Villa A Sat 18th Feb KO 1230

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Stuart L (2)

Re: Villa vaginas A Sat 18th Feb KO 1230

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:22 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:53 pm
Eddie is still our second biggest issue for me, he is just not a striker you need when challenging for the title. No matter what happens in the rest of the season Arteta must sign another striker in the summer :rubchin:

Agree with this Muzz. We're trying to challenge for the title while carrying two passengers. Xhaka, of course, is worse than just a passenger, he's a twelfth man for the other side, but Eddie is simply not good enough. We needed a striker in January and not getting one will cost us.

Eddie has absolutely no presence up front, he offers no threat, or even a nuisance level. If you're a centre half and you're about to face Kane, Haaland, Salah, Rashford, Toney, you know you've got a job on your hands, but you'll lose no sleep knowing that you're playing against Eddie. For me, the centre forward and the goalkeeper are the two most important positions in the team, because both can win you points that you haven't earned and both can cost you points too. Don't know if many would agree with this, but I'd have been happy to sign Mitrovic in January. He'd have been a god addition for the second half of the season, probably wouldn't have been too expensive and he's definitely a presence up front. In the summer, we need to add a top level striker.
I agree on both those candidates for replacement

For me Osimhen for £100m would be money well spent - I really fear him going to Man Utd
Play him as our no 9 and play the Duracell bunny Jesus in Xhaka’s role just buzzing around hassling, creating, dribbling

Kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

wibble wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:41 pm
Reminiscent of 2004 when we were behind at anfield after a shit week going out the champions league and fa cup and many questioning our character. Went non to win that game 4-2 as well.

Obviously this squads a bit different(!) but hopefully today will be used to spur us on and keep our title challenge going for a bit longer!
Yeah that popped into my head this afternoon too

Sequence of scoring was the same I believe
1-0 down , equalised,
2-1 down got back to 2-2
Secured the game :barscarf: :barscarf: 4-2 but yes as pointed out it was at Highbury

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:42 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Eddie is still our second biggest issue for me, he is just not a striker you need when challenging for the title. No matter what happens in the rest of the season Arteta must sign another striker in the summer :rubchin:

Agree with this Muzz. We're trying to challenge for the title while carrying two passengers. Xhaka, of course, is worse than just a passenger, he's a twelfth man for the other side, but Eddie is simply not good enough. We needed a striker in January and not getting one will cost us.

Eddie has absolutely no presence up front, he offers no threat, or even a nuisance level. If you're a centre half and you're about to face Kane, Haaland, Salah, Rashford, Toney, you know you've got a job on your hands, but you'll lose no sleep knowing that you're playing against Eddie. For me, the centre forward and the goalkeeper are the two most important positions in the team, because both can win you points that you haven't earned and both can cost you points too. Don't know if many would agree with this, but I'd have been happy to sign Mitrovic in January. He'd have been a god addition for the second half of the season, probably wouldn't have been too expensive and he's definitely a presence up front. In the summer, we need to add a top level striker.

For me Osimhen for £100m would be money well spent - I really fear him going to Man Utd
Play him as our no 9 and play the Duracell bunny Jesus in Xhaka’s role just buzzing around hassling, creating, dribbling

I don't know much about Osimhen Stuart, although I know hw's scored plenty of goals this season. I've never knowingly seen him play, so will take your word that he's a guy we ought to be after.

I agree about playing Gabriel just behind a main striker and I've also suggested on here that we could do that at the moment. Xhaka could...and, of course, should...be replaced by either Trossard, or ESR, both of whom offer far more in the final third. I said elsewhere that there's no downside, because it's not as though Xhaka offers anything defensively.

His continued presence in the team is one of the Universe's great mysteries...just what does Arteta (and previously Wenger etc) see in the useless lump?? Staggering.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

To the tune of ******* ****** He scores when he wants:

Emi Martinez He Scores With His Head

He scores with his head

He scores with his head

:lol: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

If someone had said pre Everton that we'd take 1 point from the next 3 games(including a defeat against City)then go 1-0 and 2-1 down at Villa Park and turn around and win 4-2 and end the weekend on top of the league, I'd never have believed it, incredible. When you're as doom and gloom as I am and you see that shot from Giorginho(with an assist from that cùnt Martinez) it makes the bad moments worth it, just pure elation today :barscarf:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:57 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:42 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

I don't know much about Osimhen Stuart, although I know hw's scored plenty of goals this season. I've never knowingly seen him play, so will take your word that he's a guy we ought to be after.

I agree about playing Gabriel just behind a main striker and I've also suggested on here that we could do that at the moment. Xhaka could...and, of course, should...be replaced by either Trossard, or ESR, both of whom offer far more in the final third. I said elsewhere that there's no downside, because it's not as though Xhaka offers anything defensively.

His continued presence in the team is one of the Universe's great mysteries...just what does Arteta (and previously Wenger etc) see in the useless lump?? Staggering.
Wenger bought him, and because, up to now he has never made a mistake, nor is ever wrong, he stuck with him. Even if he got us relegated, he would have stuck with him, rather than admit he was wrong. Chelsea bought a little diamond in Kante at the same time. We bought a lump of coal. He has been jerked 2 games in a row now though, and that never happens. Could it mean, could it, could it.......???

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

If you kiss enough frogs you’ll eventually find your prince.

I reckon we’ve finally gone and signed a non skid mark off the chavs :shock:

Yeah the sample size is small at just two games (and I’m 8 bottles in) but he’s been really good in both games so far. Tidy on the ball, good passer, slotted straight in so much so that at no point in either game did I think fuck we’re really missing Partey here.

Fair fucks to him he’s proved me wrong so far, long may it continue.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Go on, have a look again. Fucking beautiful and I love the replay from above the goal which shows all the players heading off in whatever direction to celebrate. Some going to our supporters, some running to the bench and Ramsdale appearing in the top left by the halfway line running in a circle and then heading off to the bench. Then the reaction from the bench with everyone going mad and the moment you can tell when one of them realises right now is a great time to make a substitution. Aslo, seeing the doctor's glasses go up his head reminded me of a Pat Rice moment from years gone by, 97-98, I think when it happened to him.

https://youtu.be/oJENAsQV3IU

Midz

Post by Midz »

1 hour until MOTD wife & I are very excited to see if Wrighty has anything to say about good ol' Emi (c.unt features).

I know the highlights are available on BT but I'm saving watching it until later and will thoroughly enjoy them courtesy of the beeb. :D

'He scores with his head' - very funny, Bard. :barscarf:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

How impressive were our fitness levels by the way? I was concerned about the short turnaround but we actually got stronger as the game went on and in the last 20 you’d think it was Villa that had the bruising game Wednesday night.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Going to enjoy rewatching this on MOTD. Still buzzing! :D

Told my nervous Arsenal mad supporting auld 83 year old dear (who avoided the game today) when I phoned her that it was a draw, so she's in for a nice surprise when watching it too! :lol:

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

didnr see any of it or follow it till 90 mins when put bbc live updates on my phone in the holder in car as was driving, saw it flick to 3-2 then 4-2 as i stopped for petrol

thank fuck and notts forest, just sitt9ng down for motd!

f off emi

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:11 pm
If you kiss enough frogs you’ll eventually find your prince.

I reckon we’ve finally gone and signed a non skid mark off the chavs :shock:

Yeah the sample size is small at just two games (and I’m 8 bottles in) but he’s been really good in both games so far. Tidy on the ball, good passer, slotted straight in so much so that at no point in either game did I think fuck we’re really missing Partey here.

Fair fucks to him he’s proved me wrong so far, long may it continue.
Great post Rodders and I think the one thing that stands out with Giorginho is that he does the simple things well, he is good in possession and finds a decent pass. He knows he needs to lay it off quickly because he's not blessed with pace. The football intelligence of Giorginho and Xhaka are like night and day but even when Partey is fit, you can be sure it will be Partey and Xhaka in midfield, must be some Arteta nudes that Xhaka has, only explanation :)

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

Just watching MOTD.
Xhaka for the 2nd goal is shocking. The ball actually goes through his legs before Coutinho hits it.

He really does need to be dropped and Tierney needs to be at LB. I think Zinchenko will be great in Xhaka's position.
I'd also let Partey get better for the run in.
We've 2 home games against relegation candidates
In the next 3 games. Jorginho good enough for those. He's actually a very good footballer though of course is getting on a bit.

augie

Post by augie »

I havent seen any of the game yet cos I was driving 2 fcuking hours to watch my youngest play, and I was listening to Bt commentary as I was driving, but I still wanted to read every post on this thread to see how opinions differed.

Tbh to come from behind (steady on) TWICE and coming off 3 defeats in 4 games I would have been delighted with a draw, but to win it like that, showing the character needed to win in injury time is absolutely fcuking massive - I'll be honest and say that for this first time this season I am maybe wondering if we can actually win the league :shock:

After reading the comments about zinchenko on this thread, I do want to add my tuppence worth - as many of you know I never wanted us to sign him and said at the time that he is not good enough defensively, BUT I will say that he has won me over some since to the point that I think that he is integral to the way we play. Fans can have a go at him being out of position on the pitch but it needs to be said that those are the tactics and instructions he has been given by arteta - a lot of our positive play on the ball comes from he drifting into the middle to link up the game, so there are pluses and minuses to now stop him from doing that. Personally I would play Tierney at left back and move zinchenko into midfield alongside (not ahead of) partey and use them two as your launchpad to start our attacks. Of course it goes without saying that I would be starting smith-rowe in the 10 ahead of them instead of captain invisible, but I know I am fighting a lone battle on that front

Nketieh has to go - it is self harm on a wenger level to keep picking him. Play martinelli in there and leave trossard on the wing. It makes too much sense but let us not forget that last season when we all wanted nketieh sold/released, the basque fool was talking him up when he wasnt even scoring and it is sooo similar to the way he backs the swiss c.unt when nobody else wants him.