirt we failed to break through the magpies defensive blockade.

No longer do I dispair if opponents score first, as we posses the fire power and more importantly the desire and willingness to fight all the way to restore parity and then keep pushing for the winner.

I would rate this season so far at a solid 9 out of 10, would be an absolute dream if we could continue this form to the end of the season, much to the displeasure of the likes of Neville, Keys, Sutton, who are all eagerly awaiting our down fall with baited breath.

We have our Arsenal back and it feels great :barscarf: :barscarf: even if I get the butterflies approaching every, single game now.

We’ve got Super Mik Arteta, he knows exactly what we need.

OneBardGooner

Re: Half way there

Post by OneBardGooner »

:high5: Great Post / Thread Stuart :high5:

The Whole Culture at The Club has changed from root to twig and for the first time since Wengers 9th year Everyone is pulling in the Same Direction and it Feels Superb... It feels like every corner at the club has been swept clean.

Even down to what might seem like 'little things', but collectively they all Add Up to a Positive Vibe and Belief at and in the Club - The Angel song/chant... How long have we wanted own Anthem ? And it is (imo) Catchy, memorable and acts as part of the vibe that has made the Ground a Fortress this season.

The way the players Fight for each other on the pitch is a Sight To Behold! It Gives Me Fucking GOOSEBUMPS ! :barscarf:

I remember when there was such a divide between factions of fans; the insults, accusations and the violence - I really didn't see that being healed for many years to come, but Arteta has done exactly that.

I was hopeful tha he might do some good and have some success; till we got a "proper' manager, I was one of the many detractors (on here) and he has proved me WRONG and I am delighted.

Like you I get Butterflies etc Every Single Game ! I am so enjoying watching My Team Again! And That Feeling Does Not Have A Price. :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Lobotomy Clive is a donkey cùnt. A complete liability and a waste of a big wage. Replace him and we instantly become a better side.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Just a little bit away from the squad but still relevant is the remaining fixtures. We're in an unusual place where we only have 4 of the last 19 fixtures against the "big boys" Man City twice, Liverpool (a) and Chelsea (h). That's it! Given those two teams current position I'd expect to get something from both those games. The rest are teams we'd roll over as "flat track bullies".
We could add Newcastle on that list but it's always been a difficult ground to go to and by the time we play them I think they'd run out of steam, especially if they reach the league cup final.
We have 15 games in which we have to avoid complacency and play to the level we would normally have to play, achieve the result we have done in seasons where we haven't been top. By the time we play City away we could have wrapped things up at the rate we are currently playing at.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:48 pm
Just a little bit away from the squad but still relevant is the remaining fixtures. We're in an unusual place where we only have 4 of the last 19 fixtures against the "big boys" Man City twice, Liverpool (a) and Chelsea (h). That's it! Given those two teams current position I'd expect to get something from both those games. The rest are teams we'd roll over as "flat track bullies".
We could add Newcastle on that list but it's always been a difficult ground to go to and by the time we play them I think they'd run out of steam, especially if they reach the league cup final.
We have 15 games in which we have to avoid complacency and play to the level we would normally have to play, achieve the result we have done in seasons where we haven't been top. By the time we play City away we could have wrapped things up at the rate we are currently playing at.
fair enough but I think you need to throw in Newcastle away there as well.

That could potentially be a crucial game in the run in.
what is noticeable though is how "easy looking" the home fixtures look.
from our current position you have to think we should get a minimum of at least 40 points from the 2nd half of the season which wouldn't leave City with much margin for error.
we are currently 8/11 for the title - if we beat City in a few weeks time expect that to come into about 1/5.

*sorry just read again and see you considered Newcastle as well :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:31 pm
Lobotomy Clive is a donkey cùnt. A complete liability and a waste of a big wage. Replace him and we instantly become a better side.
:shock:

Mon Dieu ooo Iz Zees lobotomy er Cleev Yous speak euf monsieur ???

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:57 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:48 pm
fair enough but I think you need to throw in Newcastle away there as well.

That could potentially be a crucial game in the run in.
what is noticeable though is how "easy looking" the home fixtures look.
from our current position you have to think we should get a minimum of at least 40 points from the 2nd half of the season which wouldn't leave City with much margin for error.
we are currently 8/11 for the title - if we beat City in a few weeks time expect that to come into about 1/5.

*sorry just read again and see you considered Newcastle as well :D
We have 10 home matches with 9 away, with several against the bottom 8 to play, Feb / March / April hopefully before the desperation to stay up kicks in so bad that they fight tooth and nail.

The biggest thing for me is that City pretty much have to win both games v us, a win each or a couple of draws are of no good to them at all.
I think their focus on winning the Champions League for the first time, which I assume Pep needs to do by now to justify his huge expensive outlay, will play into our hands in April.
Of course, we may still have our own European adventures as a distraction, but the quality of teams are simply not the same standard.

We have nothing to fear from a trip to Anfield, we could and should outplay them, as long as we take our chances to bury them.
Newcastle away will be tough but surely they have to come out and play a bit, which could mean their undoing fingers crossed 🤞

A game at a time, a win at a time, just how we have been doing it…

COYG :barscarf: :barscarf:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Every year I hope city bomb out of the champions league as early as possible so I can have a massive fucking laugh at their expense but this season I’ll be cheering them to the rafters all the way to the final (at which point I’ll revert to wanting to see them get hammered by someone again).

Keep them nice and occupied with one eye on Europe (hopefully 2 if we could open a gap) for as long as possible, them getting dumped out early would not be good news for us especially if we go deep in the europa and are playing 2 games a week to their 1.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

The position we are in is incredible but this is eerily similar to 2007/08 when we were flying and looked a match for anyone but once Eduardo's leg was broken by that lowlife at Birmingham then the whole Season went up in smoke. We were five points ahead going into that one and drew four in a row after. The big fear I have is what happens if we meet a bit of adversity.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

BFG4 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:38 am
The position we are in is incredible but this is eerily similar to 2007/08 when we were flying and looked a match for anyone but once Eduardo's leg was broken by that lowlife at Birmingham then the whole Season went up in smoke. We were five points ahead going into that one and drew four in a row after. The big fear I have is what happens if we meet a bit of adversity.

Remember that horrendous day very well I was there; that UberCUNT Martin Taylor, how it was described in the Guardian newspaper...

"A studs-up challenge by defender Martin Taylor resulted in a broken left leg and an open fracture of the ankle"

The only good thing to come out of that was the DirtyCunt was released at the end of the season without making any further first-team appearances, he went to Watford; where he eventually was let go, I think he played in the championship for Sheff Utd(?) but Got a serious injury himself :Ain'r Karma a Bitch You CUNTWHORE and eventually retired.

Eduardo was an amazing striker.... Top Skills and a Baller (as they say)

What also sticks in my mind is seeing Fabregas throwing up on the side of the pitch when he'd seen the extent of the injury to Eduaro and Gallas the ex-chav throwing a tantrum at the end of the game.

I think the Mentality of this squad (and Manager) are Far, far stronger than the players & manager we had back then.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gallas was a disgrace that day the fucking weak selfish little bitch. :censored: Should have been released by the club the next morning. The only worse captain we've had is Lobotomy Clive. :censored:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

BFG4 wrote:
Yes and we are going to be reminded about that day at Birmingham on Saturday - because if I remember rightly it was against that other team in blue on a Saturday TV lunchtime fixture that the infamous match took place.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

BFG4 wrote:

To be honest BFG, so far this team appears to be made of sterner stuff than the "2007/8 lot. Most of that stems from the manager. I'd well and truly lost faith in Wenger by that time and it was clear that his weak neurotic manner was affecting his team. It's still very early days for this side, but so far they've shown a bond and resilience that we haven't seen for years...I'm not even sure that Wenger's early teams had it, because we were always prone to folding and particularly in the CL.

Bottom line, we're way ahead of where even the greatest optimist thought we'd be, so even if we fall short, the signs are good for the future.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

The target was to get champions league next year which means top 4 . As such we are ahead of schedule . If we do drop back and still qualify we have to consider it as progress . Having said that we are in a position that none of us expected and it would seem that if the rumours are correct the club are trying to supplement the squad and are going for it. Lets hope that they make it.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:58 am
Every year I hope city bomb out of the champions league as early as possible so I can have a massive fucking laugh at their expense but this season I’ll be cheering them to the rafters all the way to the final (at which point I’ll revert to wanting to see them get hammered by someone again).

Keep them nice and occupied with one eye on Europe (hopefully 2 if we could open a gap) for as long as possible, them getting dumped out early would not be good news for us especially if we go deep in the europa and are playing 2 games a week to their 1.
As long as they reach the semis that will do as the final isn’t until 10th June. Hopefully they play a bit of extra time in Germany on 14th March on their way to the semis.