Blue dippers A Sat 4th Feb KO 1230pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
the playing mantis

Re: Blue dippers A Sat 4th Feb KO 1230pm

Post by the playing mantis »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:50 am
I think we’re done. Sliding doors moment. We shall see what happens but hanging on for 4th is my prediction.
Get your own analogies!

I did somewhat tongue in cheek say to a mate I think we will finish below the scum still if we don't make Jan signings...I feared that but didn't really think it and it surely won't happen and we shouldn't be all doom and gloom but there are some worries eg we are top but it's a bit false given the season isn't as progressed in number of games as it should be, conversely bar city we have played the big boys once or twice and done well, and have more home than away games left.

On the other hand it's all a bit seat of pants and built on sand give the key man dependency on partey, but if all fit that's not an issue.

I think a lot of the doom is lack of trust. This team failed us last year and we don't trust them not to do the same again. That's fair enough. However none of us dreamt in a million years we would be 5 clear at the top at the start of thr season and were predicting a manager change by halfway. So we are way ahead of where we though and should be and have the joy (and fear) of dreaming again when by rights we have no real reason to before the season. So a collapse and fighting for 4th is probably where the club expected and many of us hoped as the target

In a way we have been spoiled by what's happened so far. Doesn't mean we cannot be upset and worried but I guess perspective wise we need to remember where we were and should be.

The nagging annoyance for me is the fact that we did find ourselves here, the stars aligning, and yet had a bit of underwhelming transfer window respective to the opportunity we had,where we could really have pushed hard in light of where fortune had put us. Just hope we don't regret that extra 12 m for mudryk or the complete zero interest in signing partey cover until too late when elneny was injured and we basically signed cover for elneny and not partey and could cause us to come unstuck as jorginho is worse than sambi as a partey replacement.
Last edited by the playing mantis on Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the playing mantis

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:39 pm
The corner they scored from was never a corner you know. Strange refereeing all game. As bad as we were we got fucked again. Dead cert pen waved away too.
True but we deserved nothing and lost to the better team on the day. We were awful.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

the playing mantis wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:37 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
I think we’re done. Sliding doors moment. We shall see what happens but hanging on for 4th is my prediction.
Get your own analogies!

I did somewhat tongue in cheek say to a mate I think we will finish below the scum still if we don't make Jan signings...I feared that but didn't really think it and it surely won't happen and we shouldn't be all doom and gloom but there are some worries eg we are top but it's a bit false given the season isn't as progressed in number of games as it should be, conversely bar city we have played the big boys once or twice and done well, and have more home than away games left.

On the other hand it's all a bit seat of pants and built on sand give the key man dependency on partey, but if all fit that's not an issue.

I think a lot of the doom is lack of trust. This team failed us last year and we don't trust them not to do the same again. That's fair enough. However none of us dreamt in a million years we would be 5 clear at the top at the start of thr season and were predicting a manager change by halfway. So we are way ahead of where we though and should be and have the joy (and fear) of dreaming again when by rights we have no real reason to before the season. So a collapse and fighting for 4th is probably where the club expected and many of us hoped as the target

In a way we have been spoiled by what's happened so far. Doesn't mean we cannot be upset and worried but I guess perspe time wise we need to remember where we were and should be.

The nagging annoyance for me is the fact that we did find ourselves here, the stars aligning, and yet had a bit of underwhelming transfer window respective to the opportunity we had,where we could really have pushed hard in light of where fortune had put us. Just hope we don't regret that extra 12 m for mudryk or the complete zero interest in signing partey cover until too late when elneny was injured and we basically signed cover for elneny and not partey and could cause us to come unstuck as jorginho is worse than sambi as a partey replacement.
Huh? Been on the sauce? Jog away pal.

the playing mantis

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:41 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Get your own analogies!

In a way we have been spoiled by what's happened so far. Doesn't mean we cannot be upset and worried but I guess perspe time wise we need to remember where we were and should be.

Huh?

I was making light of sliding doors as I mentioned it before....

Nevermind

:|

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Get your own analogies!

In a way we have been spoiled by what's happened so far. Doesn't mean we cannot be upset and worried but I guess perspective wise we need to remember where we were and should be.

Spoiled!?

We are where we are because we have played incredibly well and have been managed by a(young) manager who knows what he is doing, he has Inspired and coached the players to better versions of themselves.

Arteta has said a number of times this season that "We Are Ahead Of Schedule" (in terms of the project and process) But to say we are spoiled implies we do not deserve it.

Maybe that is not what you mean/t by it.

I definitely didn't expect this and along with the majority of posters on here was a critic of Arteta and doubted him, but he has proved me Wrong, but I am very happy/ Delighted with that!

The season is only halfway through, so anything can happen Good or ill, but for sure I will keep being positive regardless. I just wish all those with their negative comments and energy would lighten up and enjoy the ride....

the playing mantis

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:52 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Get your own analogies!

Spoiled!?

We are where we are because we have played incredibly well and have been managed by a(young) manager who knows what he is doing, he has Inspired and coached the players to better versions of themselves.

Arteta has said a number of times this season that "We Are Ahead Of Schedule" (in terms of the project and process) But to say we are spoiled implies we do not deserve it.

I definitely didn't expect this and along with the majority of posters on here was a critic of Arteta and doubted him, but he has proved me Wrong, but I am very happy/ Delighted with that!

The season is only halfway through, so anything can happen Good or ill, but for sure I will keep being positive regardless. I just wish all those with their negative comments and energy would lighten up and enjoy the ride....
I thought mine was balanced!

I mean spoiled in that we all had no expectation we would be where we are. Totally agree we are there thru merit and great play but we are overacheiving in respect of all our expectations. So when things go wrong we forget this is a young maturing team that needs time, so the doom merchants could saying so due to that shift, as our perspectives have shifted to what we would have expected.

Had this result been first game or after just a few the shit wouldn't be being lost as much. That's what I'm trying to articulate, poorly it seems.

I will maintain jorginho is shit though!

Ps nice quote tower huilding. Shame g88ner ain't here of late to appreciate it...

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:42 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:41 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Get your own analogies!

Huh?

I was making light of sliding doors as I mentioned it before....

Nevermind

:|
No worries mate. Thought it was a dig. Let’s just get behind the Arsenal. :gayflag:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I see you are flying the flag Bobby!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:02 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:52 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Get your own analogies!

Spoiled!?

I thought mine was balanced!

I mean spoiled in that we all had no expectation we would be where we are. Totally agree we are there thru merit and great play but we are overacheiving in respect of all our expectations. So when things go wrong we forget this is a young maturing team that needs time, so the doom merchants could saying so due to that shift, as our perspectives have shifted to what we would have expected.

Had this result been first game or after just a few the shit wouldn't be being lost as much. That's what I'm trying to articulate, poorly it seems.

I will maintain jorginho is shit though!

Ps nice quote tower huilding. Shame g88ner ain't here of late to appreciate it...
As that bloke from the A Team used to say "I Love It When Quote Tower Comes Together" :barscarf:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:38 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:16 am
Fer Fucckkksss Saaake, YES we lost, it happens... This team are Not the invincible, BUT they are well capable of Winning the Prem this season.

We didn't turn-up yesterday, people need to realise that teams have 'Bad Days At The Office" this was one of those times/days. It was made all the worse by Partey carrying an injury (which is why we needed Caicedo - or Onana), a ref who was Weak and away in La la Land and the usual bluescouse shithousery tactics culminating in maupay the biggest WUM in the prem (remember how he got 2 Arsenal players booked 2 seasons ago)

We are All Disappointed and Angry, but we need to get behind the team and stop being Doom Merchants FFS... Leave that to Augie :D :wink:

I've just watched the Brentford v Saints game on MOTD iPlayer and Brentford are a very Capable Team; physically strong, fast on the break and well organised in midfield & Defence, so we will need to be ON It!

So far this season they have turned over manure, ScouseFilth, and $hitty (away). They will be tough opponents, But we beat them at theirs and we can beat them again.

The BIG question is can we come back instantly from yesterdays defeat to the knuckledraggingScouseScum?

I Believe We Can and Will.

No need to bring me into this buddy - I said absolutely nothing last night or this morning. Some slated our players, some embarrassingly tried to put blame the referee ( :roll: :oops: :oops: ), but we lost cos we still lack in areas and those weaknesses will stop us winning the league.

Everton stopped us yesterday the same way the geordies did a few weeks ago - they doubled up on our wingers and worked hard as a team, so it isnt as if it was some tactical masterstroke :roll: Worrying thing should be that as a manager and as a team we havent learned anything from the geordie game cos we dealt with it no better yesterday. Arteta's only response v the geordies was to bring on a right back and take off a right back, and yesterday's first response was to take off a defensive midfielder and bring on a different defensive midfielder :roll: When our wingers are well shackled we need creativity and inspiration from elsewhere, and nketieh is back up quality level only so he isnt it, and then you have to look at our central midfield and that imo is where we are falling. I said during the game that we need to move the ball faster, but as I have said since he arrived, odeargod takes FAR too many touches before releasing the ball and it slows us down. In my opinion you can play the swiss turd as high up the pitch as you like, but it doesnt mean that he is creative or skillful enough to unlock an organised defence - we basically have a guy recognised by all and sundry as a defensive midfielder (xhaka) but playing in the cam position, and then we are wondering why we create fcuk all in games like yesterday and against the geordies ?? Arteta has a blind spot for the swiss turd and as long as that remains, we will not make that step up that we need to, but because we have been having a good season to this point, we are all supposed to ignore that point and loudly rejoice in the myth of this reborn footballer :oops: :oops: :oops:

On the money.

For years we've all been saying that centre midfield was/is our major weakness. As technically good as Odegaard is and as effective as he can be when given time on the ball, he shows a tendency to be flaky and to disappear. Until this season, Partey has underwhelmed me and even this season I haven't got as carried away about him as many have. He has improved for sure, but there's still a tendency to make loose passes and give the ball away. As for Xhaka, it's all been said a million times...absolutely useless and fatally undermines the whole team.

so, as Augie says, if you double up on our wide men and neutralise their impact. there is no threat from the middle of the park where space has been created. Odegaard is capable of creating danger, but not when the going is tough. Partey rarely creates anything and Xhaka is League 2 level. The addition of Jorginho is simply an embarrassment. We saw a cameo of him yesterday and it was exactly what I expected...caught in possession or giving the ball away. We missed the opportunity to add quality to midfield in January, despite apparently having 80 million burning a hole in our pocket. I hope failing to do so won't cost us, but I sadly think it will.

Any team that relies on Xhaka as their midfield king pin is doomed to fail.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Get your own analogies!

Fair enough...not too bothered about Mudryk...got my doubts about him.....the area we desperately needed strengthening was midfield....where i think Jorginho is an undewhelming purchase....even though 6 years ago he was decent

An inform Partey is definetly a hard guy to replace...

fivetothree

Post by fivetothree »

Lol at people saying we might not even get top 4. We are 11 points clear there with 2 games in hand!

It was never going to be straightforward. We weren't great, but unlucky that we were first up for a team with a new manager at a ground we don't do well at. It happens.

The next two home games though....4 points minimum. As a few people have said, worth rotating a bit as a few players seem a bit burnt out. Tomi and Trossard should both be given a chance now at the minimum.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:proudtosay: