Getting tickets

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
BobbyPires7

Re: Getting tickets

Post by BobbyPires7 »

The Club is complicit in this. At least they are willing to turn a blind eye. Tourists come to game while in town and buy a tonload of merchandise in the shop. The issue the club have is if your man on the street regular member chucks their membership in over this.

Time will tell. But the tours are ruling the roost.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

A11M11 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:10 am
Touting is a big business and it's not just football.
For many years as you walked down Gillespie road the same old faces were there openly touting tickets. We knew who they were ,so did the police and so did the club. Just before the club left Highbury there was a famous case of of a round up and the touts were up before the magistrates at Clerkenwell . They were found guilty and fined £50.00 and told not to do it again .
Next game they were all there again , they were outside the Albert Hall for an Eric Clapton concert and at Wembley Park station for concerts , the O2 and every other event where there was a high demand for tickets that I went to.
The problem is that as much as clubs look at it until the authorities take it seriously it will continue and it is very low on their list of priorities.
Back in the day one of the biggest sources for tickets was the staff , the players and people with contacts in the club. The west stand upper was full of them . Who knows if that route has been closed ? Somehow I doubt it.
A few years back, I was walking out of St. John's Wood tube with my dad to go to a test match at Lord's and he stopped and turned to look at one of them and said "Bloody hell, I remember him touting outside all the London football grounds 30 odd years ago." Football, cricket, tennis at Wimbledon whatever it is, these ones are all over it and making a fortune off guillabe punters. These days it must be easier than ever with all the Japanese and Chinese wandering around with no fucking idea and handing over hundreds of pounds for a ticket. It must be an absolute fucking dream right now and that's depsite all the apparent safety checks and membership suspensions. From what I've read over the years, the move to the Ticket registration scheme in what was it, 1997?, made the situation even worse because instead of needing to queue up or at worst, bung a few kids or a stranger a few quid to buy a load of tickets in person, they could just open a load of memberships in different names and keep applying for however many each game. A scheme intended to keep track of tickets, actually made it easier for touts and 'ticket agencies' to get their hands on them and flog them on.
On the subject of players doing it too, Perry Groves writes a bit about going off to see Stan Flashman to sell him his allocation for the 1987 Littlewoods Cup Final and it was absolutely normal for the players to be doing it. Few extra quid in cash, pass the tickets on, no questions asked. Anyone who's ever wanted a cup final ticket has heard stories of a mate of a mate who knows so and so at the club and he'll sort you out. Every club was at it and probably still is, but these days it's probably the office staff rather than the playing staff.
As sad as it sounds, this is the price we pay for being top of the league. It was the same at Highbury, tickets were like gold dust and demand went through the roof from 1996 onwards. Something needs to be done now to stop this nonsense of tickets going in seconds and far too many members holding ticket purchasing rights in relation to so few tickets. Stop selling red memberships after the the season starts, make it a new rule that you have to have been a member for two full seasons before you can purchase a ticket, reward members who have purchased tickets over a five year period with easier access to category A matches or matches from March onwards or something. I think we've got a situation now where hundreds of thousands of people are under the impression that just buying a membership means they will get a ticket for any match they want. Football has never worked like that. It was either queue up for hours or go regularly. Nothing should change these days just because it's all on-line.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

As you say Perry these toutCunts are all over everything, even 15 years ago I had been working abroad and came back to London to discover that one of my favourite bands were playing the following day/night, tickets were like gold dust, but I hung around outside the venue and sure enough there were loads of tickets to be had; for the right price. The touts always come mobbed handed and if there's any problems or disputes all these shaved headed, tattoo'd up to the wazzi appear out of nowhere and start threatening etc but the Plod just stand there and do sweet FA. Also (at least back then) if the tickets they had didn't sell, they somehow were able to get a face value refund; how the fuck that worked I have no idea.

I eventually got a ticket but had to wait right till the minute the band were due to come on and then I got one for twice the price; but before that they had been charging triple face value and even more to the American tourists..

It needs to be brought to the attention of Westminster and Laws passed, so if anyone; even an innocent individual who is selling one at face value for his mate who can't make the gig, they get arrested and have to pay a Huge Fine and a Criminal Record so should they do so again they get time in the clink.

The clubs have the finances, manpower, software systems and everything else to stop all this happening, but they really don't give a fuck as long a they get their money up front for the tickets/seats.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Forgot to log on and try for tickets this morning.
Although hearing stories of how impossible it was it seems like I saved an hour instead of wasting one.

From a ticketing perspective the club is a complete joke.
You can now only get tickets for matches if you are a season ticket holder or a tout

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:49 pm
Although hearing stories of how impossible it was it seems like I saved an hour instead of wasting one.

You can now only get tickets for matches if you are a season ticket holder or a tout
With my silver membership I have got tickets for all the games I wanted one for on the sale day. Got West Ham on TX, and Leeds just after it had sold out. Wanted one for this evening and still want one for Everton game. Couldn’t make original dates, but can make rescheduled dates. Not sure why there isn’t some form of attendance based priority at this stage of the season. Those who bought tickets in last 3 years getting priority over JCLs. They did it for League Cup final in 2018, and I got a ticket thanks to my previous attendance for the last three seasons. It is all recorded on Arsenal Rewards.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

arrgee wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:31 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:49 pm

With my silver membership I have got tickets for all the games I wanted one for on the sale day. Got West Ham on TX, and Leeds just after it had sold out. Wanted one for this evening and still want one for Everton game. Couldn’t make original dates, but can make rescheduled dates. Not sure why there isn’t some form of attendance based priority at this stage of the season. Those who bought tickets in last 3 years getting priority over JCLs. They did it for League Cup final in 2018, and I got a ticket thanks to my previous attendance for the last three seasons. It is all recorded on Arsenal Rewards.
Category A games should be based on previous attendance history but then you end up with the away tickets issue of people buying them for games they don't really want to attend and possibly not going just so they can go and see a big game. I don't know what the answer is but it seems as if the number of memberships which can purchase tickets is far too many for the number of tickets available. Then, as we've said, you've got all the touts and the cûnts selling their own tickets for hundreds online.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

somehow the ticket exchange needs to work better - i see loads of tickets being listed on twitter but never any on the ticket exchange.

the only way you should be able to get hold of a ticket is if the membership number is registered against the ticket and you actually have that membership card on you when you enter the stadium. Can't believe that would be too difficult to do.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:10 am
somehow the ticket exchange needs to work better - i see loads of tickets being listed on twitter but never any on the ticket exchange.

the only way you should be able to get hold of a ticket is if the membership number is registered against the ticket and you actually have that membership card on you when you enter the stadium. Can't believe that would be too difficult to do.
It’s because ticket exchange takes a big slice out of the ticket price for selling and also charges a big fee for buying it. Arsenal on the make has forced people onto Twitter.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

In the last 2 weeks I have been offered tickets from an outside / dodgy source; one for the Brentford game and one for lasts night utter catastrophe against $hitty... They were 5 x the face value...

I notified the club and they have yet to even reply.... :?

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

This morning, got up early, logged on at about 9am, got in a queue that told me I would be on site in 6 minutes. An hour and 5 minutes later, I was in and got a ticket in block 13 for Southampton game :barscarf: Tickets went within 15 minutes or so.

Did buy a Leeds ticket recently, which I thought would be rescheduled for TV. However, it wasn't and I can't make it :cry:
And didn't buy the Everton ticket as I wasn't going to be able make original date and now can't get one :banghead:

Just two more league games to go. Had hoped Chelsea would move to Sunday, but it hasn't, so just Brighton and Wolves :cry:

Oh and Europa League to come...

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:42 pm
As you say Perry these toutCunts are all over everything, even 15 years ago I had been working abroad and came back to London to discover that one of my favourite bands were playing the following day/night, tickets were like gold dust, but I hung around outside the venue and sure enough there were loads of tickets to be had; for the right price. The touts always come mobbed handed and if there's any problems or disputes all these shaved headed, tattoo'd up to the wazzi appear out of nowhere and start threatening etc but the Plod just stand there and do sweet FA. Also (at least back then) if the tickets they had didn't sell, they somehow were able to get a face value refund; how the fuck that worked I have no idea.

I eventually got a ticket but had to wait right till the minute the band were due to come on and then I got one for twice the price; but before that they had been charging triple face value and even more to the American tourists..

It needs to be brought to the attention of Westminster and Laws passed, so if anyone; even an innocent individual who is selling one at face value for his mate who can't make the gig, they get arrested and have to pay a Huge Fine and a Criminal Record so should they do so again they get time in the clink.

The clubs have the finances, manpower, software systems and everything else to stop all this happening, but they really don't give a fuck as long a they get their money up front for the tickets/seats.
Who was the band out of interest ?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

gooner265 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:34 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:

And what a Gig it was.

They also had a stage version of THAT Car the Eliminator

BTW: If there's any Philistines out there who aren't familiar with ZZ Top

Check this out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae829mFAGGE

8) 8) 8)

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:14 am
gooner265 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:34 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:

And what a Gig it was.

They also had a stage version of THAT Car the Eliminator

BTW: If there's any Philistines out there who aren't familiar with ZZ Top

Check this out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae829mFAGGE

8) 8) 8)
Bet that was fantastic, love Le Grange

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

In the queue for the Sporting home leg.
Estimated queuing time of an hour - ridiculous.

And I’ve already heard that tickets have sold out. If you can’t get tickets for this then the system really is broken.

You can bet that there will be thousands of tickets becoming available for this considering that there is a train strike that day. The tickets will of course not be available on the ticket exchange, they will only be available via the touts sites which have completely taken over this season in a way that I don’t think has ever been seen before.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I nearly always get to the European homes but not a prayer based on yesterday's experience. Shame but to be honest I feel sorry for those more deserving than me who were turning up regularly over the last few years. There won't be any simple solutions I fear - the price of success and it reminds me of the Wenger glory days when demand far outweighed supply. I do want to know how touts come to buy so many - surely with so many Gold, Silver and Reds, every single ticket is traceable to someone?

The double annoyance is that I had everything lined up for the away travel but I've heard now that every single individual ticket holder needs to producing matching ID (not just the lead booker) so the days of helping a mate out also seem to have gone.

As i say, there are far more worthy supporters than I, and I'm more upset for them. Need to be careful that an entire fanbase isn't driven away