Blue dippers A Sat 4th Feb KO 1230pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Redarmy

Re: Blue dippers A Sat 4th Feb KO 1230pm

Post by Redarmy »

TeeCee wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:12 pm
We were complacent, simple as. No-one wanted it. Arteta has no answer to our wide men getting double marked .....it will happen again at least 12 times in the run in, he needs to develop a plan B.

Maybe this gives everyone a kick up the arse. Losing a game doesn't derail the season but not reacting to it can do.

Remember Everton took a point off City, at City a few weeks ago, write it off and come back stronger, we aren't a bad team overnight.
Yes was going to add that, but did not want to seem too critical of arteta, very surprised how they started, lethargic and lacklustre.....Saka getting negated by the doubling up...Martinelli having no joy on the left .....lack of height at the back...and xhaka doing fuck all

Arteta seems slow to react if at all sometimes, obvious team wanted shaking up....way too casual....Everton working their bollox off and us giving the ball away....Im a fan of Arteta but not sure what happened today

One win against the Bees and we are back on track :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Redarmy wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:33 pm
TeeCee wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:12 pm
We were complacent, simple as. No-one wanted it. Arteta has no answer to our wide men getting double marked .....it will happen again at least 12 times in the run in, he needs to develop a plan B.

Maybe this gives everyone a kick up the arse. Losing a game doesn't derail the season but not reacting to it can do.

Remember Everton took a point off City, at City a few weeks ago, write it off and come back stronger, we aren't a bad team overnight.
Yes was going to add that, but did not want to seem too critical of arteta, very surprised how they started, lethargic and lacklustre.....Saka getting negated by the doubling up...Martinelli having no joy on the left .....lack of height at the back...and xhaka doing fuck all

Arteta seems slow to react if at all sometimes, obvious team wanted shaking up....way too casual....Everton working their bollox off and us giving the ball away....Im a fan of Arteta but not sure what happened today

One win against the Bees and we are back on track :barscarf:

The whole team were Not At It Today, but when you have a player who detracts from our play like Clive it makes it all more difficult. All teams now "Double Up" on Saka and Martinelli which mostly negates the serious damage they can do, but as has been said that then leaves more space in the middle of the pitch which Arteta has to work out how to exploit.

The only player worth a mention (ish) is Ramsdale made 2 top notch saves.

I think we all knew we would have to lose at some point and so now it has happened it is Very Important how we pick ourselves up dust ourselves down and play in the next game (Brentford ) a well disciplined, Organised and Attacking team. Maybe this up and coming game will define if we really can be the title challengers and who knows even perhaps Winners and of course it will depend on How Well We Play..

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64484528

BBC Post Match Interview with Arteta.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

userstandably not given because 1 it was a bear pit and we were away and 2 the ref was Coote whose last encounter with us cost us financially against Oxford when we upset him by arguing with his decisions.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

A11M11 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:39 pm
userstandably not given because 1 it was a bear pit and we were away and 2 the ref was Coote whose last encounter with us cost us financially against Oxford when we upset him by arguing with his decisions.
Agreed, these Refs all have personal agendas and the FA allow them to get away with it, how VAR waved away 2 penalty calls today is further evidence of the Anti-Arsenal agenda.

Full Post Game Interview with Arteta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEGutd1EEy0

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

The reality of most title winning teams is that they have game changers on the bench to come in and change things where as we are relying on our starting 11 to stay the same and the bench is barely a factor. In midfield Partey's importance is such that if he's anyway off it or isn't playing then our midfield collapses. You just hope we have a bit of a player in Trossard to come in on the wing particularly when Martinelli is doing so poorly as he has lately. While the centre forward situation is beyond a joke. Nketiah has done well in Jesus absence but to not have an alternative to Nketiah when things weren't going for him today is piss poor squad management. It feels like this title challenge is being held together on a very loose thread, which is why our January activity in the window was not near good enough.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Fuck !. :barscarf: :barscarf:

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

The loss had nothing to do with the transfer window. It was pretty much the XI that has gotten us so many points. We were fully fit so we cant use the transfer window as a reason for why we lost.

Goodison is a small and compact ground, Dyche was the manager who is an anti-football master. Pickford frustrated by extending every stoppage, infact every time the ball went out for an Everton throw in it felt like 30 seconds passed before the game would restart again. If you dont get the first and early goal against these type of teams, its death by a thousand cuts later on when they drag out every throw in and goal kick. The league actually needs to draft hard rules around this, booking the keeper is pointless because no ref would be brave enough to give the yellow the second time round.

Always knew a result like this was coming. No team can avoid them. However we need to really be up for it v Brentford. We need to win that game leading into the Man City match.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:35 pm
The loss had nothing to do with the transfer window. It was pretty much the XI that has gotten us so many points. We were fully fit so we cant use the transfer window as a reason for why we lost.

Goodison is a small and compact ground, Dyche was the manager who is an anti-football master. Pickford frustrated by extending every stoppage, infact every time the ball went out for an Everton throw in it felt like 30 seconds passed before the game would restart again. If you dont get the first and early goal against these type of teams, its death by a thousand cuts later on when they drag out every throw in and goal kick. The league actually needs to draft hard rules around this, booking the keeper is pointless because no ref would be brave enough to give the yellow the second time round.

Always knew a result like this was coming. No team can avoid them. However we need to really be up for it v Brentford. We need to win that game leading into the Man City match.
The reason the transfer window is so important is that even if you have a quality starting 11, on occasions like today when they aren't on it, it's the guys on the bench that tip things in your favour. Nketiah was completely null and void today but stayed on because we had no one to replace him. We made average signings in the January window and ignored getting a striker because Jesus will be back in 3-4 weeks( title challenge could be over by then). Il always remember that we signed Reyes(RIP) in January in the invincibles season, but under the current regime we would never have signed him which is why we won't win the title, zero ruthless streak.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

BFG4 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:59 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:35 pm

The reason the transfer window is so important is that even if you have a quality starting 11, on occasions like today when they aren't on it, it's the guys on the bench that tip things in your favour. Nketiah was completely null and void today but stayed on because we had no one to replace him. We made average signings in the January window and ignored getting a striker because Jesus will be back in 3-4 weeks( title challenge could be over by then). Il always remember that we signed Reyes(RIP) in January in the invincibles season, but under the current regime we would never have signed him which is why we won't win the title, zero ruthless streak.

Nketiah is the back up. If your suggesting we buy a 3rd choice striker with high quality capabilities simply to be the back up to the back up, your not being serious. The general idea is two players for every position, not three. Thats how it works, when a player gets injured, your a man lighter on the bench. You cant have a squad so deep than when an injury occurs its like nothing ever occurs. Name a team that has an ideal third choice option?

Does your crystal ball say if we spend 80m on Caicedo that we win that match?

The transfer window has nothing to do with the result, its not an opinion, its a fucking fact.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:26 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64484528

BBC Post Match Interview with Arteta.
thanks for posting the interview OBG...think hes setting the right tone....not at all critical of players in front of media

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Have to take my daughter to training Saturday morning’s so always miss the lunchtime kick offs any time we’re scheduled in that slot. Normally this has me grumbling away to myself about having to miss the game but as Saturday approached I actually felt massively relieved that I wasn’t going to have to sit through it. I just felt from the moment Fwank got the chop nothing good was going to come of this game and so it proved.

Players who haven’t tried a leg in months suddenly start playing like it’s the World Cup final, crowd screaming for everything, kick and rush a thousand miles an hour, zero football gets played in the game and you lose to a set piece.

When I got home it was the 83rd minute so got to watch from there plus the six additional minutes - 13 minutes in total. I’d say the ball was in play for a maximum of 4 of those minutes and that’s being generous :roll:

Dinosaur arms got booked for time wasting then continued to time waste for the remainder of the game knowing he wouldn’t get a second yellow, players falling over buying cheap free kicks then staying down pretending to be injured, no ball appearing for our throw ins then magically 2 balls are on the pitch, Zinchenko getting booked for being hauled down by the neck onto the ground.

Pretty much everything I expected the game was going to be like all week condensed into 13 shit fucking minutes. They could still be playing out there now and the score would be 1 nil. Just the fucking sheer inevitability of it all is what makes it so depressing.

Next 2 games are at home - season will hinge on what happens in those matches. Even though in reality I think there’s very little chance of us wining the league I’ve stupidly allowed myself to dream a bit these last few weeks. Going into that faithful day at Birmingham I also started to believe and when Welbz got that last second winner at home to Leicester I felt the same only for it all to go to shit after those games in both seasons.

That’s only twice in the last 20 odd years I’ve dared to dream. This year is a strange one because absolutely nobody saw us competing for the title so to be in that position is a massive overachievement in itself. Head says city, heart says Arsenal, buckle the fuck up and give it everything from here on in.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

My prediction is Partey out of the next game. Jorginho in. Best case next game will be a draw. We have been at maximum for 19 games and that is about to change. The genie is out of the bottle on us. Press us hard and we bottle it.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:08 am
My prediction is Partey out of the next game. Jorginho in. Best case next game will be a draw. We have been at maximum for 19 games and that is about to change. The genie is out of the bottle on us. Press us hard and we bottle it.
Speak for yourself. Im backing the team and think we have more about us than that.

"'My prediction is Partey is out for the next game and the best we can hope for is a draw (at home to Brentford)". Your the one bottling it. Some fans dont have the stomach for the ebb and flow of the marathon that is the season, and they just wither at the first sign of trouble and throw out all the goodwill and position earnt on the basis of one result.

Well bottle it for sure if the team and Arteta carry your mentality

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

My big worry about a potential title challenge(outside of squad depth) was when the pressure comes on in a big moment, we'll crumble and yesterday as soon as things were going against us, plenty of our players hid. I really hope I'm wrong but my fear now is City beat Spurs today and we drop points to Brentford next weekend and that 5 point gap is wiped out before we play City and at that stage City will walk the league, really hope I'm wrong.